Misplaced Alice

Misplaced Alice

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  2 reviews

I was highly invigorated by these stories. They're such exquisitely crafted apercus of the droll and the macabre. Very Hitchockian. The focus of the stories becomes very acute; the severe compression causes grotesque acts to appear even more grotesque.

In this new collection of stories, Matt Briggs reminds us of the ordinary strangeness of strange and ordinary lives. Like t

116 pages
Published September 28th 2003 by SpringTown Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Misplaced Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misplaced Alice

Matthew
I read this years ago. Why did I forget to add it to my book list? Why was it misplaced among my book-reading memories? Certainly not because I didn't like it? It's a wonderful collection of short stories. Many of them very tiny.

Is it Matt's fault, maybe? Did he somehow CAUSE this to happen? Did he embed within the stories in the book some sort of CODE? Did the code WORK ON ME in some way?

Am I hypnotized? Should I continue to trust myself? Maybe not, Goodreads. Maybe not.

Read this book. Tell...more
Glen
Apr 18, 2009 Glen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
A collection of interesting short stories...there was only one I could absolutely not read.
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Kasane Teto
Kasane Teto marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Niels
Niels added it
Feb 10, 2011
mia
mia marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2008
Matt Briggs
Jul 02, 2008 Matt Briggs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
320649
Matt Briggs grew up in the Snoqualmie Valley, raised by working-class, counter-culture parents who cultivated and sold cannabis. Briggs has written two books set in rural Washington chronicling this life, The Remains of River Names and Shoot the Buffalo. Critic Ann Powers wrote of Briggs first book in the New York Times Book Review, "Briggs has captured the America that neither progressives nor fa...more
More about Matt Briggs...
Shoot the Buffalo Keep a Journal: The Basics The Remains of River Names The Strong Man The Moss Gatherers