Start by marking “Eye for Eye” as Want to Read:
Eye for Eye

Eye for Eye

Mick Winger is only 17 - and already he's killed over a dozen people. Nor on purpose; he never meant to hurt anyone. But when Mick gets angry, people die, even the people he loves the most. Now he's on the run from his own terrible talent, and from those who would use his power for their own purposes.
Audio CD, 3 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Request Audiobooks (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Eye for Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye for Eye

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Review originally published on www.fantasyliterature.com:

Orson Scott Card’s novella Eye for Eye is in the form of an interview… or an interrogation. Mick Winger, a seventeen year old boy who is being questioned by an unknown person, tries to explain that he understands it’s wrong to kill people, especially if whatever they’ve done to make Mick angry isn’t enough to justify killing them. The problem is, whoever makes Mick angry has a high likelihood of dying of some form of cancer. Mick has gradu
Elar
Jan 20, 2015 Elar rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
If our thoughts and looks could kill we would not have overpopulation issues, but at least some of us would have deep ethical troubles.
Rich Baker
I read Ender's Game recently and loved it. So, I thought I'd read as many OSC books as my library had. I picked up The Lost Gate and finished it despite the fact that it was boring as could be. I hoped that that particular book was simply a fluke. But Eye for Eye is on par with that. I couldn't finish it. I was so bored. I didn't care about the characters. The narrator does a terrible job of invoking any sense of interest for me. I can't tell if it's his portrayal or the text or both, but either ...more
Ann
Jul 01, 2015 Ann rated it liked it
Great gripping read, though science-fiction not a genre I normally appreciate. Great author, will read more of his work. Would have been 4 star except that a novella, and not a totally developed plot or maturation of character. A very intrigue ridden, though-provoking story. A story & idea I will remember.
B.  Barron
Jan 05, 2012 B. Barron rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
A solid, if uninspiring, story by a solid, if uninspiring, author.
Don t get me wrong, he is good – but this isn’t his best work.

1/6/12 – Addendum:
on second thought I have given this book a three-star rating. I was disappointed in it, but it didn’t deserve my initial two-star rating based upon its own merit. It deserves a three.

I gave it the lower rating because a recognized, mainstream, published author like OSC should be better IMOP. I don’t think he would be able to break into the market today
LibraryCin
Mick figured out when he was a child that there was something odd about himself. When angry at someone, he could "kill" them by striking them with cancer. He has tried hard to control this because he does not want to be responsible for killing anyone..

It was o.k. It just didn't live up to the description for me, but it was still o.k., just not as good as I'd hoped. It's very short, though, so it didn't take long to listen to.
Doren Damico
May 17, 2016 Doren Damico added it
Recommends it for: Orson Scott Card fans
Shelves: science-fiction
This short tale is captivating and a great use of first person. The premise is intriguing. There is kin group with the power to focus and direct their electromagnetic energy for killing or healing. They've been targeted by a group for culling because of their dangerous powers. Card is such a good story teller.
Lisa
3.5
Orson Scott Card creates interesting worlds with people that are more than just a little different.

You don't want to make Mick mad because he loses control of his thoughts, those thoughts can kill you! Mick is more dangerous than the Incredible Hulk because you never see him coming...unless you have similar powers!

More like a novela, you can whip through this one in no time!
Josh
May 23, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes sci-fi or fantasy
I've read lots of excellent books by Orson Scott Card, and lately I've read lots of not-so-good books by Orson Scott Card. This one, about a young man with an "interesting" problem, was one of his better books. It's not quite up there with Ender's Game, but it's well-written and fast-paced.
Jack Bradbury
Feb 17, 2014 Jack Bradbury rated it liked it
This was a fun audio story. It lacked that thing that makes most of OSC's books spectacular in my mind, but it was a fun and enjoyable read and Stefan Rudnicki yet again does a phenomenal job narrating.
Zoya Cheboksarova
Jun 01, 2014 Zoya Cheboksarova rated it it was amazing
I guess i've found a new favourite author )))
Sarah Nokleby
Sep 30, 2010 Sarah Nokleby rated it liked it
This was a short, interesting book. I am still processing what I thought of it, but it was definitely interesting in a twisted way.
Curtis Gibby
Jan 21, 2012 Curtis Gibby rated it really liked it
Interesting look at how you might go about cursing someone who'd made you angry. The character development was a little soft, but it was such a short story that it couldn't have been helped much.
Cameron Crest
Mar 03, 2011 Cameron Crest rated it it was amazing
Umm... READ THIS! Very good short story. Read it in one sitting. Very good.
Zach Sparks
Jul 02, 2012 Zach Sparks rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good, albeit short, audio book. I rather liked it.
Barbara
Apr 26, 2014 Barbara rated it liked it
short sweet interesting subject
JoAnne
Mar 09, 2014 JoAnne rated it really liked it
Finished last month; had to read it again. Unintentional murder; interesting. This story could have taken off. For a short read, it was still good.
Leonsky Grange
Jul 25, 2011 Leonsky Grange rated it liked it
too predictable
Eric Pelot
Dec 21, 2011 Eric Pelot rated it liked it
Quite short, but a fun story.
Therazor
Nov 27, 2012 Therazor rated it really liked it
Another great story by Card in the Alvin Makerverse. A unique quick hitter that keeps the reader engaged throughout.
C
Jun 16, 2012 C rated it liked it
Read in one sitting. Interesting and funny.
Marlee
Nov 22, 2015 Marlee rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this story. Though it was shorter than j normally like with a somewhat abrupt ending, I was quite captivated with the story and fascinated with the main idea.
Scott Wright
Mar 14, 2012 Scott Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great narrators as usual. Interesting story of power and inbreading.
Mckinley
Oct 03, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, short-story
Reminded me of Octavia Butler stories.
Charissa
Aug 13, 2010 Charissa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
point of view through 17 yr. old boy; story is "adolescent boy" crude in many spots. Interesting concept, and short read. Not my favorite though.
Claire Hessing
Dec 10, 2010 Claire Hessing rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This was short and pretty science fiction-y, but I really liked it
Tammy
Sep 28, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it
Not the best OSC book, by far.
Valerie
Jul 26, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
Very thought provoking, and a little freaky. Very Orson Scott Card.
Curtis Jensen
Jan 25, 2011 Curtis Jensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Quick fun read. Reminds me a little bit of the Heroes TV show.
Margy Levine Young
Nov 12, 2015 Margy Levine Young rated it really liked it
Zac was reading this novela so I decided to re-read it. Card is fun to read again!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • One Christmas
  • Stories
  • Final Blackout: A Futuristic War Novel
  • The Last of the Winnebagos
  • The Emperor's Three Questions
  • Riders of the Purple Wage
  • Adaptation: book I (Adaptation Series, #1)
  • The Elven King (Claimed Series, #1)
  • Fast Times at Fairmont High
  • The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You
  • Diary of the Displaced - Omnibus (Books 1-3)
  • Scandalous Heroes Box Set: Sensual Romance
  • Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)
  • Voodoo Queen: The Spirited Lives of Marie Laveau
  • A Snow Covered Moon (Twisted Eventide, #1)
  • Robota
  • The Stories of Heinrich Böll
  • What It Takes to Be Number One: Vince Lombardi on Leadership
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...