Start by marking “Feathered” as Want to Read:
Feathered

Feathered

Afterward, Terri will tell everyone that, from the beginning, she knew something terrible was going to happen on spring break.Something bad was going to happen.She knew.It was supposed to be the perfect vacation: hot guys, impeccable tans, and no parents. But for two high school seniors, an innocent car ride will drive them into the heart of their worst nightmare.Feathered ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Feathered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feathered

Brandi Rae
Considering what a short easy read this was, I really had to struggle to finish reading it.

Told in the alternating voices of Anne and Michelle, the story starts out just before the pair, along with their friend Terri, leaves from Illinois to Cancun on spring break. Michelle's single mother cautions them against the typical dangers of spring break (boys and drinking), as well as encourages them to explore the history of the nearby Mayan temples.

Terri immediately heads off on her own, making frie
rachel
Jul 20, 2014 rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya
Ally
Dec 10, 2008 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I tell friends about this book, the more I realize that it was a great book, better then I originally thought it was. Sometimes that happens with books, you have to let the story sit with you for a a while and soak in before you can fully understand its merit.

I thought this was going to be a fluffy spring break story with a murder mystery twist. Little did I know the language was going to be so poetic, the emotions so intense, and that the story was going to be so infused with mytholog
Miriam
Oct 09, 2009 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Midwestern girls
Shelves: ya, realism
Three Midwestern girls go on a spring break trip to Cancun. Predictably, bad things happen to them. And despite the bit on the cover about "mysterious Mayan ruins, where ancient myths flirt dangerously with present realities," the bad things have nothing to do with time travel, human sacrifice, or Quetzalcoatl.

Is it possible that there are people in this day and age who don't know it is a bad idea for cute, scantily clad girls to accept rides from drunken strangers? If you know such a person, b
Nikki
Jan 14, 2009 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting more of a suspenceful mystery from what the description said in the front flap, but the action didn't start as soon as I would have liked and I felt that instead of an adventure, it was a morality tale of what not to do while on spring break. The history of Mexico would have been an interesting topic to address in a story like this, but I don't think this book managed to address the history or the suspence adequately.
Susan
Feb 12, 2011 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ....Nobody.
Recommended to Susan by: Nobody.
Shelves: realistic-fic
Gemma
Jun 05, 2010 Gemma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So the book jacket's all like 'mayan lore' and everything. Sacrificed maidens, still beating hearts ripped out and burned in the name of strange idols...

I'm pretty much thinking Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom, which is why I checked this out.

Feathered is not Indianna Jones. It can't even be compared to Indianna Jones. It does not even belong in the same sentence as Indianna Jones. There's some interesting stuff about Mayan mythology, but that's pretty much it.

Nothing much really happened
Becky
Dec 11, 2008 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

What can I say about this one but that it was predictable except for when it wasn't? It is the story of three girls--three teens--who go to Mexico for spring break their senior year of high school. They expect to have fun; they expect to flirt--and perhaps even more--with strangers; they expect to drink a lot. But what these girls didn't expect, didn't plan for, was the possibility that one of them wouldn't be coming back...

Michelle, Anne, and Terri. I'm going to be honest. Terri doesn't really
Missy
Nov 21, 2010 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three friends travel to Cancun for Spring Break, and the unthinkable happens.

This was a good story that seemed all too real. I noticed that it was published after Natalee Holloway's disappearance, and the story was eerily similar.

Two of the three girls decide to tour the Mayan Ruins with an older man, who is not a certified Tour Guide. Their friend stays behind at the hotel to party with some other kids that she has met. What transpires is a nightmare that is all too real.

The book kept me guess
Kelli
Captivating from the beginning.
Minerva
Feb 21, 2014 Minerva rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was 100% not what I expected, and I don't mean that in a good way. When I read the summary I thought there was going to be some really great supernatural stuff going on, but then it was just some stupid girls going on spring break. Seriously, they got in a car with a strange old man (who turned out to not be creepy, but still), and then got in a car with strange college students. One of the girls then got roofied (big surprise, right?) and somehow got lost in the jungle for ten months. ...more
Kristin Lenz
Jun 21, 2008 Kristin Lenz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
A novel about spring break in Cancun would not usually rank high on my reading list, but the "mysterious Mayan ruins, where ancient myths flirt dangerously with present realities" intrigued me. Michigan author, poetic language, alternating points of view and tenses, a shocker of a plot twist, and a truly bizarre ending... You just have to read it to understand.
Andrea
Aug 03, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Poetic and suspenseful, Kasischke's novel is the stuff of young women and parents' nightmares everywhere. Three high school senior girls travel to Cancun on spring break. In their hedonistic hotel and the eerie ruins of Chichen Itza, danger and exploitation pursue and threaten them, but evil ultimately surprises them in the most unlikely of places.
Erin
Jun 12, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entire review I just typed disappeared, so I will make this short and sweet... a cautionary tale about the dangers of the familiar, the risks we as women face....as well as a bored and jealous best friend. Also, a good portrayal of the longing a fatherless girl faces and how it affects her decision making. So much more to this short book.
Alexandra
This book was really weird. I am a fan of Laura Kasischke but up until now I had only read her adult fiction. This was YA, and I feel like she should stick with adult fiction.
Feathered started out really great and then went downhill as soon as the girls went on a trip to ancient Mayan ruins with Ander. So, about halfway through.
The beginning half of the book was one way and the second half was another. It felt like two different books.
I'm not really sure I understand what happened. It was rea
beck
Jul 19, 2016 beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy Nova Ren suma
Recommended to beck by: Nova Ren Suma mentions this book as her inspiration to write YA.
Nicolle
I really enjoyed this book. It was very interesting and new. From the beginning to the end, I wanted to keep reading. This plot was new and fresh, like something I've never read before. Three friends, Michelle, Anne, and Terri all go on Spring break to Cancun. It was supposed to be the best time, but it ended horribly wrong. The plot twist in the book was very unpredictable. The writing style was sophisticated, and was was written in an alternating point of view. You see the story from all three ...more
Adrienne Santiago
"Feathered"
Laura Kasischke
Harper-Collins, 2008

Enter the world of Spring Break:

Teenagers and College Students running around, partying, drinking, laying on the beach and swimming in the pool. In "Feathered" by Laura Kasischke, we follow the lives of three high school graduates on their first Spring Break trip without adults or supervision.

First there is Anne, the typical ball of sunshine in her parents' eyes, who does well in school and has deserved this trip to Cancun. Then there is the timid
Tyler Beusse
Apr 06, 2011 Tyler Beusse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feathered by Laura Kasischke is a breathtaking and terrifying tale of self-discovery and coming of age. The book is segmented into third-person POV’s of the main characters, each chapter focusing on an experience of each. This helps to give a good overall impression of the situation presented in the book without cluttering individual chapters with multiple points of view. The story follows Anne, Michelle, and Terri; three teenagers leaving the drab surroundings of Illinois to the fun-filled, spr ...more
Hector Gonzalez
Apr 06, 2011 Hector Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, feathered was an interesting story about two, apparently typical, high school girls, Michelle and Ann, who take a trip to Mexico. There was a third girl, Terri, but she, to me, was little more than a character probably only necessary to move the plot forward every now and again.

Without going in depth into the story, the girls meet a guy who takes them to a famous Mayan site, and from that point on all hell breaks loose. Though it may be a bit extreme, it is a solemn reminder to readers
Lenore Appelhans
Jul 18, 2009 Lenore Appelhans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can imagine the genesis of this novel thusly: Author goes to Mexico’s Yucatan to visit the Mayan ruins and is annoyed by crass commercialization and mindless, drunken hordes of sun-seeking partygoers. She then decides to write a novel that will highlight the importance of respecting local culture and the dangers of a) spring break and b) trusting strangers.
And the novel does work well on that level. There’s a definite sense of foreboding that grows stronger as you read. And the scenes at the M
Lucie Paris
Jan 08, 2012 Lucie Paris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reactions:
At the start, I expected a supernatural story with maybe a love adventure with a Mayan god ... After all, it's in the air with all the romances about Greek gods and it could have been moose. So even when I was expecting something terrible, I thought of a great happy end.ing Indeed, I read a surprising, intense and touching ending.
I did not expect that Laura Kasischke addresses in her novel a real trauma in a manner as poignant as well as being suggestive. A story full of realistic det
Valeriane
Véritable rituel aux Etats-Unis pour les élèves en dernière année, Terri, Michelle et Anne parte en voyage de printemps.

Leur destination : les plages mexicaines.

Arrivées à l'hôtel, elles constatent que le ton est donné : alcool et fête sont au rendez-vous. Au bar, elles vont faire la connaissance d'un inconnu d'une quarantaine d'années. Ce dernier leur propose de l'accompagner lors de sa visite du site de Chichen Itzâ. Prises entre l'idée alléchante d'aller à la rencontre des monuments culturels
Kristi
Oct 26, 2008 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two words: Spring Break. Anne, Michelle and Terri are heading to Cancun for their first real adventure. It’s going to be great, beaches, blue water, drinks galore and cute boys! But they also want to take in some of the history that Cancun has to offer. It just so happens that they met a guy at the bar that is going to the Chechen Itza and offers to give them a ride. "Don’t take rides from strangers!" Is yelling in the back of the girls minds, but somehow the man seems trustworthy enough that th ...more
Aarika H
Nov 10, 2012 Aarika H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book "Feathered" by Laura Kasischke there are three girls Terri, Michelle and Anne. They are three good friends that are going to Cancun, Mexico for their Senior year spring break. Their parents make sure that they know not to go with any stranger.

When at the hotel Terri meets a guy and they start talking. Michelle and Anne met a worker there that was way older then them. But they talk about history and Anne get's really interested. Michelle doesn't really care about what their talking ab
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Story Siren for TeensReadToo.com

Two words: Spring Break.

Anne, Michelle, and Terri are heading to Cancun for their first real adventure. It's going to be great - beaches, blue water, drinks galore, and cute boys! But they also want to take in some of the history that Cancun has to offer.

It just so happens that they met a guy at the bar that is going to the Chechen Itza and offers to give them a ride. "Don't take rides from strangers!" is screaming in the back of the girls' minds,
Allie
Jan 16, 2012 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book blew me away. It's hard to describe it without using words that sound just a tad pretentious...lyrical, vivid, poetic, you get the point. The quality of the writing kept me going although I was not initially a big fan of the switch between 1st person POV for one character and 3rd person for another. Once I got used to it I was fine and I appreciated seeing the same events from two completely different perspectives.

Disclaimer: this book is a bit of a bait and switch. It h
Jenna Elizabeth
I don’t think Feathered grabbed my attention the way it did with other readers. It had great potential to be a fantastic book, but it didn’t seem to make it to that level. I came across Feathered on a whim at the library and figured it be an interesting read of girls on spring break since I was stuck at home for mine. The actual writing style of this book was gorgeous, probably the best I have seen in quiet awhile.

I feel like Feathered is just a book of extremely bad choices. These girls knew wh
Jocey
Feathered by Laura Kasischkr is a book about two girls who go on vacation to Cancun, Mexico. Both of the girls are best friends. Michelle ends up in missing after she and her best friend take a ride from a group of bpys. When Michelle is found she doens't remember anything that has happened. The thing that brakes her blind spell is a feather.

I think my favorite thing about this book was the idea of the feather symbolising the friendship of the two girls. That is best shown at the very end of t
Celestasaurus
Three friends spend Spring Break in Cancun, wishing for an escape from their boring lives. Two of them—Anne and Michelle—leave the hotel one day to visit the sites (mainly the temple dedicated to a god and used to sacrifice young virgins). But against everything their parents had told them, they took a ride from a stranger. Forever, they would be scarred by this decision and its consequences. Michelle would lose a vital piece of herself, and Anne would try desperately to save her best friend.

I l
Feathered 1 4 Oct 04, 2011 02:43PM
Feathered 1 3 Sep 24, 2011 07:35PM
  • The Possibility of Fireflies
  • The Return Part II & The Last Story (Remember Me, #2-3)
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Ce que je sais de Vera Candida
  • Bunker 10
  • Cheated
  • Wrecked
  • King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)
  • Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present
  • Oblivion Road
  • Autobiography of My Dead Brother
  • Carlos Is Gonna Get It
  • At What Cost
119814
Laura Kasischke (born 1961) is an American fiction writer and American poet with poetry awards and multiple well reviewed works of fiction. Her work has received the Juniper Prize, the Alice Fay di Castagnola Award from the Poetry Society of America, the Pushcart Prize, the Elmer Holmes Bobst Award for Emerging Writers, and the Beatrice Hawley Award. She is the recipient of two fellowships from th ...more
More about Laura Kasischke...