Start by marking “Homeschool Your Child for Free” as Want to Read:
Homeschool Your Child for Free

Homeschool Your Child for Free

For Families Who Want to Splurge on Education but Scrimp on Spending
Are you considering homeschooling your child, but don't know where to go for the best educational resources? The Internet is an open door to the biggest library/laboratory the world has ever seen—and it's all at your fingertips for free! This never-ending source of information, adventure, and educational e
Published August 4th 2009 by Three Rivers Press (first published August 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Homeschool Your Child for Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeschool Your Child for Free

Debbie
Aug 07, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me this wasn't about finding free resources as much as finding a way to add some fun and excitement to what we were already doing. I am not through the whole book yet, but so far I have found an amazing amount of resources that I am excited to add to our learning. Some of the websites noted in the book are not around anymore, but most are either accurate and current or can be found in a simple google search. Not a final review by far, but so far I am very pleased with this book!
Ruth
Jun 17, 2013 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Websites mentioned are almost entirely outdated, and the book consisted mostly of links. When was the last time you visited www.geocities.com?
The appendix does have a broad scope and sequence that may help someone get started googling newer links. If you're interested in building your own curriculum, you might find the book a little helpful.
Shauna
Aug 10, 2009 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many good points, but outdated. Several (many) of the websites are out of commission or charge for their services now.
Jonna Higgins-Freese
This was a VERY basic overview/introduction, focused more on materials and resources than on methods of how you would actually employ them. There are some nice, basic introductory sections on various curriculum plans (unit studies, unschooling, etc.) She offers resources for all subject areas, from teaching literacy skills to trigonometry, art, and anthropology. Perhaps the most useful sections, for me, were the vignettes from various families about how they homeschool. I was most impressed by h ...more
Gina Denny
Dec 14, 2010 Gina Denny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents, those considering homeschool
This is exactly what I was looking for in a homeschooling resource. It has literally hundreds of website links for teaching different subject. There are brief explanations about WHY every subject listed is important, how it helps develop a child and his mind. There are resources listed for making your homeschool more "legit:" how to create IDs, diplomas, report cards, transcripts and everything else that homeschool kids don't generally get but ultimately need in their real life.

I highly, highly
Deanna
Nov 28, 2008 Deanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This large book is a reference for over 1,200 websites for homeschooling families. I liked her commentary and learned some useful things. She had several Internet addresses for every subject you could ever think of.

I looked up a good many websites that I was interested in. Almost every single one of them was either a bad address or not worth anything to me. The book was published in 2000 which is a lot of time in the computer world. I think with a little creativity you can google anything you ca
Jeepster
Mar 14, 2012 Jeepster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who homeschools or is thinking about it
Recommended to Jeepster by: family member
So many free resources. This is a book to flip through and skim and then go back numerous times to specific subjects/areas that you are planning for.
This book highly encourages digging deep in your community for resources you never knew were there. Lots of anecdotal stories to inspire and give ideas.
This book is a keeper! A must-read for anyone who is currently homeschooling or is keeping it as a possibility.
Heather
Apr 28, 2013 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Although I have not read this cover to cover, it has a great number of sites for educational use. I do not use the internet exclusively as we like books, crafts, outdoor fun, and trips, etc... for the majority of our schooling. I do use educational sites for extras like learning about holidays, specific topics, lapbooks, educational games and more however.
Kcshrader
Mar 12, 2015 Kcshrader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
I bought this one because it promised access to ongoing updates electronically. Let's just say that didn't work well. Thanks to the nature of the internet, the book was outdated before it ever came off the presses, and without that update system, it's really not worth a whole lot. Still, if you don't mind double-checking all the links, it does offer some good websites to try.
Kate
Aug 14, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if there is a new edition or not, but there needs to be. A lot of the links were out of date/didn't work and I know there are tons more resources out there than when this book was written.
Ami
Sep 16, 2009 Ami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
This book was basically several lists of websites where you can get free information in various subjects. It could be wildly helpful, but it is not the type of book that offers much more than website resources.
Beth
Jun 06, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-schooling, own
Bought @ used book store even though there is a newer edition out. Lots of information & websites (not sure if duplicated as you can find so much on the internet). But will have it on hand as a resource guide.
Amber
Apr 17, 2008 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-books, hs
the idea that you can do homeschool for free and without ready-made cirriculums was not one i had heard of in my study of homeschool until this book. a very encouraging read for anyone who is or who is thinking about homeschooling.
Helena
I don't think I'll ever be "done" with this book, as it's a resource that's in use as needed. Definitely got a lot of helpful information in it--I ended up getting my own copy so I could have it to refer to, as I had to give the library's copy back. :)
Fiona Endsley
This Book is packed full of helpful educational websites, clearly whatever you are looking to teach your child, there is an excellent chance you will find what you need online. I got this one out of the library but I think it's worth getting my own copy.
Sundy DeGooyer
Apr 06, 2011 Sundy DeGooyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many great websites to check out. So many great ideas. Almost every page of this book is highlighted or folded down or marked in someway. I'll be using this reference book A LOT next year.
Alinton
Nov 27, 2010 Alinton rated it it was amazing
I am reading the book, not ebook, and am less then 30 pages in and it has already given LOTS of infomation . I will have to purchase this book.
Tauna
Jan 03, 2011 Tauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Very very good resource. Helps prevent falling into a spending pit with curriculum and supplies. I'll check this out several ted in the future and may even buy it one day.
Dawn Mcclure
Oct 06, 2012 Dawn Mcclure rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I red the revised version and took a lot of notes. Some of the links listed are no longer available. This is a must have for all parents, not just homeschooling families.
Mary
Mar 29, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This books give lots of information about where to find free worksheets and other materials on the web. I found alot of the websites are no longer available.
Kerri
Sep 24, 2008 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book, but it is a little outdated. Still, it would be a good book to start out with, and you will be able to find a lot more resources online these days.
Jodi A
Jan 30, 2010 Jodi A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book had a lot of really good information and it was laid out pretty well. It was a little bit too much for me, too overwhelming.
Loni
Jul 16, 2013 Loni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for homeschoolers & parents who want to supplement what their children are learning in school.
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Michelle De
Michelle De rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Dalton Lynne
Dalton Lynne rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2011
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Jessika Vaupel
Jessika Vaupel rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Curriculum and Approach for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Homeschooling: Take a Deep Breath-You Can Do This!
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling
  • Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • Financial Peace Jr.: Teaching Kids About Money! : "Cool Tools" for Training Tomorrow's Millionaires!
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old
  • Stupid Things Parents Do to Mess Up Their Kids
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Unpuzzling Your Past
LauraMaery Gold is a marriage and family counselor in private practice in Washington State. She's the author of many books on parenting, family finances, practical religion, and personal technology. She holds multiple advanced degrees and certifications in family counseling, personal finance, and law.

LauraMaery and her husband Dan Post are the parents of seven children and believe they may hold so
More about LauraMaery Gold...