Start by marking “Where Death Delights (Dr Richard Pryor Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Death Delights (Dr Richard Pryor Mystery #1)

Where Death Delights (Dr Richard Pryor Mystery #1)

The first in a new series from author of the ‘Crowner John’ books - 1955. Forensic pathologist Richard Pryor uses his ‘golden handshake’ to set up in private practice with scientist Angela Bray. A friendly coroner gives them a start, and when two women both claim that human remains found near a reservoir are their relatives, the dilemma is given to them to investigate. W ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Severn House Publishers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Where Death Delights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Death Delights

Nov 30, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
I loved the characters and the writing in this book. It took me a while to really get into the story because Knight took quite a bit of time to establish the characters and the setting so it was a while for the mystery to really take hold. That's okay because this was a pretty low-key mystery.

Richard Pryor is a forensic pathologist, in 1955 in Wales. He has just set up his own business with partner Angela Bray. Many of the cases they get a pretty routine, blood tests (Angela), unattended death
This is an interesting book. The main characters, Pryor and Bray, are a forensic pathologist and a forensic scientist who have set up a private practice in Wales in 1955. In many mysteries, Pryor and Bray would end up moonlighting as detectives investigating a single case, but not here. They mostly stick to the forensics and leave the investigating to the police and a private investigator. They work on several deaths, some of which get part of a sentence and some that get more attention. In many ...more
Apr 16, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it
Set in 1955, Richard Pryor has returned from Singapore to set up a forensic practice in the Wye Valley. Joining him in this venture is former Home Office scientist Angela Bray. They are fortunate to get a few cases to provide some income whilst they are still setting up the practice. One, the main case that occupies them, involves some remains found in a quarry, that have been identified by two women, who each stand to gain from the identification. Using the forensics skills and technology avail ...more
John Lee
Jan 18, 2011 John Lee rated it liked it
Having already read the next book in the series, it was still interesting to see how the Group at Garth House got started. As someone else has said, this book is only partly a mystery with the various cases sent to Dr/Professor Prior, but it is also about the inter relationship between the 5 people in the Practise.
I cant get Dr Finlay out of my mind ( although I suspect Janet was a good bit older than the young widow Moira !!).
An enjoyable enough read but it is soon back to the 'Crowner John' se
Feb 19, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Where Death Delights is a new mystery about a pathologist written by a pathologist, set in 1955 in the west country of England. Following his recent divorce, Richard Pryor has left government service in Singapore to set up a private practice in the newly emerging field of forensics. Pryor and his new partner partner, biologist Angela Bray, also on the rebound, set up their labs in the rambling house that he has inherited from an aunt. Neither is certain of the success of their new and risky vent ...more
Jul 13, 2011 Spuddie rated it really liked it
First of a series set in 1950's England that features Dr. Richard Pryor, a forensic pathologist just setting up his independent business after being given his notice at his former job in Singapore. He moves into a large house on the Welsh-English border that he inherited from his aunt and with business partner Dr. Angela Bray, who handles the lab side of things, sets out to make his mark. Working by word of mouth and referrals from colleagues, Dr. Pryor soon finds himself busier than a one-armed ...more
Jul 27, 2013 Betty rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, england
If the author's intent was to de-sensationalize forensic science as we see on TV, he succeeded. It reads like a personal essay, with technical detail taking center stage. The scientists do their job, which supports the coroner and police. No heroic crime solving here, just the daily grind of bodies and tests and conclusions. While I found myself actually interested in the nuts and bolts of the forensics in the 1950's, I wouldn't run to read the next in series. If the author hadn't already had a ...more
Apr 12, 2016 Fservin rated it it was ok
J'ai lu tous les livres de la série du crowner John, que j'ai beaucoup aimés. Par contre, celui-ci m'a paru très décevant. Il s'agit de la description linéaire, quasi entomologique, du travail d'un médecin légiste dans l'Angleterre des années 50. Aucun détail ne nous est épargné, jusqu'aux différentes marques de biscuits pour le thé ... Par ailleurs, il s'agit vraiment d'une "tranche de vie" très réaliste, et donc particulièrement peu palpitante. Bien sur, quand on lit certains policiers mettant ...more
Christa Huffman
Nov 13, 2015 Christa Huffman rated it did not like it
Such a tedious, flat read. So many characters, none of them with anything approaching a fleshed-out personality. The cases weren't engaging, and the descriptions repetitive and bland. I only stuck through to the end because I hate to give up on a book. The ending was trite, incredibly poorly executed, and I had to double-check that it was really ended, as it felt a strange place in a paragraph to end.

I listened to the audio book, and I think the reader's performance was probably the thing I like
Nov 29, 2011 Leslie rated it it was ok
Knight's initial entry in a new series is a workmanlike book with decent plotting and setting (1950's Wales). The characters, however, save it from being the book you read when there's nothing else and make it a series to keep an eye on. Richard Pryor, a pathologist newly returned from Singapore, has begun a private practice with an acquaintance from London, Angela Bray, a forensic scientist. The "will-they, won't they" chemistry is lightly handled and the secondary characters - a lab technician ...more
Henri Moreaux
Set in the 1950s Richard Pryor and his partner Angela Bray open a pathology lab taking on all the jobs they can, the novel in particular covers two cases - the death of a woman, and the mystery of a set of bones.

Unlike modern novels which use all the whizz-bang gadgets modern technology has to offer being set back in the day the characters here are reliant on more basic methods of deduction and analysis which make the story that much more interesting.
Feb 04, 2013 Teddi rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
Not really a mystery in what i'm used to. Feels more like a novel to set the scene for further in the series. That being said, once I got past the regional lingo and products that i'd never heard of before (would have been nice to explain what at Typhoo Tip was right off the back), I did enjoy the book although it was a bit slow going.
My one beef is that I cant really "picture" what the characters look like.
Will have a go at the 2nd in the series.
Steve James
Aug 30, 2012 Steve James rated it it was amazing
After enjoying Bernard Knight's Crowner series I thought I would try his modern series.
I was not disappointed.
His description of life, the cars and the consumables in the 1950s was evocative.
The story is well paced and the characters are likeable.
If you liked Life on Mars you will enjoy this book.
Aug 06, 2011 Mommalibrarian rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Featherweight British mystery in the lightly forensic tradition. Dr. Richard Pryor is a Forensic Pathologist, just setting up a private practice. The setting is Wales in the 1950s. He available and is surrounded by beautiful, eligible women. This fact is repeated ad naseum. I am on vacation and this is all there is to read.
Mar 09, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
Saw this on the shelf at the library and, while I don't really need another series to read, thought I'd give it a try. It was a nice story - genial enough characters and I do like the setting in the 1950s. The characters are on the cutting edge of forensics and it's kind of nice not to have all the technology playing a part.
Oct 28, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
First, I found it SO distracting that the main character's name was Richard Pryor! The comedian is not obscure.
Also, the author spent too much time describing food and fashions. I didn't care about any of the mysteries. The country side was lovingly described as well as every vehicle driven. Very slow pace. Read the second but no more for me.
Susan McDuffie
Sep 06, 2011 Susan McDuffie rated it liked it
Lots of interesting forensic procedure, Bernard Knight's years of OTJ experience is very evident. Nice 50s atmosphere, although some of the brand names were unfamiliar, and a mere description might have helped me picture things. Interesting characters and some nice "set-ups" for continuing books in the series.
The writing is just bad. When you count ten sentences in a row, some of them not dialogue, that end with exclamation points, you know the writing is bad.

The dialogue is atrocious and stiff.

Just no.
Nov 08, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it
No real story or plot to this. A bit more like the everyday life of a pathologist in the James Herriott style. That said I did enjoy this read and found it interesting especially as I had been to a talk by the author a few days before reading.
Katharine Ott
Mar 31, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it liked it
Shelves: ocbc-read
"Where Death Delights" - written by Bernard Knight and published in 2010 by Severn House. An unexceptional, but readable story of two pathologists working together to solve mysteries, of course involving mysterious death. British all the way.
Dec 28, 2013 Kyle rated it it was ok
Not an engaging book. Actually the story line is routine, Nothing exciting, nothing to grab you and certainly noting to truly engage you. It's simply a routine story. I stuck with it all the way through. It progressed well.
Melinda Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2013 Melinda Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I love that this book is set in the 50's, it feels like the classic, pre-csi era of forensics, where there is more thought and detective work involved. Very keen to see the other novels in this series :)
Jan 07, 2014 Anie rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
After reading one third of the book, the characters did not capture my interest and the plot was vague.
Jun 22, 2013 Cameron rated it liked it
Listened to this as an audio book. Interesting enough that I've bought the second in the series as well.
Martyn rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Nishma Malde
Nishma Malde rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Hannah Davies
Hannah Davies rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Kate rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Kayleigh  Holloway
Kayleigh Holloway rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Sandy Korenstra
Sandy Korenstra rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please fix ISBN 9781780101170 4 16 Aug 08, 2011 12:27PM
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • The King's Evil (Christopher Redmayne, #1)
  • Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella, #1)
  • The Blood Whisperer
  • Death in the Dark Walk (John Rawlings, #1)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • The Tomb of Zeus (Laetitia Talbot, #1)
  • Cursed in the Act (Bram Stoker Mystery #1)
  • The Keeper of Secrets (Tobias Campion, #1)
  • Shadow of the Serpent (Inspector McLevy, #1)
  • The Serpent Pool (Lake District Mystery, #4)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (Aelf Fen  #4)
  • A Charitable Body (Charlie Peace, #10)
  • The Messenger of Athens
  • The Dying Trade (Cliff Hardy, #1)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • Palace of Justice (Aristide Ravel, #2)
Aka Bernard Picton.

Professor Bernard Knight, CBE, (born 1931) became a Home Office pathologist in 1965 and was appointed Professor of Forensic Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine, in 1980. He has been writing since before 1963, when his first crime novel was published. Since then, he has written about thirty books, including contemporary crime fiction, historical novels about Wales,
More about Bernard Knight...

Dr Richard Pryor Mystery (3 books)
  • According to the Evidence (Dr Richard Pryor Mystery #2)
  • Grounds for Appeal (Dr Richard Pryor Mystery, #3)