The Red Scarf

The Red Scarf

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Amazing stories can be told with almost no words, as Anne Villeneuve demonstrates in The Red Scarf, originally published in French as L’echarpe rouge.

One day, a taxi driver finds a red scarf left behind in his cab by a customer. Determined to find the scarf’s owner, the cabbie unknowingly walks into a world filled with strange characters: a friendly lizard, a mischievous b...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Tundra Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Scarf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Scarf

Dolly
Nov 17, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining, almost wordless book that details a taxi driver's attempt to return a scarf left behind by a customer. The illustrations are colorful, with a crayon scribble texture to the coloration and a graphic novel format.

The story is short, but humorous and we enjoyed making up our own narrative as we flipped through the pages.
A vibrant, lively adventure of a story! A passenger leaves his red scarf in a taxi and the very committed driver is determined to return it to him. He follows the man to a circus and manages to get swallowed by a lion and in a tug-of-war with a monkey before falling into the magician's box. The ending includes a fun twist -- a jester-type animal runs after the taxi driver to return his hat.

This is a really fun wordless picture book. I especially liked the circus theme for the story and it made...more
Shanshad Whelan
A mostly wordless tale of a taxi driver's adventure when he attempts to return a brilliant red scarf to a magician. Reminds me a bit of Laundry Day, also out this year in which a bright piece of cloth inspires and is central to the encounters that take place in the book as the main character tries to return it to its owner.
Melissa
The taxi driver tries to return a red scarf...taxi driver is a black and white (and red for the scarf) sketch in full color-pencil illustrations. Driver reminds me strongly of Krazy Kat. Perfect ending (driver leaves his hat behind when he goes) which is sometimes hard to pull off when you're telling such an episodic story.
Maureen Milton
A charming, nearly wordless translation. Two quibbles: is the main character a mouse? The only way that I can tell is that he enacts the ?sterotype/?truth that elephants are terrified of mice. Is the presumed audience aware of this mouse-elephant canard?
MissInformation
Wordless! Yay!
Chasing a passenger who left a red scarf in his cab, a taxi driver has an amazing adventure as he wends his way through a circus.
Fun, energetic pastel and ink illustrations.
Susan
I loved this almost wordless picture book! I can imagine that it would be a great book to share one on one with a young child. Fun, clever, wonderfully illustrated
Susan Erhardt
Cute wordless story about a taxi driver who gets caught up in the circus because he's determined to return a customer's scarf -- nice twist at the end.
Katie Sicking
This story began with one sentence, and then the rest was all pictures. It's a good example of how a story can be told without words.
Connie
Apr 27, 2010 Connie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jv
A red scarf left in his taxi draws an unsuspecting driver into all kinds of circus acts.
Peacegal
I didn't really care too much for this book. The animal-circus setting really lost me.
Scottsdale Public Library
The book is a spectacular pictorial return under the big top. –Monty K.-
Ashley
A lovely wordless book. Full of expression and color.
Tina
nearly wordless, circus, taxi driver
Alisha
Alisha added it
Sep 15, 2014
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Dec 17, 2013
Heulwen Sweet
Heulwen Sweet marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Shriya
Shriya marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Loula Is Leaving for Africa Loula and the Sister Recipe La Grattouillette Percival et Kit-Kat L'incroyable invention de Felicio