Start by marking “The Christ of Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Christ of Christmas

The Christ of Christmas

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Christmas story evokes many touching images. Halos, fresh hay, shepherds carrying newborn lambs and young motherhood in blue homespun. It s enough to bring tears to the eyes of Christmastime churchgoers. But the Christmas story is more than sentimental - it is powerful. It deals with real people, it involves pain and it is one the most strikingly unusual stories in all...more
Published July 29th 2009 by P & R Publishing (first published October 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Christ of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christ of Christmas

Julie Biles
Honestly, my intention for reading this book at Christmastime was wrapped up in the idea that I desired to celebrate more thoughtfully the true meaning of Christmas and that desire was certainly encouraged in the quiet reading times stolen away from the crazy busyness of the season.
But surprised I was by the incredible depth of theological riches Boice packs into less than 200 pages!
"Christmas cries out,'Joy to the world!" Reading about the people of Christmas and the recorded words spoken abo...more
Mark A Powell
Culled from sermons preached around Christmas during the first twenty years of his ministry, this reprint from Boice provides useful insight into the way Scripture presents the birth of Christ. Boice looks at some lesser-known figures of the Christmas story and also adeptly fits the birth of Christ into context with His later death and resurrection. While not very in-depth, it remains a solid look at one of the single most important events in human history.
Angie Vallejo
Great book that gives more detailed information of the virgin birth and the people involved in the Christmas story. This is a compilation of some of his Christmas sermons, but they flow wonderfully together without repetition. I highly recommend this book any time of the year!
Evan G
I am glad i read this during the Christmas season. I helped me further understand the reason for Christ to come to Earth. I just put me in the right frame of mind for Christmas. I am glad it came to me when it did. Another great selection by AGO.
Jason
I liked this book very much. It gives enough detail without losing my interest. The explanation of the genealogies (Royal vs Legal) was the best I've seen so far.
Becky Pliego
Read it during the Advent of 2011.
Paul Medler
FINISHED READING
Tyrell Mentzer
Tyrell Mentzer marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Renee Polzin
Renee Polzin is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2014
Margaret Dyck
Margaret Dyck marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Derica Holden
Derica Holden is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2013
Brian Sommers
Brian Sommers marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Sarah Fowler
Sarah Fowler marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Boice received a diploma from The Stony Brook School (1956), an A.B. from Harvard University (1960), a B.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary (1963), a Th.D from the University of Basel in Switzerland (1966), and a D.D., (honorary) from the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Episcopal Church (1982).
More about James Montgomery Boice...
The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel Foundations of the Christian Faith Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace?: Recovering the Doctrines That Shook the World Romans: Volumes 1-4 The Parables of Jesus