Samantha's Winter Party

Samantha's Winter Party (American Girls Short Stories #5)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Few children's book series can match the runaway success of the American Girls Short Stories. In one year we've sold nearly 2 million copies of these perfectly pocket-sized (4 1/2" x 6") hardcover books featuring the adventures of the American Girls. Full-color illustrations, a historical picture essay, and directions for a craft project in every book make these an incredi...more
Published May 1st 1999 by American Girl Publishing Inc

Marfita
Feb 02, 2010 Marfita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little iconoclasts
Recommended to Marfita by: it was just sitting on the desk
Shelves: children-s
This is a short story published in a tiny book form from the series of American Girl books based on the dolls made by The Pleasant Company. And what a nice name for a company. The story is utterly unrealistic glurge (and so, I imagine, satisfying for a child) but is followed up by historical material, in this case, about the skating craze in the early 20th century. This review is just to point out how soppy I am. I was crying reading about Sonja Henie's tutu. It's not just an ejaculation from th...more
Bree
This review is from the perspective of a mother. Once you suspend the disbelief of the social intermingling of the classes, its a very cute story about the relationship between Samantha and Nellie. The Looking Back section is very insightful on women and skating, and the crafts make the short stories an excellent addition to a girl's library.
Dolly
Jan 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a nice little Christmas-themed tale in the Samantha series of the American Girl books. It's a short story that can easily be read during a storytime and it highlights the differences from the rich and the poor in Victorian times. Despite Nellie's poor background, she still finds a way to give a very nice present to her friends, one that is made from her own imagination and ingenuity. While not a very realistic story, it still emphasizes treating people with kindness and respect, and that...more
Sharon
After their days at Miss Crampton's Academy, Samantha and her friends head to Culpepper's Pond for ice skating. Nellie, an excellent skater, teaches the other girls to skate backwards and to perform figure eights.Snobbish Edith publicly invites everyone except Nellie to a party.Samantha and her friends show compassion toward Nellie whose parents have little money. Nellie goes forward to create a beautiful conclusion to this delightful holiday story by Valerie Tripp.

I appreciated the history of i...more
Karol
I love a good Christmas story. This short story centered around true friendship that demonstrated the rich and the poor can share the true meaning of giving despite their background. Kindness and thoughtfulness for one another doesn't reside in the pocketbook.
Kristine Pratt
I really enjoy these short stories about the various American Girls. This one takes us back to when Nellie was still a servent and Samantha is still living with her grandmother. It's winter and a party is planned - somewhat thoughtlessly - meant to include Nellie but comes very close to EXCLUDING her instead.

I liked the solution, and think the craft project sounds like a lot of fun to do.
Maggie
One of my elementary school teachers gave me two of these little hardcover books, and I remember how elated I felt upon receiving them - Samantha has always been my favorite character in the American Girls Collection.
Marian
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this short story, simply because the scene at the end always seemed like it would have been beautiful.
Bridget
This "mini" story I remember being good, but I remember how I prefered the longer, [but still pretty short:] american girl doll books.
Jo
A nice story with teaching opportunities connected with it.
Katie
It was a good book samantha is one of my favorites
Miss Clark
Read in year of publication

Short story - cute.
Sandra Lewis
samatha is wonderful in these storyes
PWRL
Feb 16, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Aracely
Aracely marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 13, 2014
Laura Lubak
Laura Lubak marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kalei
Kalei added it
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t...more
More about Valerie Tripp...
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)