Start by marking “Prospero in Hell (Prospero's Daughter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prospero in Hell (Prospero's Daughter, #2)

Prospero in Hell (Prospero's Daughter #2)

The exciting, suspenseful story of Miranda’s search for Prospero, the fabled sorcerer of The Tempest

The search of a daughter for her father is but the beginning of this robust fantasy adventure. For five hundred years since the events of William Shakespeare’s The Tempest, Miranda has run Prospero, Inc., protecting an unknowing world from disasters both natural and man-
Published August 17th 2010 by Tor Books (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Prospero in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prospero in Hell

David
May 01, 2011 David rated it really liked it
The wait for the second volume of Prospero's Daughter was worth it - this is a good read. The first few chapters didn't quite gel, and I found myself slogging a bit. As the book went on, and especially once the Prospero clan was all together, it became sufficiently hard to put down that I missed an appointment. The biggest frustration with the book is that, like the first volume, it doesn't conclude as much as stop - it's clearly one long story chopped into thirds, and now I'll have another wait ...more
Doug
Oct 26, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it
Like its predecessor, Prospero Lost , aspects of Prospero in Hell evoke other works -- most prominently The Tempest and The Inferno, but Lamplighter's squabbling, centuries-old, magic-wielding siblings recall both Gaiman and Zelazny -- while remaining wholly its own thing. Prospero in Hell addresses some of the weaknesses that bothered me about the first volume. Narrator Miranda's emotional remoteness is explicitly dealt with; despite the fact that she's centuries old, the trilogy seems to be a ...more
Judy
Oct 15, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans

While I enjoyed Prospero Lost, the first volume of Lamplighter's Prospero's Daughter trilogy, this second volume took a leap forward in many ways. Miranda, who is the eldest of Prospero's offspring, was contacted by her father at the beginning of the first book, informing her that one of his spells had gone awry, that he was accidentally trapped in Hell, and that Miranda was to gather the family and warn them of impending doom.

By the end of Prospero Lost she had only found four of her eight sibl
David
Nov 20, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Great series with Shakespeare, mythology, religion, angels, and a journey to hell to save Prospero.
TheBookSmugglers
Jan 30, 2011 TheBookSmugglers rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2010
Original Review HERE

REVIEW

First Impressions:

Thea: My first impression of Prospero in Hell began a few months ago, when the gorgeous cover was unveiled. I loved the cool, silvery Miranda on the cover of the first novel, and was just as enamored with this warm, sepia-toned cover for the second book. Even more delightful, however, was the discovery that Prospero‘s beautiful cover was the perfect complement to this incredible series. Miranda, her surly detective and her squabbling siblings are reuni
Tim Hicks
Jan 05, 2015 Tim Hicks rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This series is for people who found Agatha Christie's plots too simple. Perhaps it should have been called, "Unbeknownst to her..." because it is just jam-packed with "A is actually B".

OK, what's good? The good basic idea continues from book 1. The overall plot is quite good, and there are some moral issues. Some of the characters are not bad. Miranda is nowhere near believable as a 500-year-old; she thinks and acts like a late-teens person.

Summary: I think Lamplighter is better at ideas than
Paul Weimer
Sep 01, 2010 Paul Weimer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the series of books by L. Jagi Lamplighter

In the first book in the series, Prospero Lost, L. Jagi Lamplighter introduces us to a cross between epic and urban fantasy, where the daughter of Shakespeare's Prospero, is the CEO of a corporation devoted to managing the many malicious arcane (demonic, and otherwise) threats to humanity. Discovering that her father has disappeared, Miranda sets on a quest to find, question and obtain the assistance of her estranged siblings.

This second no
Quanjun
Dec 27, 2010 Quanjun rated it really liked it
Sequel to Prospero Lost (which I think is perfectly written), in this book, Miranda Prospero reunites her siblings in a quest to retrieve Prospero himself from hell.

If you think you know dysfunctional families, just thank God your family won't last five centuries. The Prospero family dishes out more dirty laundry in this book, each more shocking than the last. We finally meet Erasmus, the brother Miranda hates. As despicable as Miranda portrayed him before his appearance, I feel as if there's s
Claire
Apr 24, 2010 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
-Miranda, a sorceress
-Ariel, "noir" private eye/cynic
-Prospero, not present-disappeared and stolen away to Hell
-Miranda's brothers, sprites, magic creatures and demons.

Miranda finally gathers all her siblings together and through them learns of some unsettling and all-too-true aspects of her past including the truth about Ferdinand and Caliban. Parts of the story are clouded with mythical artifacts and the nuance of the Prospero Family's past is a bit confusing, but reflects the cloud of doubt t
Al Sirois
Dec 12, 2011 Al Sirois marked it as couldn-t-finish
I'm sorry to say I gave up on this after about thirty pages. It didn't engage me. You'd think that if I could plow through The Night Land I could make it through this. Perhaps my difficulty lay in the fact that this is the second book in a series... and without the back-story I can't get my bearings. Maybe so, but it has elements of what is called "high fantasy" that I don;t seem to have much tolerance for. I had hopes for this book because The Tempest is my favorite Shakespearean play... but no ...more
Clay Kallam
Jul 05, 2011 Clay Kallam rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy

There will be another installment in L. Jagi Lamplighter’s series, the finale, and hopefully it will be more like the first volume, “Prospero Lost” than the latest one, “Prospero in Hell” (Tor, $25.99, 347 pages). The setup is that the characters in Shakespeare’s “Tempest” survive into the 21st century due to various forms of magic, and that they use magical means to control the malign forces of demons, and other supernatural nasties.

“Prospero Lost” balanced on the fine line between a willing su
Coco
Jun 07, 2010 Coco rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoyed the interactions between Miranda and her siblings, the rest of who we get the pleasure of meeting in this installment. This book goes deeper into exploring the character's personalities and fleshes out those we've already met. I found I became closer to Miranda in this book whereas in the previous one, her actions and attitudes left me a little baffled at times. Lamplighter's description of hell was frightening and there were a few moments in the book that I certainly didn't see ...more
Trixie
Apr 25, 2015 Trixie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Ahahahaha oh my God it was better than I remembered.

We get deeper insights into every single character, not just the Prosperos, and when it comes to saving the Dread Magician himself there is finally forward momentum! But, oh, the tragedies of being both immortal and merely human.

If anyone loves character development, this is the book for them. While "Prospero Lost" was an introduction to the world, "Prospero in Hell" makes it a richer, more wonderful, sinister place with a cohesion that only so
Mitch
Aug 12, 2011 Mitch rated it liked it
I wasn't as impressed with the second book in the series as I was with the first.
I wasn't disappointed but for some reason it didn't quite give me the same thrill as the first.
Really, it probably deserved better than a 3 but I couldn't quite give it a four.
The storyline was still good. Lot's of stuff going on with enough complexity to keep it interesting.
The pace was good and the writing descriptive without being overly done.
Perhaps it was the characters. Maybe they didn't progress as much as I
Brenda
Jan 20, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
It was pretty good for the most part, but the plot started to get a little to fantastical to me, so I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief as much as I might normally. Added to that, Miranda seemed excessively naive at times even though she's supposed to be over 500 years old, which I would think would stabilize a character a little more. Anyway, looking forward to reading the last one to see how the plot wraps up. And Erasmus is my favorite.
Sabrina Taylor
May 04, 2011 Sabrina Taylor rated it really liked it
Kate
Dec 31, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one but was disappointed to see them stuck in hell and left hanging.

I liked the interaction between Miranda and her siblings and all of the secrets that get revealed in this book are quite interesting. It makes you think again about the first book and things that happened there. Can't wait for book 3...
Franz
Jan 07, 2012 Franz rated it it was ok
The book dragged for me in the middle and towards the end. The characters became less interesting and sympathetic in this second volume of a trilogy. The plot twists became tiring and maintaining my suspension of belief too challenging. In my case, at least, familiarity bred boredom. I doubt I'll read the final volume when it comes out.
Theresa
Oct 17, 2010 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Well, I was right about the writing improving with the second book. I was much less distracted by the useless exclamation points. Thank you for that. Miranda continues the search for her father, who she now knows is actually in hell. I like all the other literary references in these books, and Lamplighter's description of hell is pretty impressive. Highly enjoyable fantasy.
Virginia
Apr 21, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it
I am often leary of books that try to take on well know characters and give them a twist but I have to say Lamplighter found the sweet sopt in this book that brought her characters to life without dishonoring the origanal Propero. I did not read the first bookin the series but I will be out tomorrow to change that.
Kalyn
Dec 31, 2013 Kalyn rated it liked it
We continue the story of the Prospero family in the second novel of the series. Now that all the siblings are accounted for, how will they manage to work together to rescue their father? I kept reading this series more for how the classical characters were worked into the modern world rather than for the story itself.
Liviu
Another book that showed in the second volume that what i liked in the first was the novelty; this is the same and I lost interest quickly, fast read and it's very unlikely to read more from the series
Cassie
Mar 15, 2011 Cassie rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but I'm getting really frustrated by the lack of endings. This and the previous book both ended on cliffhangers, and now I have to wait until September to find out what happens. Grr...
Maggie
Apr 03, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Eh, I would probably give this 2.75 stars. I enjoyed most of it but she got too religious in the last quarter of the book for me. I'm not sure if I will read book three that comes out later this year.
Miss Scarlet
Jul 29, 2011 Miss Scarlet rated it really liked it
Worthy follow up to the first - better even. Love the family dysfunction. Can't wait for the third later this year.

Longer review here: http://wordsinscarletink.wordpress.co...
Jason Waisanen
Nov 15, 2012 Jason Waisanen rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in the Prospero's Daughter trilogy was an interesting book. For the most part it gave us more questions then answered. To me it seemed like after every question was answered five more would show up.

But still I press forth in finishing this trilogy.
Ginger
May 04, 2011 Ginger rated it really liked it
This is a great read! The characters are well-rounded and interesting, and the whole Prospero family band of adventurers, quirky as they are, are likeable and sympathetic in their various ways--especially the heroine Miranda. I had trouble putting this book down! Can't wait to read the sequel.
Andrea
Sep 22, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2010, mystery
The writing distracted for the first half of this book, but, just like last time, after I got into it, it went quickly and I was sad to see it end. I've been able to predict much of it, I'll be excited to see whether I'm right about the rest in the final book.
Angie
Apr 26, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
It was great, they even met Father Christmas. The book is about Miranda and her family trying to find their father the Dread Prospero. She has to convince some of her family that he really is missing first though. And the problem of them having to go to hell.
Becca
May 13, 2011 Becca rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantaasy, 2011
Again, nor the greatest writing ever BUT I am eager to get the next one and finish the story of Prospero and his family and I enjoy the way the author combines myths and legends and stories of the Fae. Yep.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Titans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #3)
  • The Last Page (Caliph Howl, #1)
  • Traitors' Gate (Crossroads, #3)
  • Blue Magic (Astrid Lethewood, #2)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Up Jim River
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • The Silver Skull (Swords of Albion, #1)
  • The Master of White Storm
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 2
  • One for the Morning Glory
  • Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1)
  • Bride of Death (Marla Mason, #7)
  • Wrayth (Book of the Order, #3)
  • Star Trek Legion of Super-Heroes
  • American Craftsmen
  • Worldsoul (Worldsoul, #1)
  • Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #1)
1938680

L. Jagi Lamplighter is a writer of fantasy and children's stories.  When not writing, she reverts to her secret ID where she lives in fairytale happiness with her husband, writer John C. Wright, and their four delightful children Orville, Ping-Ping, the Cherubim, and Justinian the Elf King.

For more information, see:

Prospero Lost:  A Writer's Odyssey -- an essay about how Prospero Lost came to b

More about L. Jagi Lamplighter...

Prospero's Daughter (3 books)
  • Prospero Lost  (Prospero's Daughter, #1)
  • Prospero Regained (Prospero's Daughter, #3)