Start by marking “The ABCs of Rock” as Want to Read:
The ABCs of Rock

The ABCs of Rock

From one of the top rock band poster artists in the country comes a collection of evocative images of 26 of rock music's most recognized icons. Starting with AC/DC's familiar lightning bolts and ending with ZZ Top's custom Ford coupe, this alphabetical retrospective of more than four decades of rock history will inspire music lovers of all ages.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published October 12th 2010 by Tricycle Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The ABCs of Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ABCs of Rock

Jen V
Jun 06, 2012 Jen V rated it really liked it
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars for this book - I love the artwork, love the bands that are represented - but an alphabet book is usually for little kiddos and I don't know if I would read this to my almost kindergartner or if he would even remotely understand if I did read it to him. It's more of an ABC book for teens/adults...and then it makes me go back to the fact that ABC books are usually for kids. I'm just confused.
Caroline
Aug 09, 2011 Caroline rated it liked it
Great for introducing 21st century kids to some REAL rockers! We're talkin' old school here, folks. One band or singer is introduced per letter, leaving plenty of room to argue about which acts should have been included. Illustrations are neon bright and resemble album covers and tour posters. Kids think they're crazy and weird but are definitely intrigued! When combined with snippets of matching songs, this book works great along with rock trivia and "name that tune" games.
Marguarite Markley
I really love the illustrations for this alphabet book. Each letter is represented by a different rock band. Most bands are not recognizable by children who need alphabet books...but the parents (or grandparents) will definitely recognize them. Some kids who play Guitar Hero/Rock Band may be familiar with the bands. But, it doesn't matter, because the book is so fabulously illustrated that it is unnecessary to know the bands. I plan to use it with school age children this summer and have them cr ...more
Beth
Jun 06, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

I'm a bit perplexed by this book. It's supposedly for kids but the artwork and lack of explanation on each page makes me think that kids will have no interest in all these classic rock bands and musicians. It seems more like an appropriate gift for an adult music-lover than a kid. This COULD have great potential as a picture book app if each page played a snippet of the band/ musician's work.
This is probably more of an adult or teen audience picture book, but the album cover style illustrations and basic ABC format could make it appealing to certain children, particularly if they have rocker moms or dads. From relative newcomers like the White Stripes to living legends like Neil Young, the ABCs of Rock is inclusive in it's selection of bands and musicians. There's probably at least one artist in here that you like.
JAnn Bowers
Jan 10, 2017 JAnn Bowers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short read about some of the greatest rock songs and album covers. I really enjoyed this short read for one I am a lover of rock music and they had some of my favorites in the book. It was interesting to hear the writer's side of what the album covers meant to them and what their favorite song was.
Shanshad Whelan
Aug 02, 2011 Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Although this is shelved with children's picture books at my library, it is clearly meant for adults who will recognize the art and names of rock artists. A great gift book for the parent who grew up in the 70s and 80s. I'm quite tickled by it.
Colby Sharp
Jun 19, 2012 Colby Sharp rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-book
I loved it, but I'm not thinking kids will get all that into the artists featured throughout the book.
Mrs. Nelson's
May 29, 2011 Mrs. Nelson's rated it it was amazing
With a cover blurb from Iggy Pop, this atypical alphabet book may have the only reference to the band X in a children’s book.

--Review by Andrea
Kelsey
May 22, 2012 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
Although this book is fun, it is a little too loud to properly teach the ABCs to beginning readers. Also, a younger audience will not be familiar with most band references.
Tonya
Dec 18, 2012 Tonya rated it liked it
Super cute for any rock lover-
E
Feb 23, 2013 E rated it it was amazing
Best book ever as a gift for kids - ABCs with your favorite 90s alternative rock band (i.e. E = Elvis Costello, etc.)
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Ben Lewis
Ben Lewis rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2013
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Theodore A Rund
Theodore A Rund rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2012
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Rose082782
Rose082782 rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
KarenMLISt
KarenMLISt rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Kristy
May 23, 2014 Kristy rated it liked it
An art book, not a reading book.
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Erin Di stefano
Erin Di stefano rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Ryan Parker
Ryan Parker rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
Xing Zhi
Xing Zhi rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2017
Bliss
Bliss rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012