The Importance of Being Married

The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  1,866 ratings  ·  116 reviews
Jessica Wild isn’t big on commitment. But after inheriting millions from Grace, a sweet old lady she met in her grandmother’s nursing home, the situation seems to have changed. To put an end to the many questions about her nonexistent love life, Jess had led Grace to believe she had a boyfriend-turned-fiancé-turned-husband: her glamorous boss, Anthony Milton. But Jess’s fa...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Ballantine Books

Stina
This book was infinitely stupid. The characters were lame and forced, the plot was too much for me to willfully suspend my disbelief and the end was entirely predictable.

*EDIT* As a friend pointed out, both the title and cover suck, too.
Keris
I've heard a lot about Gemma Townley (mainly because she's Sophie Kinsella's sister), but this is the first book of hers I've read. At first I really enjoyed it - probably to about halfway - but then it started to become too farcical, too laboured and I was also tired of the main character, Jessica Wild, letting everyone push her around. (Rather like a Sophie Kinsella book, in fact. But Kinsella's books are much funnier and that's what keeps you reading.) There was also, I thought, a massive plo...more
Saralyn
Picked up this book because it has obvious reference to "The Importance of Being Earnest." The character's name was Jessica Wild. Um... Okay. So I was excited for a nice parody of said play. Well, I didn't find that parody. It started out okay, but steadily got worse until I put it down. Well, I read the end to see what happened and it was the lamest ending ever. Just take my word for it.
Christina
Zwei Gründe, die für dieses Buch sprechen: Interessante Idee und die Autorin ist die Schwester von ChickLit-Bestsellerautorin Sophie Kinsella.
Was man aus so einer Idee machen kann. Wie aus einer schlichten Lüge, um einer Freundin das Leben zu versüßen, ein solches Chaos wird.
Leider hat es Townley nicht sehr gut umgesetzt. Jess wurde von ihrer griesgrämigen Großmutter aufgezogen, nachdem ihre alleinerziehende Mutter bei einem Unfall ums Leben gekommen ist. Jess‘ Großvater hat ihre Großmutter kurz...more
Nikki
Light-hearted and witty modern fiction. The plot, while fun to follow and make sure you are right, is transparent and you know the end before you actually get there.

The fun is in the characters. Watching Jessica try to transform herself into someone else, while she knows what is most important all along. And the characters the author uses to help/hinder her protagonist, while again shallow, make the book fun to read.

While I greatly enjoyed this book it was somewhat lacking in the final copy. S...more
Emily
I read this book because I enjoyed another book I read recently by Townely, Little White Lies. I was worried when I started this book that it would be a little slow, like Little White Lies was. I was pleasantly surprised by this book though, once it got going it was like a freight train and couldn't be stopped even when the main character wants to.

The story is about Jessica Wild, an independent women who is not big on commitment or romance. She makes friends with an old lady in her grandmothe...more
Jessica Lawlor
The Importance of Being Married by Gemma Townley is the first in a 2-part series about Jessica Wild, a British advertising executive. While visiting her grandmother in the nursing home, Jessica meets Grace, an old lady who just needs someone to talk to. After Jessica’s grandmother passes, Jessica still visits Grace quite often and tells her stories of her fabulous life…..her fabulous pretend life, that is. Jessica can’t bear to disappoint Grace with stories from her mundane life, so she creates...more
Star Elda
The story is about someone claiming not needing love to live,brainwashed by her bitter grandmother.Then,she met a nice old lady,and for the sake of cheering her up,made up stories of her romance (eventually marriage) with her beyond-her-league boss.When the old lady dies,Jess is the sole inheritant for her wealth.The married Jess.In 50 days,she has to be married for real to get the money.
Yes,the book is predictable.The reason I bought it was the first few pages showed the main character,Jessica...more
ValeD.
Quando ho recensito il libro, Cura miracolosa per un’inguaribile romantica vi avevo accennato che Gemma Townley, cioè l’autrice, era la sorella di Sophie Kinsella, quello che non vi avevo detto che non ha scritto solo un libro, ma ben 5 o 6.
Quello di cui vi voglio parlare oggi è il primo di una trilogia molto divertente, si chiama L’importanza di essere sposata. La protagonista, Jessica, per gli amici Jess, dopo la morte di una sua anziana amica, scopre che questa le ha lasciato una bella eredi...more
Jen B
Jessica Wild was always perfectly content being single; she never really believed in marriage, anyway. But, during visits to her friend Grace in a London nursing home, Jessica entertains the elderly lady with a series of made up stories about her courtship and marriage to the sexy and thoroughly unattainable Anthony Milton - her boss. At first, Jess's stories seem like nothing more than a harmless way to entertain a lonely old lady; but when Grace dies and leaves Jessica a fortune - 4 million po...more
J.L.
Jennifer Thomson
The premise of the book is totally contrived and not believable. I however decided to read it anyway and try not to roll my eyes too much. I liked Jessica. She seemed very common, in a good way. She protests in all the right places, but does get pushed around too easily.

The editing should have been better! There are some glaring factual inconsistencies at the beginning, specifically about how long her grandfather stayed after she went to live with them. One place said 2 weeks, another said 1 mo...more
Jeanne
Sep 27, 2008 Jeanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all fans of chick lit
Shelves: chick-lit
Jessica Wild doesn't need a man, and she certainly doesn't need to get married. Her grandmother raised her to be independent, and she's pretty happy on her own. Nobody can convince her otherwise, until she meets Grace.

Grace lives at the same retirement home as Jess's grandmother. But after her grandmother dies, Jess continues to visit Sunnymead because she has found a friend in Grace. Grace is romantic, and Jessica feels pressured to exaggerate her love life in order to please Grace. Her exagger...more
Stephanie
Jenger
Although this wasn't my favorite Gemma Townley book, I did enjoy it. I had a hard time rating it because, for me, it fell between 'liked it' and 'really liked it'. I probably went with just 'liked it' because there were times in the book that Jess, the main character, seemed just too namby-pamby, especially since she was supposed to be this independent, cynical person. It became a bit annoying how wimpy she was with Marcia and Fenella. While the final twist in the story wasn't bad, some of it wa...more
Shanna
This book is part one of a trilogy about Jessica Wild, a independant single girl who is a bit of a cynic when it comes to love, relationships and marrige and her crazy "Project Marriage" scheme to inherit four million dollars!
In the process Jessica learns that marriage means a whole lot more then she originally thought.
It was a fun, easy read as most 'chick lits' are but I found it very predictable and pretty much knew the ending before I read it..although there was one little twist that surpr...more
Carla
I did enjoy the premise of this book but grew tired of it about half way through. Jessica became more fun as the story unfolded but I found her and her friend Helen irritating at times. I'm sorry to say that I thought I knew what the "twist" was going to be early on but I didn't completely figure out the "twist" until it neared the end. Jessica ultimately needed to realize that being true to herself would be the way to find real love. This is a fun, quick beach read for anyone who enjoys chick l...more
I keep picking up British chick lit without meaning to. But this was a very fun read for me. I enjoyed the characters and liked the plot that loosely parallels the Importance of Being Earnest.
The main character tells a little white lie that ends up being a very big deal when four million pounds are suddenly on the line. She and her friends go through a series of hijinx and she discovers the meaning of love and marriage. A little predictable, with some twists. I enjoyed it.
Kristen
Cute book, quick read. As predictable as possible, but sometimes that can be okay if you're looking for a light, entertaining read.

I've read several of Gemma Townley's books, and while I think the dialog is always very amateur and plots predictable and far-fetched, I always enjoy the characters she creates and the situations they get into. As with the rest of her books, this could never, ever actually happen, but it's a fun escape from reality nonetheless.
Meaghan
jessica wikd is hilarious and quirky. cant wait to read the next book.
Stephanie
I'm starting to get the impression that chic lit protagonists all wear black, have trendy jobs (in marketing or publishing) that they don't actually do anything in, and have to get a complete makeover within the first chapter (or 20 pages, whichever comes first) so the cool guy they work with will go out with them.

And even though these are suppose to be smart, professional women, it doesn't seem like they do any actual thinking.
katie
A novel about a young woman who makes a promise to a dying friend to make her friend happy and then finds herself in somewhat of a bind when the friend passes away. Now she must keep the promise in order to qualify for a huge inheritance and not let her best friend down. Pretty good writing. A bit slow at first but then it picks up and gets more enjoyable as you move through the book.
JP
Always a fan of books that offer a moment, however brief, of surprise and awe. Gemma Townley's "The Importance of Being Married" is such a book. If you're looking for an amazing work of literary genius, that will exercise your brain cells to the point of fatigue, then this book is definitely not for you. A light-hearted, funny, and easy read, it is absolutely a sunny spot for a weekend of gray.
Meri
I enjoyed this one as much as the second book in the series (A Wild Affair) which I accidentally read before this one (the first in the series of three). The main character, Jessica Wild, is likeable, funny, and sharp. Much like a Sophie Kinsella novel, the plots twist and turn just enough to turn the pages without being over the top or ridiculous. Now onto the third and final in the series!
Rizwana
An entertaining quick read, Jessica Wild is rather endearing and most of the characters seem so real..like you've already met them somewhere.

Her description of the more minor characters is hilarious, as Jessica sees through their superficiality and boring sameness.

It's not a 'classic;, but good for a lazy Sunday afternoon's entertainment.
Jill
I was hoping this would be similar to a Madeline Wickham book, but I was sorely dissapointed.

(view spoiler)
Nha Vo
this book was exciting at first. then the character got really anmoying and insecure. was frustrated by her through the whole middle of the book. the end had a nice ending and predictable. easy read
Cathy
Such a fun book! Very quick, light, funny..a little quirky and definitely a cute story. I'm so glad I picked this book up from a challenge I've been participating in. I loved Jessica Wild as a leading heroine and can't wait to get a copy of hte sequel. I thought the ending was pretty unpredictable and look forward to future "Projects".
Martha
Jul 28, 2008 Martha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Vacationers - it was a quick read
Shelves: chick-lit
This had a great twist towards the end. It was charming and funny if not a little far-fetched but heck, it's fiction, right? Supposed to tickle our imagination...I can't say too much because I think this is a book best left to your own opinion...I wouldn't buy it but I would get it from the library. Good summer read.
The very first thought I had when I picked up The Importance of Being Married was that it sounded like it could be a modern twist on Oscar Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest, and in a way it is... read more of my review here:

• Exes and Ohs
  • Good Luck
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Accidental It Girl
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • Frenemies
  • Misery Loves Cabernet (Charlize Edwards, #2)
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • With or Without You
  • Forget Me Knot
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • A Hollywood Ending
  • The Finishing Touches
  • Tales of a Drama Queen
  • The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Rescuing Rose
Gemma Townley launched her writing career at the age of sixteen with a book review in Harpers & Queen. At Reading University, unimpressed with the official university paper, Spark, she launched a satirical rival, Spank, which she edited for a year before taking over as deputy editor on Spark and features editor on South-East Student.

Gemma is currently head of communications at the Chartered In...more
More about Gemma Townley...
Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions When in Rome...: A Novel of Piazzas and Passion The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook Learning Curves A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)