Start by marking “What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Get Ready for Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Get Ready for Kindergarten

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Give your child a smart start with
What Your Preschooler Needs to Know

Designed for parents to enjoy with children, filled with opportunities for reading aloud and fostering curiosity, this beautifully illustrated anthology offers preschoolers the fundamentals they need to prepare for a happy, productive time in school—and for the rest of their lives. Hundreds of thousand
Published December 10th 2008 by Delta (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Your Preschooler Needs to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Preschooler Needs to Know

Erin
When it came out that my son didn't know Row Row Row Your Boat, I realized there were a few holes in his knowledge and did an impulse checkout of this title at the library. We are not homeschoolers and I'm not using this as any kind of formal curriculum so I can't review based on that, but I have renewed it three times so that's my ringing endorsement.

It's broken into sections: poems, songs, stories, history, science, and art, and each section has its own color on the upper right so it's easy to
jacky
This book wasn't quite what I was looking for, but worked well all the same. I was interested in content I should start exposing Natalie to before preschool and this gives a lot, though i did not need it in read aloud fashion. I much prefer real picture books instead of their versions of the fairy tales. I also wondered how they decided which rhymes and songs were core. What makes "do you know the muffin man?" so important? I was glad to see the history and science sections. I thought the conten ...more
Timber
As a homeschool teacher, I love the Core Knowledge series. I especially like the history and literature sections of this book, and I love how the series builds on itself as the grades progress.
Allison
Apr 24, 2014 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents & Teachers of Preschoolers
I finally have the time to sit down and completely read this series. The first thing that hit me as I got into it was a huge sense of regret that I did not read these books when my children were preschoolers. They, and I, would have benefited from them.

I know folks in the education field today and there are many complaints about the state of things today and about ever sort of system of learning out there - including the Common Core concept this series promotes. Personally, I know that I do not
Jill
While I was browsing in the bookstore at our local mall that is going out of business this book jumped out at me. I already have two children in school and prior to being a stay at home mom I taught first and second grade for a number of years. I know what we were expecting for children to be ready for those grades and feel like I have a pretty good idea of what is expected to enter kindergarten, but I thought this might be a handy reference guide for fun activities to do with my three year old. ...more
Dorothy Oneil
Jan 08, 2009 Dorothy Oneil rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents with small children
Fiona (almost 5) loves this book. But she is not the only one, Brigid, 11, loves to read the fairy tales and poetry to her. Terence,9 likes to read the science portion and Aine, 7, will sing the songs and finger plays with her because it reminds her of her "preschool with Sr. Isabella". It, of course, is not at one time read but a book you share with your child over and over.
We've had to make several trips to the dr. this winter and taking this book along for all to share and read together seems
Mary Ann
The book has quality paper and nice pictures. I have read through the whole book, and am excited to get into it with my boys. My oldest is not yet 2.5, so he is on the younger side, but I have started some of the songs and rhymes that I had forgotten about with him. I can't wait until we can start really delving into history and science together. I did feel like the author pushed also getting kids into a preschool program, which I am not sure I totally agree with. I think kids can get social exp ...more
Rakisha
Nov 10, 2008 Rakisha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of preschoolers, homeschoolers, children's librarians, preK teachers and directors
A good read-aloud collection for parents who want to introduce their preschoolers to literature, art, science, and history. It includes such classics as The Three Little Pigs, an introduction to the life cycle of a flower, and cute finger plays & rhymes. Definitely an excellent resource for a preschool teacher/librarian, a parent who needs help giving their child a solid start, and homeschooling parents. There is also a helpful chapter on how to make sure that your child is understanding wha ...more
mindi
some good stories, history and science lessons, but I really don't think that Annabelle knew any of this before starting Kindergarten, and she was definitely one of the more prepared students in her class.

useful and good for the kids, but not (in my opinion) "core knowledge". i would think core knowledge for Kindergarten would be more along the lines of writing names, how to ask for help, colors and abc's and basic communication skills.

this was full of songs and poems and a few stories that I a
Karianne
This series is an excellent resource for parents who are serious about their childerns' education. The authors developed a school curriculum that standardize what children learn in school, starting in pre-school and going through 12th grade. The "what your___-grader need to know" series are a supplement meant to be used by parents at home to make sure their children are getting the "core of knowledge" they need in order to be successful. The books are in read-aloud format, with sections divided ...more
Mary
A friend recommended this series to me. This is the series that charter schools base their curriculum on. The thing impresses me the most with these books is that they don't just focus on reading and math, as most books on education do, but they have sections for history, geography, music, art, and science as well.
My daughter always looks forward to reading out of this book. She especially likes the music, poetry and story sections. I really enjoyed going through the art section with her.
Annie
I'm unimpressed. The guidance for parents that this book gives all seemed fairly obvious to me. The stories are available in more attractive editions elsewhere, and the non-fiction selections are simplified to the point of inaccuracy. The reproductions in the art sections were, in many cases, shamefully bad--fuzzy or pixelated. I like what the book sets out to do, but will try to find another one that does a better job. Fingers crossed.
On one hand it's nice to be told what your child should be learning at their age and to be given the material right there in the book, but it's another thing to feel like that's what your child HAS to learn. I was not impressed by the selection of art given in the book, or by the history or the science. I've moved on to Home Learning Year by Year and feel it will work a lot better for me.
Molly Ricks
It was a fun book. The boys really enjoyed it. We would sit down together and do a little bit of each section every other day. The boys weren't at all bored and like to tell me about historical facts and talk about stories from this book. They were always really excited when I suggested we read this one. I just wish it were a little longer.
Andrienne
I was sorry to return this to the library. Would definitely buy a copy of this book when my daughter gets a little older. It has a lot of information that any parent can follow without having to buy a lot of flash cards or other equipment. If any of you are curious about what your child will learn in preschool, this book offers a good picture.
Megan
An excellent resource on a professional level, brimming with action rhymes and songs that can be used in storytimes and advice that coincides with the ECRR initiatives that I can share with storytime parents. Also would be very practical when actually preparing one's own child to enter preschool.
Jill
Sep 02, 2009 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jill by: Kristi
My kids have loved reading from this book. They've brought it to me and asked for "another story" and "more stories" and so forth. I like reading what others think kids should know by preschool and am often surprised and impressed. This was a good pick. Thanks, Kristi!
Monica
A condensed list of poems, stories, songs, history, science and art lessons to equip your child for preschool. Some common sense suggestions for selecting a preschool environment and a checklist to determine your child's readiness in the back.
Maren
Grace and I enjoyed reading and discussing the little lessons in this book together. We especially liked the history and science sections. Concepts were explained well at a preschooler's level.
Kathleen
I liked how it was informational but set up so you could actually just sit down and read through it with your child. Both girls often brought it over to me and wanted to read a story out of it.
Tricia
vivian really enjoyed this book from poems to history, science to art...but the stories were the best in her little 4 year old mind. fun to read to child and good overview of the "basics".
Heather
Jun 05, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
LOVE all the information, activities, songs, games, etc. in the book! It will truly help me over the next few years to prepare my child for school and teach him everything I can!
My copy is so tattered now that the cover is barely hanging on. The twins want me to read the poems and sing the songs everyday. Isabel and I enjoyed the other sections too.
Afton
This actually had some good stuff in it, particularly a variety of subjects with simplified information and plenty of pictures. I enjoyed reading it to my girls.
Emily
I'm trying to make sure my son has a well rounded education and this book has helped me know what to teach at this age. There are books up through 6th grade.
Jostalady
This is a really quick read, and the kids love it. It is worth keeping around for a while to do the children's sections over again several times.
Jen
I really enjoyed reading through this book with my son. He loved the poems and some of the history stories the best.
Julie
Excellent book to go through with your preschooler. Lots of fun things to talk about.
Melinda
Basic guide to information and topics to explore with kindergarten learners.
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 & 2
  • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
  • In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences
  • Building Moral Intelligence: The Seven Essential Virtues That Teach Kids to Do the Right Thing
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • 100 Best Books for Children
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • How Children Learn
  • The Read-Aloud Handbook
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
Eric Donald Hirsch, Jr. (born March 22, 1928) is an American educator and academic literary critic. Now retired, he was until recently the University Professor of Education and Humanities and the Linden Kent Memorial Professor Emeritus of English at the University of Virginia. He is best known for his writings about cultural literacy.
More about E.D. Hirsch Jr....

Core Knowledge (9 books)
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education
  • What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised
  • What Your Third Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Third-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of A Good Fourth-Grade Education
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Sixth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Books to Build On: A Grade-By-Grade Resource Guide for Parents and Teachers
Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised