Start by marking “Nature of Animal Healing” as Want to Read:
Nature of Animal Healing

Nature of Animal Healing

The Nature of Animal Healing is a groundbreaking, inspirational contribution to animal care. Dr. Martin Goldstein, one of the most successful and best-known holistic veterinarians in the country, offers here, for the first time, invaluable insights into how to give our pets a healthy, happy, and long life.
Dr. Goldstein--a graduate of the Cornell University College of Vete
Published August 26th 2009 by Random House Publishing Group (first published April 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nature of Animal Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nature of Animal Healing

David Jay
Aug 10, 2008 David Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog and cat owners
Written by one of the vets who works with Sophie, one of Oprah's dogs... So you know he must know what he is talking about...
I thought that this was a great book about how to care for your dog or cat holistically, focusing on environment, nutrition and emotions. I love the section on the spiritual connection between pets and the owners. I don't think I've ever read anything non-fiction that addressed that topic before.
The only problem I had with this book is that some of that stuff that Goldstei
Monica
Jun 24, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pets
Very nice book on how to care for our pets holistically. I especially enjoy the information on feeding pets high quality food, including home cooked meals. I also feel that it's most important for people to realize that over vaccination is dangerous to pets and completely not needed.

Although it is more expensive, you can ask for a titer test to determine the antibody levels in your pet for certain vaccines. I just did this for my 1 year old cocker spaniel and he did not need to get re-injected f
Jen
Feb 20, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stuff
Personally, I found this guy a little hokey... some nice ideas, but too much "miracle syndrome" stuff to be completely believable.
Arlene
Feb 11, 2016 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for every dog owner as an aid on howto treat your pet before you need a vet and also how to select which type of therapy you approve. How to avoid the tyranny of many vets and dog food manufacturers and decide for yourself the best method for raising your pet. Recognizing the double talk and scams and pressure tactics used upon owners to comply with big business which is not aimed and prolonging the life of your best friend.

I learned a lot and found this book confirmed plus elabo
Andrea Partee
Jun 14, 2013 Andrea Partee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my absolute favorite book for dog health and I keep it in reach as a reference. Having a holistic practitioner for my kids and myself along with self treatment using homeopathy, herbs and food, I hated I couldn't find the equivalent in the veterinary field.

I was looking for something credible for use with the five dogs I had at the time and this book helped immensely. Since Dr. Marty was a traditional practicing veterinarian first, it gives him more credibility for those who still belie
Lisa
Jul 04, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pet owners with brains.
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
Another life-changer for my pets. The author is an actual Cornell graduate veterinarian, not some holistic quack. Though he does preach holistic medicine. Thoroughly researched and well-written, this book will make you take a second look at what your vet shoves on your pet unnecessarily every year. Read what he says about those vaccinations. After puppyhood, we didn't vaccinate our dog for six years. A move across country, a plane flight, and several stints in boarding kennels required renewed v ...more
Kristin
Jul 09, 2008 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you care about your cat or dog, I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book.

Dr. Goldstein provides a lot of information. But, he does a wonderful job at mixing up the medical information with personal anecdotes and stories about his patients and their care-givers. And, it is all really to understand.

The funny thing is that his approach is a holistic one--treating the animal as a whole being. After reading his book, it really all just seems like common sense.

This book has really changed
Miranda Davis
Sep 20, 2012 Miranda Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr Marty as his patients' owners know him, uses a holistic approach to treat cancer and chronic diseases. I was fortunate to have found him when my beloved dog develop soft tissue cancer at 9. With Dr. Marty's treatments and nutritional supplementation, Chance lived another 6 years without suffering a reoccurrence and was his irascible self to the day he died.

There is a great deal of wisdom in this book for pet owners looking to improve their pet's health and quality of life by reasonable means
Erin
Jun 14, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because my dog has been severely ill and the more medications I gave her, the more uncomfortable I felt. Part personal anecdote, part scientific study, Dr. Martin Goldstein has profoundly changed the way I view veterinary medicine. I've overhauled both my dog's and my diets, added holistic supplements, and seen tremendous results in both the way I feel and the way my dog is feeling. This book was a game-changer for us.
Rebecca Cooper
Mar 25, 2016 Rebecca Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, dogs, nonfiction
Absolute must-read for pet owners. I got this book when my cat was diagnosed with kidney failure, and it's dramatically opened my eyes about so many aspects of pet health. The chapter on vaccinations is particularly shocking. It's only a shame that it's so hard to find a holistic veterinarian. But that just means as a pet owners we need to be that much more educated and responsible.
Stacy Curro
Jun 02, 2012 Stacy Curro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use and refer to this book all the time. I wish this was required reading in all the vet schools to open their minds. I'd recommend this book to everyone who has a pet.
Tyra Schutt
Feb 21, 2010 Tyra Schutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will change your views of how you feed and care for your pet. Very eye opening and disturbing, but a wonderful reference and a must-read for pet owners.
Abby
Sep 13, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great learning tool for pet owners. It completely changed the way I feed my dog and holistically look at all aspects of his health.
Kim Mccary
Aug 19, 2012 Kim Mccary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago, became and still serves as my touchstone for supporting my animal companion's health and happiness.
Carrie
May 17, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent information, and not overwhelming. Ralphie the dog is already healthier!
Robin
Feb 17, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book to keep going back to for a multitude of pet purposes.
Sonia T
Sep 02, 2011 Sonia T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening book to learn about the (natural) health of your pet.
Jennifer Kachnic
Jul 21, 2011 Jennifer Kachnic rated it it was amazing
Well written and lots of great information
Shanna
Oct 01, 2007 Shanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent resource for any animal lover!
Michelle
Nov 15, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aminals, youth
My hero.
Ines Domingues
Ines Domingues marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Madison N. Baumholser
Madison N. Baumholser rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Dana Kiyomura
Dana Kiyomura rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Ethel Ruth Seybert
Ethel Ruth Seybert is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Jan Nunley
Jan Nunley rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
George
George rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Susan T
Susan T is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Bea
Bea rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
  • Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
  • Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food
  • The New Natural Cat: A Complete Guide for Finicky Owners
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • Animal E.R.
  • Feed Your Pet Right: The Authoritative Guide to Feeding Your Dog and Cat
  • Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit
  • Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution
  • The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • Naked Chocolate: The Astounding Truth About The World's Greatest Food
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs

“Imagine waking up in the morning and going to the kitchen and to make yourself some breakfast. You take some soybean grits, mix them with some tainted cattle meat, throw in a few beaks and feathers, smother your concoction with processed sugar syrup and chemicals, then sprinkle on a few preservatives and dyes. Pressure cook the hell out of it, let it cool-and dig in!” 2 likes