Start by marking “Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)

Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy #3)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Philip of Spain, unwilling bridegroom of Queen Mary, has been warned that her half-sister, the young Elizabeth, daughter of Anne Boleyn, was a heretic, a rebel and a potential enemy with ‘a spirit full of enchantment’. Running the gauntlet between Bloody Mary’s jealousy and morbid outbursts of hate, and Philip’s uneasy ardour, the young Elizabeth warily advances towards he

Hardcover, Large Print, 469 pages
Published March 28th 1974 by Ulverscroft Large Print (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain

Marie Z. Johansen
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Originally published in 1953 this was the last book in Margaret Irwin's "Young Bess" series. Because it was written in an earlier era the book is not a racy bodice ripper - something that I appreciate. It's not that I'm a prude - but I do get a tad tired of the "sex sells" philosophy- especially in relation to good historical fiction writing.

This book revolves around Philip of Spain's relationship with Elizabeth. The staunch Catholic, philanderer (depending on yo
Jules
This was an enjoyable conclusion to the three part trilogy by famed author Margaret Irwin. The book can be read as a stand alone, but I am looking forward to reading the first two in the series: Young Bess: The Girl Who Would Be Queen and Elizabeth, Captive Princess: Two Sisters, One Throne.

These books were originally published in the 40s and 50s. Sourcebooks is continuing their grand tradition of reintroducing fantastic books to readers of today. The books come across a bit more reserved than m
Patty
This was such an unusual point of view for an Elizabethan novel. It is the third in Ms. Irwin's series on the young Elizabeth. I read the first one, Young Bess and liked it but didn't love it. I did not have the opportunity to read the second. This one I found fascinating. I must admit to not knowing all that much about Philip of Spain and this book opened my eyes a bit to a man who was an important figure in Tudor times. Ms. Irwin's book postulates that Elizabeth may not have survived Mary's re ...more
Tracy
I enjoyed the entire trilogy very much. As a history major I have read about and studied Tudor England ad nauseam, however, these books gave a fresh perspective albeit a fictional one. But then, since history is based on the perspectives and observations of biased and subjective human beings I guess in a way history itself is just another form of fiction... Anyway, I waited to review the books until after I had read all three. Although the books are well written and could be read independently o ...more
April
ELIZABETH AND THE PRINCE OF SPAIN by Margaret Irwin is a historical fiction set in 1541 England.It is the final book in the Elizabeth I trilogy.See Young Bess and Elizabeth,Captive Princess.This is an intriguing story of Elizabeth,King Henry VIII's,daughter,the beheading of Anne Boleyn,and Phillip, the Prince of Spain.It has treachery,betrayal,sibling rivalry,tragedy,truimphs,the battle between King Henry VIII's daughters,danger to one sister through another sister's rule and jealousy.This is a ...more
Shannon
Apr 21, 2011 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: Vera
Shelves: reviewed, history
As a major student of the Tudor dynasty, I was really looking forward to this book. Sadly, I was disappointed; as was likely the case in reality, the vibrant Elizabeth cast everything else around her -- including the plot -- into shadow. I didn't love it, but I will probably read it again *after* reading the first two books in the trilogy. After thinking about it, I went with three stars.

Truncated review available at Luxury Reading: http://luxuryreading.com/elizabethand...
Expanded review availab
Martha
Elizabeth finally becomes queen in the 3rd and final book in the trilogy. I read all 3 from the book shelf of the condo we rented in Ft. Pierce, FL. Pattie and I were able to discuss the interesting parts as we went since she read all three books before me. The question remains... did Elizabeth remain a virgin. The book never answers that but both Pattie and I doubt it.
4.5/5

An excellent conclusion to the Elizabeth I trilogy. My full review may be read on my book review blog Rundpinne.

Kiran
I was really disappointed by how boring this book was! What a surprise considering how exciting that period and the plots were. Perhaps it's a symptom of the age when this book was written, as it is quite old now. I won't be reading any other books by this author now!
Adrian
I think if this series had been written today, it would have been one epic novel. I'm so glad it wasn't. And I liked the ambiguous ending- it made it apparent that history continues, without a lot of foreshadowing. Nice.
Robin
Really enjoyed this part of the trilogy. It focused alot on Philip and his relationship with Elizabeth. It is something that is mostly breezed over in other novels about Elizabeth.
PK Reeves
Philip at the hands of the Tudor sisters Mary and Elizabeth. Read Aisle B's review http://aisleb.tumblr.com/post/4285276...
Éowyn
The ending was certainly a bit strange - this is the third of a three part series but the way the book ended it felt like there should have been another one to follow!
Sheryll Putnam
Painful. Dry. ICK.
Muriel
Muriel marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Jay Anderson
Jay Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Sherry Lopez
Sherry Lopez marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Nancyxu
Nancyxu marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Beth Bradley
Beth Bradley marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • The Tudor Throne
  • Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)
  • House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty
  • Legacy
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • A Brief History Of The Tudor Age
  • The Wild Irish
  • Rivals in the Tudor Court
  • The House of Tudor
  • The Queen's Rival (In the Court of Henry VIII, #3)
  • The First Elizabeth
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • By Royal Decree (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #3)
  • The Boleyns: The Rise & Fall of a Tudor Family
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
  • In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII
  • In a Treacherous Court (Susanna Horenbout and John Parker, #1)
Born in 1899 and educated at Oxford, Irwin was recognized as a novelist of well-researched and occasionally heart-breaking historical fiction. She is best known for her trilogy about Elizabeth I: Young Bess, Elizabeth Captive Princess, and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain. Young Bess was made into a movie starring Jean Simmons.

Irwin also wrote passionately about the English Civil War, causing gen
More about Margaret Irwin...

Elizabeth Trilogy (3 books)
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1) Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2) Royal Flush Still She Wished for Company The Gay Galliard: The Great Love of Mary Queen of Scots