The Man Who Stopped Time: The Illuminating Story of Eadweard Muybridge: Father of the Motion Picture, Pioneer of Photography, and Murderer

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The photographs of Eadweard Muybridge are immediately familiar to us. Less familiar is the dramatic personal story of this seminal and wonderfully eccentric Victorian pioneer, now brought to life for the first time in this engaging and thoroughly entertaining biography.
His work is iconic: the first icons of the modern visual age. Men, women, boxers, wrestlers, racehorses,...more
Published March 28th 2007 by Joseph Henry Press

Eugene Miya
This is a biography which starts in the middle of Muybridge's life (like Tarantino shot Pulp Fiction), during his dramatic murder of his wife's lover. I'm not certain that this is the best way to write a biography but am open to this format.

I own copies of two prior Muybridge biographies: Robert Bartlett Haas's Muybridge: Man in Motion (which I really like) and Rebecca Solnit's River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West and attend one of her author events. Personally, I...more
Jamey
Apr 11, 2012 Jamey marked it as to-read
I'm pretty sure this one of my favorite book titles EVER! Mostly because the first time I checked this out I didn't even notice until I actually had it in my hand.
Jack Metier
In this book, Muybridge ceases to exist as the answer to a trivia question and becomes a full-fledged human being.
Anna Dykema
Anna Dykema marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Evelyn Nicole Ruvalcaba
Evelyn Nicole Ruvalcaba marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kristie Corcoran
Kristie Corcoran marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Zarked
Zarked marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Nada Amer
Nada Amer marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Sara Kilany
Sara Kilany marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Catherine Cui
Catherine Cui marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Abhijeet
Abhijeet marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Sudha Sharma
Sudha Sharma marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Sena Demir
Sena Demir marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Kevin
Kevin added it
Dec 21, 2012
sakura
sakura is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2012
Mary-Beth
Mary-Beth marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2012
Travis Ammons
Travis Ammons marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2012
Jamie
Jamie added it
Jun 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Brian Clegg has a degree in natural sciences from Cambridge and a masters in Operational Research. He spent seventeen years with British Airways, where he formed a new department tasked with developing hi-tech solutions for the airline, and now speaks throughout the world on business and science-related topics.

He is the author of several popular science titles, including Inflight Science, The God...more
More about Brian Clegg...
A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable Inflight Science: A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain