Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions, #2)

Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  20 reviews
There is a common assumption that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions, and that its often-unusual people and events render it useless for today. These ideas are fueled by the teachings of scholarly critics, who seem to delight in raising questions about the Bible s truthfulness and integrity.

But the critics of the Bible are wrong, according to Dr. R. C. Sproul i...more
Published September 18th 2009 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Can I Trust The Bible?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can I Trust The Bible?

Jeff Stiles
This book was a little technical and weighty for my thick skull, but I'm still glad I read it. I think books like this are important for Christians to read. I would even say this book would be good for a non-Christian to take a look at to see where some Christian ideas are coming from.
John Williams
INTERESTING & EXHAUSTIVE STATEMENT & EXPLANATION OF WHY WE BELIEVE THE BIBLE IS INFALLIBLE & INERRANT.
This second of 17 books on the fundamentals of Christianity is a lot different than the first. It starts with a statement drafted (& widely adopted by American pastors & theologians) in the late 1970’s. Sproul was one of three who worked to create the document which consists of I) an Opening Overview, II) the Statement of Belief in the Infallibility & Inerrancy of The Bi...more
Matthew Hodge
This book is an expanded version of a set of statements put out by a group of evangelicals in the 80s, setting out the standard evangelical position on the inerrancy of Scripture.

As far as explaining the doctrine, the book is well-written and is good for explaining definitions and terms that can cause a good deal of confusion.

The lack of a star from me is that I'm still wrestling with the issue of canonisation. It's one thing to say that Scripture says it's inerrant - certainly the idea is there...more
Wade
This is a short book that works phrase-by-phrase through The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, a document written by 250 evangelicals at a summit meeting called by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy in October 1978… this short book is an explanation of that document by R.C. Sproul and it is very helpful in defending and defining Biblical inerrancy and infallibility. This is a very solid book that defends an extremely crucial view of the Bible. Sproul sums up the significance...more
Nathan Newcomer
Sproul here writes a short, "layman's" book for bibliology. It won't wow you with in-depth theological prose, but it fulfills its purpose of being an edible read for those seeking a surface level understanding.
Phil Rice
This book isn't really what I expected. I was hoping for more of a practical discussion about the Bible's origins and why we could believe the versions we have today are in fact the God-breathed text. It's really a breakdown and description of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy from 1978.

I read the first half of the book, and pretty much just skimmed the second half because it is extremely dry. Not that it doesn't make good points overall, but it read more like a legal document.

If you a...more
Luke
You might think from the title and length of this little article that Sproul would be giving you some reasons to trust the Bible. Instead, this is a fairly exhaustive and incredibly dull exposition of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. If you're into that sort of thing, it's interesting to explore the reformed view of scripture, but the question "Can I Trust the Bible" is never answered from a non-Christian perspective. Nor is the reformed view exactly proved, instead the viewpoint is...more
Kates Torio
"JESUS CHRIST is the central theme of Scripture." Great book right here!
Don Henrikson
A good apologetic commentary on the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. As usual, Dr. Sproul's writing is clear and interesting. That makes this a helpful little book on a topic important to the church.
Jennifer Grosser
A little dry, but very earnest and helpfully well-thought-out explanation if the affirmations and denials regarding the authority and inerrancy of Christian Scripture as delineated in Chicago in the 80's. Considering the confusion in my own mind lately regarding this doctrine, I'm grateful to have read it.
Joshua
I always find it difficult reading a book like this, seems little point as I already trust the bible. However this ended up being an interesting and fairly in depth look at the reasons why. Over all well worth the read.
Bill Tillman
This is a very carefully worded defense of the Bible. It leaves no doubt that the author believes in the inspired word of God, as infallible and inerrant. A great book to have in your library and always at hand.
Dennis
Very dry, but it's short and the second half is peppered with some nice thoughts about what it means to be human and how Scripture and science can be reconciled.
Roddy
Essential reading on biblical inerrancy.
Jonny
Maybe not the first book I would recommend on inerrancy, but a good one nonetheless. This is a commentary on the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy.
Rich
More of a commentary on the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy than a thoroughgoing bibliology, but for what it is, it's good.
Jeremy
A summary of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy (1978).
Jim V
A bit heady with plenty of proof points.
Rory Enderle
Rory Enderle marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Murray Melder
Murray Melder marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Rudianto
Rudianto marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
John Taylor
John Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Brian Hays
Brian Hays marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Tamy Servin
Tamy Servin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • Found: God's Will
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • God's Glory in Salvation through Judgment
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free
  • Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th...more
More about R.C. Sproul...
The Holiness of God Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Chil dren What Is Reformed Theology?: Understanding the Basics Knowing Scripture Essential Truths of the Christian Faith