Start by marking “Theory and Practice Of Virtue” as Want to Read:
Theory and Practice Of Virtue

Theory and Practice Of Virtue

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Published August 31st 1988 by University of Notre Dame Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Theory and Practice Of Virtue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theory and Practice Of Virtue

Glenn Williams
This book was recommended to me in my study of leadership virtues, and what a virtuous leader is. I am also on the quest to understand if there are common virtues that transcend culture.

Meilaender looks to thinkers like Plato, Augustine, Aquinas, Martin Luther and Josef Pieper. He explores some of the following concepts:

The primary task of morality should be exploration of the means by which we discipline the “fat relentless ego”

If action flows from vision and vision depends on character, then
Erik
Dec 01, 2009 Erik marked it as to-read
Recommended by James Schall in Another Sort of Learning, Intro to Part Three, as one of Schall's Unlikely List of Books to Keep Sane By---Selected for Those to Whom Making Sense Is a Prior Consideration, but a Minority Opinion.
Hlobo
Hlobo marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Aleteshome
Aleteshome marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Michael Peterson
Michael Peterson marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
May 01, 2010
Bioethics: A Primer for Christians Neither Beast Nor God: The Dignity of the Human Person Friendship: A Study in Theological Ethics The Freedom of a Christian: Grace, Vocation, and the Meaning of Our Humanity The Way That Leads There: Augustinian Reflections on the Christian Life