1001 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die

1001 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die (1001 Before You Die)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Updated and enhanced with new descriptions of natural wonders selected by UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) as World Heritage sites, this beautiful volume takes readers to the most spectacular places on Earth--sights and locations so breathtaking that once seen, they are never forgotten. Among them are:
The iconic rocks and pinn...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Barron's Educational Series (first published May 1st 2005)

Hayley
This book was written fairly well & it had so many places included in the 1001 natural wonders that I'd never seen or heard of before. However, I wished that some of the photography had been better quality & that there had been pictures of every, or almost every, place included in the list.
Regina Hunter
Nov 04, 2011 Regina Hunter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tazzie
Recommended to Regina by: Mark
I love the book series. They provide very short description of anything that I need and it is not a main source of information, but a nice beginning. I would read every single one I will find and suggest everyone does the same. It is very good for basic education.
Blog on Books
A companion book to '1001 Escapes You Must See Before You Die' is ‘1001 Natural Wonders to See Before You Die’ (edited by Michael Bright of the BBC’s Natural History Unit) and while this huge, 960-page volume has a slightly different stance, it only serves to pique one’s curiosity about even more places to add to one’s proverbial ‘bucket list.’ The obvious difference between the two books is that since less of the locales in ‘Natural Wonders’ are promoted as ‘businesses,’ that it’s quite possibl...more
Kirk
This was an okay read, but I have a few issues with it:

-They had to start with North America? It's so typical, and they really blew through their picture budget on the U.S., leaving the rest of the world's locations mostly to the imagination. The U.S. locales have about twice the number of pictures as say, African locations, places most of us have never seen pictures of; instead, we get more pictures of places like Mt. Rainier and Crater Lake, places which even an amateur nature enthusiast has m...more
Tyler
Jun 25, 2013 Tyler marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I just finished the North America section (skimming) and so far this is sort of bullshit. It's HIGHLY biased towards the western half of the continent (not counting the Caribbean). Other than the Everglades and the Bay of Fundy, there's practically nothing east of the Mississippi! They gave 5 entries to Yosemite, but they can't spare a page for the Hudson River valley or the freaking Great Smoky Mountains?
They're also way too focused on volcanoes. Obviously they're not all the same, but it's lik...more
Diane
This is a great read for anyone looking for nature travel ideas.

The book includes a picture and a one page description of each destination. The photographs are amazing and the descriptions are well written.

The destinations are interesting, however some of them are located in volatile and remote regions of the world. The format of the book precludes inclusion of this information, but it is something to consider.

Astrila
Jun 19, 2008 Astrila rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in nature
Recommended to Astrila by: Me
Shelves: read-non-fiction
A great book full of beautiful things you probably won't find out about anywhere else. It doesn't give a whole lot of info on each thing, however it has some beautiful picts, and it's a great way to find out about things and then research them further elsewhere.

There are more than 1001 awesome natural wonders in the world, so this book certainly doesn't include everything, but still a great reservoir.
Deborah Vespo
ISBN 0764158171

Buying this book! Great pictures and loved the explanations and histories about the different places. A must have for many of these places that I want to go that are on my bucket list.
Lauren
Discouraging, because I'll never see even a small portion of them, but beautiful pictures and interesting to read about.
Purna Yenti
Bagus bangeet... smoga bisa bisa mengunjungi tempat-tempat itu, before I die.. ^^,
Mariah
so many pretty places that I have never heard of.
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Januza
Januza marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Jyri Engeström
Jyri Engeström marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
ashleylynn
ashleylynn is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
Kimberly Kenzig
Kimberly Kenzig marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Dri
Dri marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Jenna Bower
Jenna Bower marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
  • 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth: A Rough Guide to the World: 1000 Ultimate Travel Experiences (Rough Guides Reference Titles)
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die
  • 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • Food Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 Extraordinary Places to Eat Around the Globe
  • 501 Must-Visit Destinations
  • Back To The Wild
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • Ancient Rome
  • New York
  • David Attenborough's Life Stories
  • The Times Complete History of the World
  • Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors
Africa: Eye to Eye with the Unknown Dolphins Man-Eaters Whale Odyssey: A Humpback Whale's First Perilous Year Sharks