Start by marking “Samantha's Winter Party” as Want to Read:
Samantha's Winter Party

Samantha's Winter Party (American Girls Short Stories #5)

Few children's book series can match the runaway success of the American Girls Short Stories. In one year we've sold nearly 2 million copies of these perfectly pocket-sized (4 1/2" x 6") hardcover books featuring the adventures of the American Girls. Full-color illustrations, a historical picture essay, and directions for a craft project in every book make these an incredi ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Samantha's Winter Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samantha's Winter Party

Hannah
Mar 19, 2017 Hannah rated it it was ok
I would rate this one star, but that implies that it was a bad short story and that was not the case.
Samantha did the right thing in trying to help her friend and find a solution to the problem of Nellie not having money to buy gifts for the other girls.
In the end, Nellie uses her creativity to create a beautiful gift for the other girls.
Money does not always result in the best gift. Sometimes the best things are spending time with your friends and feeling loved.
Marfita
Feb 02, 2010 Marfita rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: little iconoclasts
Recommended to Marfita by: it was just sitting on the desk
Shelves: children-s
This is a short story published in a tiny book form from the series of American Girl books based on the dolls made by The Pleasant Company. And what a nice name for a company. The story is utterly unrealistic glurge (and so, I imagine, satisfying for a child) but is followed up by historical material, in this case, about the skating craze in the early 20th century. This review is just to point out how soppy I am. I was crying reading about Sonja Henie's tutu. It's not just an ejaculation from th ...more
Bree
Apr 26, 2011 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, children
This review is from the perspective of a mother. Once you suspend the disbelief of the social intermingling of the classes, its a very cute story about the relationship between Samantha and Nellie. The Looking Back section is very insightful on women and skating, and the crafts make the short stories an excellent addition to a girl's library.
Dolly
Jan 29, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a nice little Christmas-themed tale in the Samantha series of the American Girl books. It's a short story that can easily be read during a storytime and it highlights the differences from the rich and the poor in Victorian times. Despite Nellie's poor background, she still finds a way to give a very nice present to her friends, one that is made from her own imagination and ingenuity. While not a very realistic story, it still emphasizes treating people with kindness and respect, and that ...more
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
Cover: Pretty
Rating: 3 stars
Overall: Short and Sweet
Characters: Believable
Plot: How to be a good friend
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? N/A
Recommend: Yes

SUMMARY (50 word or so)

It was short, but I enjoyed seeing how the friends would solved their problems, and were able to enjoy their time together. Filled with the Spirit of Christmas join Samantha and friends in this touching tale.

To see my full review and my other reviews, visit my blog:
Sharon
Jan 29, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
After their days at Miss Crampton's Academy, Samantha and her friends head to Culpepper's Pond for ice skating. Nellie, an excellent skater, teaches the other girls to skate backwards and to perform figure eights.Snobbish Edith publicly invites everyone except Nellie to a party.Samantha and her friends show compassion toward Nellie whose parents have little money. Nellie goes forward to create a beautiful conclusion to this delightful holiday story by Valerie Tripp.

I appreciated the history of i
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it

Samantha's Winter Party

The story revolves around Samantha and her friends ice skating. One of her friends is poor and is made fun of by other girls so Samantha decides to have a party. The problem is that everyone is to give gifts to the other, and the one girl has no money at all to give gifts. Samantha tries to help her make gifts, but that doesn't work.

The party is held and the girl has found a way to give everyone a gift at the same time.

The historical section of this book contains informati
Kristine Hansen
Feb 11, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these short stories about the various American Girls. This one takes us back to when Nellie was still a servent and Samantha is still living with her grandmother. It's winter and a party is planned - somewhat thoughtlessly - meant to include Nellie but comes very close to EXCLUDING her instead.

I liked the solution, and think the craft project sounds like a lot of fun to do.
Karol
Jan 05, 2014 Karol rated it it was amazing
I love a good Christmas story. This short story centered around true friendship that demonstrated the rich and the poor can share the true meaning of giving despite their background. Kindness and thoughtfulness for one another doesn't reside in the pocketbook.
Meghan
Jan 26, 2017 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-girl
Good story, though I was surprised that Samantha's school friends all loved Nellie and wanted to hang out with her when she was still a servant. The looking back section had more about the history of ice skating than I ever thought I'd need to know.
Maggie
Aug 04, 2011 Maggie rated it really liked it
One of my elementary school teachers gave me two of these little hardcover books, and I remember how elated I felt upon receiving them - Samantha has always been my favorite character in the American Girls Collection.
Pamela
Dec 20, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing
it's a really short story but it is also a good short story Samantha's friend Nellie learns that you don't have to have money to give the perfect gift. I believe that's a lesson we all must learn, even me. Christmas time is not about what you get or what you give but who spend time with.
Kelly
Dec 20, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: ag-books
Nice story. Would have loved to been at the ponds!
PWRL
Feb 16, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Sandra Lewis
Jan 04, 2011 Sandra Lewis rated it really liked it
samatha is wonderful in these storyes
Miri
Feb 15, 2014 Miri rated it it was amazing
Samantha and her school friends, along with Nellie plan a holiday party, but Nellie has no money to spend on gifts, can Samantha convince her to come to the party anyway?
Bridget
Apr 09, 2010 Bridget rated it it was ok
This "mini" story I remember being good, but I remember how I prefered the longer, [but still pretty short:] american girl doll books.
Marian
Nov 10, 2008 Marian rated it really liked it
Shelves: readit, 2008, ag
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this short story, simply because the scene at the end always seemed like it would have been beautiful.
Miss Clark
Oct 26, 2011 Miss Clark rated it liked it
Read in year of publication

Short story - cute.
Jo
Sep 26, 2009 Jo rated it really liked it
A nice story with teaching opportunities connected with it.
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Marci Sutmiller
Marci Sutmiller rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Felicia
Felicia rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2010
Louisa
Louisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
GLORIA  K. COLLINS
GLORIA K. COLLINS rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Susan A. Rigopoulos
Susan A. Rigopoulos rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Milana
Milana rated it really liked it
May 05, 2009
hhertzof
hhertzof rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2010
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Kirsten on the Trail
  • High Hopes for Addy
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Kailey
  • Welcome to Samantha's World · 1904: Growing Up in America's New Century (American Girls Collection)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls Short Stories (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Felicity's New Sister
  • A Reward for Josefina (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Kirsten on the Trail
  • High Hopes for Addy
  • Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories)
  • The American Girls Short Stories