Start by marking “Angry Fat Girls: 5 Women, 500 Pounds and a Year of Losing It...Again” as Want to Read:
Angry Fat Girls: 5 Women, 500 Pounds and a Year of Losing It...Again

Angry Fat Girls: 5 Women, 500 Pounds and a Year of Losing It...Again

2.75 of 5 stars 2.75  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A funny, painfully honest memoir about five women as they diet and eat, lose and gain, and struggle to find their individual definition of freedom along the way

Like so many women, Frances Kuffel wondered: how could this happen again? She'd transformed her life by losing 188 pounds-but, like the vast majority of dieters, she transformed it again by gaining over half tho
Published January 5th 2010 by Berkley Hardcover (first published January 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Angry Fat Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angry Fat Girls

Beth G.
I read Kuffel's first memoir, Passing for Thin, a few years ago, and I remembered liking it, so I was looking forward to reading this follow-up. In that first book, Kuffel lost half her body weight and found herself on what she called "the Planet of Thin." But her stay (like that of most people who lose weight) wasn't permanent. Over the next few years, during which she was promoting her book and blogging about her life, she regained half the weight. Through her blog, she met several women in th ...more
Kelli
Nov 25, 2013 Kelli added it
Shelves: abandoned
I made it about halfway through this book and was actually happy when it disappeared from my Nook and returned itself to the library. My first struggle with this book was that there just seemed to be too many characters. I can handle multiple characters in a book when each one has a distinct personality and has a story that keeps me wanting more. This book did not offer that. My second concern was the mix of fiction and non-fiction. I wasn't distracted by wondering which was which--but knowing i ...more
Kasey Jueds
Some really amazing things about this book, and some disappointing stuff as well. I loved (and now would like to reread) Frances Kuffel's first book, Passing for Thin, which I found smart and moving and beautifully written. In a way, it's unfair to compare it to Angry Fat Girls, because Passing for Thin is a pretty straightforward memoir, and Angry Fat Girls a more ambitious "nonfiction novel." So, kudos to Frances Kuffel for attempting something different, and probably much more difficult to wr ...more
Katie
This book was NOTHING like I thought it would be. And not in a good way, either. I was bored out of my mind throughout most of it. It was very confusing because it switches from past to present to past over and over again, even though the chapters are set to read in chronological order. I felt like it was a "fat power" book... or a "why we hate thin people book". It also made some fun of people who are "only" 100 or so pounds overweight, because those people couldn't possibly know what the autho ...more
Sarah Hurd
I wasn't able to finish this book. I was really excited to read it after I picked it up at the Library, but the writing style was just to scattered and confusing for me. The book had great potential but I don't think it was put together very well.
Conchetta
This book was all over the place and not much in new information. The only thing I didn't have an understanding of before was how mentally ill an obese person can be even if they've lost a lot of weight. This book sprang from the association of some bloggers so who knows what otherwise healthy obese people are like. We'll probably never know because they are not so self obsessed.
Shannon
A weird combination of fiction and statistics. You get the feeling that the author is incredibly unhappy. An interesting look into the world of the super morbidly obese. Scary.
Caitlin Trepp
This book was hard to read due to poor sentence construction and a lack of structure. Probably this book should have stayed a blog.
Rachel
Fascinating, but kind of disorganized.
Shannon Krone
I haven't read "Passing for Thin" and after reading this book, I don't think I will. Frances makes it sound like being thin is the holy grail. As a fat person, I don't want to be thin. I want to be healthy and Frances and her non fiction characters clearly aren't healthy.

I rarely will make it through a non fiction book unless it's about parenting and even then I have to force myself. This was a book I forced myself to finish as I've struggled with my weight and my demons all my 36 years. I don'
Rosemary
I didn't finish this book. Such an awesome potential but alas the author is a blogger and the book unfortunately read at times like scattered blog posts. In addition, there were too many girls (yes, 5) but the author toggled back and forth between stories/details so much that I had to keep going back to see who I was reading about. Finally, the author employs strange and awkward sentence construction so often I had to re-read sentences over and over to try and decipher meaning.

PS- She first los
Christiane
In 2004 Frances Kuffel wrote a book called “Passing for Thin” about the huge weight loss that made her a thin woman for the first time in her life. However, like the vast majority (statistics vary, but can be as high as 90%) of people who manage to lose weight, she regained. This book details her and four friends she met online's daily struggle with weight loss and being a fat woman in a society that just hates fat people. It tries to answer the question of why, when the stakes are so high perso ...more
Allison
Very moving. Kuffel fairly ruthlessly examines and dissects the lifestyles, histories, flaws and neuroses of her friends and herself. She reveals a bit more about her childhood and it's hard not to feel that her parents really did border on neglectful -- she describes them aptly (and kindly) as having a genius for children under three and over eighteen. She also doesn't gloss over the fat that the angry fat girls eat a lot. Once again, you don't really feel any kind of definitive conclusion has ...more
Erika
Hmm, I've read non-ficiton that felt like a novel, but I've never really done fiction that read like a memoir. Can't say that this approach worked for me, but it did at least hold my interest until the end. In this book they author tells her own story of regaining a large amount of wright after a very public and successful weight loss journey. She fleshes her story out by introducing fictional characters, so it is difficult to tell the fiction from the non-fiction. Together with numerous interst ...more
Rhonda
I am usually all over these books, I love to read inspirational and motivational books, but this one just didn't capture my interest. I think it was the diet plan that was being followed. While I am happy that people can lose weight and there are several ways of accomplishing it, this just didn't help me. If someone is looking for a good inspirational and motivational read, I would suggest "Finally Thin" by Kim Bensen, or "Ruby's Diary" by Ruby Gettinger. Kim has taken the weight off and maintai ...more
Jenine
I enjoyed following the women's stories and lives and to know that I'm not alone in the yo-yoing back and forth and some of the terrible habits I have (Starting a diet? Eat all the bad stuff! Having a bad day? Eat! Celebrating? Eat! *sigh*)
This book didn't really have a great solution because there really isn't one.
It was eye opening to hear about the surgeries available, the costs and risks associated with them, and how unlikely it is that the insurance company would pay for it as well as the
Noreen
I SUPPOSE i WANTED ANGRIER WOMEN NOT SELF LOATHING WOMEN WHO ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE USED AND ABUSED IN ALMOST ANY/EVERY RELATIONSHIP THEY HAVE. i UBDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATION HAVING BEEN A FAT PERSON MY ENTIRE LIFE bUT i HAVE A MUCH HEALTHIER IDEA OF WHO AND WHAT i AM AND MAKE NOT EXCUSES OR APOLOGIZES TO ANYONE.
Somewhere in the middle of this book fat acceptance is disscussed but to not real solution for any of the women. I would like to help these women love themselves and stop the angry.
Dara Jameson
i just pulled it off the library bookshelf and took it home. this was a great read for me. i felt as if i got to know frances enough that she was keeping me company as i read. i had an ache of missing when i was done and was happy to find france's blog so i can still enjoy her company.
the book was so human and raw. i really appreciated the gut wrenching honesty and the continual attempts to reach out of stuck places.
Barbara
As with its predecessor I found parts disturbingly like and parts disturbingly unlike my own journey over years. I'm glad I read it.

Do you realize how many people who lose weight regain it? Do you realize that you're not alone if you do? This helps with that. It's a real book with real experiences (although disguised to protect their real lives).
Andrea
This book was very confusing to read since it seemed to be jumping from not only person to person but also random topics. It had a lot of great information that would have been more powerful if it was organized better. It is still a great read for people who like diet memoir type of book and it is great because of the facts.
Jennifer A.
a bit disjointed in the writing style (the 'fictional' stories of Frances and her fellow angry fat girls), but she had so many insights into the 'mindset' of an overweight person's relationship with food, I loved it anyway.

it ended a bit strange; no real 'ending' just sort of 'stopping.'

Regina Hunter
Read 2 pages... LEARNED ALOT! Poor dogs being fed ice cream, and she buys pints! Ew, no wonder she was fat with food on blanket. If you eat in bed and it not movie night and its not popcorn butter dripping: FAIL!
Kelly
I did not enjoy this book. They all blamed their parents for their issues and weight. I also didn't like the way it was written. The author jumped around so much you didn't know what the heck she was talking about!
Naida
a well written & thought provoking look at fat, food addiction, the causes of obesity, and whether significant weight loss is actually even sustainable.
Really enjoyed it and the questions that it brought up
Emma  Kaufmann
Very vividly written 'non fiction novel' about five overweight women who relapse back into fatness. Gives an insight into food addiction and made me realize I am quite similar except not quite so addicted.
Beatríz
It described a world that I don't know or inhabit. But it still brought out truths of my own life that I need to explore and resolve. It was gritty and honest and it changed me.
Evelyn
While I related deeply to Kuffel and her friends, I found their stories difficult to follow. I think my favorite part was the chapter about the facts of weight loss and gain.
Heather Goff
I love Frances Kuffel. This one is no match for Passing for Thin, but I love Frances Kuffel. Hence FIVE stars.
Esther
Scary. I don't think I'll ever really understand what makes someone weigh 300+ pounds.
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Looking forward to this one! 1 12 Nov 22, 2009 03:43AM
  • The Big Skinny: How I Changed My Fattitude
  • I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks
  • The Voluntourist: A Six-Country Tale of Love, Loss, Fatherhood, Fate, and Singing Bon Jovi in Bethlehem
  • Read My Hips: How I Learned to Love My Body, Ditch Dieting, and Live Large
  • Pot Inc.: Inside Medical Marijuana, America's Most Outlaw Industry
  • Eating the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time
  • All Fishermen Are Liars
  • No Summit out of Sight: The True Story of the Youngest Person to Climb the Seven Summits
  • Kiwis Might Fly
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • The Women's Health Big Book of Yoga: The Essential Guide to Complete Mind/Body Fitness
  • The Spice Necklace: A Food-Lover's Caribbean Adventure
  • Hungry: What Eighty Ravenous Guys Taught Me about Life, Love, and the Power of Good Food
  • Amore: An American Father's Roman Holiday
  • Life is a Wheel: A Passage Across America by Bicycle
  • Thinner Than Thou
  • The 14th Dalai Lama: A Manga Biography
Passing for Thin: Losing Half My Weight and Finding My Self Eating Ice Cream with My Dog: A True Story of Food, Friendship, and Losing Weight...Again Love Sick: A Memoir of Searching for Mr. Good Enough Angry Fat Girls