Start by marking “Samantha's Winter Party” as Want to Read:
Samantha's Winter Party

Samantha's Winter Party (American Girls Short Stories #5)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Few children's book series can match the runaway success of the American Girls Short Stories. In one year we've sold nearly 2 million copies of these perfectly pocket-sized (4 1/2" x 6") hardcover books featuring the adventures of the American Girls. Full-color illustrations, a historical picture essay, and directions for a craft project in every book make these an incredi ...more
Published May 1st 1999 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Samantha's Winter Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samantha's Winter Party

Feb 02, 2010 Marfita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little iconoclasts
Recommended to Marfita by: it was just sitting on the desk
Shelves: children-s
This is a short story published in a tiny book form from the series of American Girl books based on the dolls made by The Pleasant Company. And what a nice name for a company. The story is utterly unrealistic glurge (and so, I imagine, satisfying for a child) but is followed up by historical material, in this case, about the skating craze in the early 20th century. This review is just to point out how soppy I am. I was crying reading about Sonja Henie's tutu. It's not just an ejaculation from th ...more
This review is from the perspective of a mother. Once you suspend the disbelief of the social intermingling of the classes, its a very cute story about the relationship between Samantha and Nellie. The Looking Back section is very insightful on women and skating, and the crafts make the short stories an excellent addition to a girl's library.
Jan 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a nice little Christmas-themed tale in the Samantha series of the American Girl books. It's a short story that can easily be read during a storytime and it highlights the differences from the rich and the poor in Victorian times. Despite Nellie's poor background, she still finds a way to give a very nice present to her friends, one that is made from her own imagination and ingenuity. While not a very realistic story, it still emphasizes treating people with kindness and respect, and that ...more
it's a really short story but it is also a good short story Samantha's friend Nellie learns that you don't have to have money to give the perfect gift. I believe that's a lesson we all must learn, even me. Christmas time is not about what you get or what you give but who spend time with.
After their days at Miss Crampton's Academy, Samantha and her friends head to Culpepper's Pond for ice skating. Nellie, an excellent skater, teaches the other girls to skate backwards and to perform figure eights.Snobbish Edith publicly invites everyone except Nellie to a party.Samantha and her friends show compassion toward Nellie whose parents have little money. Nellie goes forward to create a beautiful conclusion to this delightful holiday story by Valerie Tripp.

I appreciated the history of i
Megan Lynn
a wonderful book about friendship and skating. I enjoy reading it.
I love a good Christmas story. This short story centered around true friendship that demonstrated the rich and the poor can share the true meaning of giving despite their background. Kindness and thoughtfulness for one another doesn't reside in the pocketbook.
Kristine Pratt
I really enjoy these short stories about the various American Girls. This one takes us back to when Nellie was still a servent and Samantha is still living with her grandmother. It's winter and a party is planned - somewhat thoughtlessly - meant to include Nellie but comes very close to EXCLUDING her instead.

I liked the solution, and think the craft project sounds like a lot of fun to do.
One of my elementary school teachers gave me two of these little hardcover books, and I remember how elated I felt upon receiving them - Samantha has always been my favorite character in the American Girls Collection.
Samantha and her school friends, along with Nellie plan a holiday party, but Nellie has no money to spend on gifts, can Samantha convince her to come to the party anyway?
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this short story, simply because the scene at the end always seemed like it would have been beautiful.
This "mini" story I remember being good, but I remember how I prefered the longer, [but still pretty short:] american girl doll books.
A nice story with teaching opportunities connected with it.
It was a good book samantha is one of my favorites
Miss Clark
Read in year of publication

Short story - cute.
Sandra Lewis
samatha is wonderful in these storyes
Feb 16, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
paperdollmom marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
School Nerd
School Nerd marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Bailee added it
Oct 03, 2015
  • Kirsten on the Trail (American Girls Short Stories)
  • High Hopes for Addy
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Welcome to Samantha's World · 1904: Growing Up in America's New Century (American Girls Collection)
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls Short Stories (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Felicity's New Sister
  • A Reward for Josefina (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Kirsten on the Trail (American Girls Short Stories)
  • High Hopes for Addy
  • Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories)
  • The American Girls Short Stories