Nice and Mean

Nice and Mean

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Marina is mean. Sachi is nice. Marina is Barney’s. Sachi is Burlington Coat Factory. It’s bad enough they’re forced to coexist in their middle-school’s high-profile video elective—but now they’re being forced to work together on the big semester project. Marina’s objective? Out her wannabe BFF as a fashi...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Aladdin (first published May 20th 2010)

Ari
One of my favorite part of the book is when Sachi and Priyanka talk abouthow every few years or so, Indian culture becomes popular (bhangra music, people start wearing variations of saris, etc.) and then interest dies out. I thought this was an interesting point that was brought up and I enjoyed reading about Sachi exploring the topic. Fashion trends can change, but it's not right that every couple of years one culture or another becomes "in" and then later on, it's "out."

Nice and Mean is a cute...more
Katelyn
Jul 16, 2010 Katelyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
If you're looking for a cute, fun and fresh middle grade read, look no further. Jessica Leader was able to bring out the personalities, situations and attitudes of typical middle school students in Nice and Mean. The unique idea of having the two main characters, Marina and Sachi, compile a video compilation together for an end of year school project would be one thing, but these two girls are from opposite ends of the spectrum in every way you can imagine and it's hilarious to read.

This book di...more
Erin
I would have loved this in sixth grade. Captures the voice of the studious hard worker and the snarky fashionista perfectly. Well done.
In the book, Nice and Mean by Jessica Leader, the two main characters are Marina Glass and Sachi Parikh. Marina is considered the “mean” girl and Sachi the “nice” girl. Marina is popular and pretty, and Sachi is quiet and good at math. She lets people to tell her what to do and walk all over her, especially her friends. They both meet at an after school class, video. Sachi does something very unlike herself and forges her parents’ signature on the permission slip, for they want her to sign up fo...more
Kelsey
Jul 04, 2010 Kelsey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arcs
With so many fabulous YA novels out on the market, I rarely venture to read middle grade. I'm so glad I decided to pick up Nice and Mean, though, it was a terrific read! Jessica Leader has a nice writing style and everything flows together well. She gets inside her character's heads, so they're even more believable and realistic. I liked how the narration switched between Sachi (the "nice" girl) and Marina (the "mean" girl). It was interesting to get both of their perspectives on things and also...more
Reading Vacation
REVIEW

We all know them. The mean girls at school. They are the ones who think they rule the school and bring others down just because they can. Their friends aren’t real though, because they are only being loyal out of fear. Marina is all-out mean.

Then there are the nice girls. Sometimes too nice, if you know what I mean. They can’t say no to anyone, and they get walked all over. Sachi falls into this “too nice” category.

Jessica Leader presents both sides of this story in a creative way. Marina’...more
Phoebe
This is a fresh, authentic tale of middle school diversity; not just group diversity, but also the diversity within one person--because each one of us is more than any "label."

As a first-generation American, I could identify with hardworking immigrant Sachi, who yearns to be more than just "Nice." Yet as an ex child-drama-queen, I could also identify with snooty, snarky Marina who is up to her earrings in social drama (most of which is her own dang fault). Both voices are unique and bursting wit...more
Alex
I read this a few years ago, as Leader is a local author and I love me some children's/YA lit. I don't read *too* much middle grade stuff, but I remember enjoying the story a lot. Sachi also seemed to be a well-formed character who wasn't thrust into Indian stereotypes, which I also appreciated. A little bit predictable, yeah (of course both girls are going to learn from one another), but that's to be expected of the genre. I should maybe go back and re-read this one, now that I'm older.
Abby Johnson
When mean girl Marina and nice girl Sachi are partnered for a video project, can they put aside their differences to make the project work?

This is a great middle-grade read with authentic, diverse characters and a lot of heart. Details about fashion and creating videos add a little sparkle to the story. I'd hand this to girls who liked Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle or shug by Jenny Han.

More on the blog: http://www.abbythelibrarian.com/2010/...
melissa1lbr
This was a fun and a bit frightening reminder of the way girls treat each other in junior high. The kids felt real, I loved how diverse the characters were, and I also liked how Marina didn't change overnight and become the nicest person ever. I also liked Sachi's story of beginning to be something other than just the nice girl. Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.
Susan
A fun foray into tween culture as a nice girl Sachi and mean girl Marina sign up for a video class, each with their own secret agenda. The author does a great job of getting into the heads of each of the girls. The situations and characters feel authentic, and I really cared about what would happen. It's a great read for middle grade girls, but older teens will also recognize the conflicts and apppreciate the issues that are raised.
Katie
This was a delightful book that was a reminder of how stressful middle school can be for girls. What's popular? Who's popular? I really enjoyed this book and will enjoy hearing what my daughter thinks of it once she gets done reading it. It's nice to have books out there that a Mother and daughter can both read. Thanks Jessica Leader!
Melanie Hughes
Definitely a nice and fun read. Having heard the author last month at Destinations Booksellers made this a title I wanted to finish. She did a great job of discussing the difficulties of being an immigrant family, and all the ups and downs and drama of middle school girl friendships.
Rad
I don't know how Jessica Leader managed to take someone as seemingly nasty as Marina and make her into such an entertaining, likable character. I was seriously rooting for her the whole time.

Okay, well obviously I was rooting for Sachi. But I can root for two people, can't I?
Taylor
Adorable! Jessica writes for the same imprint as I do, so naturally I was anxious to read her book. I loved how vastly different her two main characters were and the movie plot really hooked me in. This book is definitely woo.
Jessica Lowman
I enjoyed reading this book. It showed the diversity between each person and what they liked. It had many twist and turns in which things got done. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fun books
Carol
This is a fun, well crafted book for tweens that takes readers on several unexpected twists and turns, yet manages to bring the story satisfactory conclusion.
Mojo
I don't really like it. No surprising events or conflicts, not that much climax. Overall, not a great read but it was okay.
Cassidy
I thought this book was pretty boring. I didnt think it really had flow to it. Sorry Guys!
Rebecca Maizel
I love this book! The voice is brilliant and the alternating pov really worked. Love Love Love!
Silly Miwa
I really like it! Sachi Parikh is my favorite.
Lori
I liked the ending.
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Haleen
Haleen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jazmyn
Jazmyn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Bushra Raza
Bushra Raza marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Sierra Olson
Sierra Olson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
  • The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt
  • The Grand Plan to Fix Everything
  • Parched
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel
  • Bird
  • Middleworld (Jaguar Stones, #1)
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #1)
  • The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • Trapped
  • Invisible Lines
  • Eighth-Grade Superzero
  • The Cruisers (Cruisers, #1)
  • This Is Me From Now On