The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)

The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles #7)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  751 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The Lord-Protector’s Daughter is a standalone fantasy novel that takes place in Tempre, the capital city of Lanachrona on Corus, the world of Modesitt’s Corean Chronicles.

Mykella, the eldest daughter of the Lord-Protector of Lanachrona, discovers that someone is diverting significant sums of money from her father’s treasury. One of the ancient soarers appears to Mykella,...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by Tor Books (first published November 11th 2008)

Jim
A good quick read. I believe this is going to be a trilogy, the third one of the Corean Chronicles, but it takes place between the other two chronologically. It was a good story, with an interesting heroine & came to a good end - no hanging, which I appreciate. There are certainly unanswered questions & plenty of room to continue the story, but this one is complete in itself.

Once again, Modesitt looks at how power works within a society. In this case, our heroine is a woman in a male dom...more
Carien
This was one of the most boring reads ever I must confess. Don't get me wrong: this book has its merits: It's nicely written and the characters and setting are intriguing. The story itself however drags endlessly, not only because there's too much telling instead of showing, but also too much showing of things that don't matter. Almost every chapter began with telling that Mykella got up, got dressed, washed up and went to breakfast. I don't need to read something like that more than twice at th...more
Yong En
I almost stopped reading this book, but I made myself continue. I didn't regret it because the ending was enjoyable, but the rest of it so-so.

The key issue with this book is how extremely mundane and repetitive it gets throughout. At least half the book could have been omitted. The existence of this book is necessary to set the tone and world for the next book, and to give it a fancy smacny title like "The Lady Protector" and in this it has done well through its ending.

In all honesty, you can ju...more
Dallas
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius and...more
Mel
Apparently I've read this before, but completely forgot everything about it and nothing seemed familiar about the book. However, I went to write a review here and discovered I'd already written one! Here is my newer review:

This is a newer book in the Corean Chronicles. It takes place several hundred years after Soarer's Choice. I've read the previous 6 books in the Chronicles and loved them, though now I realized I've forgotten quite a bit of them and want to reread them. This book was just okay...more
mandy
When I first began reading, I didn't really enjoy the way it was written. I thought some of the dialogue was stiff and so were the characters. As I continued to read, however, I gradually became sucked into the story and none of that seemed to matter as much. The plot is intriguing and the ancient magic is quite fun, and as soon as I can, I'm going to go back and read the books that I've missed, as this is my entryway into the series. A very cool read.
M. Mcgriff
The beginning looked very promising. However I was 85 or so pages in and I was finding it difficult to keep reading. It wasn't because it was written poorly, but rather the storyline was going too much into the day to day personal activities of the main characters as opposed to advancing the storyline that had me intrigued in the beginning. After awhile I just put it down and moved on to my next read.
Derek
I really do enjoy this world, and most of Mr. Modesitt's work, but this was a pretty weak entry. My brother would call it a money grab.

It referenced some of the earlier novels, but not to the point that you need to be brushed up on them to enjoy this one.

If you love the Corean Chronicles and want to take a couple of hours to revisit the world, this is a nice breezy read...
Chris
Pretty good. Not one of his stronger works, but Modesitt does a decent job of translating his consistently male character into a female character in the already-plotted venue.

Most frustrating element: Mykella spends most of her time seeing things go entirely pear-shaped, but doing absolutely nothing about it.
Mf
A new entry point into the Corean Chronicles. It was a decent read but the book really just sets the stage/explains the backstory/Talent of the world, with a thin plot wrapped around it. I expect that there will be more books following this one, and those will focus more on plot and character development.
Tom Boshell
A good book within an interesting world a Modesitt type of character: underdog (also when it is a princess) having a coming-of-age and power challenge (magic is always and added plus). More of a build-up type of book for the next book, namely she finds her power and struggles with her place in life.
Robert Mee
A good book, a bit out of the norm for the Corean Chronicles. I picked it up with the intent to read it, then put it down. Once I picked up the sequel, Lady-Protector, I knew I had to read this one. More like 3.5 stars, just because it seemed slower to get into than I would have liked.
Julie
Manoj Srivastava
I don't think Modesitt does women characters well -- this was a yawn inspiring book, where the heroine endured for the most while while doing little in response, unlike his other protagonists.
David
Dad got this one from the library and loaned it to me while I was visiting home. It's heavy-handed and didactic, and I don't think I'd read it again -- but I did finish it, and I didn't hate it.
Aaron
The main character learns how to use her powers way too quickly with no instruction, too repetitious. Although, it sounds like the next book in the series might be better.
Brand Hilton
Two-dimensional characters doing stupid things for nonsensical reasons.
Fran
Typical Modesitt story. I very much enjoy reading what he writes, watching the lead character grow and develop her/his previously undreamt-of abilities and Talents.
Katie Loper
I normally love L.E. Modesitt Jr's books. This not as much. He took forever for the story to build up and then completely ended it without much action.
Zarathos
I always like Modesitt's books... Yes, the plots & storylines are almost always the same, but that's probably why I like them...
Henning
L.E. Modesitt Jr. is my favourite author, and this book was a huge disappointment. Nothing happens. It's boring.
Frode
Typical Modessit, lots of day to day mundane stuff with a little action thrown in. I thought it was ok.
Craig
A bit better than 3 stars, but doesn't make 4. A somewhat weaker entry than most of the Corean books.
Dianne
I enjoyed this book, the ending was a bit rushed. Must have had a deadline.
Bill
Always a good read. Fast paced, simple conclusion, easy to read
Nappy
I will try and read the rest of the series.
Sarah Sim
I will try and read the rest of the series.
Ron
The newest in the Corean Chronicles
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder
Jared
Decent return to Corus - not as good as the Alector/Cadmian trilogy but definitely a good read.
  • Shapers of Darkness (Winds of the Forelands, #4)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2)
  • One Jump Ahead (Jon & Lobo, #1)
  • Mage of Clouds (The Cloudmages, Book 2)
  • The Wizard Lord (Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • To Ride a Rathorn (Kencyrath, #4)
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • House Name (The House War, #3)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u...more
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)