Start by marking “The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1)

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  87,627 ratings  ·  6,336 reviews
Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soiless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten co
Published August 31st 2010 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Kings, please sign up.

Kelsey Just keep your head down and keep reading! Trust me I was feeling like I was in a daze for a couple hundred pages until the characters really started…moreJust keep your head down and keep reading! Trust me I was feeling like I was in a daze for a couple hundred pages until the characters really started to take shape. The magic system is pretty amazing in itself. (less)
Andrea Sorry ... this was a personal message ... not a question :/ ... but this morning looks like I did not take enough coffee ...
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
7th out of 2,304 books — 15,944 voters
Mistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
4th out of 1,475 books — 5,103 voters

More lists with this book...

Anila

I'm running out of superlatives.

Seriously, after praising The Well of Ascension as a reader's dream book, I was worried. What would I say if The Hero of Ages was better? Even finding the perfect GIF for that book didn't solve the problem - because soon enough, there'll be The Alloy of Law, and I still haven't read Elantris.

And then this book came along.

Now, I'll admit that I took my sweet time. About six months, off and on, actually. For a lot of that, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Ther
Patrick
I got to read an ARC of the book and I really enjoyed it. Sanderson really knows how tell a story and create an interesting world....
Felicia
WOW. Ok, so I actually cried during this book (it was a stressful day, but I'm usually not a weeper). This book captures the epic grandiosity and scope that I remember as a kid reading Eddings and Feist and Jordan. I didn't know what was going on all the time, but I was keenly aware of the great plot, the secrets, and the depth of world building and character in this book.
Yes, it's REALLY long, and yes, it lags a bit from time to time under all the philosophy, but honestly I was just staggered b
Carol.
Nov 22, 2014 Carol. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: epic fantasy fans
Recommended to Carol. by: virtually everybody
Shelves: epic-fantasy
A three and a half star read.

"What?" Sanderson's fans say, "this is a classic!"
"What?" people who read my reviews say, "you gave the same rating to that mess of a zombie book!"

Let me 'splain.
No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Ignore comments about the length. I've read books that were as long (hello, The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition), and everyone has read series that were over a thousand pages. What troubles me about The Way of Kings is that I felt like I was reading the fantasy equi
Becky
This book. Wow.

I kinda don't even know what to write about this book. The scope of it, the detail, everything is just so... epic. And then I think about the fact that there are a proposed nine more books, and I just...

Photobucket
The EPICNESS.

As I was reading this, I admit to being unable to see how this story, already ginormous all on its lonesome, could expand to a whopping 10 book series and do it well. Keep the pacing, the excitement, the world, the magic system, the awesomenes all consistent.

Oh me
Evan Leach
When I was a kid, I was never able to get the best of those damned Magic Eye paintings. I would stare and stare until my eyes watered, but to no avail.

description

All I see is an OK fantasy novel.

Well, looking at The Way of Kings and its glittering, 4.58 rating is bringing back some painful childhood memories that I’ve tried really hard to repress. Because like those stupid paintings, I just can’t see what all the fuss is about. To be clear, I didn’t hate this book: I thought it was sort of O.K. But this i
Jorge Desormeaux
I began reading this book with a frown. The Prelude lasts barely more than 3 pages, and it assaulted me with 'Desolations', 'Dustbringers', 'Shardblades', 'Oathpact' and 'Radiants', all of them thrown about without care or explanation. The first chapter is no better: more meaningless words strewn carelessly. Worse, the opening sccene is a first-person narrative of a white-clad assassin who engages in a dizzying (confusing) set of gravity-manipulating acrobatics (which involve more arbitrary name ...more
Rabindranauth
In 2 days it'll be 11 months since I first read The Way of Kings.

I'm long overdue for a re-read.
David Sven
I loved this book. I loved the world building, the magic system that imitates science with its rules and limitations and internal logic, and the various creatures and cultures and religions. Everything I loved about the Mistborn trilogy and more are in this book.

Map of Roshar - I like to call it Sandersonland

After listening to and loving the Mistborn Trilogy I thought I would try a couple of Sanderson’s stand-alone novels ie Elantris and Warbreaker before getting stuck into a ten book series wit
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jan 08, 2015 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of A Song of Ice and Fire, Red Rising and The King Killer Chronicles
Recommended to Robin by: Gavin
BUDDY READ/REREAD!!! April 2015, because we can.

Since a few new people have been infected with the Sandersonitis bug (we are not a cult oOSarahOo :P) and I can’t wait until 2016 for a reread of the series it must be done and a buddy read is in order.
Athena (Shardbearer), oOSarahOo, Eon, Danae, Eilonwy, Carole, Tanya, Sandra, Asya, Tamara, Liz, Dany, Katie.g, Nathan and maybe Dan 2.0 and Kat Stark

Let me know if you want to join in on all the fun!!! We will be meeting here

Fantasy Buddy Reads,
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a thousand page tome that is supposedly the first in a ten book series...which presupposes that I'm looking forward to at least 10,000 pages of the story. I'm sorry the story just isn't that good.

I note that most of the ratings on this book are 4s and 5s...and 1s. There seems to be little middle ground. So, I'll go to the middle a bit. I neither hate nor love this book and I'll say now I have no intention of following the series...Of course it could be that I'll be hard pressed to live t
Rob
Executive Summary: I loved this book. It's not perfect, but it instantly was added to my favorites shelf.

Will you love it too? Well that depends on what you're looking for. I've seen some people call that slow, but not me. I think book sets up what could become my new favorite series depending on what Mr. Sanderson does in the books that follow this one.

Full Review
I first heard of Mr. Sanderson, like many I suspect, when he was announced as the one chosen to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of T
Jeff
If there is one thing I have come to appreciate from Brandon Sanderson, it is his ability to give up little bits of info as you go. He continuously keeps you guessing. My sweet Jesus this book is awesome. He has built such an expansive world and the character development is amazing. I mean really did I expect otherwise? This guy is a genius plain and simple.
Athena (Shardbearer)
Buddy Read April 2015

Buddy Read with Armina, Robin, Gavin, Desinka

STORMFATHER! This book was amazing. All the stars.

This review may be spoilerish?!

It has been a few years since I have read a high fantasy/epic fantasy such as this one. I just recently finished The Name of the Wind and that one is high fantasy, but it does not compare to The Way of Kings.

I love books that are about war, swords and fighting just do something for me. I love books that go into detail of war, and strategy and the ins
julio
starts fast, gets slow, and then goes absolutely apeshit. loved this, at the time.

...and then i noticed all the dafuqery in the sequel.

Tim
Jan 12, 2013 Tim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This book was just ok/pretty meh. To be honest, I was disappointed, and can think of more things to criticize than praise, but I was still technically entertained, especially towards the end. I really wasn't all that amazed/impressed by anything though.

Things I liked:

- Not a Tolkien rip-off. I appreciate how Sanderson was trying to depart from the typical fantasy world, plot and characters, although I don't think all of his departures necessarily worked...

- Last 100 pgs were exciting/interesting
Faye, la Patata
Dear mother of all things holy...

I THINK I JUST FOUND MY FAVORITEST FAVORITEST FAVORITEST BOOK OF ALL TIME

This... was a sight to behold, to read, and to consume. The last few weeks reading this are easily the best weeks of my reading life. I... I can't deal. The world is grand, the characters are so flawed and yet so relatable and so different from one another it's amazing how Sanderson can truly write such phenomenal individuals, the history is so well thought-out, and the plot is just sublime.
seak
This is an older review with a couple additions I hadn't realized I didn't put up here. Also found here: http://seaks.blogspot.com/2010/08/rev...

As one of the biggest releases of the year in one of the only genre's that count, The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive Book 1) comes out tomorrow (in the US) and the word that normally comes to many people's minds is... hype. Does it live up to the hype? Well, let's see...

King Gavilar has been killed by an assassin in white and Alethkar's forces have be
Jareed
Sep 21, 2014 Jareed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who live and die for Fantasy
I'm living under a rock these days. The rock of my legal studies. The Library is after me to return this book. In the earnest desire to evade a pissed librarian, I have desperately tried to erase my virtual footprint only to be disappointed in finding that I could not totally go off-grid without deleting my Goodreads account. I hope they don't find me through this. Changing to a private setting should at least be enough. I've taken to not going home to my provincial address in fear of a flurry o ...more
Gary
This book was an excellent read. The author builds a complex world with well developed characters, and moves the plot back and forth from character group to character group (even different time periods with the same characters), yet manages to not allow the overall story to dissolve. This has been a common tendency in fantasy literature, and often I lose interest in one group of characters or the other as I wait patiently for the plot to return to the group that has my attention. Not so in this ...more
Marianne Wonnacott
I just re-read this book (April 2014)in preparation for Words Of Radiance. I loved it even more the second time! I am so glad I re-read it because I had remembered the basic story line and of course the main characters, but I had forgotten a lot (there is so much in there). I am excited to read Words of Radiance!

Original review:

I am pretty stingy with my star ratings. I would honestly give this book 4.5 stars only because it took me 150 pages just to get into the book....not that it was slow -
Alex Ristea
Wow.

Never have I been so utterly absorbed in a novel, and that's saying something considering I'm currently backpacking, and have spent much of my time reading on beaches and in parks.

Everything is perfect—the world-building, the characters, the magic, the action, the mystery. Even though this book is already a doorstopper, I wished it was longer.

Most novels you read are entertaining, and some are touching, but none will make you want to live and breath in the story as The Way of Kings does.

Now,
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
I'll write a full review once I've composed myself...right now, just thinking about this book leaves me stammering in awe!

For now, I'll just say that this book is over 1,200 pages long, and not a single one of them was wasted!

This was one of the most wonderful books I've ever read! I'm so glad I got to buddy-read this one with Branwen, who is one of the most wonderful friends I've ever had!

emma
Markus
Jan 18, 2015 Markus marked it as to-read
Shelves: series-to-start
Group read with Fantasy Buddy Reads - set to start on April 1!

If anyone would like to join us, let me or Athena know!
Jesslyn
(EDIT 3-14-2013) This book is $2.99 in the major ebook stores for a limited time. Go get yours!

EDIT: After my re-read, once again I am blown away with how good this book was. I don't know if I will read again right before the next one comes out, but it is so good, I'm sure I will enjoy it just as much the 3rd time around.

---------------------------
This is classic epic fantasy at its best. As always, Mr. Sanderson does a great job with character and story development, and of course gives you a we
Allison
Days after finishing The Way of Kings, I still wasn't sure how to rate it or review it, but now I finally have a few thoughts put together. So here goes.

The fact that I didn't put the book down and instantly proclaim my awe gave me pause. Usually I rate a book 5 stars when it grabs me and doesn't let go, when I lose sleep over it, or when it moves into the realm of irrational emotion that overshadows all flaws. I didn't have this feeling about The Way of Kings. However, it lingered with me for s
Sally Howes
"The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think but to give you questions to think upon." In this seemingly innocuous sentence in THE WAY OF KINGS, Brandon Sanderson captures what he does so brilliantly in all of his books, but particularly in this first book of the Stormlight Archive. Having read his Mistborn trilogy recently, I came to realize as I read THE WAY OF KINGS that there are certain questions that seem to be of most interest to Sanderson, as they are to me, and should b ...more
Mpauli
If I could only use one word to describe the Way of Kings, it would most likely be potential. That might seem surprising, but stick with me to see that it might not be as bad as it seems.

Brandon Sanderson has some trademarks throughout all of the works I read of him so far, which include Elantris, Steelheart and the first Mistborn novel.
He always has innovative magic systems, a very straight forward (dare I say sometimes simplistic) way of writing, charcters with super-heroic fighting abilities
Monica
This is one of my favorite books of all time! The world Sanderson creates in this novel is incredibly unique, and it is a very hard novel to put down. Don't be put off by the book's length, as it is one of those books that you never want to end. Yes, this book lives up to the hype! I can't wait to dive into my new copy of Words of Radiance now!
Is this book good? 39 290 3 hours, 41 min ago
would i like this book if i didn't care for wheel of time 17 183 16 hours, 42 min ago
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Among Thieves (Tales of the Kin, #1)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin, #1)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law #3)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Legio
More about Brandon Sanderson...

The Stormlight Archive (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Skybreaker (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #5)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #6)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #8)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #9)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #10)
  • The Way of Kings, Part 1 (The Stormlight Archive #1, Part 1 of 2)
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1) The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)

“The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” 539 likes
“Life before Death.