Start by marking “The Christ of Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Christ of Christmas

The Christ of Christmas

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Christmas story evokes many touching images. Halos, fresh hay, shepherds carrying newborn lambs and young motherhood in blue homespun. It s enough to bring tears to the eyes of Christmastime churchgoers. But the Christmas story is more than sentimental - it is powerful. It deals with real people, it involves pain and it is one the most strikingly unusual stories in all ...more
Published July 29th 2009 by P & R Publishing (first published October 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Christ of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christ of Christmas

Julie Biles
Dec 20, 2015 Julie Biles rated it it was amazing
Honestly, my intention for reading this book at Christmastime was wrapped up in the idea that I desired to celebrate more thoughtfully the true meaning of Christmas and that desire was certainly encouraged in the quiet reading times stolen away from the crazy busyness of the season.
But surprised I was by the incredible depth of theological riches Boice packs into less than 200 pages!
"Christmas cries out,'Joy to the world!" Reading about the people of Christmas and the recorded words spoken abo
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it liked it
Culled from sermons preached around Christmas during the first twenty years of his ministry, this reprint from Boice provides useful insight into the way Scripture presents the birth of Christ. Boice looks at some lesser-known figures of the Christmas story and also adeptly fits the birth of Christ into context with His later death and resurrection. While not very in-depth, it remains a solid look at one of the single most important events in human history.
Angie Vallejo
Jan 14, 2016 Angie Vallejo rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Great book that gives more detailed information of the virgin birth and the people involved in the Christmas story. This is a compilation of some of his Christmas sermons, but they flow wonderfully together without repetition. I highly recommend this book any time of the year!
Evan G
Dec 27, 2012 Evan G rated it it was amazing
I am glad i read this during the Christmas season. I helped me further understand the reason for Christ to come to Earth. I just put me in the right frame of mind for Christmas. I am glad it came to me when it did. Another great selection by AGO.
Jason
Dec 23, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
I liked this book very much. It gives enough detail without losing my interest. The explanation of the genealogies (Royal vs Legal) was the best I've seen so far.
Becky Pliego
Dec 04, 2012 Becky Pliego rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, holidays
Read it during the Advent of 2011.
Paul Medler
FINISHED READING
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Monica Elim
Monica Elim is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Omar
Omar added it
Dec 18, 2015
Grace Todd
Grace Todd marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Jordan Francoeur
Jordan Francoeur marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Hal Ueland
Hal Ueland marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Jodi
Jodi added it
Sep 26, 2015
Ryan Johnson
Ryan Johnson rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Bernadette Rozier
Bernadette Rozier rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Teinolf
Teinolf rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Daniel Taylor
Daniel Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Ryan Grooms
Ryan Grooms marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Phoebe Anne
Phoebe Anne marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Sixstrung
Sixstrung rated it liked it
May 13, 2015
Theresa Moore
Theresa Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Kristina Stears
Kristina Stears rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Boice received a diploma from The Stony Brook School (1956), an A.B. from Harvard University (1960), a B.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary (1963), a Th.D from the University of Basel in Switzerland (1966), and a D.D., (honorary) from the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Episcopal Church (1982).
More about James Montgomery Boice...