Start by marking “Change The World: Recovering The Message And Mission Of Jesus” as Want to Read:
Change The World: Recovering The Message And Mission Of Jesus

Change The World: Recovering The Message And Mission Of Jesus

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Something is not working. Despite the church's place of prominence in American culture and the ubiquity of the church in every American town, misconceptions about the faith of Jesus Christ run rampant today. Christians are known more for exclusivity than for love, more for potlucks than for solving world hunger. It's time for churches to get over the cruise-ship mentality ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Abingdon Press (first published January 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Change The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change The World

David Mullens
Over all it was a strong book. However, I felt he spent too much time dwelling on what his church has done. He also made mention that his budget was only $27000 when he started at the church (in 1975). That was not real helpful. According to the Inflation calculator that would be about 112,000 in today's dollars. About right for a church of that size.

What I was hoping he would address _how_ can a pastor create a culture within the church (or be a part of the transition) that reflects missional
Joseph Griffin
What I really appreciated about this book was the focus on how the church needs to work among the poor, needy, and disenfrancised. The modern church has too often overlooked this part of its mission. Slaughter's call to this is much needed. However, the exposition is poor, and the arguments remind me more of a U2 concert than a well-reasoned exegesis of Scripture. I agree with much of the focus of the book, I just see a very poor effort to get there exegetically. The pragmatist may say that does ...more
Kim
This is yet another commentary on how the institution of "church" is failing those within and outside of its walls. I started out reading this in the paperback, but there were so many great quotes and thoughts that I purchased the Kindle edition just so that I could highlight notes along the way. If your spiritual growth through regular church services has stagnated and you feel that Christ is telling you that there is more to a relationship with Him than attendance on Sunday morning and serving ...more
Cindy
While looking for a book to encourage families to radical, community-changing living, I found this book. Its focus is more for church leaders but is spot on for creating churches that influence persons to focus on giving their time and resources where it is needed rather than to self or church buildings.
John Hanscom
Or maybe less. What he has to say is great, but he is self aggrandizing, and his examples do not match his words - for example, he says that it is not a good measure to rate a congregation by size, then brags how many people attend his congregation; he says that being a "multi-program" congregation is not necessary, then brags about all the programs his congregation has. In addition, in this age of "shared ministry," he makes the congregation minister almost a cult of personality.
Barbara P
Slaughter writes from an authentic and spiritual grasp and understanding of discipleship. His commitment to a church living as disciples rather than just counting numbers is desperately needed in today's Christian world. His writing is clear, inspiring and very specific in stating the challenges of contemporary church life.
Dave Pettengill
While I appreciated the emphasis on being a Missional church, I left wondering how does this apply to other churches besides Ginghamsburg. It was cool reading the stories about that church and how it has applied these principles but not sure it gave enough direction for others in their local setting.
Janet Jonas
This is a very powerful book. Very convicting look at why and how we can save church by transforming it from noun to verb. Measure not in belief but by action. I appreciated the many examples and didn't find it too preachy. What will happen if the church leaves the building?
Rob
While there are some areas where Mr. Slaughter and I would disagree theologically, his call to look at things differently, to challenge the Church to actually follow Christ (rather than "historical" modes of "worship") is refreshing and well worth the read.
Heather Hampton
This book was free on kindle and I loved it. The author focused on what Christianity is supposed to be all about and looked at getting back to the basics of what Jesus taught instead of what religion teaches.
Becky
He talked a lot about changes we should be making within the church to more reflect the gospel. Also made me wonder what we should be changing as individuals.
Wanda
Great book for churches and individuals that desire to follow Jesus' example for reaching the world.
Randolph Carter
Often inspiring call to mission that becomes tedious due to constant repetition.
Jeffodist
I thought this book was amazingly clear on what God is currently saying to the church
Tracy
May 02, 2010 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jane
Recommended to Tracy by: Cokesbury Bookstore
Shelves: info, owned
Very Interesting. Great Points to use and help to define the Mission of the church.
Lisa Andrews
Lisa Andrews marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
McMaster
McMaster marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Deb De Vos
Deb De Vos marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Dawn Hadley
Dawn Hadley marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Elaine Shannon-guider
Elaine Shannon-guider marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
LaRue Beckley
LaRue Beckley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Andi Gray
Andi Gray marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • Christmas Is Not Your Birthday: Experience the Joy of Living and Giving Like Jesus
  • Healing for a Broken World: Christian Perspectives on Public Policy