Start by marking “How I Learned To Love You From So Far Away” as Want to Read:
How I Learned To Love You From So Far Away
read ebook

How I Learned To Love You From So Far Away

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  15 reviews
21 stories about love & technology.

Available in print:

or for the Kindle:
chapbook, 36 pages
Published December 2009 by Cold God Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How I Learned To Love You From So Far Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Learned To Love You From So Far Away

g
I downloaded the Kindle version of this book to my iPod on a whim the other day; a lady whose reviews I rather randomly started following on Goodreads (she's got good taste) spoke highly of it.

I finished the book, stared into space for about two minutes, fished out my laptop, and -click!- ordered hard copies of it for myself and for a friend, and -click!- downloaded this author's other four Kindle books. (See how far I've come from my Luddite days?!)

It's very short fiction about the internet and
laaaaames
I used to really think I hated short stories. Until I read Kevin Fanning I still thought that. Which is funny to me, in light of this book, hating a form until I met a friend on the internet and read his stories on the internet and today I give five stars to his book revolving so much around the internet. But wrapped up in that time also I read other short stories by people who passed away long before the internet was a glimmer in Al Gore's eye. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a new form ...more
Jamie
I could easily go on and on to write a review longer than most of the stories here, so I’ll do them justice and keep the praise succinct. Here’s the warning, though: to be careful, to not let the size fool you. These little stories pack a wallop of a punch; all muscle, all sinewy, juggernaut heart.

Even more improbably, importantly, they do the near-impossible: they get the internet just right.

(Also, I’m a Carolina girl. It snowed exactly once on Hilton Head in April; ask anyone who was there.)
Meg
I just realized that in this box, Goodreads is not only prompting me to write my review, but to write about "What I learned from this book."

That seems like a good way to go.

What I learned from this book:
- Kevin Fanning is an unbeatable short formist. The shortest story in this book is very, very short, and it is very, very good, and I kinda sorta want to read it forever. I think my other favorites are "My Final Score" and "Liveblogging the Announcements," in case you are wondering.

- These stor
Pierce
FULL DISCLOSURE: My name is inside this chapbook somewhere.

So it seems like no one writing books really understands the Internet. Or prefers to ignore it. And no one on the Internet is really able to manage books. And very few fiction at all. And when they start making fiction, they start ignoring the Internet.

'Cept Kevin I guess. This area's pretty important/interesting to me. How we are living with this web. All these young people, all these connections. So many hours. Such a big chunk of peop
Trixie Fontaine
I think half of the point of this is to not sit online writing a review of it. But I have to mention that the title font ROCKS (and cover design in general).

A special treasure I'll put right next to the only other chapbook I own: written by a local harpist/poet and handed down to me by someone she gave it to who totally didn't want it, but I *love* it.

I realize I'm not commenting on the content at all really, but I guess that's because the medium is so intimate and powerful to me. The stories ar
Simon
Mar 25, 2010 Simon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Simon by: Pierce
Shelves: fiction
Well this was rather curious. I was expecting something more straightforward and direct about the internet and how it affects the world and people's relationships. There are stories in here which tackle those topics, along with plenty of mentions of twitter, flickr and facebook, but on the whole it's more oblique and dreamlike than I thought it would be. Not that that's a bad thing. On the whole I think my favourite was the longest, How To Be The Good Son; a moving tale of how a man helps his mo ...more
Eli
About seven years ago I stumbled across Kevin Fanning's writing and I used to send him these geeky fawning emails, to which he would always sweetly reply and chastise me gently for being self-effacing. I think of us as sort of friends, even though we've never met and in his little note at the front he wrote 'happy holidays etc' which I think is a little aloof but whatever, Kevin.

If anything I'd say that his writing has become more romantic and more sad. I'm going to leave this book around so tha
lindsay
listen, i think i took so long to purchase/read this because i knew it would make me want to die inside from feeling so many feelings, and i was right! great!

i love the internet, and the internet loves me, but i never would have thought about most of the things in this book in the ways they are presented. it is beautiful.

also, i don't know what it is about the cover art/fonts, but it is immensely pleasing and i cannot stop looking at it.
Mace
I don't know why it took so long for me to finish reading this. I had one story left, and then my cat hid it under the bed. I finally unearthed it last night and actually re-read the whole thing because IT IS THAT GOOD, PEOPLE.
The stories are short, but you really need to take a minute after each one to let it settle in, and sort out what feelings are rising out of it. Seriously, I love this book.
Nate B
a series of short stories (chapbook) from an introspective mind, deeply altered by current technology, internet, and social networks. Seeking humanity in this strange new landscape we have found ourselves in.

Compelling.
zan
Feb 16, 2010 zan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I wanted to use words like "satisfying" and "relevant" to describe this tidy little collection, but I also didn't want to sound like a sidebar in Time Magazine. So instead: good stuff.
allison
Really quite gorgeous.
Morgan  Lee
Incredible.
Alex Bennetts
"Building The Perfect Lolcat
Just got back from Iraq. I was there to work with children whose parents had been killed in the war. They told me their stories, shared with me how they lived, and I taught them how to build lolcats. I know, I know. But to me there was never a more elegant marriage of form and function. A few simple elements, accessible to anyone, can result in such a wide variety of outcomes. At first I was worried the humor might not translate, but the children gathered around as I
Yemofio Mohammed
Yemofio Mohammed marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Muhamad El-Fouly
Muhamad El-Fouly marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kim W
Kim W marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
pool spy
pool spy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Zulfa
Zulfa added it
Jun 16, 2014
Brinda
Brinda marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
E. Aucoin
E. Aucoin marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I woke up driving and screaming.
More about Kevin Fanning...
Jennifer Love Hewitt Times Infinity Let's All Find Awesome Jobs Magical Neon Sexuality The Location Scout Fever Dream Ghost Book