Start by marking “The Confession” as Want to Read:
The Confession

The Confession

Mary Roberts Rinehart (1876-1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. "Dorothy B. Hughes, crime critic and novelist, says she 'has been and continues to be' the most important American woman mystery writer. " She was born in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, which has been a part of the city of Pittsburgh since 1907. She attended public schools and ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by B&R Samizdat Express (first published 1917)

Becky
Mar 13, 2017 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short read. I didn't really feel that there was much of a mystery going on. And the beginning was probably supposed to be suspenseful or creepy, but it just made me laugh. Which was fine with me. :p
Feb 15, 2017 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, feb-2017
Having never read any books by this author, I have to say it was an enjoyable classic mystery. I liked the creepy parts yet she added a touch of humor to the book at times. The characters were likable and this was an all around well written story.

It was a fairly short book that I was able to read in one sitting. They have a large selection of her books on Amazon and I plan on reading some more of her writings!
Whistlers Mom
Sep 11, 2016 Whistlers Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think you're either a Rinehart fan or you're not. Her books are dated, but whether you consider them quaint and charming or absurd is a matter of personal taste. Certainly her over-the-top, had-I-but-known style is a thing of the past. I like them for the reason that I like most old mysteries. No other genre gives as intimate and realistic a rendering of daily life in the past as mysteries. Mystery writers MUST get the details right. Solving the crime depends on it.

This is a favorite of mine.
Mrsgaskell
Dec 31, 2011 Mrsgaskell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8-star, kindle
I came across this free download while browsing in the Kindle store. I haven't read anything by Mary Roberts Rinehart in decades so I thought I'd try it for old times' sake. I'm not sorry I did. It was an enjoyable old fashioned mystery. A spinster and her maid rent an old house in a village for the summer. The original idea was to have some nieces and nephews to stay but it doesn't work out that way and they are alone with the cook most of the time. The old lady who rents them the house has ask ...more
Jenn Estepp
I maybe would've liked this a wee bit better if it wasn't my, I don't know, fourth or fifth Mary Roberts Rinehart? She definitely had a groove and, while not completely sticking to it, moved pretty comfortably in it for multiple books. i.e., older lady and her less-educated companion rent a remote house for the summer and then spookiness goes down that they must get to the bottom of. I think the other books are better, but this passed the time adequately and I won't complain too much about thing ...more
Barbara
Oct 19, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect mystery for reading near the end of October. Even though there turns out to be a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation for the events of the book, Ms Rinehart builds a creepy atmosphere that sent chills up my spine more than once. I believe if she had ever turned her hand to the writing of "ghost stories," Ms Rinehrat would have been an uncommon success at it given her talent for creating the proper atmosphere of suspense.
Yibbie
Aug 05, 2015 Yibbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A slightly terrifying little story. There were spots I wouldn't have stopped to go to sleep. At one point you even suspect the country doctor. She builds a confusing set of circumstances, and then gives a very good clue about halfway through. After that it was easy to figure out. It was a fun read though.
Anna
Nov 09, 2012 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun mystery that I really enjoyed. Mary Roberts Rinehart is overshadowed by others like Agatha Christie, but she's worth exploring. She was a very prolific writer as well.
Honnha
Mar 15, 2011 Honnha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderfully written story. I enjoyed it thoroughly. If you love to read for the sake of reading, I highly recommend this.
Kettle Macaulay
Meh. Built up the spooky really well, but had a rather deflated ending. Mary, your endings are your greatest weakness, I fear.
Pat Beard
Definitely of its time. Much more gothic than my taste. The characters were very well drawn.
Jane
Jan 05, 2013 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Okay, rather old timey and Agatha Christie.
Kay
Oct 08, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old fashioned formula mystery.
Dec 18, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
first read of this author.
Terri
May 29, 2014 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, classics
A really enjoyable little mystery.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 25, 2012 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, rinehart
Agnes Blakiston rents a house, but soon begins wondering if its haunted and whats Miss Emily's big secret...
Sydney
Sydney rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Sunny Wu
Sunny Wu rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Mansi
Mansi rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Anne Wingate
Anne Wingate rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Debra Klipstein
Debra Klipstein rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Enaid
Enaid rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • The Doctor's Dilemma: A Tragedy
  • Ivan the Fool
  • Real Ghost Stories
  • Edgar and the Tattle-Tale Heart: A BabyLit® Book: Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart"
  • The Wyvern Mystery
  • The Adventures of Zelda: A Pug Tale (Zelda, #1)
  • The Shelter (A Short Story)
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • The House of Dr. Edwardes
  • The Case of the Perfect Maid: A Short Story
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Bell's Big Move (Bell, #1)
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...