Start by marking “Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)” as Want to Read:
Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)

Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney #10)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,250 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
In the midst of a cook-off at a posh spa, southern PI Sarah Booth Delaney gets embroiled in a juicy murder in the latest mystery from Carolyn Haines

For many years Jitty, Dahlia House’s resident ghost, has dreamed that Sarah Booth Delaney would have a child to inherit the family’s ancestral home. Sarah Booth has always had reservations about being a parent. There was her w
Published June 22nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published June 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Appetit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Appetit

Janet
Dec 14, 2011 Janet rated it it was ok
Now I'm sure I've overdosed on Sarah Booth mysteries, because I was rolling my eyes so much I thought they were going to get stuck in the upward position and I'd spend the rest of my life looking at my eyebrows.

The series has gotten more and more preposterous-I'm game to suspend my disbelief to a point, but with these books you have to stretch your disbelief like a rubber band. Eventually it'll snap, and mine did. I can buy that Sarah and Tinkie weren't looking for a case, but one fell in their
Darcy
Jul 16, 2010 Darcy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, mystery, chick-lit
Most of the time when I read these books I love the absurdness, but this time it seemed to cross the line from fun to just plain too much. I find it hard to believe that the whole town would stop what they were doing to find a missing dog off on a romantic romp with another strange dog all the while stealing shoes. I also thought the ending was so over the top I almost threw the book across the room all the while groaning, "You have got to be kidding me!!" and not in a good way.

Sarah Booth just
Sara
Oct 07, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
Wow, this one and the last, Greedy Bones I really enjoyed, a little more than the others. It was really cool for a change to read about places/locations I had actually been to in real life, like the Alluvian Hotel and Viking Range(toured in a Interior Design field trip) and of course the fabulous Ground Zero blues club.
Genevieve Scholl
Jun 03, 2013 Genevieve Scholl rated it really liked it
First of all, don’t you just love the cover? I absolutely love the pink color- as a matter of fact, it was the reason I picked it up at the store in the first place. The little details are what is important about this cover. From the skeleton hand of the waiter, to the fact that the woman lost her flip-flop. Creative and original.
If you follow me on Facebook, you already know that this book was a Dollar Store find. I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Usually, the books at the Dollar S
Jun 18, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
One of my favorite things about this series is the fact that they revolve around places that I know and love. From the Alluvian Hotel and the Viking Cooking School to New Orleans and Memphis and everywhere in between, Carolyn Haines brings the charm of the Mississippi Delta and the surrounding areas to life. It reminds me a lot of Anne George's "Murder" series set in Birmingham. George even did one set in Destin, which was so much fun.

This book was great because, as I mentioned, I knew all of th
Terri Arredondo
Jul 12, 2013 Terri Arredondo rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because of the character Sarah Booth Delaney. Sarah has a detective agency and is trying to recover from a previous case that left her at rock bottom of a depression. I am intrigued with her Southern home, the Dahlia House and the resident ghost, Jitty that becomes her conscious. Her best friend and sleuthing partner, Tinkie decides to get Sarah out of town for a getaway. The getaway turns into a beauty pageant murder mystery. Reluctantly, Sarah gets involved when the number ...more
Patty Allen
Nov 14, 2015 Patty Allen rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this series! I love Sarah Booth and Tinkie and all their adventures. This series is has everything, humor, mystery, romance, and suspense.
Allyson Abu-hajar
Oct 20, 2015 Allyson Abu-hajar rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read! Sarah Booth and her friend, Tinkie are investigators. Unknown to anyone, is Jitty, who once upon a time was Sarah's great, great, grandmother's nanny, haunts Sarah. Sarah has suffered a devastating loss, and at Jitty's urging decides to go on vacation with Tinkie, which included cooking lessons. But, at the vacation destination, there is a pageant going on. Sarah and Tinkie's first introduction to the pageant contestants is at a bar, where center stage Karrie, a contestant, is ga ...more
Lyn
Dec 05, 2012 Lyn rated it liked it
The physical injuries Sara Booth Delaney sustained during her last investigation are healing, but her heart aches from a greater loss. Tinkie signs them both up at a fancy cooking school in Greenwood, Mississippi and drags Sara Booth off for rest and relaxation. Sara Booth's not into cooking but she could use the pampering that goes with the trip.

Their stay is complicated by the beauty pageant being hosted by the cooking school. The hotel is overrun with temperamental contestants. When someone b
Jan
3.5 stars. Sarah Booth is still trying to recover from her last adventure. Tinkie decides that a trip out of town and some cooking classes would be just the thing. And it would be if a there was not a beauty/cooking contest going on and the the contestants would just stop dropping dead.

Still loving Sarah Booth and all her cast, but there was just too much going on in this book. Cooking classes and beauty queens who cook. There is all the stuff with boyfriends and dogs. I think so much of this wa
Tonya
Jun 28, 2011 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Fast paced mystery at its best! I loved how you couldn't guess who it was.. I had no idea!

This is the first book for me in the Sarah Booth Delaney mysteries, won't be the last though. I enjoyed Sarah, her best friend Tinkie, her "ghost" Jitty and all the other appearances. I loved in this one how Jitty would appear as different cooking show hosts -- very cute and different! All the talk of yummy recipes made me super hungry! I wish there was a section of them...

It held my interest until the VER
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sarah Booth Delaney and Tinkie have outdone themselves in this current book written by the estimable Carolyn Haines.

On what is to be a recovery vacation the ladies find themselves immersed within a beauty pagent and of course, murder!

I will not tell you about the plot but the person who did it might just surprise you. The level of the crime, although shielded within the famous Southern manners, will astound you.

This author just continues to improve in each book of her series.

I recommend this bo
Merideth
Nov 12, 2015 Merideth rated it it was ok
This book for me seemed odd. For example it started off with Graf being in Hollywood while Sarah is in Mississippi. What? Sarah just had a traumatic event happen to her that effect both of them but Graf is in LA. I thought that was odd and as the book went on it became more of a problem between them. it sorta got resolved. I have to say there was some details in this book that i thought could have used more explanation but seem to be glossed over in the book the mystery i didn't like at all in t ...more
Feb 06, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I am neutral about this book. I actually liked the change of scenery, but the contestants were annoying and the motive for murder was flimsy at best. I knew the culprit from the very beginning, and kept hoping it would be more complex than being that person. I have had that complaint with other books in this series. But I always love Sarah Booth and Tinkie and their hi-jinks, so I continue in the series.
Erin L
Aug 10, 2011 Erin L rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-southern
When I started reading this series, I thought it was a bit ridiculous. I was convinced to continue past the first book with assurances that it got better.

It did.

I mean, it's still a little ridiculous, as cozies tend to be, but it's also fun except that one scene - it's all fun and games until someone loses a Tinkie!

This book is formulaic and relies heavily on stereotypes (once again, like many cozies), but there's just something about it that works for me.
Tyson Hart
May 20, 2011 Tyson Hart rated it really liked it
What can happen at a cooking competition, apparently a lot of things. This is a great book with well written dynamics between characters. At one point I was yelling at the book (in a good way) becuase of the plot twists. The dynamic lead and supporting characters are great and help to make the Southern roots of the book come alive.
Arlene
Sarah Booth is taking a short vacation with her best friend. They go to a spa which is connected to a cooking school and start relaxing and enjoying themselves. They soon get caught up in a corporate beauty contest and cook-off. When one of the contestants is found murdered they get caught up in the mystery too. Some vacation!
A fun read.
Ruth
Jul 18, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
This is the very first of Carolyn Haines' books that I've read, and it kept my attention throughout the entire book. Ms. Haines makes is so easy to envision what each of her characters look like, sound like, etc. I will definitely be reading the other books in the "Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery" series. Jitty is a HOOT!!
Denise
Jun 23, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment in the Mississippi Delta girls series. I love the way Carolyn Haines keeps you guessing in the stories, and the way she continues to develop and grow her characters. Nothing stale, nothing rote, a good mystery with fun/interesting characters with some really interesting history of the Mississippi Delta region.
Dawnie
May 04, 2010 Dawnie rated it liked it
A nice new story about Sarah Booth and Tinkie. I think what always entertains me about these books is that its set in the south and that the culture seems 40 millions miles away from here. The mystery is light, there is usually some humor and unlike some of the series I read, it actually does seem like Tinkie and Sarah Booth are evolving as characters.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it
Carolyn Haines, A Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery, Bk 10, HB-B, @ 2010, 8/10. Sarah and Tinkie pamper themselves at a post spa and cooking school while a beauty pageant/cook-off is taking place in the same hotel. When contestants start dying, the number one suspect hires them to clear her name, with the help of a resident ghost. Okay.
Melissa
First Sarah Booth Delaney book that I've read. I might have enjoyed it more if I had the background referred to through out the novel. I felt the wrap up was really quick after investing so much energy with the pageant contestants. Fun to read something set in Mississippi. I might try the first one and see what I think.
Wendy Pike
Jun 19, 2011 Wendy Pike rated it really liked it
This series had started to disappoint me when the author introduced the whole "Hollywood" thing, but this one seemed to get back to the series that I loved. I like the friendship of Sarah Booth and Tinkie and I like the fact that this book focused on their investigation again. Now if she can just separate herself from Graf...
Katie
Dec 15, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing
Joanna
Jul 04, 2010 Joanna rated it it was ok
Meh. The central mystery was okay but the "character development" was glacially slow and boring. Also, the ending was sudden and unconvincing. I do love Tinkie and Jitty still, and Oscar has really grown on me. Everyone else was just flat and unamusing.
Janae
Mar 04, 2011 Janae rated it did not like it
I love Chick lit - but this just didn't cut it. I didn't care about the characters. I didn't FEEL anything. I would have quick reading half way through, but I felt obligated to finish so I could post here!
Kathleen
Jan 27, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is the latest in a series of books about a female private investigator who has returned to her ancestral home in the deep South. Although not a book that calls for deep introspection, I enjoyed meeting some of the town's "characters" again, including a "haint" from the Civil War era.
❂ Jennifer
I think I liked this one the least of all the books in the series. The plot was good, but I missed Zinnia and the ending was a bit of a stretch - even for a series with a ghost in it. Still, this series is a favorite and I'm looking forward to future books.
Jul 04, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Another winner for author Carolyn Haines! I am torn between Sarah Booth's love interests-Graf + Coleman, I like them both but prefer Coleman who truly understands the woman-her ancestry and the lay-of-land and how important these are to Sarah Booth. Ah well....
Kitty
Aug 17, 2010 Kitty rated it liked it
A delicious little light mystery involving a beauty contest in the Mississippi Delta. Who wouldn't want to be Miss Viking Range of Greenwood, MS? Two old friends dabble in sleuthing to the concern of their significant others. A good vacation read.
Mrs. Eriksson's S...: Bone Appetit 1 4 Jul 03, 2014 03:12AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Bone Appetit 1 3 Apr 17, 2012 09:26PM
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)
  • Wicked Craving (Savannah Reid Mystery, #15)
  • Aunt Dimity Down Under (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #15)
  • Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)
  • More From the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Blue Shoes and Happiness / The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Stork Raving Mad (Meg Langslow, #12)
  • Holly Blues (China Bayles, #18)
  • Death Tidies Up (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #2)
  • Crawlspace (Home Repair is Homicide, #13)
  • Our Lady of Immaculate Deception (Roxy Abruzzo Mystery, #1)
  • Tricks of the Trade (Paranormal Scene Investigations, #3)
  • The Case Of The Mischievous Doll
  • Dead Man Talking (Pepper Martin, #5)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...

Sarah Booth Delaney (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
  • Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3)
  • Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4)
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)
  • Ham Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #7)
  • Wishbones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #8)
  • Greedy Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #9)
  • Bones of a Feather (Sarah Booth Delaney, #11)