Start by marking “Sweet Caroline” as Want to Read:
Sweet Caroline

Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,380 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Caroline serves others with little time to enjoy the sweeter parts of life. Until her old boyfriend returns to town--and she's given a second chance at first love.

Life hasn't always been so sweet for Caroline Sweeny.

She's sacrifice her desires for others--unlike her mother who abandoned their family years ago. But when a friend challenges her to accept an exciting job adve
Published February 12th 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2008)

Michelle
I wasn't sure what to expect with this story. At first I thought it would be a straight chick lit, and in some ways it was. However, Sweet Caroline touched me in a deeper place than most lits do. I actually got choked up a few times. I rarely do these days. There were some very funny moments, some truly enjoyable girl times, and some romantic interludes that sizzled and popped. Best of all, though, was a spiritual awakening and a discovery of one's place in this world that was breathtaking and y ...more
Margaret Chind
May 31, 2008 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone making tough life choices in need of some guidance
Recommended to Margaret by: CFBA
Sweet Caroline is quite the book, and she is quite the person. She is a normal human being, in a normal life. Tough decisions need to be made, and only Christ knows if she is making the right choices. This book grips your heart and doesn't let it go. I love it from the heart-head-ear conversations to the screaming in my head what I thought she should do. :) This story of a girl in her late twenties growing up is something that anyone could benefit from reading. Caroline's situations remind me of ...more
Candice
Mar 19, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! I, literally, laughed out loud in at least every chapter. The main character was hilarious. I have to admit though, the surprise ending threw me for a loop. The ending was satisfying, all loose ends were tied by the last page, but I'm dying to know what becomes of the characters next. Maybe it mentions this in "Love begins with Elle"? I will have to read it to see. :)
Susan
Jul 24, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a sale some time back and placed it in my "to-be-read" pile. I found it a great summer read and am glad I picked it up now. For those who enjoy Christian Fiction, it has the faith element woven into it, but not in a cheesy way that some books in this genre do. In fact, I felt this book was about real people with real problems and real feelings. I like that about Hauck's writing. This book was published in 2008 and is followed by two more romance novels set in the Lowcoun ...more
Kristen
2 1/2 Stars -

Very slow start for me...picked up a little in the middle-end.

I don't know if it the kindle version (probably), but it was very confusing at times. We would be in one place with characters talking, then all of the sudden in the next joining paragraph we are in a totally different situation... The Christian aspects were a little too preachy.

Romance was a little weak, didn't give a good happy concluding ending, don't know if this is going to be a sequel or not...just ok for me.

Mora
Deanna
Feb 04, 2011 Deanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cute at times, but just to over the top for me. The main character has to choose between two completely hot guys who are after her (one a famous country star). Also whether she should take a job with the Donald Trump of Europe who thinks she's wonderful, despite the fact that she has no experience, education, foreign travel background, connections or even lived out on her own, or stay and own her own business that she received for free and starts doing great under her Midas touch.
Jaclyn
Mar 02, 2011 Jaclyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, chick-lit
This book was a good distraction for me when I needed a fast, easy read. Caroline is a people pleaser who can't say no to anyone, and always puts off her own plans and dreams for others. Now she's been offered the opportunity of a lifetime, a job in Barcelona with one of her best friends. The only problem is: she's just inherited the Cafe she used to work for, and her long time love is back in town. Will Caroline finally put herself first? And what does that mean exactly?
Nancy H Vest
Jul 21, 2012 Nancy H Vest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is categorized as a romance, I didn't see it as one. To me, it was a story of a woman facing some difficult choices. The ending was not what I was expecting, but it was believable and left several possibilities open for what could happen next.

The story is told with a single POV and it is told in present tense. I liked that! It's different!
Chesney
I liked the book. Great characters and I love that is has a South Carolina feel. I was disappointed in the end though. It left you you hanging and I didn't like it.
Jeanette
Oct 24, 2015 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This story was about a girl finding her way. Caroline is not used to putting herself first, she always puts others needs first. She gets the opportunity of a job in Barcelona but at the same time a café is left to her and now she doesn't know what to do. At the same time she has just started dating a new guy, but then her ex-boyfriend (who she never got over) is back in town. I enjoyed how the story flowed and all the characters around Caroline were special in their own way. I enjoy reading abou ...more
Cathy Daniel
Apr 17, 2013 Cathy Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing, wonderful book! I cried and laughed ( the racing scene was hysterical to me lol) I can't wait to read book #2!
Jenny
Jan 23, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!!! funny love story and friendship too. And let's not forget car naming. Great Novel I love her!!
Cookielover
Perfect mix of something totally more than sweet. I loved the characters and everything.
Tina
Jul 23, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacy
Aug 12, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice story that feels like the South Carolina low country it is set in. The writing was good and kept me reading into the night. There were many storylines woven together with real skill. The finding God storyline was one that I found moving without being preachy. That being said, some things were a little too good. I’ve never had a car dealer make a deal with me and then throw in an extra $1000 because he thinks I’m a good person and I know there are many virgins in their late 20′s, b ...more
Melanie
This is not your normal Christian Romane novel and I have to admit that I was not too happy with the book at the beginning. With two gorgeous men chasing after Caroline, I couldn't seem to relate to her. However the further I got into the book the more I realized how "human" she was.

She wasn't a Christian and she didn't even desire to come to know God at all. The author didn't even mention God fully until further into the book... something I am not sure if I like or not. I suppose it is a diffe
Miriam Klit
May 17, 2015 Miriam Klit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently stumbled upon another one of Rachel's books and liked it, Sweet Caroline didn't disappoint me!
It took about 50 pages for me to get ahold of the story, because of a lot of secondary characters. Ones I got past that point though, the rest went by quickly.
It is also one of the most direct books in regard to the Christian faith, Rachel is very explicit about Caroline's beliefs and we see many aspects of the Christian faith, like prophesy.

The only thing I miss is for the story to continue
Hayley
Sweet Caroline was a really endearing story about a young woman who needs a little "push" in life. She's lukewarm in life, her faith, and caters to everyone around her, before herself. That's before she is handed the keys to a Beaufort Cafe, The Frogmore, in Jones' will. She doesn't know what to do or which way to turn and decides immediately she should sell it.

Should she sell it? She is also given a chance of a lifetime to work in Barcelona! Should she stay in her home town and struggle making
Tammy
Jul 01, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing was good, but I wouldn't call it a romance. I didn't care much for either of Caroline's boyfriends. The best part was the reference to the song, Sweet Caroline, as well as several movie references like Back to the Future, etc. the biggest turn off was the use of an obvious reference to Jane Austen, but her name was spelled wrong, not once but several times! That was so lame.
Erin
Dec 17, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caroline was someone I could really relate to, seeing as we are both 20-somethings who seemingly have put our own lives on 'hold' in order to focus on helping others. When Caroline is suddenly faced with several life-altering choices she must seek guidance from the Lord in order to make the best decision. It took me a while to understand why she ends up choosing the one that she does, but that's because it is a deep decision which I would have wrestled over myself. While I'm not sure I would hav ...more
Jessica
Apr 07, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note to self: Not sure what I thought the first time I read it (grin) after reading about half way through I realized I had read this book before. Matter of fact I have read the whole series. It was definitely worth the re-read. May have to re-read the rest of the series. This is what happens when they change the cover of a book.
Karen Matlack
Jul 09, 2016 Karen Matlack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story of finding yourself

As in all of the Rachel Hauck books that I've read (and loved), this one continues to show how love, forgiveness, and find perfect love through Jesus are all you need. Another winner!
Denise
High 3 stars - through the first half it seemed like a run of the mill Christian romance with a confused heroine surrounded by her best friends. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the turns and complexity that developed.
Tiffyd
Apr 06, 2014 Tiffyd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler Alert***
I want to give this five stars because the story was cute and well written but when I read an uplifting romance I want the hero and heroine to end up together!! Why didn't Mitch wait for Caroline?
Anomis
Apr 04, 2014 Anomis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It didnt end like i wanted it to ... but it was still good and the more i think about it... ( yeah its one of those books that stays with you ) the more i like the ending ... cant wait to get my hands on the next book.
Jennifer Keller
I really liked the story. Some of the coming to a knowledge of God parts were a bit unrealistic and slightly off putting. I thought the characters were interesting. I enjoyed the romance as well.
Michelle
Mar 25, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La La
Jul 20, 2016 La La rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and tender

A loving portrait of the way God must lead us through the hard times to form us into the people we're meant to be - and a little romance to boot.
Melanie
Jul 11, 2014 Melanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will not be continuing with this book since it is written in first person. I LOVE this author, but I can not stand first person narratives.
Just - The romance reader
I've read this book twice and counting and loved it even more the second time around than I did the first. The entire series is great and this is definitely one of my favorite books, possibly only second to the second book in this series, Love Starts With Elle. Caroline is such a wonderful characters and the supporting characters in the book really just add to the story in a wonderful way. I wish we saw Mitch as more of a main character, but if he were then it wouldn't be the same story. I can o ...more
Q&A with Rachel H...: is there more to the story? 2 8 Apr 29, 2013 12:14PM
  • Love Lifted Me (Songbird, #3)
  • Only Uni (Sushi, #2)
  • Stealing Adda
  • Dreaming in Black & White (Phoebe Grant, #1)
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Surrender Bay (Nantucket, #1)
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Save the Date
  • Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2)
  • She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2)
New York Times, USA Today & Wall Street Journal Bestselling author Rachel Hauck writes from sunny central Florida.

A RITA finalist and winner of Romantic Times Inspirational Novel of the Year, she writes vivid characters dealing with real life issues.

She loves to hear from readers. She also loves to encourage new writers and sits on the Executive Board of American Christian Fiction Writers..

A
More about Rachel Hauck...

Lowcountry Romance (3 books)
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)