Start by marking “The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1)

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  77,229 ratings  ·  5,769 reviews
Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soiless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten co...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Kings, please sign up.

Kelsey Just keep your head down and keep reading! Trust me I was feeling like I was in a daze for a couple hundred pages until the characters really started…moreJust keep your head down and keep reading! Trust me I was feeling like I was in a daze for a couple hundred pages until the characters really started to take shape. The magic system is pretty amazing in itself. (less)
Dan I'm a native English speaker with a decent vocabulary and I still found myself going to the dictionary a few times. Seems like Sanderson tried to…moreI'm a native English speaker with a decent vocabulary and I still found myself going to the dictionary a few times. Seems like Sanderson tried to force in big words just to make some characters seem smarter at times.(less)
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
8th out of 2,229 books — 15,267 voters
Mistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
4th out of 1,421 books — 4,822 voters

More lists with this book...

Anila

I'm running out of superlatives.

Seriously, after praising The Well of Ascension as a reader's dream book, I was worried. What would I say if The Hero of Ages was better? Even finding the perfect GIF for that book didn't solve the problem - because soon enough, there'll be The Alloy of Law, and I still haven't read Elantris.

And then this book came along.

Now, I'll admit that I took my sweet time. About six months, off and on, actually. For a lot of that, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Ther...more
Patrick
I got to read an ARC of the book and I really enjoyed it. Sanderson really knows how tell a story and create an interesting world....
Felicia
WOW. Ok, so I actually cried during this book (it was a stressful day, but I'm usually not a weeper). This book captures the epic grandiosity and scope that I remember as a kid reading Eddings and Feist and Jordan. I didn't know what was going on all the time, but I was keenly aware of the great plot, the secrets, and the depth of world building and character in this book.
Yes, it's REALLY long, and yes, it lags a bit from time to time under all the philosophy, but honestly I was just staggered b...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
May 30, 2012 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: epic fantasy fans
Recommended to Carol. [All cynic, all the time] by: virtually everybody
Shelves: epic-fantasy
A three and a half star read.

"What?" Sanderson's fans say, "this is a classic!"
"What?" people who read my reviews say, "you gave the same rating to that mess of a zombie book!"

Let me 'splain.
No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Ignore comments about the length. I've read books that were as long (hello, The Stand, Unabridged), and everyone has read series that were over a thousand pages. What troubles me about The Way of Kings is that I felt like I was reading the fantasy equivalent of a walk thr...more
Becky
This book. Wow.

I kinda don't even know what to write about this book. The scope of it, the detail, everything is just so... epic. And then I think about the fact that there are a proposed nine more books, and I just...

Photobucket
The EPICNESS.

As I was reading this, I admit to being unable to see how this story, already ginormous all on its lonesome, could expand to a whopping 10 book series and do it well. Keep the pacing, the excitement, the world, the magic system, the awesomenes all consistent.

Oh me...more
Evan Leach
When I was a kid, I was never able to get the best of those damned Magic Eye paintings. I would stare and stare until my eyes watered, but to no avail.

description

All I see is an OK fantasy novel.

Well, looking at The Way of Kings and its glittering, 4.58 rating is bringing back some painful childhood memories that I’ve tried really hard to repress. Because like those stupid paintings, I just can’t see what all the fuss is about. To be clear, I didn’t hate this book: I thought it was sort of O.K. But this i...more
Jorge Desormeaux
I began reading this book with a frown. The Prelude lasts barely more than 3 pages, and it assaulted me with 'Desolations', 'Dustbringers', 'Shardblades', 'Oathpact' and 'Radiants', all of them thrown about without care or explanation. The first chapter is no better: more meaningless words strewn carelessly. Worse, the opening sccene is a first-person narrative of a white-clad assassin who engages in a dizzying (confusing) set of gravity-manipulating acrobatics (which involve more arbitrary name...more
David Sven
I loved this book. I loved the world building, the magic system that imitates science with its rules and limitations and internal logic, and the various creatures and cultures and religions. Everything I loved about the Mistborn trilogy and more are in this book.

Map of Roshar - I like to call it Sandersonland

After listening to and loving the Mistborn Trilogy I thought I would try a couple of Sanderson’s stand-alone novels ie Elantris and Warbreaker before getting stuck into a ten book series wit...more
Rabindranauth
What do you say about a book when you enter it with extremely high expectations, and those expectations are surpassed? Because that’s the only way to explain what’s happened with me and The Way of Kings. It is the first book in the projected 10 book Stormlight Archive, which Brandon Sanderson intends to be his masterwork. I gotta say, I don’t see anything in The Way of Kings to persuade me otherwise.

Roshar is a world unlike any you’ve ever seen before. A barren landscape constantly subjected to...more
Rob
Executive Summary: I loved this book. It's not perfect, but it instantly was added to my favorites shelf.

Will you love it too? Well that depends on what you're looking for. I've seen some people call that slow, but not me. I think book sets up what could become my new favorite series depending on what Mr. Sanderson does in the books that follow this one.

Full Review
I first heard of Mr. Sanderson, like many I suspect, when he was announced as the one chosen to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of T...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a thousand page tome that is supposedly the first in a ten book series...which presupposes that I'm looking forward to at least 10,000 pages of the story. I'm sorry the story just isn't that good.

I note that most of the ratings on this book are 4s and 5s...and 1s. There seems to be little middle ground. So, I'll go to the middle a bit. I neither hate nor love this book and I'll say now I have no intention of following the series...Of course it could be that I'll be hard pressed to live t...more
GHOULIO™
starts fast, gets slow, and then goes absolutely apeshit. loved this, at the time.

...and then i noticed all the dafuqery in the sequel.

Seak (Bryce L.)
This is an older review with a couple additions I hadn't realized I didn't put up here. Also found here: http://seaks.blogspot.com/2010/08/rev...

As one of the biggest releases of the year in one of the only genre's that count, The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive Book 1) comes out tomorrow (in the US) and the word that normally comes to many people's minds is... hype. Does it live up to the hype? Well, let's see...

King Gavilar has been killed by an assassin in white and Alethkar's forces have be...more
Gary
This book was an excellent read. The author builds a complex world with well developed characters, and moves the plot back and forth from character group to character group (even different time periods with the same characters), yet manages to not allow the overall story to dissolve. This has been a common tendency in fantasy literature, and often I lose interest in one group of characters or the other as I wait patiently for the plot to return to the group that has my attention. Not so in this...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sep 19, 2014 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of A Song of Ice and Fire, Red Rising and The King Killer Chronicles
Recommended to Robin by: Gavin
THE WAY OF KINGS IS FREE ON iBooks

For all my friends I haven't converted to Brandon Sanderson Fans yet or anyone else who still doesn't have this book it is free on ibooks as a promotion and Kindle. U.S. only.

4.5 Stars

I liked this book but I loved the last 20%. The world is immense and in the beginning I was wondering if there would be a character that I even liked enough to root for. They don’t start out perfect, st...more
Tim
Jan 12, 2013 Tim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This book was just ok/pretty meh. To be honest, I was disappointed, and can think of more things to criticize than praise, but I was still technically entertained, especially towards the end. I really wasn't all that amazed/impressed by anything though.

Things I liked:

- Not a Tolkien rip-off. I appreciate how Sanderson was trying to depart from the typical fantasy world, plot and characters, although I don't think all of his departures necessarily worked...

- Last 100 pgs were exciting/interesting...more
Marianne Wonnacott
I just re-read this book (April 2014)in preparation for Words Of Radiance. I loved it even more the second time! I am so glad I re-read it because I had remembered the basic story line and of course the main characters, but I had forgotten a lot (there is so much in there). I am excited to read Words of Radiance!

Original review:

I am pretty stingy with my star ratings. I would honestly give this book 4.5 stars only because it took me 150 pages just to get into the book....not that it was slow -...more
Jareed
Sep 21, 2014 Jareed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who live and die for Fantasy
I'm living under a rock these days. The rock of my legal studies. The Library is after me to return this book. In the earnest desire to evade a pissed librarian, I have desperately tried to erase my virtual footprint only to be disappointed in finding that I could not totally go off-grid without deleting my Goodreads account. I hope they don't find me through this. Changing to a private setting should at least be enough. I've taken to not going home to my provincial address in fear of a flurry o...more
Faye, la Patata
Dear mother of all things holy...

I THINK I JUST FOUND MY FAVORITEST FAVORITEST FAVORITEST BOOK OF ALL TIME

This... was a sight to behold, to read, and to consume. The last few weeks reading this are easily the best weeks of my reading life. I... I can't deal. The world is grand, the characters are so flawed and yet so relatable and so different from one another it's amazing how Sanderson can truly write such phenomenal individuals, the history is so well thought-out, and the plot is just sublime....more
Jesslyn
(EDIT 3-14-2013) This book is $2.99 in the major ebook stores for a limited time. Go get yours!

EDIT: After my re-read, once again I am blown away with how good this book was. I don't know if I will read again right before the next one comes out, but it is so good, I'm sure I will enjoy it just as much the 3rd time around.

---------------------------
This is classic epic fantasy at its best. As always, Mr. Sanderson does a great job with character and story development, and of course gives you a we...more
Athena (Shardbearer)
Buddy Read with Armina, Robin, Gavin, Desinka

STORMFATHER! This book was amazing. All the stars.

This review may be spoilerish?!

It has been a few years since I have read a high fantasy/epic fantasy such as this one. I just recently finished The Name of the Wind and that one is high fantasy, but it does not compare to The Way of Kings.

I love books that are about war, swords and fighting just do something for me. I love books that go into detail of war, and strategy and the ins and out of how a war...more
Mpauli
If I could only use one word to describe the Way of Kings, it would most likely be potential. That might seem surprising, but stick with me to see that it might not be as bad as it seems.

Brandon Sanderson has some trademarks throughout all of the works I read of him so far, which include Elantris, Steelheart and the first Mistborn novel.
He always has innovative magic systems, a very straight forward (dare I say sometimes simplistic) way of writing, charcters with super-heroic fighting abilities...more
Sally Howes
"The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think but to give you questions to think upon." In this seemingly innocuous sentence in THE WAY OF KINGS, Brandon Sanderson captures what he does so brilliantly in all of his books, but particularly in this first book of the Stormlight Archive. Having read his Mistborn trilogy recently, I came to realize as I read THE WAY OF KINGS that there are certain questions that seem to be of most interest to Sanderson, as they are to me, and should b...more
Alex Ristea
Wow.

Never have I been so utterly absorbed in a novel, and that's saying something considering I'm currently backpacking, and have spent much of my time reading on beaches and in parks.

Everything is perfect—the world-building, the characters, the magic, the action, the mystery. Even though this book is already a doorstopper, I wished it was longer.

Most novels you read are entertaining, and some are touching, but none will make you want to live and breath in the story as The Way of Kings does.

Now,...more
Brian Delambre
Aug 17, 2010 Brian Delambre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
After finishing the Way of Kings, I tried to remember a fantasy book that I had enjoyed as much! I know it is not my favorite Fantasy book ever. I have been reading Fantasy for 30 years, and it's can't be my favorite, right? I just can't think of any Fantasy book that I have liked better at the moment.

Way of Kings is a amazing weave of story lines, each one so good that you don't want to go to the next one.

Enjoy, but read it fast. Brandon is the one author out there, that you might not be able...more
Dawn
March 2014: Two years later and I just finished my re-read. Not to imply I've been reading it for two years... That's like 3 pages a day. I couldn't take it! Anyway.. This is still a 5 star book for me. In fact, it's now going on my favorites list. I still think it's completely epic and awesome. I'm really glad I re-read it... I had forgotten basically everything from my first read. And bonus.. Book two released today. So now I get to hop straight into that! *sigh* ... Life is good :)

July 2012:...more
Marcus
Wow. Brandon Sanderson is incredibly creative. The world he builds in The Way of Kings is phenomenal. This is the first book I've read by him and if it's any indication of his work, he has a fabulous talent for creating conflict in imaginary worlds. I love how he gradually weaves his characters and plots together in ways that raise interesting moral and philosophical issues but still move the story along in intricate and unexpected directions. In that way, The Way of Kings is excellent.

My only q...more
Penny
Sep 24, 2012 Penny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Penny by: Great reivews on goodreads
I bow down and worship at the altar of awesome that is Brandon Sanderson! In my top-five-books-read-in-2012 list, the first four are all written by Brandon Sanderson.

I hardly know how to start this review without just gushing, so I'll start with some of the basics: Brilliant world-building; deep, complex, real and interesting characters; new and exciting magic system; beautifully interwoven plots; unpredictable twists; amazing writing.

The major themes of faith, loyalty, love, family, persevera...more
Nermin
Aug 14, 2013 Nermin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brandon Sanderson fans
Shelves: fantasy, series
Decided to knock a star off my initial rating because I think it's simply too flawed to deserve 5 stars.

* * *

I liked it but didn't love it and I must say it's definitely not my favorite Brandon Sanderson novel so far. Still it is pretty grand especially in scope. There are a number of factors that prevented me from loving this book the most important of which is probably characterization. I coundn't connect with any of the characters except Dalinar. I know Kaladin is fan's favorite but I think...more
Roshar looks like a storm 5 75 Oct 19, 2014 04:16PM
BookClubFiction: Free Kindle book - The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson 3 21 Sep 20, 2014 08:36AM
/r/Fantasy Discus...: The Way of Kings - Final Discussion (with Spoilers) 17 129 Sep 16, 2014 12:31AM
BattleGeekz Book ...: Anyone read this book? 1 6 Sep 09, 2014 12:51PM
Should I read this? 20 249 Aug 19, 2014 11:52AM
Dragons & Jet...: The Way of Kings / Overall Discussion / **Spoilers ** 12 54 Aug 17, 2014 05:43PM
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
  • Red Country
  • Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
The newest Cosmere story, “Sixth of the Dusk,” is available now in Shadows Beneath: The Writing Excuses Anthology .

Brandon Sanderson was born in 1975 in Lincoln, Nebraska. As a child Brandon enjoyed reading, but he lost interest in the types of titles often suggested to him, and by junior high he never cracked a book if he could help it. This changed when an eighth grade teacher gave him Dragonsb...more
More about Brandon Sanderson...
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1) The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)

“The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” 475 likes
“Life before Death.