Start by marking “The Bite Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Bite Before Christmas

The Bite Before Christmas

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  625 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Where do single vampires go when they're looking for romance? To Love Bites, of course, Angelina Bertolli's highly successful, top secret vampire dating agency. Angelina helps three mortals find love in this trilogy of sexy, witty, irresistible vampire novellas.
Published October 1st 2010 by Brava (first published September 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bite Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bite Before Christmas

Rebecca (everyday reader)
Three vampire Christmas stories of love and togetherness during the holidays. An event planner falls for her employer and vice-versa. Co-workers open up to their feelings for one another when a brain tumor threatens to seperate them permanently. A vampire matchmaker finds out what could have been if she and her lover were never turned. Great read!!
Katja
Sep 28, 2014 Katja rated it it was ok
Three paranormal romance short stories. Sadly, they got worse as the book went along. The first story was OK. It suffered from the common romance short story problem that things resolved too quickly between the characters (usually not the start for a lasting romance...and this one has to last a looooong time, since vampires are practically immortal), but I can forgive that. Otherwise, the characters were reasonably interesting, with some entertaining secondary characters. The second story featur ...more
Lexie
Apr 17, 2014 Lexie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-once-owned
When you think of Christmas do you think of Vampires? Do you wonder if Vampires celebrate Christmas? I honestly don't tend to. Paranormal folks are all the range right now, but I wouldn't judge that trend by this collection however.

"All I Vant for Christmas"

I'm not a stranger to navigating prickly relatives during the holiday (just ask me how many serving platters we go through each year), but my family has nothing on Connor's perpetually college-age brother and sister. Jillian's handling of the
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
This one has been in my TBR FOREVER,...There are three separate stories that are all connected, the last two more so then the first one but they were all pretty good.

Of the three I think I liked the first one best and wish there had been a bit more to it....the second one...Sean was an asshat...and I think Vivian should have really made him work to get her after what he pulled (you will need to read to find out)...and the last one was the vampire version of Its a Wonderful Life...entertaining...
Shaunesay Eslanai
Dec 27, 2010 Shaunesay Eslanai rated it liked it
A fun read, but noticed something... the names of the men on the back of the book, are completely different than the men in the actual stories! And the guy on the front, really doesn't match any of the characters I don't think, so who's he supposed to be? They should have had Angelina in a nice red vampy satin dress or something!
Becca {{Lady Kilt Chaser}}
I read this book because of the title alone, it just made me laugh. The Bite Before Christmas is 3 different short stories....they were all very cute stories and makes me want to check out Heidi Betts other stories! Definitely some VERY hot moments and some very sweet romantic moments :)
LadyCalico
Oct 24, 2010 LadyCalico rated it it was ok
Meh, three rather mediocre love stories with poorly developed plots and characters, who weren't made any more interesting just by making them vampires.
Ruth
Nov 13, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
ok. Kind of cheezy but a fun quick read. 3 short stories with loosly connected characters.
Misfit
Aug 17, 2012 Misfit marked it as will-never-read
"All I Van for Christmas"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Barb
Mar 30, 2013 Barb rated it really liked it
In Heidi Betts's collection of holiday novellas, vampires turn to Angelina Bertolli—vampire matchmaker extraordinaire—to help them find that special someone to curl up with under the mistletoe. . .

"All I Vant For Christmas"

Connor loves trimming the Christmas tree, baking gingerbread cookies, and hanging the mistletoe. But his vampire siblings won't help. His friend Angelina sends party planner Jillian to the rescue. But when Jillian, who's mortal, discovers she's decking the halls for a family o
Jolene
Oct 03, 2010 Jolene rated it liked it
Shelves: contests
This is the first book that I've read from Heidi Betts, and from what I've heard, it's her first paranormal romance. This book is split into three sepreate stories where the hero from the first story Connor, and the heroine from the second story Vivian are both friends with the heroine from the third story Angelina. The vampires are out of the coffin so to speak in these stories and mortals know of their existance, but don't really know much about them. There are some information books to be fou ...more
LynnMarie
Oct 05, 2010 LynnMarie rated it it was amazing
Hunter’s Review

This a wonderful book filled with three short stories that follow the matchmaking of a vampire named Angelina, whose clientele are the rich and famous vampires in her area. In this book, the idea is that vampires have come out to humans as existing and are not productive members of society although humans are still wary of them and prejudice does exist.

The first story, “All I Vant for Christmas,” is about Connor and Jillian. Connor is a very rich vampire who wants to celebrate t
Michelle ♣ Ndayeni
This collection of short stories actually reads more like a novel that has a shifting focus since the stories are all linked via characters in common. Angelina, the matchmaker, is the primary linking figure, though we only see her more or less in passing until the third story, which focuses on her. The first and second stories had premises that could easily have been developed out to novel length on their own and not suffered for it, though they also work fine as short stories and don't feel lik ...more
Sandie
Nov 05, 2011 Sandie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Christmas stories, I like vampire stories and I like romance stories. I am a bigger fan of books that are a series rather then short stories, but short stories are fun, too! I bought this book based on the title and the cover, I am not familiar with this writer.

Lot of cliche phrases in this book...which don't really bother me much but if your looking for a deep and meaningful book this isn't it. It was fun, but best for a quick, fun, fluffy read.

Each story is based on a couple and all t
Cathy
Fun story about vampires, known to general society, who face some of the same challenges as their human friends. This is actually 3 shorter stories woven about a central theme: Christmas.

In the first: Connor Drake, millionaire vamp and restauranteur, wants nothing more than a traditional Christmas with his younger brother and sister, the vamps Liam and Maeve. Friend Angelina recommends a party planner, the very human Jillian. Jillian, a little down on herself since her boyfriend cheated on her w
Kala
Oct 31, 2011 Kala rated it it was ok
I was not very impressed with these books, though I have enjoyed Heidi Betts novels in the past. It's possible I just don't like a novella length romance - I do not read them often. Also, these three books (especially the first two) were more erotica than romance, which I was not expecting.

I feel like the focus was too much on sex and not enough on the characters and forging a romance. The sex scenes were very long and drawn out, and the characters spent very little time interacting with each o
Holly
Nov 19, 2010 Holly rated it it was ok
It's that time of year again, where it's cooling off outside and I'm praying that thunderstorms turn into snow storms. So I was really excited when my mom told me she'd found a Christmas book that had vampires. Double whammy, right? Wrong.

Christmas was hardly prevalent at all. Mostly it's like, "Oh, it's December 24th. Well, Merry Christmas! What's for dinner...?" Stuff just happened to happen in the Christmas season. I would not call this a Christmas book.

Also, I thought it would be a little mo
Tracy
Nice Set of PNR Holiday Novellas
All I Vant for Christmas:
Connor Drake's deepest holiday wish is an old fashioned Christmas the likes of which he fondly remembers from his humanity, full of family and love. His reluctant and recalcitrant younger brother and sister, however, can hardly be bothered. As a favor for her good friend, vampire matchmaker Angelina Ricci sends him Jillian Parker, a young...and human...event coordinator starting to make a name for herself. Jillian understands intellectual
Darin Calhoun
Jan 04, 2012 Darin Calhoun rated it really liked it
First off, the title of this book clearly makes this a light read so I'm putting away the long knives. I tried to read this book as a lighthearted romantic story, and it succeeded. I found the three stories All I Vant For Christmas, A Vampire In Her Stocking, and It's A Wonderful Bite to be entertaining. On the hotness scale, this book does have sizzling explicit scenes. But in places I did slap myself in the forehead and did my best Homer Simpson impersonation, "DOH!" I'll share some of my favo ...more
Amanda
I got this one free through my Kindle and figured "what the heck?" It seemed like something that might amuse me and probably would be a little different.

The Bite Before Christmas contains three short stories. I'm not usually a fan of shorts just because I like details and I feel like I don't have time to really *love* the characters. The reason I read is to get lost in a story. I find I'm not able to do that with a shorter book.

TBBC was cute and probably what I was expecting. It follows three co
Kezermezer
Sep 25, 2011 Kezermezer rated it it was ok
Meh. This book was OK for a quick litte fluffy read, I suppose. The biggest problem Betts has is her style of writing. Her word flow is uninspiring and her phraseology is frequently painfully corny, cliched and awkward. Some examples:

- "What Angelina hadn't told him was that Jillian Parker was hot with a capital H and two Ts."

- "Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl" spun through Jillian's head, only in her version, it was "I Kissed a Vampire"."

- "...but the only thing going through her head at that mo
Kelly
Oct 15, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I usually stay far away from short story collections because I nearly always end up disappointed, but this was a free Kindle download and I couldn't resist. I've never read anything by this author before and I already had lowered expectations due to the whole short story thing, so I was pleasantly surprised to find myself genuinely enjoying the characters and the alternate world that Heidi Betts has created.

My favorite was the first story. Jillian was genuinely clueless when it came to vampires
Jo
Dec 26, 2015 Jo rated it it was ok
2.5 stars, rounded down.

So, these three stories are all interconnected. Same vampire universe, right? In one story, if you un-stake a vampire, they'll start to heal. You have to leave the stake in while you cut off the head and burn the pieces in two separate places. But then in the last story, you stake a vampire and they go poofy-ashy, Buffy-style. This is a problem for me. I like consistency. Where is my consistency?
Missyb
Dec 21, 2012 Missyb rated it liked it
I liked the characters in "All I Vant For Christmas". It's about Connor and his two siblings who drive him nuts acting like teenagers, & Jillian a events coordinator. It starts with them having a horrible Thanksgiving dinner, and then Connor asks for help with making Christmas better (he wants a nice family Christmas). He gets the name of an events planner and hires her to make his place holiday ready and to plan a Christmas dinner & party. This is a short story so not much time to devel ...more
Marina
Dec 09, 2012 Marina rated it really liked it
This is a fun antho.Three connected stories full of love and vampires.I give it 3 to 4 stars overall. Super sweet fun.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self: Boston
"All I want for Christmas" Connor Drake(36yo,eldest bro,vamp,pal,restauranteur)+Jillian Parker (33yo, mortal,event coordinator),Liam D.(middle bro,21yo/100+yo,vamp),Maeve D.(youngest sis, 19yo/100+yo, vamp),Angelina Ricci(pal,vamp,matchmaker).

"A Vampire
Melissa
Jun 25, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
The Bite Before Christmas was a cute read. The three independent stories inside are tied together by the vampire matchmaker Angelina. She is what brings the first two stories' characters together. Then the third story is her own. The first story "All I Vant for Christmas" was my favorite. Connor was a stuffy guy who wanted a "real" holiday but his family wouldn't comply. When he got help from a professional party planner, life changed for the better.

The sex in the stories is sizzling and will m
This book is really a collection of three related novellas, and although I'm not against something like that, in this case it didn't work for me. Each of the three stories doesn't get a chance to go enough in depth to really draw me in. I liked the idea of the first story, but just as we get to the point where the guy and girl get together, that novella is over and we cut to the other two. The HEA from the first story is implied during part of the third story, but, I wanted to actually see how t ...more
Read, Run, Ramble
Well I'm back at 3.5 (we need 1/2 stars Goodreads)!!

I really enjoyed these short tales. The Bite Before Christmas contains 3 novellas and while all have their own, separate story line they also all tie nicely and closely together. It was pretty much like a timeline, but followed different "main" characters in each.

All three tales are those of romance and love with a bit of bodice ripping - some more so than others. I loved all of the characters - literally. Betts did a fabulous job of creating f
Jenny
Apr 28, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a really enjoyable trio of stories! I especially loved the last one with Angelina and Ian, it's similar to It's a Wonderful Life movie storyline. I will look for more books from this author.
Shelley
This Christmas story is actually 3 novellas in one. The first one is about millionaire vampire Connor Drake who is desperate to get his home in the holiday spirit. His vampire friend, matchmaker Angelina, sets him up with event planner Jillian. The second story is about Angelina's fried Vivian, who is madly in love with her coworker and is devastated when he tells her he is dying. And the third story is about Angelina herself, who has an "It's a Wonderful Life" style intervention regarding her o ...more
New Vampire Hotness From Heidi Betts 1 2 Sep 29, 2011 09:33AM
A New Christmas Romance From Heidi Betts 1 3 Dec 08, 2010 08:38AM
  • Twas the Night
  • The Matchmakers
  • Holiday With A Vampire: Christmas Cravings / Fate Calls (The Calling #6.5)
  • The Bite of Silence (Biting Love, #3)
  • Holiday with a Vampire III (Secret Vampire Society #2)
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas
  • Wickedly Charming (Fates #7)
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • Half Past Dead: The Undying Heart / Simon Says (The Blades of the Rose, #0.5; Guardians of the Dark, #1)
  • Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1)
  • Dating Mr. December
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • The Sacrifice (Forbidden, #1)
  • Big Girls Don't Die (In the Heat of the Night, Book 2)
  • Mozart's Blood
  • My Christmas Wish
  • Holiday with a Vampire II
USA Today bestselling author Heidi Betts is the daughter of an Arabian sheik and a Las Vegas showgirl, as well as the heiress to the Chocolate is Better Than Sex Candy Company fortune. Because of this, she eats chocolate in all its many delicious forms for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in-between snacks . . . without ever gaining an ounce on her perfect five-foot-nine, size zero figure.

Each and ev
More about Heidi Betts...

“. . . she jumped to her feet and hurried off, returning only seconds later with a dark brown bottle and a coffee mug that said And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.” 4 likes