Start by marking “The Man Who Stopped Time: The Illuminating Story of Eadweard Muybridge: Father of the Motion Picture, Pioneer of Photography, and Murderer” as Want to Read:

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
The photographs of Eadweard Muybridge are immediately familiar to us. Less familiar is the dramatic personal story of this seminal and wonderfully eccentric Victorian pioneer, now brought to life for the first time in this engaging and thoroughly entertaining biography. His work is iconic: the first icons of the modern visual age. Men, women, boxers, wrestlers, racehorses, ...more
Published February 26th 2007 by Joseph Henry Press

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Stopped Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Stopped Time

Eugene Miya
This is a biography which starts in the middle of Muybridge's life (like Tarantino shot Pulp Fiction), during his dramatic murder of his wife's lover. I'm not certain that this is the best way to write a biography but am open to this format.

I own copies of two prior Muybridge biographies: Robert Bartlett Haas's Muybridge: Man in Motion (which I really like) and Rebecca Solnit's River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West and attend one of her author events. Personally, I
Jamey
Apr 11, 2012 Jamey marked it as to-read
I'm pretty sure this one of my favorite book titles EVER! Mostly because the first time I checked this out I didn't even notice until I actually had it in my hand.
Jack Metier
Aug 28, 2015 Jack Metier rated it really liked it
In this book, Muybridge ceases to exist as the answer to a trivia question and becomes a full-fledged human being.
Arielle
Arielle rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Sooz888
Sooz888 marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Verity Bracken
Verity Bracken marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Frezer Tadesse
Frezer Tadesse marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Jon Bauer
Jon Bauer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Lilmissmatilda
Lilmissmatilda marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
jaq
jaq marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Doug Sparks
Doug Sparks rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Fullquieting
Fullquieting rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Anna Dykema
Anna Dykema marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
May 09, 2014
Evelyn Nicole Ruvalcaba
Evelyn Nicole Ruvalcaba marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kristie Corcoran
Kristie Corcoran marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Zarked
Zarked marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Charlotte Whittle
Charlotte Whittle rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Brian's latest books, Ten Billion Tomorrows and How Many Moons does the Earth Have are now available to pre-order. He has written a range of other science titles, including the bestselling Inflight Science, The God Effect, Before the Big Bang, A Brief History of Infinity, Build Your Own Time Machine and Dice World.

Along with appearances at the Royal Institution in London he has spoken at venues fr
More about Brian Clegg...