Start by marking “Too Close to Home” as Want to Read:
Too Close to Home

Too Close to Home

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,975 Ratings  ·  734 Reviews
“The night they killed our neighbors, we never heard a thing.”

In a quiet suburban neighborhood, in a house only one door away, a family is brutally murdered for no apparent reason. And you think to yourself: It could have been us. And you start to wonder: What if we’re next?

Linwood Barclay, critically acclaimed author of No Time for Goodbye, brings terror closer than eve
Published September 30th 2008 by Bantam (first published April 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Too Close to Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Close to Home

Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 12, 2015 Chelsea Humphrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a thrilling read! I'd give this one 4.5 stars and would be lying if I called it anything less than excellent.

In Promise Falls, a triple homicide takes place one evening next door to the Cutter's abode. No one heard or saw what happened to the Langley's, but everyone is assuming it had something to do with Albert's job as the town's criminal attorney. As the book progresses, we learn that everyone in this town seems to have a secret, but the largest secrets seem to lie within the Cutte
Kari
Feb 04, 2012 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
This felt like reading a made for tv film. It was just a bit too over the top to be believable. Every character had a secret and most of them had multiple secrets that they all kept from their supposed loved ones! Not one character was open or honest. You also had the seemingly irrelevant actions with objects which would come in very handy later on, again like a tv film that points everything out to the viewer so they don't have to tax their brains at all. I was really disappointed as my colleag ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a very well written book. It's plotted in a way as to hold the attention and I can see where this story could have bogged down and become a bit wandering. Mr. Barclay takes what could have been almost cliched and constructs a well thought out, well "characterized" (and in this case I use that word to mean that the characters are full enough to get to know and know about without leaving us "over-informed") and again well plotted.

I had a few small moments when I thought that the characters
Magdalena
Jan 09, 2016 Magdalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harlan Coben fans!
Started to read this book a while ago, something else caught my attention, and suddenly the book is forgotten. But then one day I decided to continue and man, I just couldn’t put the damn book down. I was torture to do other stuff; I needed to know what happened, just one more chapter, one more…

Unfortunately, the ending wasn’t that surprising, partly surprising, yes, but not a fantastic surprising ending. But the book was still really, really good. So if you like a book with twist and turns then
Michelle
Nov 06, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started out really well...the neighbors are leaving for a week and 17-year old Derek decides their empty home is the perfect little love nest for him and his girlfriend to hideaway in while they're gone. Except things don't go as planned...

About 100 pages in, I really thought I'd figured out the ending. I was so certain I was right, it actually kind of ruined the next 250 pages. Then, things took a turn for the last 50 pages, when I realized I was wrong. The characters here all had an over-
Jeanette
Nov 23, 2015 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's long. And at the very end I was pulled to give it a 3 star, but it was so entertaining that I just couldn't. 3.5 star rounded up.

First, these characters were not the usual suburban or rural small town dysfunction that's so currently endemic. Oh they are "off", but they have more depth. And Derek, the 17 year old, he was especially closer to the real teens I know. And even some of them I love.

Only the Mom, Ellen, gave me some pause. But then again- she's not the only woman with a history of
Robin
Jun 30, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery, 2015
Teenager Derek Cutter had a plan. When his nextdoor neighbors go on vacation, he would use their house as a rendezvous point with his girlfriend. But his plan goes haywire when someone comes to the house while he is hiding in the basement and murders the Langleys in cold blood. Jim Cutter is shocked when he hears about the death of his neighbors. After all, things like that just don't happen in small towns. But he is even more shocked to find that the police are looking at his son as their numbe ...more
Bill
Oct 28, 2013 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is the second Linwood Barklay novel I've read. I very much enjoyed No Time for Goodbye.

As a whole, I enjoyed this one almost as much, but I found it a bit convoluted towards the end.
You know what made these two books so much fun? Barklay thrusts you into a situation right from the get-go and there are so many unknowns that you have no idea what lies beyond the next turn. When you're in the midst of this phase of the novel, you're totally in its grip. Five star quality all the way.

However, I
Eadie
Jun 28, 2015 Eadie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my second Linwood Barclay book and I can honestly say that I enjoyed them both very much. Barclay has chapter endings that cause you to have to read on. Trying to put this book down is an impossibility. It's hard to figure out how all the subplots come together but in the end it all ties up nicely. If you haven't read a Barclay book, you need to remedy that and this is a good one to start with.
Jean Coldwell
Sep 07, 2014 Jean Coldwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay is another book that I didn't want to put down! High school student Derek Cutter thinks he has the perfect plan to make out – and possibly more - with his girlfriend Penny in his neighbors' house while they're away on vacation - until something goes terribly wrong. The family returns unexpectedly, and as Derek hides in the basement, an unknown visitor shoots the Langleys in cold blood. Why were they killed? Are the murders related to others in the area? What ...more
Terri Lynn
Wow, was this a page-turner! I loved this mystery. Jim and Ellen Cutter's son has what he thinks is a brilliant idea. Their neighbor Albert Langley, his horny wife, and their son Adam who is the teen friend of the Cutter's son Derek are going on a vacation. Derek pretends to leave to go home as they are about to go out the door only he goes to the basement and hides out in the crawl space. He thinks while they are gone he can have sex with girlfriend Penny all week long.

The Langleys leave but D
Linda
Jul 07, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a book, read 85 pages in just a short amount of time. Derek's best friend and neighbor is going on vacation, Derek hides in the basement so he can have the house all to himself and bring his girl over so they can be alone. While hiding in the basement after they finally leave, He hears a car and footsteps, since mom was not feeling well, they decide to come home and sees his friend Adam and his mom coming into the house, he panics and hides again in the closet this time. Petrified he h ...more
Lee Cooper
Apr 30, 2015 Lee Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book from Linwood Barclay, if you like this author you will not be disappointed.
Brenda
Jun 10, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a book that keeps me guessing until the end!
Dale
Mar 21, 2014 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as other Linwood Barclay books

I am an enthusiastic fan of Never Look Away and Fear the Worst my first two Linwood Barclay books. This book continues in the tradition of many film noir thrillers - the regular guy who gets his whole life overturned by some sort of crime and how he reacts to it. Unfortunately, Too Close to Home was not the equal of those two books.

In Too Close to Home we meet the Cutter family, a mom, dad and a teenage son. The neighbors are brutally murdered o
Rob Donovan
Jul 31, 2013 Rob Donovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Linwood Barclay’s first novel. It was very much in the mold of Harlan Coben’s standalone novels. I.e. good characters and fascinating plot twists. What I especially liked, is that they focus on ordinary family’s and explore how they would react if the unimaginable happened and how far they would be willing to go to protect your family.

The blurb:

When the Cutter family's next-door-neighbours, the Langleys, are gunned down in their house one hot August night, the Cutters' world is
Michael
Aug 31, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, thriller fans, fans of family mysteries
Recommended to Michael by: Enjoy the author's other work
Derek Cutter thinks he's got it made. His neighbors are going on vacation. He's going to hide in the house and when they're gone, this seventeen year old will have a place to party with his girlfirend, Penny,for a week.

Plans are made to be broken. The family returns home because the mother, Mrs. Langley has become ill. Derek is still in the basement when he hears another car pull up. Suddenly he hears gunshots as the newcomer kills Mr. and Mrs. Landley and their son, Adam.

Derek is ashamed of wha
Marina
Jan 25, 2012 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowing that your neighbors are killed, it's a horrible feeling. Knowing that your son was there, it's terrifying. Knowing that the killers had mistaken the house and you were the target, oh my god, it can't be worse.

The characters are very well written. The father, the mother, the son. Normal average family with many skeletons in the closet. Which one of them (the skeletons, mistakes in the past) was the reason for the triple killing? Were the neighbors the real target? Or just the fact that th
Dominique (Dom)
Nov 10, 2014 Dominique (Dom) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book!
The Langleys are going on vacation for a week so their neighbor Derek Cutter, who is their son`s Adam best friend decides to hide in the house so he can have a 'Love nest' with his girlfriend. Unfortunately, Mrs. Langley is not feeling well and they come back a few hours later. Derek, afraid to be founf out, decides to hide until the coast is clear. Too bad for him, someone knoks on the door and kills the Langleys. Who wants them dead and why are the Cutters involved in this?

T
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.
The story is fast paced and it is not long before you are turning pages quickly to find out what is happening next. I have now read several Linwood Barclay books and he never fails to deliver.

Too Close to Home is a great thriller that was highly enjoyable throughout. The book was full of twists and turns and read the book in a couple of sittings as I didn't want to put it down.
Reenie
Jun 21, 2015 Reenie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Linwood Barclay's books for the simple fact that he's not a writer that you can second guess, he keeps you guessing right until the very end. I like that.
I was eager to pick up this book because I loved No Time For Goodbye, and whilst I have enjoyed it, I'm not sure it's quite as much as the previous. Whilst there were twists and turns in the plot, by the end, I was feeling as though there were a little too many. I'm aware that nobody is straight forward, only having to them what you see
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Goodreads doesn't allow 3.5 which is the ratng I would prefer to give this book.
I like Linwood Barclay's writing style very much. He writes well and he writes about the ordinary and about ordinary folk, which makes it easy to relate to the cast of characters/ personalities in his book(s). He also has a very subtle sense of humour which comes out here and there.
This book is a definite page turner. Mr Barclay leaves you 'hanging' at the end of each chapter, wanting to know more... while along the
CD {Boulder Blvd}
3.5 Stars - It seems with Linwood Barclay books I have a consistent theme:

1. I don't like 1st person and this book as well as others by Mr. Barclay are done in 1st person.

2. The first part of his books seem to start really slow. For me, it gets to the point where I almost think about stopping as the book doesn't pull me in. Since this book was in 1st person, I feel like I'm hearing from someone who goes on and on when they tell a story. You want to tell the person to get on with the story and th
Lisa Richards
Aug 09, 2015 Lisa Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing!
Lynda Kelly
Dec 16, 2015 Lynda Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was the best of his by far for me !! I loved it. Fair races along and is full of secrets 'n' lies and intrigue ! It's really well done.
I was a little disappointed as there are still some e-book issues with his publications which get my back up....not great in a proper bestselling author. He mostly gets his apostrophes correct and clearly knows the difference and then the odd one is misplaced. So irritating as it comes across as just bloody careless. He used emotion instead of emotions and u
Laurie
Apr 28, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linwood-barclay
Too Close To Home was a blazing page-turner that I was unable to put down! Jim and Ellen Cutter are shocked when their neighbors, the Langleys, are murdered. These types of crimes just don't occur in the seemingly quiet town of Promise Falls. Even more shocking is the arrest of their son Derek, the prime suspect in the murders. Derek has had his share of teenage drama but nothing that would indicate he could be capable of murder. As the investigation progresses, a shocking tale of deception, bur ...more
Stephen Clynes
Feb 07, 2011 Stephen Clynes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is written in the first person, the character is Jim Cutter, who is Derek's father. Jim is a decent, average sort of guy who earns a living cutting people's lawns. Too Close to Home was written in 2008 and has 466 pages. This story is a crime thriller with an intensive plot and a haunting narrative.

What motive was there to kill all of the Langley family? You do not read about a motive but an aura of suspicion abounds. Jim Cutter is feeling lost in the mystery of the triple murder of h
Marca
Apr 02, 2012 Marca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew! This one has many balls in the air to connect. The family down the lane from Bill and Ellen Cutter are brutally murdered one night. The Cutter's teen son Derek was in the house at the time, supposedly to say goodbye to his friend Adam as they left on vacation (but Derek was going to use his friend's house for trysts with his girlfriend). Adam's family comes home unexpectedly when the mother takes sick and Derek hides in the basement. Derek then hears a car pull up, the doorbell ring, and g ...more
Julia
Nov 19, 2012 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
This is a fast paced crime thriller. Not a genre I normally read a lot of, but, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will seek out Barclay's other books. Barclay is a Canadian author and former columnist for the Toronto Star.

The story begins with teenager, Derek, hiding out in his best friend's house who is also close neighbours, with the idea that he can use this house while the Langleys are on vacation, to take his girlfriend to be alone with her.

About 1/2 an hour after the Langleys leave, he he
Donna
Nov 12, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by the author. I just discovered him, so I am working my way backwards, more or less from newest to oldest publication. And while the writing isn't quite as smooth and the mystery is not exactly as compelling as his last two books (The Accident, Trust Your Eyes) this book, Too Close To Home, is a satisfying read. Linwood Barclay seems to specialize in bringing to his readers flawed, but likable protagonists, everyday Joes and Janes caught up in other people's shit storms.

In To
Линууд Баркли 1 7 Oct 17, 2014 04:17AM
  • In the Dark
  • Severed
  • Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)
  • You're Next
  • Three Weeks To Say Goodbye
  • The Innocent
  • Pismo gospođe Vilme
  • Blackfly Season (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #3)
  • City of the Sun (Frank Behr, #1)
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain
  • Пиреј
  • Amokspiel
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of thirteen novels, including Trust Your Eyes, A Tap on the Window, No Time for Goodbye and that novel's followup, No Safe House.
This summer, his thriller Broken Promise, the first of three linked novels about his fictional upstate New York town Promise Falls, will be released. Book two will come nine months later, and another nine month
More about Linwood Barclay...

“I don't subscribe much to the belief that things happen for a reason, that there's some higher power at the controls, directing all of us like we're in some cosmic summer stock production. Shit just happens is more or less my philosophy.” 6 likes
“If being an asshole was all it took to get yourself killed, you and I would have been dead long ago.” 5 likes