Start by marking “Dorothy Day: Selected Writings; By Little and by Little” as Want to Read:
Dorothy Day: Selected Writings; By Little and by Little

Dorothy Day: Selected Writings; By Little and by Little

This year marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the death of Dorothy Day (1897-1980)--co-founder of the Catholic Worker movement, and one of the most inspiring figures of recent history. By her lifelong option for the poor and her devotion to active nonviolence, Day fashioned a new face for the gospel in our time. In 2000 the Vatican recognized her cause for canonization, ...more
Published April 21st 2005 by Orbis Books (first published April 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dorothy Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorothy Day

Talia
Nov 03, 2008 Talia rated it really liked it
I renewed this twice and still wasn't able to finish it... not because it was a hard read, I just really wanted to digest everything I was reading. Needless to say, I needed to return it to the library a lot earlier than I was ready to, so I will have to request it again soon and finish it. I find her life fascinating, and I actually took a class with the author as part of my graduate studies at BC, so I was very interested to read this particular account of her life. I think he did a great job ...more
Beth
Jul 12, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
I read this book over a two-year period as my spiritual reading. It added much to my understanding of the spirituality and practice of social justice.

Even though she didn't want her work and those of her Catholic Worker companions to be "dismissed so easily" and the Catholic Church has ignored her, Dorothy Day is unquestionably a saint IMHO for her devotion to nonviolence and justice for people in poverty, and for her deeply spiritual and inspiring writing.

As a Catholic-turned-Quaker I would r
Ben Valentine
Mar 24, 2015 Ben Valentine rated it it was amazing
Dorothy Day blows me away and challenges me so much in her writings. We writes with so much beauty yet also with a raw directness that gets to your heart. She writes on the Catholic worker movement, The Works of Mercy, and her experiences working with the poor. You will more or less understand the heart of the Christian life after reading this: that we must give of ourselves as Christ gave of Himself and fight for justice in the world.
Heather
Jun 01, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
This is a good book to keep on the nightstand and read a chapter here and there...It's snippets from Dorothy Day's writings and life and give a glimpse of her life and servanthood. She met people where they were at and came with compassion and love...She is upfront with her own sin and weakness, and not pretentious in her own righteousness (which I'm sure she'd deny). Her writings and insights are applicable to Christian's today, a refreshing reminder of how to serve and love in today's world.
Heather S. Jones
Oct 15, 2007 Heather S. Jones marked it as to-read
i have been touched by the snippets i've heard and come across -- i haven't yet read her work & musings and can't remember the origins of my discovery but have noted down the following which were attributed to her: "There can be no brotherhood without the Fatherhood of God"; "Worship, adoration, thanksgiving, supplication. . . are the noblest acts of which we are capable in this life."
Lisa Powell
Jan 31, 2017 Lisa Powell rated it really liked it
Elementary (read to), middle school, high school, ethics and theology.

Day is a Catholic writer, one of the main figures of the Catholic Worker Movement. She worked with the poor and as a pacifist after converting away from her early years where she was interested in communism, had a child out of wedlock. Very interesting essays, most students will need some guidance for context.
Renzo
Feb 23, 2011 Renzo rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Didn't know too much about Dorothy Day, so these selected writings were a great introduction to this truly impressive woman. What a life - and what an example for everyone to follow, if only in small ways...
Sue
Oct 01, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, inspiring read. I learned a lot about social justice and how one can make a difference. The faith this woman holds and lives through shines in her writing and is something within anyone's capability.
Lauren
Apr 14, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, 2009, own
I loved this book and I found a new love in Dorothy Day! I found her insight astounding and I learned many things from her about social issues, poverty and the work force. She is an inspiration. I hope she is canonized some day soon.
Sandra
May 17, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing
I will never stop reading this book as I find inspiration in the life and character of Dorothy Day. Like Flannery O'Connor, I find both women to be heroic and worthy of admiration for their honesty, faithfulness to their beliefs and manner of expressing themselves.
Mary Helene
Mar 31, 2007 Mary Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still reading this book. Because it's an anthology of her writing, it feels best to read in short bits every day. I remember Nick reading it every morning for about a year; I'm following his example. Her clear, sweet moral vision is razor sharp without being harsh.
Nick
Mar 31, 2007 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
These selections from Dorothy Day's writings are simply wonderful, inspiring pieces that I turn to again and again to deepen my understanding of nonviolence, of love and of justice. A must-read book for everyone!
Marc
Mar 23, 2015 Marc rated it it was amazing
A must read for those convicted by our Lord's command to help the least of these.
Mandi Aubrey
One of my heroes.
ninamo
Sep 29, 2015 ninamo rated it liked it
Shelves: not-finished
Humble & inspiring -- yet revolutionary -- simple, pithy gems..
Sr Nicole
Feb 10, 2013 Sr Nicole rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic.
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Mariana Lo
Mariana Lo rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Lena
Lena rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2012
Steven Wall
Steven Wall rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2010
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Paul Hoxie
Paul Hoxie rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Cathy Giroux
Cathy Giroux rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Webster Bull
Webster Bull rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2010
Eric Svingen
Eric Svingen rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2009
Regan Mcgann
Regan Mcgann rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Loaves and Fishes
  • Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination (Powers, #3)
  • What Would You Do?
  • The Violence of Love
  • The Nonviolent Atonement
  • Dorothy Day: A Radical Devotion
  • The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture
  • From Brokenness to Community
  • Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context
  • The Beloved Community: How Faith Shapes Social Justice, From the Civil Rights Movement to Today
  • Dialogues with Silence: Prayers and Drawings
  • Anarchy and Christianity
  • Inner Compass: An Invitation to Ignatian Spirituality
  • The Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New CreationA Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethic
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • Encountering God: A Spiritual Journey from Bozeman to Banaras
  • The New Friars: The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor
  • Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary