Start by marking “Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)” as Want to Read:
Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)

Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney #10)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  867 ratings  ·  56 reviews
In the midst of a cook-off at a posh spa, southern PI Sarah Booth Delaney gets embroiled in a juicy murder in the latest mystery from Carolyn Haines

For many years Jitty, Dahlia House’s resident ghost, has dreamed that Sarah Booth Delaney would have a child to inherit the family’s ancestral home. Sarah Booth has always had reservations about being a parent. There was her wo
Published June 22nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published June 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Appetit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Appetit

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareSoulless by Gail CarrigerDearly, Departed by Lia HabelSpirit Storm by E.J. Stevens
Over Your Head
79th out of 166 books — 35 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerLowcountry Boil by Susan M. BoyerBrides of the Storm by Amanda Albright StillEchoes of the Storm by Amanda Albright Still
Best Southern Mysteries
59th out of 93 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Darcy
Most of the time when I read these books I love the absurdness, but this time it seemed to cross the line from fun to just plain too much. I find it hard to believe that the whole town would stop what they were doing to find a missing dog off on a romantic romp with another strange dog all the while stealing shoes. I also thought the ending was so over the top I almost threw the book across the room all the while groaning, "You have got to be kidding me!!" and not in a good way.

Sarah Booth just
Janet
Now I'm sure I've overdosed on Sarah Booth mysteries, because I was rolling my eyes so much I thought they were going to get stuck in the upward position and I'd spend the rest of my life looking at my eyebrows.

The series has gotten more and more preposterous-I'm game to suspend my disbelief to a point, but with these books you have to stretch your disbelief like a rubber band. Eventually it'll snap, and mine did. I can buy that Sarah and Tinkie weren't looking for a case, but one fell in their
Sara
Wow, this one and the last, Greedy Bones I really enjoyed, a little more than the others. It was really cool for a change to read about places/locations I had actually been to in real life, like the Alluvian Hotel and Viking Range(toured in a Interior Design field trip) and of course the fabulous Ground Zero blues club.
Lyn
The physical injuries Sara Booth Delaney sustained during her last investigation are healing, but her heart aches from a greater loss. Tinkie signs them both up at a fancy cooking school in Greenwood, Mississippi and drags Sara Booth off for rest and relaxation. Sara Booth's not into cooking but she could use the pampering that goes with the trip.

Their stay is complicated by the beauty pageant being hosted by the cooking school. The hotel is overrun with temperamental contestants. When someone b
Genevieve Scholl
First of all, don’t you just love the cover? I absolutely love the pink color- as a matter of fact, it was the reason I picked it up at the store in the first place. The little details are what is important about this cover. From the skeleton hand of the waiter, to the fact that the woman lost her flip-flop. Creative and original.
If you follow me on Facebook, you already know that this book was a Dollar Store find. I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Usually, the books at the Dollar S
One of my favorite things about this series is the fact that they revolve around places that I know and love. From the Alluvian Hotel and the Viking Cooking School to New Orleans and Memphis and everywhere in between, Carolyn Haines brings the charm of the Mississippi Delta and the surrounding areas to life. It reminds me a lot of Anne George's "Murder" series set in Birmingham. George even did one set in Destin, which was so much fun.

This book was great because, as I mentioned, I knew all of th
Terri Arredondo
I enjoyed this book because of the character Sarah Booth Delaney. Sarah has a detective agency and is trying to recover from a previous case that left her at rock bottom of a depression. I am intrigued with her Southern home, the Dahlia House and the resident ghost, Jitty that becomes her conscious. Her best friend and sleuthing partner, Tinkie decides to get Sarah out of town for a getaway. The getaway turns into a beauty pageant murder mystery. Reluctantly, Sarah gets involved when the number ...more
I am neutral about this book. I actually liked the change of scenery, but the contestants were annoying and the motive for murder was flimsy at best. I knew the culprit from the very beginning, and kept hoping it would be more complex than being that person. I have had that complaint with other books in this series. But I always love Sarah Booth and Tinkie and their hi-jinks, so I continue in the series.
Tonya
Fast paced mystery at its best! I loved how you couldn't guess who it was.. I had no idea!

This is the first book for me in the Sarah Booth Delaney mysteries, won't be the last though. I enjoyed Sarah, her best friend Tinkie, her "ghost" Jitty and all the other appearances. I loved in this one how Jitty would appear as different cooking show hosts -- very cute and different! All the talk of yummy recipes made me super hungry! I wish there was a section of them...

It held my interest until the VER
Jan
3.5 stars. Sarah Booth is still trying to recover from her last adventure. Tinkie decides that a trip out of town and some cooking classes would be just the thing. And it would be if a there was not a beauty/cooking contest going on and the the contestants would just stop dropping dead.

Still loving Sarah Booth and all her cast, but there was just too much going on in this book. Cooking classes and beauty queens who cook. There is all the stuff with boyfriends and dogs. I think so much of this wa
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sarah Booth Delaney and Tinkie have outdone themselves in this current book written by the estimable Carolyn Haines.

On what is to be a recovery vacation the ladies find themselves immersed within a beauty pagent and of course, murder!

I will not tell you about the plot but the person who did it might just surprise you. The level of the crime, although shielded within the famous Southern manners, will astound you.

This author just continues to improve in each book of her series.

I recommend this bo
Demetra Smith
A delightfully twisted mystery set in a Mississippi town at a cooking school.
Dawnie
A nice new story about Sarah Booth and Tinkie. I think what always entertains me about these books is that its set in the south and that the culture seems 40 millions miles away from here. The mystery is light, there is usually some humor and unlike some of the series I read, it actually does seem like Tinkie and Sarah Booth are evolving as characters.
Arlene
Sarah Booth is taking a short vacation with her best friend. They go to a spa which is connected to a cooking school and start relaxing and enjoying themselves. They soon get caught up in a corporate beauty contest and cook-off. When one of the contestants is found murdered they get caught up in the mystery too. Some vacation!
A fun read.
Denise
Another great installment in the Mississippi Delta girls series. I love the way Carolyn Haines keeps you guessing in the stories, and the way she continues to develop and grow her characters. Nothing stale, nothing rote, a good mystery with fun/interesting characters with some really interesting history of the Mississippi Delta region.
Tyson Hart
What can happen at a cooking competition, apparently a lot of things. This is a great book with well written dynamics between characters. At one point I was yelling at the book (in a good way) becuase of the plot twists. The dynamic lead and supporting characters are great and help to make the Southern roots of the book come alive.
Melissa
First Sarah Booth Delaney book that I've read. I might have enjoyed it more if I had the background referred to through out the novel. I felt the wrap up was really quick after investing so much energy with the pageant contestants. Fun to read something set in Mississippi. I might try the first one and see what I think.
Wendy Pike
This series had started to disappoint me when the author introduced the whole "Hollywood" thing, but this one seemed to get back to the series that I loved. I like the friendship of Sarah Booth and Tinkie and I like the fact that this book focused on their investigation again. Now if she can just separate herself from Graf...
Ruth
This is the very first of Carolyn Haines' books that I've read, and it kept my attention throughout the entire book. Ms. Haines makes is so easy to envision what each of her characters look like, sound like, etc. I will definitely be reading the other books in the "Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery" series. Jitty is a HOOT!!
Katie
Kathleen
This is the latest in a series of books about a female private investigator who has returned to her ancestral home in the deep South. Although not a book that calls for deep introspection, I enjoyed meeting some of the town's "characters" again, including a "haint" from the Civil War era.
Anna
Another entry in the Sarah Booth Delaney mystery series, and perhaps one of the best. It had me a little teary eyed with the insights into Sarah Booth's depression after she was hurt so bad in the previous book. We got to see just how strong Sarah Booth is, and Tinkie too.
Another winner for author Carolyn Haines! I am torn between Sarah Booth's love interests-Graf + Coleman, I like them both but prefer Coleman who truly understands the woman-her ancestry and the lay-of-land and how important these are to Sarah Booth. Ah well....
Kitty
A delicious little light mystery involving a beauty contest in the Mississippi Delta. Who wouldn't want to be Miss Viking Range of Greenwood, MS? Two old friends dabble in sleuthing to the concern of their significant others. A good vacation read.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I think I liked this one the least of all the books in the series. The plot was good, but I missed Zinnia and the ending was a bit of a stretch - even for a series with a ghost in it. Still, this series is a favorite and I'm looking forward to future books.
Joanna
Meh. The central mystery was okay but the "character development" was glacially slow and boring. Also, the ending was sudden and unconvincing. I do love Tinkie and Jitty still, and Oscar has really grown on me. Everyone else was just flat and unamusing.
Janae
I love Chick lit - but this just didn't cut it. I didn't care about the characters. I didn't FEEL anything. I would have quick reading half way through, but I felt obligated to finish so I could post here!
Souzen
If you live in the South, you'll recognize Sara Booth Delaney. This series is mystery, light and funny; Sarah Booth grows on you. Carolyn Haines has come up with a winning series of easy reads.
Tina
What an enjoyable story! This was a fun and very clever mystery where the beauty pageant contestants kept getting killed off or injured, one by one. I had to keep reading to find out "who dunnit."
Mary
Funny, funny, funny! As the insert says inside, it is a Stephanie Plum meets Murder She Wrote. This book is part of a series, so I am starting the series from #1. Good author!
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)
  • Wicked Craving (Savannah Reid Mystery, #15)
  • Stork Raving Mad (Meg Langslow, #12)
  • Aunt Dimity Down Under (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #15)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters Mystery, #6)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • More From the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Blue Shoes and Happiness / The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
  • Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)
  • The Case Of The Mischievous Doll
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Murder of a Wedding Belle (A Scumble River Mystery, #12)
  • A Timely Vision (A Missing Pieces Mystery #1)
  • Mind Your Own Beeswax (Queen Bee, #2)
  • Death Tidies Up (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #2)
  • Tricks of the Trade (Paranormal Scene Investigations, #3)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was recently named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...
Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2) Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4) Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3) Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)