Start by marking “Inspirations: Selections from Classic Literature” as Want to Read:
Inspirations: Selections from Classic Literature

Inspirations: Selections from Classic Literature

From the author of The Alchemist, a unique and edifying literary journey inspired by the four elements.

One of the world's best-loved storytellers, Paulo Coelho has brought joy and wisdom to millions. In Inspirations, his arrangement of his personal favorite literary classics is as selective as a bouquet of flowers, a gift to his readers. This compendium of works will be
Published October 26th 2010 by Penguin Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Inspirations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inspirations

Tiffany
I've recently started really enjoying to read anthology collections. I think that it gives me the opportunity to get a taste of different styles of writing without getting myself into a book that I might not enjoy. This collection was about classic works of writing, the majority which I have read before. It surprised me how many I had already read and loved. Really, that was back when writing was GOOD and intense. An interesting collection of writing.
Molly
Sep 29, 2010 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
An enjoyable and quick book of excerpts, organized beautifully by Paulo Coelho. A lovely book to have on your shelf, to pull out and read a small story.
Taymara Jagmohan
Jan 21, 2013 Taymara Jagmohan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classically arranged, and wonderfully vented. : )

-Being natural, doesn't mean being common.

Dina
As the other guy said, the excerpts are from well-known works, and they weren't bound together in any deep, cohesive way. In fact, whenever Coelho started talking about how they do relate to each other at the beginning of each segment, I rolled my eyes and skipped over. I knew this when I bought the book, but I only bought it because I'm not very well-read and haven't read quite a few of the books that are borrowed from in this anthology. I've been meaning to get around to a few of them, and I t ...more
Andy
Jan 12, 2011 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bold experimentation or phoning it in?
Some of Coelho's own work is brilliant in its wise simplicity, so I had high hopes that his personal favorites from the world literature would be particularly meaningful. This selection of classic excerpts is disappointing. In part because it is already familiar material, but also because without some kind of more detailed commentary, it feels like a rip-off where old Paulo just dumped together some random stuff from his library shelves: the Ugly Duckling, M
Ria
May 30, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of a selection of famous works of literature chose by Paulo Coelho and sorted into sections of all the elements, Earth, Air, Water, Fire.
Covering such diverse works as Hans Anderson's The ugly duckling to the Dead sea scrolls there is something in this volume to please everyone.
Personally I would rather read a whole novel than just excerpts as many I had read before and others that I was interested in just gave you a brief, tantalising glimpse but then that is the nature of th
Deepak Dev
How many people can read all the pieces in it with some sort satisfaction after buying it for $9,if he is not a faaaaaaan of paulo.Sure he might have done no tedious work to produce a such a catalog of diverging tastes.He just divided all the story bits in to four portions -four elements .A common reader may not feel the same way as paulo visualized, and I must say he is making money with less effort.
Ajeng
Jun 28, 2011 Ajeng rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My personal favourite is Bhagavad Gita excerpt towards the end of the book. Perfect selection to get into the anthology, another is Kahlil Gibran. The rest were vaguely boring and without any real coherence to his introduction in each chapter. It's a disappointment to be honest.
Joy
Mar 21, 2014 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick enjoyable read. Interesting reading peices from works I'm already familiar with while considering why Mr. Coelho chose these particular sections. Even more rewarding to read other passages from works I've not yet discovered. Will be picking up a few new classics to enjoy as a result.
Elizabeth
Mar 10, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
This lovely little volume will give you a taste of many classics that you may never have an chance to read otherwise. Really cleverly arranged.
Rajesh
Feb 20, 2014 Rajesh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
where is the simplicity of coelho's writing.
ALOK B HOTA
Jan 18, 2015 ALOK B HOTA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice stories, small, informative and full of message
Ambar Parashar
Awesome book, consists of excerpts from superb novels and other books.
Rin
Apr 07, 2011 Rin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
penasarannn...
Janurey Sebastian
Suddenly I'm informed...
Samar
Aug 14, 2013 Samar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excluding Lawrence, the rest were beautiful selections. Especially Yeats' poem and the absurd extract from Garcia Marquez's famous book.
Ronald Ruiz
Jan 18, 2016 Ronald Ruiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
classic
Elspeth LaMorte
Not rating because anthology from too many different authors and kinds of texts. Enjoyed it though.
Rohit Kunal
It's a collection of excerpts from books that gave Paulo Coelho inspiration. I've took this up to read a few pages of some good books and see if I like them or not. It was an okay read.
Katherine
Jan 10, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katherine by: Rebeccarehfeld
I liked the choices he made but aside from the short introduction, I wish he had explained more as to why he chose each novel and how it relates to the theme.
Jazzy D
Oct 27, 2011 Jazzy D rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
A book to revisit every few years.
Marie-pierre Stien
Aug 09, 2012 Marie-pierre Stien rated it did not like it
A small insipid collection of already well-known essays.
Cherie Kephart
Apr 01, 2015 Cherie Kephart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, charming read. Love the selections. Brought me back to rereading some lovely, inspiring stories.
Cil
Cil rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Bhagirathi Panchal
Bhagirathi Panchal rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Sujith Nair
Sujith Nair rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
നിക്ക്. . .
നിക്ക്. . . rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2012
Thomas Bähler
Thomas Bähler rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Huda Ehsan
Huda Ehsan rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Alveena
Alveena rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2011
  • The Last Safe Place on Earth
  • Afoot and Afield: San Diego County: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide
  • The Gaze of the Gazelle: The Story of a Generation
  • Losses and Gains: Reflections on a Life with a Foreword by Paolo Coelho
  • Dickens' Fur Coat and Charlotte's Unanswered Letters: The Rows and Romances of England's Great Victorian Novelists
  • Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already Know the Story)
  • Shakespeare and Co.: Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Dekker, Ben Jonson, Thomas Middleton, John Fletcher and the Other Players in His Story
  • New Beginnings
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • Novels by Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist
  • Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Microbiology
  • The Portable Abraham Lincoln
  • Alias: Vanishing Act (Prequel Series #10)
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage. In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow in ...more
More about Paulo Coelho...

“Water. Deep water. Infinitely deep water of the primordial ocean, where everything is possible.” 0 likes