Start by marking “The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)

The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles #7)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,089 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Lord-Protector's Daughter is a standalone fantasy novel that takes place in Tempre, the capital city of Lanachrona on Corus, the world of Modesitt's Corean Chronicles.

Mykella, the eldest daughter of the Lord-Protector of Lanachrona, discovers that someone is diverting significant sums of money from her father's treasury. One of the ancient soarers appears to Mykella, t
Published November 3rd 2009 by Tor Books (first published November 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord-Protector's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord-Protector's Daughter

Jim
Dec 28, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read. I believe this is going to be a trilogy, the third one of the Corean Chronicles, but it takes place between the other two chronologically. It was a good story, with an interesting heroine & came to a good end - no hanging, which I appreciate. There are certainly unanswered questions & plenty of room to continue the story, but this one is complete in itself.

Once again, Modesitt looks at how power works within a society. In this case, our heroine is a woman in a male dom
Carien
Nov 17, 2010 Carien rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was one of the most boring reads ever I must confess. Don't get me wrong: this book has its merits: It's nicely written and the characters and setting are intriguing. The story itself however drags endlessly, not only because there's too much telling instead of showing, but also too much showing of things that don't matter. Almost every chapter began with telling that Mykella got up, got dressed, washed up and went to breakfast. I don't need to read something like that more than twice at th ...more
Yong En
Feb 01, 2015 Yong En rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I almost stopped reading this book, but I made myself continue. I didn't regret it because the ending was enjoyable, but the rest of it so-so.

The key issue with this book is how extremely mundane and repetitive it gets throughout. At least half the book could have been omitted. The existence of this book is necessary to set the tone and world for the next book, and to give it a fancy smacny title like "The Lady Protector" and in this it has done well through its ending.

In all honesty, you can ju
William Bentrim
Mar 12, 2015 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lord-Protector's Daughter by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This book is set before the first three books in the Corean Chronicles and after the next three. Court intrigue and succession are the major themes in this volume.

Mykel of the last few books is now a historic figure. The land that he undertook to protect has flourished but seems to be in a decline. The current Lord Protector does not seem to measure up to the Talent that Mykel displayed.

Mykella, a female namesake, is the protagonist in this boo
Fantasy Literature
According to the publisher’s blurb, The Lord-Protector’s Daughter is a “standalone fantasy.” Um... no. It most certainly is not. It’s book seven in L.E. Modesitt Jr’s COREAN CHRONICLES and while it’s true that it begins a new story that takes place a couple hundred years after the events of book six, it is the first part of a story that will be at least a duology set in Corus. So, you’re not going to get the full story about Mykella, its protagonist, unless you read its sequel, Lady Protector. I ...more
Dallas
Aug 20, 2013 Dallas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius and
Mel
Apparently I've read this before, but completely forgot everything about it and nothing seemed familiar about the book. However, I went to write a review here and discovered I'd already written one! Here is my newer review:

This is a newer book in the Corean Chronicles. It takes place several hundred years after Soarer's Choice. I've read the previous 6 books in the Chronicles and loved them, though now I realized I've forgotten quite a bit of them and want to reread them. This book was just okay
W.A.
I made it almost halfway through this before I finally gave up. This was a random grab off of a library shelf, and while some of the story premise was genuinely interesting, there was too much of the mundane going on.

Okay, I understand that Mykella sleeps and is tired. I understand she wears the same black clothes every day. I don't care what her underwear is made of. Her food is always cold. I get it. Doesn't mean I care to keep reading about it.

What I was most fed up with here, aside from the
M. Mcgriff
The beginning looked very promising. However I was 85 or so pages in and I was finding it difficult to keep reading. It wasn't because it was written poorly, but rather the storyline was going too much into the day to day personal activities of the main characters as opposed to advancing the storyline that had me intrigued in the beginning. After awhile I just put it down and moved on to my next read.
amanda
May 16, 2011 amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first began reading, I didn't really enjoy the way it was written. I thought some of the dialogue was stiff and so were the characters. As I continued to read, however, I gradually became sucked into the story and none of that seemed to matter as much. The plot is intriguing and the ancient magic is quite fun, and as soon as I can, I'm going to go back and read the books that I've missed, as this is my entryway into the series. A very cool read.
Chris
May 19, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Pretty good. Not one of his stronger works, but Modesitt does a decent job of translating his consistently male character into a female character in the already-plotted venue.

Most frustrating element: Mykella spends most of her time seeing things go entirely pear-shaped, but doing absolutely nothing about it.
Derek
Jul 22, 2010 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really do enjoy this world, and most of Mr. Modesitt's work, but this was a pretty weak entry. My brother would call it a money grab.

It referenced some of the earlier novels, but not to the point that you need to be brushed up on them to enjoy this one.

If you love the Corean Chronicles and want to take a couple of hours to revisit the world, this is a nice breezy read...
Tom Boshell
A good book within an interesting world a Modesitt type of character: underdog (also when it is a princess) having a coming-of-age and power challenge (magic is always and added plus). More of a build-up type of book for the next book, namely she finds her power and struggles with her place in life.
Mf
Sep 03, 2009 Mf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new entry point into the Corean Chronicles. It was a decent read but the book really just sets the stage/explains the backstory/Talent of the world, with a thin plot wrapped around it. I expect that there will be more books following this one, and those will focus more on plot and character development.
Craig
Aug 14, 2014 Craig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A bit better than 3 stars, but doesn't make 4. A somewhat weaker entry than most of the Corean books.

Re-read, 8/14. Again, not sure what I was thinking - down to 2 stars, just OK. Probably the worst book Modesitt's written.
Tobias Cooper
May 19, 2015 Tobias Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book. Following Modesitt's usual practice of jumping around in chronology and showing how history becomes myth.
Nice to see a fantasy with a female protagonist that avoids the tired romantic tropes that are so common in the genre.
Julie
May 21, 2013 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Eugene Tellier
Jul 14, 2015 Eugene Tellier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
It was a solid read, though I did find myself being biased by knowledge I had of the world from the other books that the lead character was slowly stumbling across or seemed to be actively avoiding.
Robert Mee
A good book, a bit out of the norm for the Corean Chronicles. I picked it up with the intent to read it, then put it down. Once I picked up the sequel, Lady-Protector, I knew I had to read this one. More like 3.5 stars, just because it seemed slower to get into than I would have liked.
Katie Loper
I normally love L.E. Modesitt Jr's books. This not as much. He took forever for the story to build up and then completely ended it without much action.
Henning
Mar 24, 2011 Henning rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
L.E. Modesitt Jr. is my favourite author, and this book was a huge disappointment. Nothing happens. It's boring.
Aaron
Oct 15, 2012 Aaron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main character learns how to use her powers way too quickly with no instruction, too repetitious. Although, it sounds like the next book in the series might be better.
Kevin
Feb 08, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fairly satisfying, with the same basic plot and characters as others by the author. The only difference was that it was a woman protagonist.
Manoj Srivastava
Jan 05, 2010 Manoj Srivastava rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't think Modesitt does women characters well -- this was a yawn inspiring book, where the heroine endured for the most while while doing little in response, unlike his other protagonists.
Jennavier
An enjoyable read for fans of Modesitt. There's not a lot too it plotwise, but the world is interesting and I liked the characters.
Frode
Jul 02, 2011 Frode rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Typical Modessit, lots of day to day mundane stuff with a little action thrown in. I thought it was ok.
David
Nov 29, 2008 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dad got this one from the library and loaned it to me while I was visiting home. It's heavy-handed and didactic, and I don't think I'd read it again -- but I did finish it, and I didn't hate it.
Fran
Apr 09, 2011 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fantasy
Typical Modesitt story. I very much enjoy reading what he writes, watching the lead character grow and develop her/his previously undreamt-of abilities and Talents.
Zarathos
Dec 23, 2008 Zarathos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like Modesitt's books... Yes, the plots & storylines are almost always the same, but that's probably why I like them...
Ricky Quintana
Ricky Quintana rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
  • A Magic of Nightfall (The Nessantico Cycle, #2)
  • Weavers of War (Winds of the Forelands, #5)
  • The Ninth Talisman (The Annals of the Chosen, #2)
  • One Jump Ahead (Jon & Lobo, #1)
  • I Conquer Britain
  • The Death of Nnanji (The Seventh Sword, #4)
  • Heir of Autumn (Heartstone Trilogy, #1)
  • House Name (The House War, #3)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • To Save a World (Darkover Omnibus, #7)
  • What to Do About Annie?
  • To Ride a Rathorn (Kencyrath, #4)
  • RuneWarriors (RuneWarriors, #1)
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • The Fortress of Glass
  • The Reluctant Sorcerer (Reluctant Sorcerer, #1)
  • The Shadow Roads (The Swans' War #3)
  • Duainfey (Duainfey, #1)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legacies (Corean Chronicles, #1)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)