Start by marking “Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  127,728 Ratings  ·  8,395 Reviews
In Maggie Stiefvater's thrilling sequel to Shiver, love is the question and the answer.

FORMAT: 8 CDs, Unabridged
NARRATORS: Jenna Lamia & David Ledoux

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published July 13th 2010 by Scholastic Audio

To ask other readers questions about Linger, please sign up.

Steff Gibson This site is a way for people to keep track of the books they have read. When you click read it means you have read them in the past tense. If you…moreThis site is a way for people to keep track of the books they have read. When you click read it means you have read them in the past tense. If you want to read it again you will have to download it or buy it or borrow it from the library. It's not a site where you can read the books online in the present tense, oh how the English language likes to confuse. Hope this helps :)(less)
Simone Yes! This book is fantastic. Isabel and Cole play a big role, and the plot is fantastic and page turning. There's also a healthy continuation of the…moreYes! This book is fantastic. Isabel and Cole play a big role, and the plot is fantastic and page turning. There's also a healthy continuation of the Sam/Grace romance. :) (less)

Morgan F
It's about time I write this review.

I wasn't blown away by Shiver, but that doesn't mean I wasn't eagerly waiting for Linger. I seem to be in the minority here, but I liked Linger more than I did Shiver.

I still don't understand Sam though. I've decided not call him gay anymore, because he makes it abundantly clear that he loves Grace. So instead, I will just call him feminine. I mean this boy
1. bakes bread
2. reads German poetry
3. writes sappy love songs
4. cooks
5. folds paper
6. is sensitive (ak
Hm. When this book arrived, I wasn't so sure if I should read it right away or if it would be better to wait for the final book of the trilogy, Forever, to be available. In the end, I was simply too curious ;).
But a small warning: This book ends on a major cliffhanger.

Altogether, the book wasn't bad - rather slow, though - but it was one of those sequels that wouldn't really have been necessary in my opinion.
While I wasn't totally ecstatic about Shiver, I definitely would have remembered it as
Maggie Stiefvater has a divine way with words. She describes things in vivid detail that had the ability to enchant anyone. She concocts beautiful colloquies that leaves the reader in raptures.

I am a reader.

So why the hell am I giving the book Linger, which was written by an exceptionally talented Maggie Stiefvater, two stars if I'm all praises at her writing?

What the hell went wrong?

Well, I honestly don't know either, but despite the writing being lyrical as most goodread users put it, the book
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

You know that feeling when you’re floating on water? All your senses are dampened, you are weightless, careless and completely relaxed. There aren’t any loud sounds, you are safe, perfectly happy and everything else seems a mile away... That’s EXACTLY how Maggie Stiefvater’s writing makes me feel. I want to hug this book and never ever let it out of my sight.

Grace and Sam are finally together, but they live in fear. They are constantly afraid that things will go back to the way they we
Jessica Olson
Jun 22, 2016 Jessica Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, werewolves
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.
I can't even describe how I feel right now..
I love this book so much :(
Aug 11, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist

While reading Linger, I kept thinking, "Wow, I really like this. This is awesome. But I still like Shiver better..." And I kept that sentiment up until the last few chapters. Then it ended. And now, I have to say that I like both books EQUALLY. I agree, Linger's ending isn't entirely out of the blue, and I actually had my suspicions that the story *would* end "that way," but my reading experience was still enjoyable and engrossing.

I do think it's fair to say that the tones of Linger and Shiver a
There are certain books that inspire me so tremendously, so irrevocably, that I know these books fuel the flames of my passion for reading and writing. Shiver, and now Linger, have joined these ranks.

Linger is the sequel to Shiver, and continues the bittersweet story of Sam and Grace, two lovers who fight for the right to be together. Sam stays sorrowful in the absence of Grace and desperately tries to avoid his past. Grace grows weak and frightful, while her hopes of a future with Sam dissipate
In the second installment to the Wolves of Mercy Falls series: Sam is having trouble believing in his cure, Grace is acting strangely and feeling like she doesn't fit into her own skin anymore, and a new wolf is in Mercy Falls: Cole, the once lead singer of a popular rock band, NARKOTIKA, is dealing with the issues of straddling the line between man and wolf. But honestly? He'd rather stay a wolf than deal with the problems that come with being human.
Meanwhile, Isabel, the girl who had to deal w
Aug 19, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010
Reading and reviewing Linger has made me empathize with Aron Rolston all the more (for those of you who don’t know Aron, he is a mountain climber who had to cut his own arm off while he was literally trapped between a rock and a hard place). As many of you who have read my reviews know, there is no love lost between Shiver and I, and one would presume that my extreme dislike, nay loathing, of said book would have prevented me from reading book two. But alas, my damnable curiosity got the better ...more
Miss Kim
Aug 03, 2010 Miss Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one barley made 4 stars for me...

Sadness. Despair. Hopelessness. Depression. Impending doom. This is the tone of the second book in Ms. Stievfater’s Mercy Falls series. I absolutely loved Shiver, but the tone of Linger just brought me down. I should have been able to read this in one or two days, but it took a week because I kept putting it down.

Sam and Grace are still the main focus in this story. Sam is no longer a wolf, and things should be great right? Wrong. Sam is conflicted about los
Feb 20, 2011 Joyzi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind plotless novels
Recommended to Joyzi by: Maggie Stiefvater
I can say that Maggie still showed her talent of writing beautifully in this novel, the way she wrote it was really really good that it made the book tolerable despite its flaws. The book for me was okay it could be amazing but my problem with the book was it's completely plotless, plotless, plotless, and it was also extremely slow in pace.

I think the last part of the book was the only one that makes sense that I thought finally that...okay, somehow it has a plot and probably I would still be re
Linger gets off to a slow start - which I didn’t mind b/c the prose is engaging and I liked the characters from last time - so it was nice to settle into the groove.

Problem is - the slow start lingers until halfway through the book.

200 pages of Not A Lot Happening.

At which point I check the blurb to try and figure out what the book is about anyways - because half way in and I had no idea.

sooo... after finishing it i’m still not sure what it is about? what were the stakes? what did the protags
Diana Torales
Sep 17, 2016 Diana Torales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
OMG :c Tengo que calmarme con otras lecturas antes de seguir con el último libro
Kay M. Fraser
Apr 08, 2010 Kay M. Fraser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unreleased
How do you start the review of one of the best books you have ever read?
Do justice to it? I'll do my best.

Linger is the story of Sam, Grace, Isabel with the introduction of a new character to the mix Cole.

I don't believe in spoilers. I believe in telling people the reasons why this book is such a need for readers of the genre. Here it goes. Words describing what to expect.

Grace: Changing, Unpredictable, Strong, stoic, beautiful as ever, In pain, loving, considerate, and for the first time extre
Feb 27, 2011 Riv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at:

I was a little tentative to start Linger because of the multiple points of view. As you know, instead of Shiver's two characters-Grace and Sam-we have four; the original two along with Isabel and Cole.

I felt like the plot buildup was a little slow. It started out awesome; I had high expectations. Then something happened that made me really excited, but then it died down again very quickly. The main problem was something wrong with Grace, and I felt like
Jul 28, 2010 Mari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Riggsby
What can I say? Except I loved Shiver and truth be told, I always fret a little bit about sequels. I mean, can an author capture that feeling of my first infatuation with a book? That delicious little feeling of "Wow, I have to keep reading this?"

Well, I have to say that Maggie Stiefvater did. She did it all over again and I sit back amazed at her storytelling skills.

This time around it's not just about Sam and Grace. There's fact there are four POVs represented in the book. And while
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

Let me start off by saying that I did enjoy the book Linger … for the most part that is. Grace and Sam are definitely a likeable set of characters and the overall plot has a strong dose of intrigue to it. However, I found it a bit too slow paced for the first 300 pages or so as our main character suffered through headaches, fevers, bloody noses and fatigue waiting for the inevitable to occur.

The multiple POVs had me skeptical at first, and I think Stiefvater could
Lauren Wilson
Apr 03, 2010 Lauren Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not going to compare Linger with Shiver by saying it was better or worse because really, for me, that's like comparing snowflakes: very different but the same. Linger still had Sam, Grace, Isabel, the cold air, the sad feeling. But it also was different. New character, new point of views, new realizations.

As a Shiver fan, I was worried that these two new point of views (Isabel and Cole) would just be painful chapters while waiting for Sam and Grace to talk, but this was not the case. Part o
Jacoline Maes
I flew through this book and I am happy there is another book and a spin-off from this trilogy. I also still have some other Maggie Stiefvater books to read, though I am sure it won't be very long until the day that I realise I will have to wait for a new Maggie Stiefvater book to be released.

Back to Linger. In Linger there are new characters introduced and while I mostly don't like the new narrators at first (or never at all) I did like them in this book, I even wanted to keep reading from thei
May 03, 2010 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's a Sucker for a Werewolf Teenage Romance Novel
This is the second book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls series, and it is no less magical than the first. Sam is trying to adjust to being a full time human AND the leader of the pack of winter wolves as an early spring thaw occurs. Some of the new members are having problems, and a new theory of how the "changes" occur is formed out of desperation as wolves die and Grace seems to be suffering from the same sort of illness they are. The sense of the ticking clock is very prevalent in this book, and ...more
Vanessa Wong
Sep 21, 2016 Vanessa Wong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vanessa by: Cait (Paper Fury)
Well, wasn't that the best. I don't see how it could've been much better - except for if Isabel narrated the whole book. :).

I really enjoyed the werewolf science parts - they were awesome!

My favourite character remains Isabel.

This book marks my 30th review on Goodreads!
Yiota Misiou

" Είναι για μένα;"
" Όλα μου τα τραγούδια είναι για σένα" είπε ο Σαμ.
" Όχι βιασύνες".
" Για σένα όχι. Εσύ πρέπει απλώς να κολυμπάς μέσα στη ζωή και να είσαι η Γκρέις, κι εγώ είμαι αυτός που πρέπει να τρέχει για να προλαβαίνει δημιουργικά και στιχουργικά το πως αλλάζεις. Δεν είσαι ακίνητος στόχος, ξέρεις".
I did not like it, I wasn't interested in the story line or the characters at all. I SHOULDN'T HAVE READ IT. There is no trace here of what made me love Shiver so much. I regret reading this book immensely, to me the story was closed in the first book and there was no need for a continuation.

Originally, when I first finished reading Shiver I had no intention of reading Linger (or any other book of the series for that matter), I was flawlessly happy and content with how it ended, but then I rea
Aug 01, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cori Reed
2.5 Stars!

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one, and I was annoyed by essentially all the characters, especially Grace and her parents.

Will I read the final book? Undecided. For now I'm moving on.
Stief-fever. Come at me Book III

In a cover letter in the ARC of Shiver that I received a year ago Stiefvater said it best. “When I wrote Shiver, I committed the cardinal writerly sin of falling in love with my characters. My objectivity was toast.”

I’m afraid that has happened to me as well. Grace, stoic Grace, all hard angles and pragmatic - Sam, lovely Sam, all open wound and broken. When I closed my copy of Shiver I cried a little. It was such a beautiful ending I didn’t want to let them go. Now Stiefvater continues their me
Future Teachers, ...: Cassie's review #3 1 4 Sep 30, 2016 01:41PM
Audiobooks 3 9 Feb 08, 2016 11:30AM
Isabel & Cole 2 24 Jan 09, 2016 08:36AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Linger By Maggie Stiefvater 1 11 Aug 03, 2015 09:35AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Restarting April 24th 2015 112 122 May 06, 2015 07:19PM
Books, Books, And...: Linger 2 6 Mar 25, 2015 10:16PM
COLE ST. CLAIRE 4 28 Mar 15, 2015 03:44AM
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Captivate (Need, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Gone (Wake, #3)
  • Spells (Wings, #2)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2; Nightshade World #5)
  • Unraveled (Intertwined, #2)
  • Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Wolves of Mercy Falls (4 books)
  • Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
  • Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3)
  • Sinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #4)

7 trivia questions
6 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“...she made her home in between the pages of books.” 1010 likes
“This is a love story. I never knew there were so many kinds of love or that love could make people do so many different things.

I never knew there were so many different ways to say goodbye.”