Start by marking “The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart: Poems

The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart: Poems

This breathtaking collection of poems by Deborah Digges, published posthumously, brings us rich stories of family life, nature’s bounty, love, and loss—the overflowing of a heart burdened by grief and moved by beauty.

When Deborah Digges died in the spring of 2009, at the age of fifty-nine, she left this gathering of poems that returns to and expands the creative terrain w
Published May 11th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart

Diann Blakely
The poetry world reeled out of its accustomed orbit when the news traveled that Deborah Digges had committed suicide at the age of 59. Fewer poets have, throughout their careers, been seemingly more life-affirming. We’re lucky to have been left, as part of Digges’ legacy, THE WIND BLOWS THROUGH THE DOORS OF MY HEART, a final collection of her work. In beautiful and multilayered poems such as “The Birthing,” we experience, through the poet’s words, not only a calf ’s fraught entrance into the wor ...more
Patty
Apr 30, 2013 Patty rated it really liked it
On the last day of April, poetry month, I finished a book of poems. This was not for lack of trying. I have been reading Wisława Szymborska's book View With a Grain of Sand for awhile now. For whatever reason, I haven't managed to finish that book, so I picked up Digges' last volume and read it over the last two days.

I feel like I am lying when I say I have finished this book today. I am not sure I will ever feel like I have completed my reading of these poems. Like all good poetry, they need to
May 04, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A short but spectactular book. It contains a number of poems I wish I had written myself. The poems are a swirl of landscape and nature imagery, mythology, dreams, and human relationships. The book was published after the author's death, so it is interesting to imagine what poems might have been tweaked or contructed from drafts, and how some of the poems might have changed if the author had seen the book to its final version. The language is beautiful and enthralling, and the fact that we might ...more
Dsg
Mar 03, 2010 Dsg rated it it was amazing
I plan to read this as soon as I can get my poetry-lust fingers on it. Oh, how I'd love to break into the publisher's office!

These poems were Deborah Digges's legacy to her readers. She reportedly took her own life in April 2009. Life made her get off the bus. But we can still get on hers, because she left these poems, and we can remember her name through her songs.
Mary
Jan 30, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Powerfully beautiful book with an otherworldly feel. I loved all the poems but my instant favorite was "green".

Susan
Sep 25, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
This is an amazing book that requires more than one reading. The language is gorgeous!
Steven Farmer
Aug 24, 2010 Steven Farmer rated it it was amazing
Presumably the last title from Deborah Sugarbaker Digges. I recommend.
S.
Mar 19, 2016 S. rated it liked it
I was drawn to this book by the evocative title, and from hearing that it was preoccupied with death, specifically the deaths of Digges’s brother and her husband, and the foreshadowing her own death by suicide. The book was published posthumously.

There were some very strong poems in the book that touched me. The last poem, “Write a Book a Year,” was one of them. It begins:

Well the wild ride into the earth was thrilling,
really, scared as I was and torn and sore.
I say what other woman could have
Yana Lyandres
Apr 16, 2014 Yana Lyandres rated it liked it
I started to really appreciate some of the poems after a few reads. "Dance of the Seven Veils" and the title poem are my favorites. Others, however, I found to be intentionally difficult to grasp. I enjoy reading and re-reading poetry to better understand meaning and the richness of language, but also find it frustrating when the poet chooses to transfer all of the hard work of poetry to the reader to figure out. All in all, this was kind of a frustrating experience, but it was a nice mental cha ...more
Nan
Feb 01, 2014 Nan rated it liked it
Fortunately or unfortunately, I approach all posthumous collections with some skepticism. I shouldn't. There are many fine poems in this book. The title poem is haunting as are "the house that goes dancing", "the coat", and "the birthing". Many poems, though, seem obscure, unfinished. I can't seem to follow them to places they want to take me. Digges's suicide was a tragedy. This collection fails us slightly because she could not have a hand in its completion.
Apr 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed most of the poems in here - "the house that goes dancing" and "the coat" were probably my favorites - but I'm not always one for the more abstract ones (I think some poets, not necessarily Digges, create the most absurd metaphors possibly hoping readers will be naive or dumb enough to think they're superb. In this book "eating the dragon's heart" approached that level to me). Still, her conversational tone was appealing.
Patrick Mcgee
Jan 19, 2013 Patrick Mcgee rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these poems. However, I could tell that some were probably a bit unfinished, or, at least, not completely revised due to the author's death before the collection was completed. All in all, most of the poems were quite powerful and striking, if not just a tad sullen and on the dark side. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Recommended.
Gerry LaFemina
Aug 17, 2013 Gerry LaFemina rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Always been a fan of Digges's work, and news of her suicide several years back was a blow--so I was happy to come upon this posthumous collection of new poems: a strong collection that plays with syntax and image, line and rhythm in ways that remind me why I liked her early work so much.
Louise Chambers
Louise Chambers rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2010
Cinda
Cinda rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Cathryn Dutton
Cathryn Dutton rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Deborah San Gabriel
Deborah San Gabriel rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Allie
Allie rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
May 10, 2015
Miriam Polli
Miriam Polli rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Karen Chinetti
Karen Chinetti rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Kim Bolton
Kim Bolton rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Robert Jonte
Robert Jonte rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Cat Lilly
Cat Lilly rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Libby
Libby rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2011
tahirra1
tahirra1 rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Poetry Readers Ch...: The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart 5 9 Mar 20, 2016 03:05AM
  • Migration: New and Selected Poems