Start by marking “Inhuman Resources (OSI, #3)” as Want to Read:
Inhuman Resources (OSI, #3)

Inhuman Resources (OSI #3)

When a powerful necromancer is killed, Occult Special Investigator Tess Corday must handle the heavy politics in the occult community as carefully as she handles the scant evidence. But with her sometime lover Lucian Agrado representing the necromancers in the grisly matter, things are about to get out of control...fast.
Published May 25th 2010 by Ace (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Inhuman Resources, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inhuman Resources

Alice Liu
Aug 02, 2013 Alice Liu rated it really liked it
This book was a bit more procedural-based than action-based compared to the previous two books in the series: I do love the C.S.I. (OSI) evidence and explanations, but I ultimately prefer my urban fantasy to resolve itself through choice and action. The first 2/3 of the book was great, but when Tess goes into a different realm (Lucien's home base) for help and information, there is suddenly several chapters of high fantasy world building. And the world is beautiful. The problem is that nothing r ...more
Emily
Apr 17, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it
Oh. wow. And not in a good way. I am so lost I can't even go any further. Honestly, I'm about fifty pages in and I have no idea what's going on.

First, I have no idea what status the supernatural holds in this author's world. Are they commonly known by the general population? Is this a secret world? Considering how the book begins this information is a really important omission. What are the character relationships? It's really hard to tell.

I don't think this is just a serious failing on the par
Amber
Oct 06, 2016 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
One star deduction for abrupt ending that is the worst of cliffhangers. It's okay to leave questions and a sense of "what now?" but not to literally leave the book with no denouement at all.

Still, I enjoy the series.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
"Jesus, look at that."
"What?"
"The couch."
"It's clean."
"I know. It's just so ugly."
"Is it from IKEA?"
"Urban Barn. I recognized it from the catalogue."
"We have an Urban Barn catalogue?"
"Yea, we got it in the mail."
"When?"
"Thursday."
"Oh my god.....how gay are you? Did you actually hide the Urban Barn catalogue from me so you could read it first?"

Occult Special Investigator Tess Corday has survived certain death only to gain a few additional "responsibilities". So between kids, dogs, an
Dr susan
Feb 22, 2014 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
Last week I got a desire for some OSI. I read book #2, then #4 and #5. Of course, I had to read #1 and #3 again. If nothing else, I can write a review for the books to which I only gave ratings.
You know that a book is good when you cannot put it down, even though you have read it at least twice. Inhuman Resources is that kind of book. Tess's family has normal problems blended with the magical ones, and sometimes the blend is comical, sometimes sad, and sometimes tragic. This book deals with Tess
May 14, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
What a great book! I'm not sure what it is about the characters or the world building, but I love it. The story is original and the characters are fantastic.

Tess is faced with yet another mystery to solve. Good thing she has such great friends to draw on for support - best friend Derrick, Derrick's boyfriend Miles, Mia - semi adopted daughter, Patrick - vampire magnate/semi adopted son, and boyfriend Lucian.

Old villains show again, new alliances are forged and the stage is set for yet another ad
Mara
May 21, 2012 Mara rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3 1/2 stars (update)

I read this book while I was in Vancouver, BC. Even if it's the third in a series, I was able to follow the storyline. Clearly there were references to the other 2 books I didn't get, but I still think it was easy enough to get into this world.

Updated on 06/25/2012
I re-read this book after the first 2 and clearly it's much better this way. The series has a full story arch that you'll miss otherwise. Many details add depth to the story and characters.

The strength of this seri
Julia
Dec 19, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it
Okay. Jes Battis is now one of the finds of 2010 for me (along with Devon Monk). Tess is sympathetic but believably flawed. Her narrative voice is sufficiently distinctive and quirky, but without being annoying. Supporting characters continue to provide able support. I will definitely continue to purchase books in this series.
Ron
Murder! Tess Corday and the OSI team have a murder/mystery to solve in the case of necromancer killed under a famous picture wearing priceless armor. Like most police procedurals, the devil is in the details and can be very hard to pick out, especially when sources keep clamming up and officers are under attack. But in the end, Tess comes up with a wacky idea that opens up the case. As is customary in this series, there is a big fight right at the end. In this case, tying up loose ends from Nigh ...more
Glennis
May 03, 2012 Glennis rated it it was ok
The third book in the series really starts to explain more about the necromancers in this world and the ideas are pretty cool. The main mystery is trying to figure out who killed a high ranking necromancer and having to do the investigation when no one wants any non necromancer in their society. I didn't care for the ending that much but I'll give the next book in the series a go since I like the setting and the overall story arc is interesting.
Kathleen Burket
Dec 15, 2009 Kathleen Burket rated it it was amazing
Completed Inhuman Resources (Occult Special Investigations, Book 3) by Jes Battis. Best book yet in Battis’ OSI series. Included a visit to Trinovantum, the hidden extradimensional city of the Necromancers. Extraordinarily imaginative. My only regret with this series is that we have to wait a year between volumes.
Jacqueline
As the main character is learning Spanish, there's more of that language than I would've expected in a book set in Canada. *grumble* I've kept a tab open on my comp to an online translation site while reading this...though sometimes, that wasn't necessarily all that helpful either...heh.
☀Rachael☀
Apr 19, 2014 ☀Rachael☀ rated it liked it
Finally finished!! I'm gonna give it 3-3.5*'s I like Tess, Miles, Derrick, Selena, Becka, Lucian, Mia and Patrick and the way that they snipe and bounce off each other! I like the action! Tess and Lucian relationship is annoying now and so were the dreams! I won't rush to read the next one!
Christine Hayes
Mar 04, 2015 Christine Hayes rated it liked it
Am really enjoying this series. Find out more about necromancers and it is amazing. Plan on reading "Infernal Affairs" soon.
Ariel
This was an improvement over the first two. The relationship stuff was a little rocky but the worldbuilding was lovely and the pacing seemed a little better.
Diana Bringardner
Nov 10, 2010 Diana Bringardner rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this so much more than I thought I would. Intend to search out the first two and catch up on the characters.
Kristin
Jun 02, 2010 Kristin rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
Read from 5/24 - 5/26.

Inconsistent story or crappy editing? Hard to tell.
Mary Roya
Mar 10, 2012 Mary Roya rated it it was amazing
I have read the full series and I enjoyed the ending. His stories full of action mystery and keep you guessing.
Allie V
Sep 13, 2010 Allie V rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, vampires, demons
Totally love this series, i cannot wait for his next book when it does come out. The books just get better and better.
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Rebel
Rebel rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Lara
Lara rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Rich Sidney
Rich Sidney rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Mshenryfool
Mshenryfool rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2014
Joshua Berkey
Joshua Berkey rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Tia
Tia rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2011
Cheryl Medley
Cheryl Medley rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2011
Scott Redmond
Scott Redmond rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2011
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Love on the Run (Nola O'Grady, #4)
  • Revenant (Zoe Martinique, #4)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • The Golden Age of Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #5)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
  • Chosen (Anna Strong Chronicles, #6)
  • A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3)
  • Unchained (The Dark Forgotten, #3)
  • Dying Echo (Grim Reaper Mystery, #4)
  • Face Off (Laura Blackstone, #2)
  • Queen's Hunt (River of Souls, #2)
  • Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
  • Blood Heat (Blood Lines #4)
  • Honeyed Words (Sarah Beauhall #2)
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
Jes Battis was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1979. In addition to writing fiction, he has also published academic books and a variety of scholarly articles in the areas of fantasy, television, and queer studies.

He earned his PhD in English from Simon Fraser University in the Summer of 2007. He teaches in the Department of English at the University of Regina.

He also writes as Bailey Cunn
More about Jes Battis...

OSI (5 books)
  • Night Child (OSI, #1)
  • A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2)
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)
  • Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)