Start by marking “Defiance” as Want to Read:
Defiance

Defiance (Navy Justice #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  465 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The murder of an international attorney, the posturing of a power-hungry politician, the schemes of a psychotic stalker, and the high-stakes drama of a daring rescue mission: Navy JAG Lieutenant Commander Zack Brewer is in the spotlight and the danger zone.
Published July 13th 2009 by Zondervan (first published February 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Defiance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiance

Katy
Jul 28, 2014 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole Naval Justice series was an interesting read but not as good as some other military suspense books I've read. I like the author's writing style. The big issue I have with this third book is that the storyline with Senator Claxton was never really resolved. She was a major part of the story and there is a big ordeal to move Zach so she can't have him killed; so to end her part of the story by saying Wendy beat her in court is a major let-down that left a bunch of loose ends. Why was Jac ...more
Jerry
Jun 18, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some surprising twists and turns in this third volume.
Victor Gentile
Aug 12, 2015 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don Brown in his new book, “Defiance” Book Three in the Navy Justice series published by Zondervan gives us an adventure with Zack Brewer.

From the back cover: JAG Officer Zack Brewer faces another high profile case…and a mission he hopes will rescue the best part of his past.

From a murder in Paris to a courtroom in California to a terrorist camp in the Gobi Desert, Don Brown’s follow-up to Treason and Hostage plunges into a suspense-filled journey of danger, duty, and hope.

Shannon McGilverry, an
George
Mar 23, 2016 George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author was a Navy JAG and can't see past that experience. If he'd just stick to lawyering, this book might be OK. However, he ignores the other Services in operations and JCS/POTUS deliberations, making that part of the book unbelievable. To further exacerbate the irritation, he hired a Brit narrator, James Adams. Adams just does not sound USN and the accent grates...I'd believe Royal Navy. The characters fit their roles and the female politician running for President seems so much like, wel ...more
Allen
Oct 31, 2014 Allen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book has a reasonable plot, the number of errors I encountered put this book in the unpublishable category. It needs to be recalled by Zondervan and run through an editor that knows about sailboats, another editor familiar with aircraft carrier operations, a proofreader and a formatter. "service" and its derivatives was consistently spelled "ser vice". If this was deliberate it needs a footnote saying why, because it certainly didn't make any sense to me. The carriage returns in th ...more
Esteban
Jul 03, 2014 Esteban rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this one a big 0 if I could. Fault lies with me, I know, I keep picking up bad books.
I am fairly religious but I found the constant "prayers" of the characters annoying, most of them (and I am truly happy for them too) found God, even after years of denying him because it was the chic thing to do (sic).
The politics I also found tried my patience, all very black and white.
And the gay trial was a big "WHY?" where does it fit with the story, don't ask-don't tell should have been the author
Tamara Tilley
Jan 23, 2016 Tamara Tilley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Don Brown definitely has the inside track writing about a Navy JAG officer, since he himself was a JAG officer for five years. DEFIANCE is the third installment in The Navy Justice Series. It follows the career of JAG Officer Zack Brewer through the up and down battles of devotion to country and personal loss at the hands of those who threaten the U.S. The authenticity of the story is its strong point. The lingo,terminology and the details given to specific events are what make this book so intr ...more
Gophergirl58
May 10, 2015 Gophergirl58 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sue Mattocks
Apr 12, 2015 Sue Mattocks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping Story

I read all three books in this saga. Each was very well written and kept my attention from beginning to end.
Mylaine Lafrance
It was a good story and I did enjoy it... Too bad the French language was butchered during the writing.
SAP
Feb 24, 2016 SAP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ripped from the headlines

An exciting and well written fictional drama highlighting what our nation could be under the right leadership. Hoorah!
JAG at its best.
Mirah W
Book 3- More political commentary in this novel compared to the other two. More Republican vs Democrat and Conservative vs. Liberal viewpoints. I don't really like how almost everyone seems to be in a good or bad camp...there were only a few characters who dealt with being some place in the middle. The plot of the series is tied up nicely by the end of this novel. I think the author should dedicate more to events in the book as opposed to the constant internal questioning of the characters.
Libby Sellers
Aug 27, 2015 Libby Sellers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, scribd
This is the third in the Navy Justice trilogy which portrays what could happen if radical Islamic terrorist infiltrated the U.S. Navy. Well written from a strong Christian worldview. It kept both my husband and m y interest

This book is from Scribd- For a free 60 day free trial use the following referral link-
Cherie
Jun 12, 2013 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continued to very much enjoy #3 of the Navy Jag officers verses the terrorists. This one deals with a second kidnapping and a daring rescue mission which Navy Lt. Commander Zach Brewer participates. These books, while very compelling and thrilling, are completely clean with no bad language and even a definite Christian flavor. I liked them very much.
stormhawk
Mar 14, 2010 stormhawk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The Third, but hopefully not final, book of the Navy Justice Series features a Hillary-like Senator questing for the Presidency, who I suspect will make a reappearance should the series continue. In addition to the legal elements of the story that are core elements of these books, there's a goodly bit of action and adventure to keep things moving along.
Acarrawa
Aug 05, 2010 Acarrawa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one will keep you reading - it's hard to put down. If you like military legal thrillers, this is a good choice. The author manages to give the reader a realistic picture while keeping the novel clean - great job there! I would have liked to see more emphasis on God and Scripture. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Marcia Stauber
Jan 01, 2011 Marcia Stauber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent book the final book in the series a good ending to the series. worth the time and effort to buy the whole series although there is a lot of repetetion with the characters faith moments so you have to realize this is a christian faith series book. that said it certainly is a good story line and a fun read.
Jan
Mar 16, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in the Navy Justice Series. You must read Treason and Hostage first to truly appreciate this book. Enjoyed the court-room aspects, but loved the plotting, with a little bit of romance and a whole lot of suspense and action. Escape fiction at it's best. Don't plan to do much if you start reading the series.
Amber Moore
Well these books go back and forth on good and not so great! I Started this one with enjoyment but towards the middle it kinda dragged. You Zach and all his ladies! Poor guy is still heart broken over Diane though. You will have to see what happens, ;)
Bruce
This is the best book of the series. It was almost like he was using the first two books to set this one up. The action was nonstop and the plot was amazing. I recommend this book and the series to all who like this genre.
Larry
May 24, 2010 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in this series entitled "The Navy Justice Series". I really enjoyed all of them. See my review on Hostage by Don Brown which is more detail. A new book in this series, "The Malacca Cnspiracy" is due out in June 2010.
Kathleen Anderson
Feb 10, 2010 Kathleen Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this is fiction, I kept thinking how these things could actually happen and it's kind of scary. I really got "sucked in", you know, when you don't want to be distracted because you want to know what happens.
R Bartel
May 01, 2011 R Bartel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, intrigue
As with the rest of this series - tremendous!
Marie
Mar 05, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was an enjoyable series.
Nadine
Nadine rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2016
Shelann
Shelann marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
LyrMrkn
LyrMrkn rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Brandon Potter
Brandon Potter rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
  • Primitive
  • Exposure
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Strings Attached  (Tales from Ballena Beach, #1)
  • Deadlock
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Tumor
  • Vanish
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Raising Jake
  • Blaze of Glory (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #2)
  • The Mark (Henry Parker, #1)
  • Boob Tube
  • Edge of Apocalypse (The End, #1)

DON BROWN, a former U.S. Navy JAG Officer, is the author of Zondervan’s riveting NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. a dynamic storyline chronicling the life and adventures of JAG officer ZACK BREWER. In 2003, Don began writing TREASON, his first novel in the NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. After TREASON was published to rave reviews in
More about Don Brown...

Navy Justice (4 books)
  • Treason (Navy Justice #1)
  • Hostage (Navy Justice #2)
  • Black Sea Affair