Manhunting

Manhunting

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  10,017 ratings  ·  560 reviews
"Few popular writers handle light romantic comedy as deftly as Jennifer Crusie."
--"Boston Globe" on "Bet Me"

"A sure bet...Jennifer Crusie's rollicking romance hits the jackpot."
"--BookPage "on" Bet Me"

"Wonderful, fresh, funny, tender, outrageous...Crusie is one of a kind."
"--Booklist "on "What the Lady Wants"

"Crusie seems incapable of writing a boring page, or one that's...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Hqn (first published January 1st 1993)

Barks & Bites
Manhunting is a five star read if there ever was one. If you're feeling blah and want a good laugh - along with a wonderful romance - you can't get better than this!

Kate Svensen is thirty-five, gorgeous and has a successful career. She's the kind of heroine we all love to hate. But wait a minute this is a Crusie heroine after all and not your standard perfectly coifed heroine. Not at all. Kate may be more successful than most of us ever dream of becoming but she's also insecure and more than a l...more
Diana
There are times when I crave a night of romantic comedies. Manhunting fulfills this hunger in book form.

Is it mindless? Yes.

It is predictable? Yup.

Is it for everyone?Probably not. But that's okay!

For those of you that adore a cute little love story, this is it! I don't know if it's because I haven't read any chick lit lately, but I let my emotions rush with Kate (the main character). I swooned, I hoped for the best and got what I/she wanted.

I guess I was in that type of mood. :)
Saly
This book was a total hoot because it had two characters who practiced self-delusion perfectly, the heroine with her corporate life and three engagements she broke off, who wanted to have a companion, someone smart and successful and definitely not like the hero Jake who does nothing, ever since he quit his job as a tax attorney in the city and invested all his money in the resort run by his brother and that is where these two meet.

The hero doesn't want to do anything or so he tells himself as h...more
Carrie
4.5* This book was so much fun! I loved every minute of it. The characters (all of them) were well done, the writing was hilarious without being slap-stick, and the dialog was sharp and witty. I only wish it was twice as long! Crusie is sort of hit-and-miss with me, I loved Bet Me, and enjoyed Anyone But You. However, I didn't care for parts of Fast Women (too cynical about marriage) and I have attempted and not finished Welcome to Temptation twice. After reading Manhunting, I'll definitely be g...more
Aubrey
Mar 02, 2008 Aubrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance fanatics
This book was hilarious! It is so hard to write a good romantic comedy. This is the first book I've read by this author and checked it out simply because I wanted to read a pink book. Usually I read books where there is a really good romance but not much of a plot, or a really good plot without much of a romance. I felt like this book had both. There were some major steamy scenes, so watch out, but this was one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I really enjoyed this one!
It's part of my "Conquer all Jennifer Crusie's books quest" !

If you needed a little motivation to read this one...
Here is what I had the surprise to find in it...

[image error]
Siria
Cute, fluffy, and predictable, this is very definitely early Crusie. While it is rather clichéd, and the writing is not technically strong—and I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll ever find a man with a moustache attractive—there is still enough spark in the banter and creativity in the humour to make it more than just a run-of-the-mill Harlequin romance novel. It passed an enjoyable hour or so in work, and if you like Crusie or romance novels in general, you'll probably enjoy this—just don't pick...more
Lady Heather
Really good story!
Loved Kate!
Jack certainly took his time getting his head out of his ass, but in the end it well worth the wait!
Jan
On the shorter side, but very cute and sweet. I liked both characters, and especially the inner conflicts they faced. Normally I prefer romances that play over a longer period, but I think Crusie made up for the fact that falling in love in a week is not staying in love forever, by letting the characters aknowledge that and worry about it.

Kate's encounters with potential partners were quite funny, though the last one seemed a bit contrived to me. I loved her early encounters with Jake though, an...more
Jacob Proffitt
This is her first novel?!? There's the cutest note at the front of this book that says it's her first and a favorite as a result. I can totally see why. Jake is cool enough (besides the name, I mean) and I really liked how... dimensional, I suppose... that he was. His attachment to Toby's Corner was endearing, even while his lay about lifestyle is mildly off-putting. His brother, Will, helped that a bit as their relationship and shared insights into Jake actively showed us that he had more depth...more
Julie
I've had issues with a few of Jennifer Crusie's early books, but this one was her first, and it's fantastic. Seriously, I loved this. It's bumped Welcome to Temptation from number two to number three on my list of favorite Crusies. By the way, I'm slowly reading her backlist, which is why so many of my reviews here are of her books.

I love stories where people fall in love on vacation. In fact, I'd have to say it's one of my favorite tropes of all time. I also love stories with protagonists that...more
Jess
Highly entertaining!! This book is all about Kate and her need to find the perfect man for her. She's already been engaged 3 times and never married. She keeps leaving the men after realizing that they aren't right for her. Her and her friend Jessie decide that Kate needs to attack marriage as if it were a business plan. After all, that's what Kate does for a living, so this should be the same thing right? No. Kate comes up with her plan of what the perfect man will be, and Jessie sends her out...more
Rachna R
4.5 stars -
I think everyone who reads lots of romance has that One True Favourite, the one who gets your favourite tropes and lingers over the parts of a dynamic that matter the most to you - I think Crusie's mine! She's got problems, I definitely couldn't read all of her books on repeat, but there are aspects of things she does that I wish more of the books I read did.

Things she's good at that I love:
- Warmth and affection even during the "I don't need to be attracted to you, I don't even like...more
Suzie Quint
I know that for a lot of folks WTT and Bet Me are the best Crusie reads, but this one is my favorite. I've had lots of guy friends, so I love that these two start out as friends. It's so much fun watching them "fishing" and I love how much enjoyment he gets as she manages to cripple every man she dates. I love, too, the way the realization that there's more going on than the friendship just slaps both of them upside the head. (Yes, I've experienced that, too.) This is my go-to for guaranteed lau...more
Chelsea
Another fun read from Crusie. It turns out this is actually her first book, reprinted with a much less embarrassing cover (poor Jennifer), and it shows, a little. Not her strongest novel, but fun and silly, and the hero has a mustache. Thought that was worth mentioning. Oh, and someone gets stabbed with a fork! I lol'd, as it were.

She really is good at banter. These characters can go back and forth with the best of them, and I have a huge weakness for solid banter.
This book reminds me of the movie Casual Sex? with Lea Thompson, Victoria Jackson and Andrew Dice Clay. I watch that movie about every 2 years or so - mostly because it comes on at like 2:00 in the morning and I am too tired to get the remote and I LOVE the 80's stuff so it's nostalgic. Big hair needs to come back. Seriously.

Yeah - Anyway - this book reminds me of that movie.
Duchess Nicole
Ms. Crusie is now officially one of my go-to authors whenever I feel like reading purely for comfort. Her books are always very solidly good reads for me. This one was no different. It was sweet and funny and sexy. Not an angsty, teaching life's lessons contemporary, just a nice easy read that left me with warm fuzzies when I put it down.
Samantha

Hilarious. Adorable.

I'll be reading more Jennifer Cruise as soon as possible.
Lee
Okay, so the ending is totally predictable...as in, it's obvious within the first couple of chapters who the main character is going to fall in love with. But the story between the beginning and the end is entertaining and funny, and the dialogue has some wonderful banter. I found myself laughing quite often at the sarcasm and light wit.
Rebecca
Crusie is hands-down my favorite romance author. This is her first book, and it's pretty straightforward--there are no spies, terrorists, Navy SEALS, disinherited heiresses, demons, amnesia, unwanted pregnancies, time-traveling Vikings, or any of the other things most romances include to provide a plot. Just a man and a woman who don't think they are going to fall in love, until they do.

It's obvious where it's going from a few pages in--it's a romance. But getting there is all of the fun, in thi...more
Olga Godim
I’m a fan of Jennifer Crusie. I’ve already read everything written by her, so this charming little novel, one of the author’s earlier books, is a re-read. I picked it off my shelf after I read MrsJ’s review. Thanks, MrsJ.
Like many Crusie’s novels, this story is a romance, but it doesn’t conform to all the romance tropes. Most bookstores shelve Crusie with regular fiction, and I know why.
The protagonist Kate wants to get married. She is tied of being alone. As a very successful and rich business...more
ѕєяєηιтι
3,5

Eğlenceli, karakterleri sevilesi, akıcı bir kitaptı romantik komedi okumayı sevenlerin hoşuna gideceğini düşünüyorum ki benim hoşuma gitti.

Kızımız Kate 3 nişan atmış doğru erkeği bulamamış şehirde yaşıyor babasının yanında çalıştığı işinde başarılı ama pek mutlu değil en iyi arkadaşının zorlamasıyla kendini kırsal bir tatil yerinde ideal erkeği bulacağı bir yerde buluyor. Tabii bu arayışta tanıştığı her erkeğin başına bir takım ufak kazalar geliyor:D Tatil yerinin ortaklarından eskiden başarı...more
Shxrxn
Why would you say ‘yes’ to three men you couldn’t bring yourself to marry?
- Jessie
If I have everything I want, why am I still running so hard?
- Kate
All you have to do is choose to be happy.
- Kate
I like my life. Stay out of it.
- Jake
The thing about women, is that they got liberated too fast. They never learned to be straightforward about life because they had to sneak around for about a thousand years tricking men into doing things they wanted. So they manipulate you instead of telling you what...more
Brooke Edwards
I really like Jennifer Crusie, she is a lighthearted author, and though her books aren't ever exceptionally written, they are fun and are always mood lifters :)

This one is about Kate, 35, single, living in the city, has been engaged three times, workes as a big shot business women at her daddy's company and is miserable. All she wants to do is find a man and get married. She thinks her type is "Distinguished, tall, and successful" but Kate ends up finding out that these qualities are exactly wha...more
adventurat
Having absolutely loved Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me, I hoped and expected to love this one equally, but I didn't. There were good parts - the dialogue, especially between the romantic leads, sparkled and the leads themselves sizzled from time to time, and there wasn't a vampire or werewolf in sight - but much of the rest was rather uneven, and I often felt like I was being told what was happening, rather than being shown (the writerly dictum being "show, don't tell").

The premise strained my creduli...more
Shawna Thomas
This was exactly what I needed. I light, fast-paced love story that left me with a happy sigh at the end. And proving once again you really can't go wrong with Jennifer Crusie. Manhunting was published in 1993 and you can tell. There are a few pov shifts... the sentence structure sometimes reads, well, like it was written in the 90s but overall this book was so enjoyable, the characters so captivating, I just didn't care.

Jake Templeton: The man you'd most like to take fishing.

Kate Svenson: The w...more
Beanse
I read this book for two reasons. 1. It was listed on Good reads as "tops 100 humorous books" 2. I downloaded it for free from the library.

This book was not funny, kind of sad. It reminded me of that STUPID statistic from the 90's about a "woman over the age of 35 is more likely to be killed by a terrorist than find a husband." Not only is that not true but bonus WE HAVE REAL TERRORIST NOW TO BOOT not so funny now is it?

It was just sad... pathetic and not funny at all. Woman are just not this s...more
Brownbetty
Manhunting is apparently Crusie's first book, but actually, I didn't have any suspicion of this until I finished, and read the foreword. (Which I did last, because I'm like that.) In retrospect, the rich were rather thick on the ground, which was maybe Crusie relying on the conventions of the genre.

I had thought that the rule of thumb for Crusie books is that the ones with dogs are the good ones, but this has only a hypothetical dachshund, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, so that can't be it.

If...more
Cláudia
You always know what to expect from Jennifer Crusie :)
This book had a more serious tone than most of the ones I've read so far, but it's so funny at the same time. It's obvious to anyone but themselves that Kate and Jake are mad about each other, but it wouldn't be half as funny if it was otherwise. They just *had* to go through all that scenes before finally having sex - yeah, it's a Crusie book, what were you expecting? ;o)
It's a fast paced book, unputdownable. And I had a great time reading i...more
Mary
I spent the entire day reading yesterday and was able to make my way through 3 1/2 books. Now, these were obviously not thick tomes of literature, but they were fun little novels that I really enjoyed. This was the final book I read, finishing it up in the later hours of the night before I headed to bed, and I really loved it. Although these stories by Jennifer Crusie are not very plausible, they are certainly entertaining, and I plan to keep making my way through her wonderful novels.
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • It Must Be Love
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils
  • Head Over Heels
  • Brazen
  • Breathing Room
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • Fools Rush in
  • Mouth To Mouth
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...
Bet Me Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1) Anyone But You Agnes and the Hitman Crazy For You

“It was a lot easier when we could just brand'em," Ben said. "Then everybody'd know not to mess with our womenfolk.” 27 likes
“Well, I know better what I don’t want. I don’t want somebody who’s always nagging me to be something I’m not. And I don’t want somebody who thinks she knows what’s best for me and who maneuvers around trying to get me to do things her way.”

Kate frowned. “Nobody wants anyone like that. It’s like saying, ‘I don’t want someone who’ll poke me in the eye with a sharp stick.’ Forget what you don’t want. What do you want?”
23 likes