Whistler in the Dark (American Girl History Mysteries, #16)

Whistler in the Dark (History Mysteries #16)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  6 reviews
It's 1867. Twelve-year-old Emma Henderson is mortified when Mother takes to wearing a Reform Dress-hideous bloomers! Worse, Mother has accepted a newspaper job in wild, far-off Colorado Territory. But even Emma can't imagine just how badly things will go in Twin Pines. From the moment she and Mother step off the stagecoach, it's clear that someone doesn't want them there.
Published March 1st 2002 by Pleasant Company Publications

Sesana
The actual mystery part didn't do much for me, but I loved reading about reform dress.
Ashley
It's 1867. Twelve year old Emma Henderson is mortified when mother takes to wearing a Reform Dress - hideous bloomers! Worse mother has accepted a newspaper job in wild, far off Colorado Territory. But even Emma can't imagine just how badly things will go in Twin Pines.

From the moment she and mother step off the stage coach, it's clear that someone doesn't want them there.

I enjoyed reading this book very much, I love all the American Girl stories. It's a great book for ages 8 and up.
Meadow
When Emma's mothter takes a position at a newspaper office, several threatening notes and mysterious whistles proves that some body doesn't want them to stay.

The story line was good, but not as entertaining as the others in the series.
Katie de Castro
Didn't have a review written for this one.
Rachel
Nice historical fiction. Quick read.
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Amit Garg
Amit Garg marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Beka
Beka marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
9dragons
9dragons marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Lydia Godleski
Lydia Godleski marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Taylor Christine
Taylor Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing...more
More about Kathleen Ernst...
Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality)) Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1) Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1) Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7) Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)