Start by marking “One Long Argument” as Want to Read:
One Long Argument

One Long Argument

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Charles Darwin and the Genesis of Modern Evolutionary Thought
Published March 15th 1993 by Harvard University Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about One Long Argument, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Long Argument

Jason Gordon
Very good look at the history and development of biology over the last 150 years within the Darwinian paradigm. Some people on here have complained that there was not much detail when it came to explaining some of the theories. I have to disagree as this book clarified a lot for me and filled in some loose ends -- I have in mind the section on mosaic evolution. This is the third book I've read from Mayr and it this book that is his most clear writing. I'd say drop Dawkins in the rubbish bin.
Mary
Interesting look at Darwin's theories within the intellectual context of the past 150 years. Mayr doesn't go into a lot of detail about the theories or the data supporting them, however he does break the theories down into components that can be looked at against prevailing thinking in the scientific and philosophical communities. This leads to some interesting insights. For example, it had never occurred to me that scientists of Darwin's time accepted evolution and common descent but not natura ...more
Lauren
Very informational, contributing greatly to my understanding, not only of Darwin's theories but the circumstances of the times in which he wrote and what scientists have made of them since. I have actually read this through once, and am now half-way through a second read with extensive note-taking.
Dennis Ross
I am looking for a book about Darwin for my book club. Feb 12th, tomorrow is the 200th anniversary of his birth. This book by the recently deceased Dean of American biology is good, but dry and technical. I will search further for my club
Zrinka
Leads you through the relevant ideas and movements in the development of the modern evolutionary theory, putting much emphasis on Darwin and the impacts of "darwinism", with its different meanings and connotations. Mayr is a good storyteller.
Tori
Of all the books about Darwin and evolutionary theory, this one is the most understandable for students. Mayr presents the history of Darwin's idea along with the modern synthesis in a straightforward manner.
jenifer
Revealed just how flawed the popular conception (and my understanding) of Darwin's ideas is. Also really useful for understanding some of the ways in which anti-Darwin camps come up with their arguments.
John
Perhaps I need to give this one another chance. Mayr's writing style turned me off almost immediately when I picked this one up despite my having a great fascination for the subject.
Bernie_dunham
Aug 24, 2009 Bernie_dunham rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My daughters, son-in-laws, and wife.
Published in 1991. Ernst Mayr remains one of my favorite science authors.
Shahid Khon
Shahid Khon marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2015
Woody
Woody marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jennings Peeler
Jennings Peeler marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Rad
Rad marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ladyotori
Ladyotori marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Thiago B-b
Thiago B-b marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Arucos
Arucos marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Dmitri
Dmitri is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2014
David
David is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Lovely Taguines
Lovely Taguines marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
19162
Ernst Walter Mayr (July 5, 1904 – February 3, 2005) was one of the 20th century's leading evolutionary biologists. He was also a renowned taxonomist, tropical explorer, ornithologist, and historian of science. His work contributed to the conceptual revolution that led to the modern evolutionary synthesis of Mendelian genetics, systematics, and Darwinian evolution, and to the development of the bio ...more
More about Ernst W. Mayr...
What Evolution Is This is Biology: The Science of the Living World The Growth of Biological Thought: Diversity, Evolution and Inheritance What Makes Biology Unique?: Considerations on the Autonomy of a Scientific Discipline The Birds of Northern Melanesia: Speciation, Ecology & Biogeography