3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From one of the top rock band poster artists in the country comes a collection of evocative images of 26 of rock music's most recognized icons. Starting with AC/DC's familiar lightning bolts and ending with ZZ Top's custom Ford coupe, this alphabetical retrospective of more than four decades of rock history will inspire music lovers of all ages.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published October 12th 2010 by Tricycle Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The ABCs of Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ABCs of Rock

Caroline
Great for introducing 21st century kids to some REAL rockers! We're talkin' old school here, folks. One band or singer is introduced per letter, leaving plenty of room to argue about which acts should have been included. Illustrations are neon bright and resemble album covers and tour posters. Kids think they're crazy and weird but are definitely intrigued! When combined with snippets of matching songs, this book works great along with rock trivia and "name that tune" games.
Jen V
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars for this book - I love the artwork, love the bands that are represented - but an alphabet book is usually for little kiddos and I don't know if I would read this to my almost kindergartner or if he would even remotely understand if I did read it to him. It's more of an ABC book for teens/adults...and then it makes me go back to the fact that ABC books are usually for kids. I'm just confused.
Marguarite Markley
I really love the illustrations for this alphabet book. Each letter is represented by a different rock band. Most bands are not recognizable by children who need alphabet books...but the parents (or grandparents) will definitely recognize them. Some kids who play Guitar Hero/Rock Band may be familiar with the bands. But, it doesn't matter, because the book is so fabulously illustrated that it is unnecessary to know the bands. I plan to use it with school age children this summer and have them cr...more
Kristy
An art book, not a reading book.
This is probably more of an adult or teen audience picture book, but the album cover style illustrations and basic ABC format could make it appealing to certain children, particularly if they have rocker moms or dads. From relative newcomers like the White Stripes to living legends like Neil Young, the ABCs of Rock is inclusive in it's selection of bands and musicians. There's probably at least one artist in here that you like.
Beth

I'm a bit perplexed by this book. It's supposedly for kids but the artwork and lack of explanation on each page makes me think that kids will have no interest in all these classic rock bands and musicians. It seems more like an appropriate gift for an adult music-lover than a kid. This COULD have great potential as a picture book app if each page played a snippet of the band/ musician's work.
Shanshad Whelan
Although this is shelved with children's picture books at my library, it is clearly meant for adults who will recognize the art and names of rock artists. A great gift book for the parent who grew up in the 70s and 80s. I'm quite tickled by it.
Kelsey
Although this book is fun, it is a little too loud to properly teach the ABCs to beginning readers. Also, a younger audience will not be familiar with most band references.
Mrs. Nelson's
With a cover blurb from Iggy Pop, this atypical alphabet book may have the only reference to the band X in a children’s book.

--Review by Andrea
E
Best book ever as a gift for kids - ABCs with your favorite 90s alternative rock band (i.e. E = Elvis Costello, etc.)
Colby Sharp
I loved it, but I'm not thinking kids will get all that into the artists featured throughout the book.
Tonya
Super cute for any rock lover-
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Eme Kalu
Eme Kalu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
Paul  Hankins
Paul Hankins marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2012
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2012