Sukitte Iinayo 1

Sukitte Iinayo 1 (Suki-tte Ii na yo #1)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  2,926 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Mei Tachibana has spent her 16 years without making either boyfriend or friends. One day, she drop-kicks a popular boy in school, Yamato Kurosawa, because of a misunderstanding but for some reason it seems that he takes a liking to her and one-sidedly claims that they’re friends. Furthermore, he not only protects Mei from a stalker, he does it with a kiss…?!!
Published August 11th 2008 by Kōdansha (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sukitte Iinayo 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sukitte Iinayo 1

Lex (Fastidious Reader)
Jan 05, 2013 Lex (Fastidious Reader) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lex (Fastidious Reader) by: Rachel
I know. I really love this volume. It's really good. I can't find faults for this manga. I like Mei, Yamato, Asami and even Nakanishi. Back then, I was insecure of my figure too. I mean, I got this big boobs too. Well, bigger than my peers. I was not really bullied because of it. But since I'm a bit of a tomboy back then, I didn't like having big breasts cause, how can I run and play with friends if my boobs are juggling in front of me? lol. It's annoying to have them that I wished I'm a flat ch...more
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Feels like a real slice-of-life story. The girl isn't cuddly, but you can relate to why she is the way she is. The guy is nice, but not squeaky-clean. These characters feel real, they have what they show on the surface, but they also have depth in the past they hide.
Neha
Say "I Love You" (the English translation) is a beautiful, heart-warming manga series. It exhibits the true essence of adolescent love and relationships, without sugar-coating everything with stomach-wrenching adorable traits.

The author gives you an unhindered look into what being a teenager in Japan is like (which isn't too far off from how teens work here in the US). We get a glimpse into young teenage girls and their battle with body image. We get to see how sexual relationships take form in...more
Lacey
A high school romance. A girl that doesn't have a high self esteem, meets a guy that actually likes her. She can't believe him, and doesn't understand why he likes her. But she is slowly opening herself up to him, and is even making some friends in the process. This was a pretty good story, and reminds me of myself and I'm sure other girls can relate as well.
Lucille
This is one of the most realistic mangas I've read that deals with a teenagers real problems nowadays--sexual activity, being fat, not getting enough attention, and insecurities.

*There's actually no sexual activity in the actual manga, but it's included in their conversations.
Jessica
I love all the things:

1) Roundhouse kick
2) Yamato
3) Mei's development.
4) Covers a TON of social high-school issues in one volume

I can't wait to read more! Reading about Yamato's transitioning from dorky middle-schooler to full on sexual puberty is hard. All the girls are continuously chasing after him. I think after having a middle school experience, I wouldn't mind kissing everyone, ahahahaha! Not to mention his crew of friends all are battling their insecurities as the student body LOVES to po...more
Ivana Ciglar
May 16, 2014 Ivana Ciglar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

Absolutely delightful light romance manga !

Tachibana Mei is a 16 year old girl who doesn't have any friends and she never had a boyfriend. She doesn't believe in friendship because so called friends always betrayed her and humiliated her.

"Mei: People betray each other all the time. And at school it's just a bunch of idiots who need someone to bully. I don't want to hang out with that kind of people. So I don't have friends.
Yamato: You can't say that everyone is like that.
Mei: Yes, everyone. They
Mehsi
I saw this anime when it aired last year, I absolutely loved it, so you can imagine how happy and how much I bounced around when I heard that Kodansha would publish the manga in English!

And now it is here, and I can honestly say, the anime did a great job. The manga pretty much is the same as the anime, but it is still enjoyable and fun.

I love Mei, she is a cute character, though I think it is a shame that she gave up on friends and such, never tried it again. Though I know the feeling, girls ca...more
☆Tweety ☆
Mei Tachibana is a sixteen year old girl who hasn't got any friends at school. She hasn't even got a boyfriend ever in her life, because all the people she's been in class with, treated her very badly, ignored her, and pretended as if she didn't exist. This made Mei very indifferent to others, made her believe everybody is bad and with prejudices, until the day she starts interacting with Yamato Kurosawa, a popular guy that goes to her school (lol, she kicks him by mistake). He is very friendly...more
Parille
Rachel
16 year old Mei has lived her whole life without friends. Early childhood betrayals taught her others can't be trusted, because they will only leave you in the dust when you need them most. She avoids people on principle, making her somewhat lonely. Still, she is incredibly strong, walks her own path, and has strong ideals on what friendship should be. Yamato is the complete opposite, he acts like a chameleon, fitting into any crowd, so he knows what it is like to be judged on appearance alone....more
取るに足らない (tina) (hiatus: school)
The contents in the book can only happen because it is a manga world. In the real world, it would praticallly make bizarre sense for the scenes to play itself and the characters. Oh but what am I saying! Everything in a manga is because it is in a manga that it works out! ( or doesn't, which leads to a crap load of crumbling hearts left behind ) Imagine that your the plainish girl that blends in the crowd and then the 'most' popular guy's friend's tease so you hit them (yes hit them, manga is...more
Andreea M. Arsene
Quotes I absolutely adore:

"I realized that in the end no one`s going to protect you but yourself..."
"What`s controlling people is people after all."
"Believe in people from now one, even it`s little by little."
Ella
Whaa! Suki-tte Ii na yo- Say I Love You. I love the anime and love the manga. Figuring out how one simple girl, who has no friends and turns out to be loved by Yamato.. who ends up having a few girls that are after him for his love. Though, Yamato ends up having Mei for himself. I just love this couple.
Cassie
This is such a cute and funny manga. I watched the anime equivalent sometime last year and liked it. But now that I'm reading the manga, I see how much the anime changed and left out. The manga is better of course. The boom versions always are... Lol
cEe beE
Cute romantic manga. I saw the anime version first and decided to read this. So glad I did. This is way better!
Phrem (Smut Junkie)
Just a heart-warming manga. Two different and adorable human beings who fell in love with each other.
Chrissie

I adored this one! It was so cute. Totally looking forward to the rest of the series
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~4/5

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

I’ve already read some of this series, plus I’ve seen the anime. Which means that I am already a huge fan, and was one of the people excited when it got licensed. I’m already a fan of the characters, the romance, the art, the writing. It’s been so long since I first read it, though, that this re-read is making it fresh in my mind. Plus, there are extras at the back, including author comments, which I didn’t get in my first read, and I enjoy those.

This se...more
Sakura Yue Michaelis
Jun 13, 2013 Sakura Yue Michaelis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sakura Yue Michaelis by: Kagama-theLiteratureVixen
This a review for Vol. 1 and 2.

I don't understand why this is considered a shoujo, since it is very sexualized. There are several scenes showing a couple post-sex, although it is not smutty. Except that in one part, it does show a girl naked. Maybe it is considered shoujo because it happens in school? Because it has some funny moments? I don't know.

I was recommended to read it after I asked from recommendations similar to Kimi ni Todoke. The plot is obviously similar, only much more mature. Mei...more
April
I read the English translation of this and expected it to be another light shoji Fangirl piece, but it's not it's a real coming of she story about a number of characters who are like able but suffer from some major flaws and find themselves digging themselves into situations with sex or relationships that they don't always intend. There is also a very strong theme of treating every person with respect (anti-bullying) and finding the strength to be ones self.
Danielle
While I definitely enjoy volume one of this series (it has some really cute moments!), it isn’t a favorite. It reminds me a lot of Mars by Fuyumi Soryo, which will always be my #1 shōjo, but with more comedy. I would have liked this a lot more if the relationship between Mei and Yamato didn’t come off as him knowing what she wants better than she does. There are times when Yamato definitely doesn’t respect the boundaries that Mei has and it comes off like consent doesn’t matter.

The issues that t...more
María
Lately I have been reading a lot of manga (a lot, really)so I thought it would be useful if I also keep track of them on goodreads. But there are so many volumes I'm only adding the first one.

About Suki-tte Ii na yo, I liked this manga, because I definitely relate to the protagonist struggle with friendships. Once you have been hurt, it is hard to try to trust people again. This is a good story, a good romance too.
Florie Jo
The art style is great. But the characters' backgrounds bore me. Seems like every manga is always about hanging out with the popular students. I do love mangas but in all seriousness, it's just a cheesy,yet random, world of creative imaginations.
Lara
Ummmm... Huh. I'm not entirely sure what to think about this one. I guess I liked it, but I can't quite see myself sticking with this series for the long haul. But I'll give it another volume and see what happens.
Angela
very cute. Reminds me of Kimi ni Todoke except it gets to the point faster. Doesn't tug the heartstrings as well but we'll see if it picks up in the next volume.
Charles
3.5: Shojo bordering on a straight up study of teen issues. The main romance seems somewhat forced, but the study of other relationships and personal issues is good.
Anita Truong
Cute start to a shoujo manga series.

See my bundle "not-a-review" for Volumes 1 to 4 at Book Abyss via BookLikes.
Hillary
SO CUTE!! Typical shojo manga with good art and some LOL moments. Will make you smile! The high-school relationship story will not be new to anyone but that is moot. Popular boy befriends loner girl and they both grow and meet other friends and you know the rest: it is the likeable characters and humor that make it worth reading.
Mayo
Oh my Gush! This is so lovely, I love this. Favorite contemporary shoujo!
  • Hiyokoi 1
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #1)
  • アオハライド 1 (Ao Haru Ride, #1)
  • ホリミヤ 1 (Horimiya #1)
  • L-DK, Vol. 01
  • わたしに××しなさい! 1 (Watashi ni xx Shinasai! #1)
  • 日々蝶々 1 [Hibi Chouchou 1]
  • はぴまり~Happy Marriage!?~ (1) (Happy Marriage?!, #1)
  • Love So Life, Vol. 1 (Love So life, #1)
  • Inu x Boku SS, Vol. 1
  • Kiss/Hug, Vol. 01
  • Akagami no Shirayukihime - 赤髪の白雪姫, Vol. 01
  • 神様はじめました 15 [Kamisama Hajimemashita 15]
  • The One, Volume 1
  • ひるなかの流星 2 (Hirunaka no Ryuusei, #2)
かなえ 葉月 is a manga artist and writer from Chigasaki, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan , born in 1980 September.
More about Kanae Hazuki...
Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 4 Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 3 Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 5 Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 2 Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 6