Start by marking “Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)

Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  895 ratings  ·  157 reviews
London Harcourt jumps at the chance to join her father on a voyage to the Greek isles, where she meets Bennett Day. Day is a ladies' man, when he's not dodging lethal attacks to protect the powers of the ancients from men like London's father, who wants to subjugate the world's magic to British rule.
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Scoundrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scoundrel

Warrior by Zoe ArcherScoundrel by Zoe ArcherRebel by Zoe ArcherStranger by Zoe Archer
The Blades of the Rose
2nd out of 4 books — 15 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerOutlander by Diana GabaldonDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonVoyager by Diana GabaldonChangeless by Gail Carriger
Historical Paranormal Romance
25th out of 330 books — 375 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
Oct 04, 2010 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of steamy historical & paranormal romance with action, adventure & charming rake heroes
5+ stars – Paranormal Romance

This is another kick-ass read in the awesome, wildly entertaining The Blades of the Rose series that’s an intriguing, unique blend of Victorian-era historical and paranormal. Scoundrel is an exciting combination of action, adventure, magic, mystery, treasure hunting, seafaring, dangerous intrigue, humor, and steamy romance with an exotic Greek setting and fabulous characters.

It reads like a thrilling action-adventure movie that grabbed my attention from the very fir
Rane
Nov 08, 2010 Rane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rane by: Shawna
I didn’t think it would be possible for this series to get any better, but Zoe Archer proved me wrong with Scoundrel. Everything that made Warrior great only made Scoundrel better. The more ZA builds this world of The Blades of the Rose; the need to want to know more just keeps growing.

This time around the setting is Greece and their islands, while it didn’t go as in depth as Warrior did in the culture, it turned out to be done very well, with most of the story revolving around island jumping
Catherine
4.5 Stars

This was an excellent follow up to the fabulous first book, Warrior. I was pretty stoked about that, because it gives me confidence about how the rest of the series will turn out! Sometimes an author just cannot live up to how excellent the first book in a series is, and it is such a disappointment to the reader. That's not the case here!

I think the author made an exceedingly smart choice by moving the location of this book. We aren't in Mongolia with this one, we're in Greece and the i
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
With Scoundrel, Ms. Archer takes us adventure-loving romantics on a splendid journey around the Aegean Sea on the hunt for mystical treasure. Readers who enjoy Indiana Jones will get a kick out of this book, with its very real magic and a dash of steampunk-like adventure.

London is an admirable heroine. Despite the way she was raised, she wants to live her life, and have something grand to contribute. It took a lot of courage for her to break free from her family's expectations and restrictions,
Lisa Kay
caique (Greek fishing boad)
description

Loved this one. Why did I wait so long to continue this second in the Blades of the Rose series? It is a wonderful paranormal-romance action-adventure set in a stunning local: Greece! I enjoy a good “road trip” story, and this is one that takes place on the ocean. Seems to me to have more romance this time around than the first one did, or is that just my imagination? There’s certainly magic in the air, as well as on the sea. A delight!

I was as enchanted with the hero
Beanbag Love
Four and a half stars rounded up.

I liked this installment in the "Blades of the Rose" series better than the previous. "Warrior" was very good, but this one captured my attention earlier and kept it longer. I really enjoyed the action and the romance -- it was an excellent mix.

The leads are great. Bennet is an unrepentant ladies' man and London is just finding her way in a totally new world. Their chemistry was very apparent and they were an engaging couple throughout. I did skim through some o
Quinn
Now that’s what I’m talking about! Scoundrel was the experience I was hoping and expecting to have with Warrior. What a relief to know that there’s nothing wrong with me after all! Now, I can completely understand the hype for this series. Loved. It. I may even consider joining the fangirl ranks if the next book hits me like this one did.

Before I go any further, if there’s anyone reading this review who, like me, was a little under-whelmed by Warrior, give the series another chance with this boo
Keri
This book was even better than the first one and I didn't think that would be possible. What I love about these stories is that we don't have silly fighting between our h/h. Instead we get them forming a strong and loving team in which to fight against evil.

These books are kind of like the Indiana Jones series except with a lot more romance and sex. Again Ms. Archer has given us two strong personalities that really work well together. I really liked Bennett and London as a couple. I am looking
Audrey
Feb 06, 2012 Audrey marked it as dnf-not-now-maybe-never
Okay, I turned the page and saw two pages that contained a total of four paragraphs (two paragraphs on each page). Seriously? I can only take so much description, author.

This book gets the inaugural spot on my brand spankin' new "not-now-maybe-never" shelf. So...as I enter "don't finish a book you don't think you'll like" rehab, I am *deep breath* setting this one aside. *sobs* It's so hard to break my typical MO of always always finishing a book, but as so many people have pointed out, there ar
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
In the second of the Blades of the Rose series, we see Bennett Day, the charming scoundrel, in a race across the seas with the Heirs of Albion to try and find a powerful sourse and keep it out of the Heirs hands. However, the only person who can read the ancient writings leading to the source is London Harcourt, the widow of a man he has killed, daughter to Joseph Edgworth the leader of the Heirs and the woman he cannot get out of his mind...

This was another great book in the cover, with another
~Megan~
I monkey in hats this series!!!

I enjoyed Warrior so much, and was a little worried Scoundrel couldn't live up to it, but it completely did. Bennett was a super sexy hero, and I loved London's strength and determination. She was no wilting flower heroine.

This book/series is filled with magic and adventure, and it's really so different from anything out there right now. It's paranormal with a lighthearted twist. So many paranormal series get bogged down in drama and intensity, and while these book
AH
That was fun!

Bring on the popcorn, cue the Indiana Jones theme music, and let the adventure begin! Scoundrel brings to mind those action/adventure movies I loved as a child. It’s a cross between the Indiana Jones movies and those old Sinbad movies – remember those? They had really bad special effects but were oh, so fun.

Scoundrel is a combination of a treasure hunt and a race to protect these special artifacts called Sources. The Source objects are protected by a secret dedicated group of men a
Kathleen
LOVED IT! I must say that Scoundrel did amaze me. Someone should make these book's into movie. Of course they would have to tame the heat down LOL.
Once again Zoe Archer has used her wonderful imagination in this book too. She wove a great story with love, magic and honor. This book was exciting from beginning to end. Non stop action with fantastic characters. I have no doubt in my mind that I will continue on with the next book, Rebel.
May
Sep 28, 2010 May rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who gets that ye olde setting + dash of magic + adventure + romance = awesome
Great characters, a vivid setting (sailing waters around Greece), thrilling adventure, and sizzling romance... another home run by Zoe Archer.

This series is about the Blades of the Rose, a secret group who's mission is to protect the ancient sources of magic. I really appreciate that such care is given to the details, and the magical elements aren't over the top. It's a top notch series so far!

(year: 1875) The daughter of an evil leader (but she doesn't know it), London raised herself secretly
Carolyn F.
I have no idea why this book took me so long to finish. I would read a little and then think, "I should check my e-mails." Then read some more and then think, "I should clean the bathroom." I thought it would grab me the way Warrior had but it didn't.

This book had Bennett Day, from book #1, meeting his arch enemies' daughter in a marketplace. London is on her first trip outside of England after her mourning period is done. She thinks it's a vacation, but finds out that her father is not as nice
Ruth
Again, a great story with a great hero/heroine combination and fantastic weaving of magic. Also, amazingly, and just like the first in the series, the cover is EXACTLY how I imagine the hero would look. The way the Greek setting is used to incorporate mythology is really lovely.

I like the way the heroine manages to move from frustration at the way her position restrains her to focusing on the recovery and safe-keeping of the Source. It's nicely done, and means that the characters progress in a
Jocelyn Zombie
Second book in this series, and I've got a much better idea of why I'm not loving it. The motivations are too simple, too black and white. It's not morally complicated, and without that confusion, I lose interest.

The descriptive elements are really well done, the descriptions of Greece seemed really pretty, but it's built on a frame that's way too simple. Also, it's very plot ticket-y. Like the Indiana Jones movies, sometimes this works, and sometimes it makes my eyes roll a bit.

Overall, I'm not
Katyana
I loved it! Even more than the first one! This series is so much fun, and Bennett Day's story absolutely did not disappoint. I can't wait for the next one!!
Bry
What I adore about these books is that there is a fucking plot!! Seriously! A romance novel with an honest to god good plot! I was amazed when I realized this in the first book and so happy to discover it wasn't just an accident, but that this book has one too! And it was awesome!

I loved the characters of Bennett and London. He was a total unrepentant rouge and she was so intelligent and eager for life! It was refreshing to have characters who didn't apologize for their personalities even if oth
Ren
Re-read in February 2011
More than 5 stars

Just wanna said :

Bennett Day (his name was from Elizabeth Bennett, from the famous Pride and Prejudice, blame his mother because of that, but he lucky than his brother that have name Fitzwilliam Darcy Day *lol*) really a rake, rogue, charmer, cheat, bastard, libertine, a SCOUNDREL , but he finally meet his downfall in Victoria Regina Gloriana London Edgeworth Harcourt (fyuuuh, really long name, eh?) or London Harcourt for the short.

The conclusion :
Gina

The Blades are trying to save magic once again in book 2 of this series. This books is about London Harcourt, she is coming out of official mourning and she is ready to start living her life. What London finds out is her father is a member of The Heir's, the group who is trying to steal magic for their own use. Bennett Day is a member of the the Blades and man who loves to be a scoundrel, he loves women, loves sex.

Once again I am immersed in another world, magic, adventure, passion, sex, and it'
Felicia
Wellllll I dunno, this one didn't thrill me like the first (Warrior) did. I guess I didn't love the protagonist girl as much and the bad guys were SO BAD, like "muhahahah"-ville.

There was a lot that COULD have been more interesting, but the reality checks didn't work for me (like SPOILER: she was so easy to leave her family, but how was she actually gonna pay the bills if the Blades didn't take care of her? In that age, there weren't a lot of lady options, you know? Seemed like some interesting
Stamatia
This author has a great way with words. The scenes of sailing on a caique in the Aegean are nothing short of amazing. They are sooo incredibly close to the real thing! She either has those sort of experiences or she has made some extremely thorough research. It's very refreshing to finally see a writer do homage to the real habits of the greek islanders. Aside from that I was vastly entertained by the plot and characters both in this book and the first in the series. Anyone who enjoys adventure ...more
Tonileg
Archaeology and historical romance... why not? Can a unrepentant rake, Bennett Day fall in love with an innocent English lady linguist? I really go into the mystery and the voyage into Greece in this story because I know so much of the history plus I've traveled around Greece so my mind was filled with beautiful vistas and memories. I did have a problem with the development of innocent London. She was a smart brave heroine, bit I had a hard time believing that she would so quickly give up her en ...more
Julie
With its action, adventure, danger, magic and romance mixed with exotic locales, wonderful characters and slimy bad guys all wrapped in the author’s talent for storytelling, this is a wonderful and fun series. And I am really enjoying it.

“Scoundrel” in the second book in Zoe Archer’s The Blades of the Rose series. This time around we follow Bennett Day, a Blade (a secret society charged with guarding the world’s magic), who has been deployed to Greece where the annoying and self serving Heirs ha
Alice
After reading Warrior I wasn't sure if Zoe Archer could keep up the great momentum she got going. I am happy to say she did. I loved Bennett & London as much as I did Thalia & Gabriel. Another great location, Greek Isles, and more great action, adventure, magic and romance.

Bennett & London's connection was both steamy and so sweet. After reading so many books where the rake/womanizing/scoundrel leading man has never felt love and is resistant to it it's nice to get a book about one
Karen
I have been enjoying this difficult to categorize series (a blend of historical romance, paranormal and action adventure) and Scoundrel is my absolute favorite so far! I love everything about this book. From the incredibly sexy Bennett, the romance, to the setting of Greece - this is one exciting ride.
Bennett is the scoundrel in question when he stumbles upon London Harcourt. He rides in to save the damsel in distress but of course as with all of Zoe’s books, London can take care of herself. In
Lynette
If you remember, the other week I reviewed WARRIOR, the first book in Zoe Archer's Blades of the Rose series. I stated that I loved the premise, but the pacing and other factors made me not connect to the story like I wanted to. I stated that I would keep reading the series because the premise was so unique and interesting. So, I picked up SCOUNDREL not expecting much and . . .

I was like WOW!

I laughed from the first page and SCOUNDREL didn't disappoint as I kept reading. I think now that the pro
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Barbara ★
This is a really exciting, non-stop action story of Blades of the Rose agent Bennett Day and the leader of the Heirs of Albion's daughter, London Harcourt as they finagle their way through lots of clues and danger to find the Eye of Colossus (Greek Fire). I totally loved Victoria Regina Gloriana London Edgewater Harcourt (geesh what a handle) - good thing she goes by London. It's always nice to see a playboy finally find the one and unexpectedly fall head over heels for the enemies daughter. The ...more
SCOUNDREL is PW's Pick of the Week! 1 8 Aug 09, 2010 11:54AM
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Bound By Sin (Cin Craven, #3)
  • Midnight (Dark Age Dawning, #2)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • The Slayer (The Legend Chronicles, #2)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Wilder's Mate (Bloodhounds, #1)
  • A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven #2)
Zoe Archer is an award-winning romance author who thinks there's nothing sexier than a man in tall boots and a waistcoat. As a child, she never dreamed about being the rescued princess, but wanted to kick butt right beside the hero. She now applies her master's degrees in Literature and Fiction to creating butt-kicking heroines and heroes in tall boots. She is the author of the acclaimed BLADES OF ...more
More about Zoe Archer...

The Blades of the Rose (4 books)
  • Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1)
  • Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3)
  • Stranger (The Blades of the Rose, #4)
Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3) Stranger (The Blades of the Rose, #4) Devil's Kiss (The Hellraisers, #1) Collision Course (8th Wing #1)

“There's always truth in seduction. That's why it works.” 8 likes
“She buried her face against his chest, solid and broad, allowing herself this moment to fully lean on him, take some of the strength he readily offered. "I don't regret my choice," she said, her voice muffled as she pressed herself tight. "If I had to, I'd make the exact same decisions. But it hurts so damned much."

"Give me your pain, love," he said holding her against the steady beat of his heart. "Let me take it for you."

She shook her head. "No, the pain is mine to bear. I need it." She took a ragged breath. "To make me stronger.”
7 likes