Start by marking “The Last Chapter” as Want to Read:
The Last Chapter

The Last Chapter

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This thought-provoking, semi-autobiographical book tells the story of Aisha, a young Moroccan woman, and her struggle to find an identity in the Morocco of the second half of the twentieth century. Charting Aisha's path through adolescence and young adulthood up to the present, her story is told through a series of flashbacks, anecdotes, and glimpses of the past, all bound ...more
Published April 12th 2010 by American University in Cairo Press (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Chapter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Chapter

Fred Daly
Mar 23, 2014 Fred Daly rated it did not like it
I really expected to like this, but I was very disappointed. It's a novel (largely autobiographical, evidently) about a Moroccan woman who is educated, beautiful, and (somewhat to her own surprise) unmarried. But it's a lazy, incoherent book. She switches topics suddenly, and replaces actual events with long, desultory conversations that serve mainly as a way to convey ideas about gender and colonialism. It's like a series of Platonic dialogues, but with less action and character development. Sh ...more
DubaiReader
May 16, 2011 DubaiReader rated it liked it
Shelves: kutub-bk-grp, 2010
A Moroccan woman struggles for independence.

Although this is only a short book (168pg), I didn't find it a quick read; I had to really concentrate to get to the point the author was trying to make. The narrative consisted of several distinct episodes in the life of a semi-fictitious woman, apparently mirroring that of the author. Everyone seems to be ultimately diappointing - her childhood friend, her boss, her lovers.
It struck me that the problems she encounters are symptomatic of many countrie
Barbara Ab
Jul 27, 2016 Barbara Ab rated it did not like it
Is there anything worse than a sour spinster? I guess it is a fanatic muslin – not good looking – sour spinster. I couldn’t help myself from loathing this woman for her hatred against Western culture and women in general. I think that the publicity she had as the first Arabic woman writer translated into English is all about her fanatics biased ideas. Actually a judgmental sour spinster… I pity all the smart women who live in her country.
Yara Hatem
Oct 14, 2014 Yara Hatem rated it liked it
There was something off about the book, maybe it was the fact that it was translated. So it kinda lost it's appeal. But never the less, I did enjoy the book. It's an alright read.
Katlin
Dec 30, 2007 Katlin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in modern North African history/women's studies
A very fast read about an unmarried middle-aged muslim woman in Morocco. Throughout the story, she finds herself surrounded by disappointing suitors, lovers, bosses, and leaders, and she reacts by distancing herself from a society that she still loves too much to leave for the West. Some of the references might require a little research into modern Moroccan history.
Joulia Murad-Haydar
خيّب آمالي ..لم تعجبني لغته ولا حتى طريقة السرد والحوار اعتقد اني تكارمت جداً بمنحه نجمة واحدة ..لا انصح بقرائته
Yousefsuliman
Yousefsuliman rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2016
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Halim
Halim added it
May 26, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Karima
Karima rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Imane Boulal
Imane Boulal marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Ahmedmaged
Ahmedmaged marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Amina Mtc
Amina Mtc marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Yassine Azzioui
Yassine Azzioui is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Tuğçe Avcı
Tuğçe Avcı rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Badr
Badr rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
Molly Ferguson
Molly Ferguson marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Jamila
Jamila marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Trisha
Trisha added it
Jan 25, 2016
Simo
Simo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Pinskeyl
Pinskeyl marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
nole Benlahoussine
nole Benlahoussine marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Anas Norddo
Anas Norddo marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Leila Abouzeid (Arabic: ليلى أبو زيد) is a Moroccan fiction writer.
More about Leila Abouzeid...