Start by marking “Whole” as Want to Read:
Whole

Whole

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"A young man wanting to be whole; a young woman certain she can never be. A uniquely conflicted love- suspenseful, provocative and deeply moving."
-Shelley Berman Elizabeth Foster is a young woman with a promising future. She has a perfect family in a nice neighborhood and she is getting ready to graduate from high school and begin her life. The only problem is a dark secr
Published April 1st 2009 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about Whole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whole

Christy Stewart
In my quest to read and judge every book with disabled characters I came across Ruth Madison's (W)hole. I didn't read the reviews or description, wanting nothing to influence my opinion of the book but I expected the usual (although the usual means all 3 other romance novels featuring disabled characters); a watered down experience of disability and then critical acclaim of how "brave" the author is for writing such a book. This was not the case.

The leading man is paraplegic from a sporting acci
Michelle R.
(Review originally published at Red Adept Reviews.)

I purchased (W)hole, by Ruth Madison, after seeing a discussion about disabled heroes on an Amazon discussion board.

Overall: 2 stars

Plot/Storyline: 3 stars

I knew going in, based on the description, that the heroine is what is called a "devotee," meaning she has a specific attraction to men who are wheelchair bound or physically impaired in some way. While I don't share this particular fascination, I don't think I need to share it in order to e
Rebecca
The book is very interesting. I took a human sexuality class in college, and one of the things we studied was devoteeism (the sexual attraction to those who are considered to be disabled). Having a background on the subject I think allowed me to approach the book in a different way. Had I not already known about the term I may have had trouble with the subject matter.

What I liked about the book was that despite it being about devoteeism, Elizabeth fits with any person who has something they con
Melissa
(4.5 STARS)

This was a great story I got as a freebie through Amazon for my Kindle. It's about Elizabeth a senior in high school who hides a very deep secret. I love how she overcame her secret and found love with Stewart...who I absolutely loved!! I didn't know what to expect with this and was pleasantly surprised. I learned a lot reading this book too...I had no idea there was something out there that this young girl was suffering with...totally blew my mind. I look forward to reading more from
Talltree
Bit weirded out tbh. I felt the same way after reading my first bdsm romance. But enjoyed the book too.
The h has a condition or fetish that I've only recently heard of and pursues the H who has lost the use of his legs. I like that she was the pursuer, that she went after what she wanted, even though she seemed the shy type but also that she wasn't the stalkerific type and left him alone when he broke it off.
H was an ex playboy surfer who is now a college student while h is in the last year of
Amy
I just couldn't stomach the lead's compulsion. Fetishising a disability is disturbing. If it so happened that she was attracted to Stewart (who I did really like) and happened to have a fetish for it, it might have been better. Instead she just seemed like a creeper looking to get her rocks off. Yes, I know that they fall in love, but I couldn't finish the book. It was very uncomfortable.
Beverly Diehl
Elizabeth is a devotee, a person who is sexually attracted to people with disabilities.

Disclaimer: I've "met" the author online, and have interviewed her for my blog.

This is her debut novel, and it shows. There's too much telling rather than showing, the dialogue is often stilted or cliche, and my version had enough typos and formatting errors to distract me from reading.

It's also hard to decide where to shelve this. Elizabeth, the character, is 18; the language used is very young, BUT the scene
Chloe
This was a well-written book about a girl with a wheelchair 'fetish.' She doesn't see it as a fetish, but has always found wheelchairs attractive and sexy, the same way one might be really attracted to redheads or something.
What I really liked about the book was the more realistic aspect of it -- the girl is at first too ashamed to tell anyone about her wheelchair thing, when her friends and family find out she's dating a guy in a chair, they kind of flip out on her, and when her wheelchair-bou
Katie
This book is a classic. It's perfectly describes what women go through who have an unusual attraction. There are moments of awkwardness in this story, but every bit of it felt very real to me. It was incredibly well-written, and I felt a deep empathy with the main character. ...more
Nozinabook
This book is basically about an eighteen year old trying to hide the fact she is a devotee of disabled males and how she comes to terms with all this means to her, her family, friends and disabled boyfriend. This journey takes the reader through elizabeth's romance with Stewart, an ex surfer who has made his peace with his disability and is going on with his life, on his terms. He is a great character, very strong and appealing.

I found the ending very fustrating as it left me with too many quest
Sara
This is an interesting take on a romance, chronicling the "fetish" of the main character - she only is sexually attracted to men with physical (visually perceived) disabilities. She meets Stewart at a wedding, and is instantly capitivated by his wheelchair. As time progresses, she falls for Stewart as a person and feels guilt for her "sickness" - how will she ever admit her attraction to disabilities without losing him when she can barely admit it herself? How will she "come out of the closet" t ...more
Chie Alemán
Review is for the second edition.

Ruth Madison has returned to her debut novel, making some tweaks and filling out the story so that we now get alternate chapters between the two main characters. Although the pacing is off at times, it makes for a stronger, more cohesive piece than the original. The subject matter: a young woman dealing with her attraction to disability, gives a different perspective, and the characters are intriguing and sympathetic. This unique coming-of-age story is a worthwhi
Erin
I was intrigued by the concept of this book, and I probably wouldn't have picked it if it weren't free. But, I read it, and I like Ruth Madison's style.
You can't be too freaked out by the whole fetish thing if you read the book description first. I think I was more surprised at how much I enjoyed the book. It shocked me, saddened me, made me angry, and filled me with joy. I love books that can do all of those!
I forgot to mention, I stayed up until well past 3am to finish this book, knowing I ha
Cheryl
This was an interesting story. About a girl who is turned on my mens disabilities and a guy who was a champion surfer who now had 2 paralyzed legs. They both have to come to turns with there "disability". I enjoyed it because it was different than any other romance story I have read. It also gives a view point from the disabled person. I think there is a sequel and i would like to find it and read the "rest of the story".
Rebecca
Not the best written book in terms of the prose, but interesting characters. Kindle formatting is terrible.

The prose is a little under-developed, and I kind of felt in general like I was wanting more: more detail (i.e., when Elizabeth is working in her dark room) and more from the characters.

Still offers an interesting perspective you don't normally see, and the characters feel genuine.
Amy
Jan 08, 2012 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
A slightly different kind of love story. Boy meets girl. Girl falls in love with boy. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy is paraplegic, and girl has a fetish, so to speak, for physically disabled men. So much so, she's not even attracted to able-bodied men.

It was an interesting read. I'm interested reading the sequel, but it will not be immediately...
Laura Jeanne
This book was about a girl who has a "handicap fetish" and the paraplegic she's dating. While the book wasn't extremely well written and the characters aren't deeply developed, it's a book that stayed with me after I finished it. It was a bit disturbing but can't exactly figure out why. If any of my friends would read it, I'd love to discuss it. (It's free on kindle)
SaraJane
I read this book and make it through the story, but I did not like it. I had issue with the main character (a 17 year old) pursuing her fetish and moving through the relationship in a manner that feels very rushed. Many elements of the story just did not sit well with me.
Diamond (kindle lover)
This story is unlike anything I ever read. I got this book because I accidently purchased it not knowing it was gonna download right away so I decide to read it still all in two day. I cant wait to read the sequel.
Lyne
I didn't mind the disabled main character, but I really disliked the girl. Who in their right mind writes a book that encourages 17 year old girls to pursue their sexual fetishes...just weird.
Tara
For a short story it was ok. Glad it was a freebie.. will I read the next book, sure just because I dont like things to be left open..
Alana
I had no idea people were attracted to people with disabilities like that! It was an interesting read, for sure.
Tonya
Very different love story but I really enjoyed it, finished in one day.
Lisa
This was one weird ass book. Just goes to show that I will read anything......
Kelley Crabtree
Kelley Crabtree marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Tessa
Tessa added it
Aug 13, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Charlotte Fry
Charlotte Fry marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Writers and Readers : Ruth Madison, disability and romance 1 12 Jul 17, 2011 05:45AM
  • Falling in Love with Crazy
  • Diary of a Teenage Taxidermist
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
  • No Place For Us
  • Wheels of Steel, Book 1
  • The Mormon and the Dom
  • Accessible Love Stories
  • Precious Things
  • Seductive Powers (The Capes, #1)
  • Shell Shocked
  • Wheels
  • Powerless Against You
  • A Man Like Mac
  • The Write Man for Her
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Found (Penny Black #1)
  • Lord Carew's Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #4)
  • Return Of The Runaway Bride
3201716
There isn’t enough fiction out there with characters who have disabilities. Ruth Madison aims to fix that.

After years of combing through the dusty back shelves of libraries looking for her elusive, imperfect hero, she started writing her own.

Ruth’s romantic tales are full of wounded heroes: men physically challenged by life, but not defeated. These men overcome the difficulties of amputation, para
More about Ruth Madison...
Stewart's Story Breath(e) Dev Dreams, Volume One Coworker Crush The Billionaire's Secretary

“I think life is just a process of settling for less and pretending you never wanted more." - Elizabeth” 13 likes
“She closed her eyes and enjoyed the feel of the air on her face, cooling the flush on her skin. She loved the sense fall gave that things were changing, but in predictable ways.” 0 likes