Start by marking “Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride” as Want to Read:
Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride

Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  595 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Miss Christiana Daventry will do whatever it takes to keep from being thrown out on the streets--even accept the insufferably attractive Lord Braybrook's proposition!
Julian Trentham, Viscount Braybrook, urgently needs to hire a governess and companion, and Christy is conveniently available. Headstrong, with charmingly mismatched eyes and soft tawny hair, Christy is unlike
Published June 1st 2009 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride

Esra
Oct 16, 2014 Esra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin
Bundan önceki kitabın çevirisini gördükten sonra korkmuştum okumaya ama korkularım boşunaymış :D Lord Braybrook'u önceki kitaplardan merak ediyordum, canım yaa çok sevdim kendisini :D Kitabı da beğendim, hatta seride en çok bunu sevdim diyebilirim :)
Melissa
I had a nice long review here on why i didn't finish, but goodreads erased it. To sum it up the book bored me, the hero pissed me off, and the author was writing like bad fanfiction.
HÜLYA
Sep 04, 2012 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ana ve babaların suçlarını evlatlar çekermiş ne kadar da doğru bir deyim..Özellikle Hanımeli Kokusu'na cuk diyede uymuştu..
Christina Daventry 'de gayri meşru bir çocuk olmayı seçemezdi ki..Kardeşi Harry Daventry ile bir dükün gayri meşru çocuğu idiler..

Kimse ana ve babasını seçme lüksüne sahip değil di..Ama Chtisty'in oğlan kardeşinin niyeti asilzade bir kız ile evlenip köşeyi dönmekti..Sonu ne olursa olsun..Gözüne Lord Julian Trentam'ın üvey kız kardeşi Alicia'yı gözüne kestirmişti..Kendisini z
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
Jul 17, 2011 Melanie (Moviemavengal) rated it really liked it
I devoured this book. It's more of a 4 and a half star book. It has been a while since I stayed up so late reading a book and got quite teary-eyed in parts. The ending was a little weak for me, but thank God there was no birth epilogue at least. I also really appreciated the evolution of their sexual relationship. All was not fireworks and ecstasy from the very beginning, which I found much more realistic in a couple just learning how to be intimate just in talking with each other. The misunders ...more
Ali
Aug 17, 2014 Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was willing to overlook the excessive description of the country air, birdsong, etc. as well as the serious want of conflict because I liked the characters. Julian is more-or-less standard, as far as heroes are concerned, but opposite Christy, he charmed me. Unfortunately, Christy loses her defining characteristic--that is, her spark--and her agency immediately after their wedding. I realize she feels indebted to Julian and anyone would feel more vulnerable naked than clothed in a half-dozen u ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Read as part of the new edition, Regency Marriages from Harlequin UK, full review to follow.

Elizabeth Rolls was an author I cut my romance-reading teeth on, and while her high levels of angst and Big Misunderstandings might be something that some readers cringe from, I slurp them up with a big spoon.

Full review to follow, 4/5 Stars
Cherie
Jan 11, 2016 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I've read two books in a row by this author I noticed a pattern. At about three quarters the story stalls. Then a crisis happens which allows the couple to have a happily ever after.

This wasn't bad. The supporting characters were interesting. Julian is certainly a devoted brother and step-son. He and Christy meet because of her brother's interest in his half-sister but that sideshow disappeared once Julian and Christy marry. They end up marrying because he wasn't able to keep his lips to
Patricia Burroughs
I picked this up (or rather, downloaded it to my Kindle) because I noticed it was nominated for a Rita this year for Best Regency Romance and was frankly simply curious. The story was strong and the hero and heroine both had to grow and change. I like that the hero was very much of his time and had the prejudices and expectations of a man of his position.
Janet
May 17, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wealthy viscount and a penniless governess -- isn't that the biggest Regency cliche going: but Rolls makes it fresh. Also liked the closer-than-usual view of the ramifications of illegitimacy. Slight problem: time was a bit fluid -- one example, they went from engaged to married seemingly in a page. But that's minor.
kris
May 09, 2014 kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Braybrook doesn't want his sister to marry this dude, Harry, so he goes to Harry's hometown to scope him out. Meets his sister, Christy, and immediately hires her as a hybrid companion/governess because REASONS. So he's all like 'WHY AM I SO INTO HER' and she's like "HELL NO I WON'T BE YOUR MISTRESS' and they end up married, of course, and then unnecessary drama, hea, etc.

I DON'T KNOW. I enjoyed bits of the dialogues between the heroine and hero--some of the preconceived notions about wives ver
Shelley
Julian's trying to get his younger half-sister to quit taking up with a completely wrong for her guy, and hires his sister to be his stepmother's companion/other siblings' governess. Sparks fly, etc etc. Basically, I liked all of the characters very much and I am glad they are happy. Though I'm not sure the sister plot really got resolved - she got sent away post-reveal of Big Flaw and doesn't seem to have realized Julian ignored the exact same flaw? Oh, well. Nice people, managed to talk about ...more
Cialina (Muggle-Born)
Heroine: It took me a while to figure out why this book was just meh. Then it hit me. I was really flustered by the main character. In the beginning of the novel, Julian kept repeating on just how feisty Christy was, but as the novel progressed, I couldn’t help but feel the complete opposite. Sure, she has a mouth on her, but I feel like she never really stands up for herself whenever Julian is involved.

Hero: As far as Julian goes, he’s nothing special for a male protagonist. I like that he’s qu
Isabella Kai
Christy reminds me of a girl scout; smart, resourceful and level-headed. She knows what she has to do it and she does it. She’s kind and she doesn’t hesitate to express that kindness no matter who it is. She has a way of doing things and I like that she’s no push-over. She’s definitely not some simpering woman who waits to be saved. Christy is Christy. And she saves herself. Christy has some confidence issues that could be solved by someone who’s confident and doesn’t second guess himself like B ...more
Qing
Jan 13, 2014 Qing rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

What I was really, really glad for in this book is the lack of drawn out misunderstood circumstances. A few were resolved within a chapter, and others took longer, but I felt they took the necessary time to come to a resolution (obviously some serious situations can't be resolved too quickly, otherwise we'd complain the story felt rushed, etc).

I also thought the difference in classes, especially through subconscious acts / words, was handled quite well. Julian could not help thinking th
Natasha Chowdory
Yes yes I know.

It happened because my boyfriend and I had to go to the laundrette and I didn't have a book with me, so had to raid the laundrette bookshelf. This was the best they had - that wasn't Readers Digest or a book about golf. It was passable I suppose.

And yet, yet *still better* than 50 Shades of Grey. Truth.
Rachel
Mar 15, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a boring story! Julian could have went somewhere in the story. But Christy was sooo boring! I never warmed up to her either. She was weak, reminded me of another Bella! I don't like the total he-bitches either, but she was drab. And the whole plot was boring. Was no good juicy subplot to keep you going. I kept waiting for the climax that never came. Even the first night they shared a bed was boring!
Hopefulpuffin
I enjoyed this one. It started with a traditional plot, had a twist that could have been something more than what it turned out to be.

I will say, it was almost two different books. It began with snappy dialogue between the H & h and moved to melodrama in the second half. I wish there was more closure regarding the H's eldest sister.

Certainly better than many I've read lately.
BonnieL
I really ennjoyed this series and wish I could have given a 3.5 rating to all of them. The author perfectly captured the ingrained social mores that made it difficult for the aristocracy to consider those of the lower social orders as equals. The stories were made more interesting by following their struggles to overcome these prejudices - so much more realistic that the usual Cinderella story of the highest-ranking aristocrat who marries the commoner and gives no thought to the inevitable socia ...more
Farindra
hmm gambarnya doang yang bagus ceritanya gak seseru dan setrenyuh his lady mistress. tapi kasih sayang braybrook pada adik2 tirinya patut diacungi jempol
Liz Needle
Jul 30, 2013 Liz Needle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading Elizabeth Rolls' regency romances because they are always carefull researched and well written, which is more than I can say for many of this genre that I have read. This one is no exception. As always Elizabeth Rolls writes about issues and the social (or anti-social) beliefs and attitudes that were important at the time. This story deals with illegitimacy and the attitudes of the socially 'elite ' towards the children born out of wedlock.
The book is a romance with a fair dash o
Regina
Aug 09, 2015 Regina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
babyfishmouth
I got this on my Kindle and read it in one sitting. It was great! I'm a sucker for penniless heroines as it's a condition I've frequently found myself. I liked the dialogue between the h/h and humor. The kids in the story weren't overly prominent which I also appreciated.

I don't normally read Regencies and I've never read anything by this author before. I may have to find her backlist and start downloading them.

Rachel
Apr 13, 2010 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I thought this was horribly written with a really stale plot. There was never really in rise and fall in the storyline and it just kind of ended. I don't think this one is worth the your time despite having enjoyed some of Rolls other novels. This one just seemed like she needed to give Braybook a story since he was mentioned in other books but didn't really know what she wanted that story to be in the end.
Kirsti
Apr 22, 2012 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story kept us going with one of the characters we have seen in previous books, Julian Trentham, Viscount Braybrook, and introduced a new female for him to seduce and love. I enjoyed the continuation of his character, and finding out his story. It was as good, if not better, than all the books I've read in the regency collection so far. Five stars, and I'm so glad I still have more in this collection to go!
Kimberly
Jun 05, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Ah, the historical romance novel. My first love in the romance novel world. I had discovered Elizabeth Rolls when one of her novels was offered for free as a nookbook. This is my third read by her and she does not disappoint. I really enjoyed this story of a viscount who marries a poor, illegitimate woman. It's full of heartaching misunderstandings between the hero and heroine, but has a satisfying, happy-ending.
Amy
May 12, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Miss Christina Daventry will do whatever she must to avoid being thrown into the streets.

So, instead, she is thrown into the path of Julian Trentham, Viscount Braybrook as a governess and companion.

These two have excellent chemistry and it's exciting to watch their attraction sizzle and their passion explode!
Caitlyn
I enjoyed the story, but not as much as I did previous works. That could very well be because I've been on a reading binge with this particular genre and author and sometimes I "burn myself out." The story was pleasing and the characters engaging. I would most definitely read this author again.
Jaime
Feb 06, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the finer Regencies I've encountered. I became very caught up in it. I like that Elizabeth Rolls tends more toward Austen than most, in that her characters aren't bursting with modern sensibilities or behaving too far outside the norm for their times.
Carol
Jul 22, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the right balance of history, humor, romance, and love scenes. What more could you ask of a Harlequin Historical romance? A strong heroine and a handsome hero with no trumpedup intrigues, just the pitfalls of a period marriage. Very satisfying ending.
Kathi Sharp
Aug 28, 2010 Kathi Sharp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
After I read the first two chapters I realized that I've read this book before. I'd just not recorded that on Goodreads. Couldn't put it down though so I read it through again. Just as good the second time.
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • The Shy Duchess
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2)
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • Unveiled (Ashton/Rosemoor, #2)
  • Taming Her Irish Warrior
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • Voices of the Night (Signet Eclipse) (Night, #4)
  • Gentlemen Behaving Badly (Pleasure Emporium, #2)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Sold and Seduced
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • Master of Sin (Courtesan Court, #4)
  • The Earl's Dilemma
We live in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia, in a beautiful lush valley full of apple, pear and cherry orchards. We moved here a couple of years back, escaping from the city and it’s just gorgeous. The property is small, only five acres, but we have room for two small noisy boys, three dogs, two cats and several woolly things masquerading a environmentally friendly lawnmowers. Before that we ...more
More about Elizabeth Rolls...