Start by marking “Himmel voll Blut (Alex McKnight, #5)” as Want to Read:
Himmel voll Blut (Alex McKnight, #5)

Himmel voll Blut (Alex McKnight #5)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,536 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
When a fire is done, what's left is only half-destroyed. It is charred and brittle. It is obscene. There is nothing so ugly in all the world as what a fire leaves behind, covered in ashes and smoke and a smell you?ll think about every day for the rest of your life. Reluctant investigator Alex McKnight finds himself drawn by friendship into a long drive north. The brother o ...more
Published 2003 by DuMont

To ask other readers questions about Himmel voll Blut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Himmel voll Blut

Matt Allen
Feb 14, 2014 Matt Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Steve Hamilton writes clean, full-blooded stories. It's impressive how he packs so much of an experience into relatively few words.

I admit it had been a bit since I'd read the last Alex McKnight and I'd forgotten how much I like Hamilton's style. Light prose that packs a great punch. Blood is the Sky is more of the same. I mean this is only a good way--I don't know if I've read a book of this length (barely over three hundred pages for the mass market paperback) that left me feeling as if I'd b
Anita
Apr 04, 2009 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
I picked up this paperback and was pleasantly surprised. "An Alex McKnight novel" Vinnie is searching for a brother who went to Canada as a guide for 'businessmen from Detroit'. I loved the combination of hard-core city cop and reservation culture. Good stuff.
Cindy
Jan 27, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several reasons why I like Steve Hamilton's books: 1) Set in the UP in places that I have visited. 2) Simple dialogue and description...one needs a break from James Lee Burke occasionally! 3) Interesting plots and lots of action 4) I just like the way Alex McKnight thinks and talks. Quick, easy, satisfying read. And contrary to what others may say, the books don't have to be read in order. There is enough background to explain who the recurring characters are.
Gloria Feit
Jul 11, 2014 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What are friends for? Well, Alex McKnight demonstrates just that in this novel which takes him and his erstwhile friend, Vinnie Le Blanc, on a stormy adventure way up in the wilds of northern Canada. It starts when Vinnie, with whom Alex has been at odds since an event in the previous novel in the series, asks Alex to help him find his brother, who is days overdue returning home after accompanying a hunting party as their scout at a Canadian lodge.

To complicate matters, Vinnie’s brother Tom is o
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
This is the 5th book in the Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton and if you are new to the series, consider yourself lucky (but start at the beginning, with A Cold Day In Paradise). This one picks up shortly after North of Nowher as Alex is rebuilding his cabin. His friend Vinnie asks Alex to travel to Canada with him to help find his brother, who has not returned from a hunting expedition.

It's a thrilling read, one of those books that keeps your up late, turning the pages. The first two third
Jerry
Aug 25, 2011 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my third novel by Steve Hamilton, and the second in the Alex McKnight series. Steve Hamilton is a great writer, I really enjoy his style. This one is set deep in the Canadian wilderness, with a focus on the relationship between Alex and his good friend and neighbor Vinnie. They take a break from rebuilding Alex's cabin to go find out what has happened to Vinnie's brother, who has gone missing up in the Canadian wilderness. A convicted felon on parole, Vinnie's brother Tom has assumed Vi ...more
Harry Roger Williams III
Another gripping adventure. Another chance for series hero Alex McKnight to test the limits of human recuperation and recovery.
This is a hero who suffers without the assurance of survival. He tells you how badly he is hurt, but never says "It's not supposed to be this way."
Bill Belichick says "It is what it is." Alex McKnight says "Pain is not as important as justice." Justice for him is not revenge but rather setting things right when possible, especially when it comes to his friends.
We should
Lynette Barfield
Nov 20, 2011 Lynette Barfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Light entertaining action. Not as good as some of his others but still Very readable. Good friends, good food and a certain amount of humor as well as interesting locations help to keep up the suspense and action. I like his writing style a lot.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
It's been too long since I've read a Steve Hamilton book. Alex McKnight is an appealing character, and the plot in this mystery is intriguing. I've read the first in this series and at least one other. I'll have to determine which, and then find some more to tackle.
Chris
Nov 29, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best in this series so far. No need to have read the previous ones; stands on its own. A thriller/ mystery with red herrings galore. The Native American lore is fascinating.
Ron
Mar 24, 2017 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex McKnight is hilarious. This is the forth novel I’ve read and he seems to get the sh*t beat out of him in every one. I get the feeling he is a case of an unmedicated bipolar guy.
Dave
Mar 09, 2017 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying reading this series. Fans of Robert Parker would enjoy this author.
Maddy
Jun 03, 2010 Maddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tops, 2003-reads
RATING: 4.75

At various times in their relationship, Alex McKnight and his best friend, Vinnie Red Sky LeBlanc, an Ojibwa Indian who lives in a nearby cabin rather than on the reservation, find themselves at odds with one another. They always manage to set aside their differences, even though there are sometimes some major issues between them. The relationship between Alex and Vinnie is beautifully drawn. They are definitely brothers in spirit, if not in blood, and come through for each other tim
Randy Daugherty
Aug 04, 2013 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood is the Sky by Steve Hamilton- Tom Leblanc a young man out on parole trying to get his life back in order.Life and money is hard to come by on the Rez unless you work the casinos but Tom cannot obtain work there as he is a felon.Vinnie Leblanc, Tom's brother who himself has tried to get his life in order. Vinnie deals blackjack at the local casino but is the blacksheep of the family. Vinnie lives off the Rez though at times you would never know it.Vinnie has an offer to guide a hunting part ...more
Michael T Bradley
Oct 28, 2015 Michael T Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamilton is finally back in form here after a couple of wincingly convoluted storylines in the previous two books. This time out, yes, it's a bit of a stretch, the whole situation, but it doesn't feel TOO unbelievable, and it's involving his sometimes-friend Vinnie again, which was a nice touch. I also really liked the fact that Alex essentially doesn't know what's going on until AFTER the climax of the book. Fun to see him having to trust & jump blindly into situations, rather than forcing ...more
Ed
Aug 30, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#5 in the Alex McKnight series. "Finalist 2004 Shamus Award for Best Novel; Finalist 2004 Anthony Award for Best Mystery"

Alex McKnight series - A former Detroit cop sidelined by a bullet, Alex is living quietly in Michigan's remote Upper Peninsula when he agrees to help an Ojibway friend, Vinnie Red Sky LeBlanc. Vinnie's searching for his black sheep brother, Tom, who hasn't returned from a job guiding a hunting party of wealthy Detroit men in the Canadian wilderness. The staff of an isolated lo
Brian Clapper
Jun 07, 2013 Brian Clapper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in ...more
Rogue Reader
Jul 22, 2012 Rogue Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love every single one of Steve Hamilton's Alex McKnight mysteries set in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In this 2003 work, Alex begins to rebuilt his father's cabin, and Vinnie LeBlanc joins in to help with the heavy lifting. More from Vinnie's reservation, about his Ojibwa family and heritage, great background with healing sweats.

Time and distance are collapsed, as Alex thinks nothing of driving 4-10 hours at a stretch, no matter the weather.

Blood is the Sky reaches so far out in the remote C
Kim
Nov 02, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved it! S Hamilton is getting better with each book. I am not big on coincidences but I can live with the one in this book, wish Hamilton made it a set up instead of a coincidence (without giving anything away, I will leave it vague.) And quite honestly, Hamilton makes the reader think that you can't go into a bar in the Upper Peninsula without running into jackasses and getting beat up, but I know better. Even with these 2 annoying things, I love his books. I read this in one night because I ...more
Judith
Apr 18, 2014 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few mysteries set in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where I grew up. I didn't realize that when I bought it.

Alex McKnight is prevailed upon to find a friend's missing brother, who had taken a group of Detroit businessmen on a hunting trip in the wilds of Canada. The more Alex and his friend, Vinnie LeBlanc, look into this the stranger and more dangerous it appears. Alex and Vinnie find themselves far from any help and sitting ducks as targets.

Complicated, absorbing. And with the bi
William Stinson
Nov 18, 2015 William Stinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The twists and turns of author Hamiltons style kept me immersed in the story. Set in northern Ontario; places I have visited, was pictured in my memory as I read the mystery. Alex and Vinnie find themselves caught in the middle of a provincial police investigation, finding themselves retuning to the scene each time they are to return home. As the characters develop it is hard to put the book down in order to find what happened to Vinnie's brother Tom as they search for him after disappearing in ...more
Dee
Jul 17, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Another story about the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. Steve Hamilton, though currently from New York, is a Michigan product. This story is the best Alex McKnight I've read. The mystery travels from the U.P. to Canada searching for the missing hunters from Detroit and Vinnie LeBlanc's brother. It gives you a feel for the isolation for much of the North American continent. Hamilton's knowledge and resources for American Indian lore is also revealed in his stories, especially this one. Similar to Wi ...more
Reed
Much better than the last few, but I realize what bugs me: his writing is superb and compelling, and the middle of his books just soar -- but the denouements are really lacking. Sorely lacking. Always too many threads hanging and not enough catharsis. And the titles just don't work. But I'll keep reading.
Lani
Feb 13, 2014 Lani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read and finished a book a day from this series for the past week, and this is his best work yet. Not only is it a crime thriller, it's also a story about friendship, family, and the past. It tells the story in a way that makes everyone so real that it's hard to put the book down. Highly recommended. In fact, if you haven't read any other Steve Hamilton books, you can start with this one. Each book is stand-alone and can be read out of order if really necessary.
Johnnie Gee
Alex McKnight becomes involved with helping Vinnie an Ojibwa Indian, to find his brother who disappeared while being a guide for a group of men from Detroit.

Not sure I even like Vinnie who is very strange but as I said in another review there is only one fo Alex's friends that I like and who adds to the stories.

The store itself is interesting while not being the of the better books in the series.

Doug
Jul 18, 2016 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex McKnight is asked by his friend, Vinnie LeBlanc, to help him find his brother who was supposed to be leading a hunting party in Canada. They track them to a hunting lodge deep into the northern Canadian woods and then lose track of them They also encounter another group of men, brothers of one of the hunting party also seeking the whereabouts of the hunting party.

The answers to the mystery are simple, but Alex uses his past experience and instinct to figure out the mystery.
Stefani
Sep 19, 2011 Stefani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike Debaptiste
This is another Alex McKnight mystery and I think it's the best one of them all. The brother of Alex's Ojibwa Indian friend Vinnie goes missing after guiding some hunters across the border in Ontario. Alex and Vinnie go in search of him and get into an incredible adventure in the north country that was intensely thrilling. If you've ever spent time in the Canadian bush, you gotta read this one. The books in this series never fail to chill and thrill!
Lindig
Aug 21, 2011 Lindig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Interesting insight into northern Indian culture and the nature of brotherhood. I got a little tired of the driving back and forth from Paradise to the lodge in Canada. And I'm not so sure I like McKnight -- he seems so burned out there's nothing left, not ethics, not humor, only his connection to Vinnie. I'm pretty sure I read another of these books a few years ago but didn't remember anything of it. This book is very much like that -- unmemorable but perhaps a good read while traveling.
Carol
Jun 27, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Hamilton is one of the best writers I have come across in a while.This book kept me up way past dawn to finish. It is that good. Alex McKnight,an ex-Detroit cop,can't say no to a friend in need.That is how he ends up taking a trip deep into Canada to locate a missing hunting party.The forests of northern Ontario are not for the meek. They hold deadly secrets and Alex and his Ojibwa Indian friend Vinnie are about to find out the shocking secrets.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Blood is the Sky 1 2 Jan 30, 2012 03:08AM
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire (Woods Cop, #2)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • The Hanging Tree
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
  • Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry, #1)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
EXIT STRATEGY, the second book in the Nick Mason series, will be released on May 16, 2017.
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (10 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)

“It was a lesson I had taken most of my life to learn. Sometimes you have to let things go.” 5 likes