Start by marking “Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Man, the Image and the World: A Retrospective” as Want to Read:
Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Man, the Image and the World: A Retrospective

Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Man, the Image and the World: A Retrospective

Henri Cartier-Bresson is one of the finest image makers of our time. Born in 1908, he studied painting before embarking on a career in photography in the 1930s. In 1940 he was captured by the Germans and spent three years in prisoner-of-war camps before escaping to join the Paris underground. With Robert Capa, David Seymour and others, he founded the photographic agency Ma ...more
Published July 3rd 2003 by Thames & Hudson (first published April 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Henri Cartier-Bresson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henri Cartier-Bresson

Michelle
Aug 27, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
This book was published in 2003 in conjunction with HCB's 95th birthday as a retrospective of his lifetime's work - including his work regarding film and drawing as well as photography. A handful of essays - mostly just applauding HCB more for what a great guy he is and admired artist. The last essay I felt said the most about his artistic philosophy and the contradiction at which he presents himself as photojournalist - stating in the 1970s that he never considered himself a good photojournalis ...more
brian tanabe
Jan 26, 2008 brian tanabe rated it really liked it
I am unabashedly not well versed in photography -- so take that for what it's worth.

This book was a recommendation by a Goodreader who knows I at least appreciate art and so I bought the book.

From what I can tell Cartier-Bresson is a master. The early 20th century should thank him for his work.

As I went through this book, I felt a pang of sadness at the first groupings of photos, wishing this artist had only captured my country. And so what a delight when I came to the second half of the book an
Kelly_p
Oct 23, 2011 Kelly_p rated it it was amazing
This is ultimate coffee-table book, but not just for showing off. Evocative photography captures the 'definitive moment' in exquisite style. Some of my favourite photographs ever are in this retrospective collection, which is a wonderful way to while away a few hours and lose yourself in other worlds. This book actually fired up my love for HCB, leading me to take a special trip to the beautiful city of Edinburgh to view a retrospective in person - it was soooo worth it.
Roniq
Jan 20, 2008 Roniq rated it it was amazing
Henri Cartier Bresson is one of my all time favs. I had a chance to see a retrospective of his work in Barcelona, Spain a few years ago which included Photographs, Plates, Life Mag covers, Drawings, and Films he did. More than 350 pieces of his work in addition to 100 images of other artists he chose as having the "Decisive Moment". My all time top Art Experience and it was FREE. I spent a total of 9 hours there at the museum in two days. Gotta love Spain.
Sharon Wilbur
May 06, 2014 Sharon Wilbur rated it really liked it
An amazing collection of photography spanning Cartier Bresson's life. Very interesting commentary on the different stages of his life. Beautiful collection of photographs.
Bobby Rush
Apr 25, 2013 Bobby Rush rated it it was amazing
His photographs are just beautiful. Candid and raw in all his works. I didn't realize how diverse he was and after reading the book, appreciate him even more as a an artist and photojournalist.
Serenity
Jul 04, 2008 Serenity rated it it was amazing
These are photographs you could spend your entire life looking at.

Vince
Dec 27, 2012 Vince rated it it was amazing
A master of the photographic art.
Alison
May 06, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
This is where I first saw the breadth, skill, and consistency of HCB's work.
Bob Peru
Nov 10, 2009 Bob Peru rated it it was amazing
h c-b= hero.
Francesca R.
Francesca R. rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Bojan Fürst
Bojan Fürst rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Jennifer Brennan
Jennifer Brennan rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2008
Peter Voerman
Peter Voerman rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Marton Apai
Marton Apai rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Terrance
Terrance rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2008
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Chris Lange
Chris Lange rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Martina
Martina rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2008
Todd Gehman
Todd Gehman rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2013
Berti83
Berti83 rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Wagner
Wagner rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
Wayne Bellamy
Wayne Bellamy rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Julia Gonzales
Julia Gonzales rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
susan Song
susan Song rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2007
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2016
Naseem
Naseem rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2017
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Claudia
Claudia rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2017
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Street Photography Now
  • The Definitive Collection
  • Looking at Photographs: 100 Pictures from the Collection of the Museum of Modern Art
  • Bystander: A History of Street Photography
  • A Human Eye: Essays on Art in Society, 1996-2008
  • On Reading
  • Nan Goldin: The Other Side 1972-1992
  • Eudora Welty: Photographs
  • Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials
  • Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach [With Dvdrom]
  • Walker Evans: The Hungry Eye
  • Through the Lens: National Geographic's Greatest Photographs
Henri Cartier-Bresson was a French photographer considered to be the father of modern photojournalism, an early adopter of 35 mm format, and the master of candid photography. He helped develop the "street photography" or "real life reportage" style that has influenced generations of photographers that followed.
More about Henri Cartier-Bresson...