Start by marking “Defiance” as Want to Read:
Defiance

Defiance (Navy Justice #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The murder of an international attorney, the posturing of a power-hungry politician, the schemes of a psychotic stalker, and the high-stakes drama of a daring rescue mission: Navy JAG Lieutenant Commander Zack Brewer is in the spotlight and the danger zone.
Published July 13th 2009 by Zondervan (first published February 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Defiance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiance

Katy
The whole Naval Justice series was an interesting read but not as good as some other military suspense books I've read. I like the author's writing style. The big issue I have with this third book is that the storyline with Senator Claxton was never really resolved. She was a major part of the story and there is a big ordeal to move Zach so she can't have him killed; so to end her part of the story by saying Wendy beat her in court is a major let-down that left a bunch of loose ends. Why was Jac ...more
Allen
Although this book has a reasonable plot, the number of errors I encountered put this book in the unpublishable category. It needs to be recalled by Zondervan and run through an editor that knows about sailboats, another editor familiar with aircraft carrier operations, a proofreader and a formatter. "service" and its derivatives was consistently spelled "ser vice". If this was deliberate it needs a footnote saying why, because it certainly didn't make any sense to me. The carriage returns in th ...more
Esteban
I'd give this one a big 0 if I could. Fault lies with me, I know, I keep picking up bad books.
I am fairly religious but I found the constant "prayers" of the characters annoying, most of them (and I am truly happy for them too) found God, even after years of denying him because it was the chic thing to do (sic).
The politics I also found tried my patience, all very black and white.
And the gay trial was a big "WHY?" where does it fit with the story, don't ask-don't tell should have been the author
Tamara
Don Brown definitely has the inside track writing about a Navy JAG officer, since he himself was a JAG officer for five years. DEFIANCE is the third installment in The Navy Justice Series. It follows the career of JAG Officer Zack Brewer through the up and down battles of devotion to country and personal loss at the hands of those who threaten the U.S. The authenticity of the story is its strong point. The lingo,terminology and the details given to specific events are what make this book so intr ...more
Mirah W
Book 3- More political commentary in this novel compared to the other two. More Republican vs Democrat and Conservative vs. Liberal viewpoints. I don't really like how almost everyone seems to be in a good or bad camp...there were only a few characters who dealt with being some place in the middle. The plot of the series is tied up nicely by the end of this novel. I think the author should dedicate more to events in the book as opposed to the constant internal questioning of the characters.
Cherie
I continued to very much enjoy #3 of the Navy Jag officers verses the terrorists. This one deals with a second kidnapping and a daring rescue mission which Navy Lt. Commander Zach Brewer participates. These books, while very compelling and thrilling, are completely clean with no bad language and even a definite Christian flavor. I liked them very much.
stormhawk
The Third, but hopefully not final, book of the Navy Justice Series features a Hillary-like Senator questing for the Presidency, who I suspect will make a reappearance should the series continue. In addition to the legal elements of the story that are core elements of these books, there's a goodly bit of action and adventure to keep things moving along.
Acarrawa
This one will keep you reading - it's hard to put down. If you like military legal thrillers, this is a good choice. The author manages to give the reader a realistic picture while keeping the novel clean - great job there! I would have liked to see more emphasis on God and Scripture. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Marcia Stauber
excellent book the final book in the series a good ending to the series. worth the time and effort to buy the whole series although there is a lot of repetetion with the characters faith moments so you have to realize this is a christian faith series book. that said it certainly is a good story line and a fun read.
Jan
The third in the Navy Justice Series. You must read Treason and Hostage first to truly appreciate this book. Enjoyed the court-room aspects, but loved the plotting, with a little bit of romance and a whole lot of suspense and action. Escape fiction at it's best. Don't plan to do much if you start reading the series.
Amber Moore
Well these books go back and forth on good and not so great! I Started this one with enjoyment but towards the middle it kinda dragged. You Zach and all his ladies! Poor guy is still heart broken over Diane though. You will have to see what happens, ;)
Bruce
This is the best book of the series. It was almost like he was using the first two books to set this one up. The action was nonstop and the plot was amazing. I recommend this book and the series to all who like this genre.
Larry
The third in this series entitled "The Navy Justice Series". I really enjoyed all of them. See my review on Hostage by Don Brown which is more detail. A new book in this series, "The Malacca Cnspiracy" is due out in June 2010.
Kathleen Anderson
Though this is fiction, I kept thinking how these things could actually happen and it's kind of scary. I really got "sucked in", you know, when you don't want to be distracted because you want to know what happens.
R Bartel
As with the rest of this series - tremendous!
Marie
Was an enjoyable series.
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Erin Coleman emry
Erin Coleman emry marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Patricia Mccormick
Patricia Mccormick marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Kathi Droskinis
Kathi Droskinis marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jenni Shaw-olsen
Jenni Shaw-olsen marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Exposure
  • Primitive
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • Hostile Intent (Delvin, #1)
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Vanish
  • Strings Attached  (Strings Attached, #1)
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Southern Storm (Cape Refuge Series, #2)
  • Edge of Apocalypse (The End Series #1)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Mark (Henry Parker, #1)
  • Certain Jeopardy (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #1)
  • Deadlock
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)

DON BROWN, a former U.S. Navy JAG Officer, is the author of Zondervan’s riveting NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. a dynamic storyline chronicling the life and adventures of JAG officer ZACK BREWER. In 2003, Don began writing TREASON, his first novel in the NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. After TREASON was published to rave reviews in
More about Don Brown...
Treason (Navy Justice #1) Hostage (Navy Justice #2) The Malacca Conspiracy Black Sea Affair (Navy Justice #4) Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)