Start by marking “Coyote Destiny (Coyote Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Coyote Destiny (Coyote Chronicles, #2)

Coyote Destiny (Coyote Chronicles #2)

"The best space colonization saga to come along in decades" (Rocky Mountain News) continues.

The unexpected arrival of a ship from Earth after their long isolation from their home world leaves the inhabitants of Coyote both hopeful and wary. The lone passenger brings news-both good and bad.

The good news is that there was a survivor of the long-ago explosion of the Rob
Published March 2nd 2010 by Ace Hardcover (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Destiny

Craig
Mar 12, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it
This is the concluding volume of Steele's long-running Coyote series, and it brings the stories of the original and other early colonists to a satisfying conclusion. A lot of the book is set on the Earth, which didn't seem completely appropriate, and I wasn't entirely happy with the eventual fate of all of the characters, but the fact that the reader cares about them so strongly is an endorsement of the quality of Steele's craft. It's an excellent book and a fine story that closes one of the fin ...more
Bookbrow
Mar 20, 2012 Bookbrow rated it liked it
As is often the case, after some great earlier books of this engaging series, this concluding tale wraps the sequence up nicely but is lacking in the invention and freshness of earlier books. That said I thought the book was a good read and it brought a decent sense of closure to the series.
Francis Gahren
Apr 18, 2013 Francis Gahren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Good news / bad news. First the good news: Coyote Destiny, the fifth book in perhaps the best space-colonization series ever (just my opinion; feel free to chime in) and the seventh book in the Coyote universe, is terrific like all the rest. Now the bad news: according to the author, two-time Hugo Award winner Allen Steele, “This is the end of the series, I think. I’m writing one more (episode) in the universe, HEX, and then I’m putting everything on the shelf and going off to tackle another sub ...more
John Loyd
Dec 06, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing
Coyote Horizon by Allen Steele

Coyote Destiny (2010) 331 pages by Allen Steele.

Coyote is a moon around the planet Bear 46 light years from Earth. The original ship that went to Coyote took 230 years to get there. Later ships cut that time closer to fifty and 13 Coyote years (39 Earth years) a star bridge was constructed that cut the travel time to just a couple of weeks. Coyote, Coyote Rising and Coyote Frontier are about the discovery, exploration, colonization and eventual independence. Spindri
Don Viecelli
Dec 26, 2011 Don Viecelli rated it liked it
From My Newsletter Number 18:
I came across Allen Steele who is a two-time Hugo Award winner several years ago and enjoyed his first book in the Coyote Trilogy called Coyote. This novel is about the first starship to leave Earth to colonize a planet they named Coyote, which is located in 47 Ursae Majoris. The colonists escaped from an authoritative government and are starting over on a new world. Live is difficult and Earth rulers are not quite ready to give up control to the rebellious colonists
George
Sep 01, 2010 George rated it really liked it
Another great visit to Coyote! I think I liked this one a little more than Coyote Horizon, but still not as much as the first three. Compared to Coyote Horizon I felt that this one was more adventurous, although less related to Coyote. In Coyote Destiny some of the characters return to Earth (not really a spoiler, you can guess that from the ending of C.H. and find that out early in the book, or even the flap summary), so you get to see what's become of Earth first hand. I found that pretty inte ...more
Steve Walker
Nov 25, 2012 Steve Walker rated it really liked it
Sad to see this series end. Really well developed world with rich characters and problems with moral dilemmas. It's not just fin adventure, but makes you think.

Unlike previous Coyote novels, this book spent half of it's time back on Earth (the earth of the future some 500 years from now). It's interesting to see the vision of what has happened on earth since the first settlers left in 2070 and colonized Coyote.

While this is the last of the series, Steele leaves us with a clear feeling of where
Jeff
Jun 02, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A very fitting ending to the excellent five book Coyote series. I really enjoyed this series and the finale had me staying up late at night because I couldn't put it down. Not quite a 5-star book in my opinion but I'd give it 4.5 if I could. This is one of the best series I've read in a while, the last series I attempted was Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy and it buried me alive and eventually it became hard to read and I bailed. Anyway, Steele's saga maintains interesting plots and characters a ...more
Pedro Marroquín
Mar 11, 2015 Pedro Marroquín rated it liked it
Mucho más light de lo que se merecía esta serie, con múltiples finales a la historia que empezó hace siete libros. La verdad es que aparte de enseñarte como mueren los ancianos que empezaron la serie siendo niños recién llegados a explorar el nuevo planeta (luna) y de resolver la explosión que acabó con el stargate del libro anterior (con un paseo por la Tierra mucho más desolador de lo que se merecía la serie) poco se puede hablar del argumento, porque casi no lo hay. Y como la prosa es bastant ...more
John (JP) Parsons
Nov 28, 2011 John (JP) Parsons rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is another adventure in the Coyote universe. Like his other books in the Coyote series, Steele relates the same story from multiple dairy entries of the characters. This story completes the arch's started in Coyote Horizon and Coyote Frontier. You need some familarity with the other books to fully appericate stories told, yet Steele supplies sufficent background information so the causual reader can follow and enjoy the story.
Matthew
Sep 02, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
"Get ready to jump to lightspeed through the Stargate!" I thought it was awesome!!!!! There was a lot of fighting and shooting. The down side to it was that it bounced back and forth between two stories. It kept me guessing between the two stories. If you want to know what the end of the world might be like, you would want to read this book. It would also be a good book if you like Science Fiction.
James
Jul 06, 2011 James rated it liked it
A good read in Steele's Coyote universe. Interesting characters and setting and satisfying resolution to Earth's troubles.

I admit I would have liked to see the story of the chaaz'maha's efforts on Earth told firsthand, instead of learning it secondhand, but perhaps that's material for another book.
Chip
Nov 30, 2014 Chip rated it really liked it
The conclusion of the main Coyote universe books. Nice action - both on and off the planet, characters are well developed and identifiable. Satisfying end of the story and people. Fills in many of the subplots mentioned in the other books. If you like the other Coyote book, you'll probably like this one as well.
Jeremy
Nov 04, 2012 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked "Coyote Horizon", but this follow-up was a big disappointment. The entire plot of the book turned out to be one big contrivance, the kind of thing that has been a minor problem throughout all the "Coyote" books but which really ruined this one for me. I just don't believe that people are capable of planning that much stuff out in advance without stuff going wrong.
Todd
Aug 20, 2010 Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Not my favorite of the series. This felt like 2 novellas that were oddly combined. I liked one of the stories more than the other. If you've read the entire Coyote series, you'll enjoy these. I highly recommend the first 3. This whole series examines what happens when we finally colonize a new planet (or a moon in the case of this book), and does an excellent job of it.
Gordon Robinson
Feb 06, 2016 Gordon Robinson rated it liked it
Allen Steele's writing style sometimes sees his stories getting lost in the detail without progressing the plot. I am charmed by how believable this near future world is even if the stories telling somhow dampens the natural excitment of the plot.
Max
Nov 02, 2012 Max added it
Really great, but I don't like how the CFSS Robert E Lee was destroyed, but then again, not all things can be good... I also liked how the book is told with two stories going on at once, and how they finally get back to earth.
Jeanne
Mar 27, 2016 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Exciting and satisfying...the page turning series is now complete and I know I'll find myself thinking about the whole things for months. Bravo, Allen Steele!
Randy Pursley
May 19, 2014 Randy Pursley rated it liked it
I liked this book. It wrapped up some story lines from the other books and ended a generation of characters from the first couple books.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Jul 01, 2010 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it liked it
This is suppose to be the last book in the Coyote series. While the story was good I was disappointed in the ending.
MB (What she read)
My favorite part about the Coyote series was always the fauna and exploration of the planet. There was never enough of that for me.
Andrew
May 08, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it
Good writing but a little anti-climactic and perfunctory in wrapping up some of the story threads.

First book in this two book series was much better IMO. A little more philosophy and exploration.
Patrick OConnor
Sep 13, 2010 Patrick OConnor rated it it was amazing
The last book in the Coyote series, by Allen Steele--maybe... Put this series in with the Dragonriders of Pern and Asimov's Foundation Series, IMHO.

Patrick
Michael Davis
May 20, 2011 Michael Davis rated it liked it
Not as good as the others in the Coyote saga, but parts were very enjoyable. May not be as quick to go back to that universe. . .
Hamish Buchan
Feb 23, 2012 Hamish Buchan rated it liked it
Ok book. Definitely weaker than the early ones.
Roger
Mar 05, 2016 Roger rated it liked it
good end to series, about 3.8 rating
Michael Mattson
Michael Mattson rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2012
  • Firebird (Alex Benedict, #6)
  • The Council of Shadows (Shadowspawn, #2)
  • Mars Life (The Grand Tour, #17)
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions
  • Messiah (Apotheosis, #3)
  • Topgun Days: Dogfighting, Cheating Death, and Hollywood Glory as One of America's Best Fighter Jocks
  • Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion, #2)
  • A Tapestry of Dreams (Tales of Jernaeve, #1)
  • Novels & Stories 1950-62: Player Piano/The Sirens of Titan/Mother Night/Stories
  • Time's Last Gift
  • Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)
  • The Scroll
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • The Diviner
  • Rolling Thunder (Thunder and Lightning, #3)
Before becoming a science fiction writer, Allen Steele was a journalist for newspapers and magazines in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Missouri, and his home state of Tennessee. But science fiction was his first love, so he eventually ditched journalism and began producing that which had made him decide to become a writer in the first place.

Since then, Steele has published eighteen novels and nearl
More about Allen Steele...

Coyote Chronicles (2 books)
  • Coyote Horizon (Coyote Chronicles, #1)