Start by marking “Festivus: The Holiday for the Rest of Us” as Want to Read:
Festivus: The Holiday for the Rest of Us

Festivus: The Holiday for the Rest of Us

A brand-new and revised edition of the hilarious guide to the national anti-holiday made famous by Seinfeld, complete with never-before-seen material, photos, and illustrations on how to prepare and enjoy your very own Festivus.
Published October 10th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Festivus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Festivus

Eva
Feb 06, 2013 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, fun read -- but inconsequential and I was ready to be done by the time it ended. Kindle quotes:

A Festivus miracle to me would be not having to give anybody a gift during the time of year we call “the holidays,” and not feeling like I’ve shortchanged anyone or hurt their feelings. - location 39

The TV version of Festivus featured a bare aluminum pole in the place of honor many families reserve for a tinsel-draped Christmas tree, an “Airing of Grievances” in which friends, family, and acquain
Maria Camp
Festivus, yes! This book? Eh...so-so. The concept of Festivus is hilarious, and I find it endearing that some people actually celebrate it; however, this book is, unfortunately, better in concept than in execution. It is more engaging in the beginning. As you continue reading - if you continue reading - you will likely find yourself less and less inclined to continue to the next page. I rented the digital book for free via a local library. It is a quick read, even more so if you opt to simply st ...more
Marsha
Based on an episode of “Seinfeld” called “The Strike”, Festivus is a holiday for those tired of the commercialization of Christmas and the annual rush towards the holidays that starts as early as the end of Halloween. Gather around the bare aluminum pole, give no gifts (nor receive any), warble warped variations on carols, eat those shrimps right off the flat-head nails and wrestle your dad to the floor in celebration of this wicked antidote to a worn-out holiday. Bound to appeal to the Scrooges ...more
Dann
Dec 23, 2012 Dann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
It’s a Festivus miracle! Someone actually wrote a book about a Seinfeld joke. Festivus: The Holiday for the Rest of Us takes the joke too far and tries to assign meaning to it that’s just not there. Allen Salken has assembled a collection of stories from Seinfeld eccentrics that have attempted to erect a Festivus holiday. And as a whole these antidotes are rather amusing, however the obscurity of some of them shows a certain desperation to find material. To an extent the book is the joke itself; ...more
Heather
Cute little book, celebrating Festivus and those who celebrate it. I was only familiar with Festivus through "Seinfeld," and had no idea that it actually existed. In fact, seeing Jerry Stiller's (Frank Costanza's) face on the cover, I thought the book would be specifically about the "Seinfeld" version, written from Frank's point of view (guess I missed the "foreward by Jerry Stiller" statement on the cover!). It's interesting and sweet to read of, and see the pictures of, the different people wh ...more
Kecia
Dec 14, 2012 Kecia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
Ah Festivus - the holiday for the rest of us! It is one of my two favorite holidays, Groundhog Day and Festivus. No cards to send. No parades to watch. No special food to cook. No gifts to buy. No special colored M&Ms to tempt. They are silly and they are simple holidays.

One of the ritual of Festivus is the Airing of Grievances. So for this Festivus of 2012 here is my grievance - THIS BOOK IS TERRIBLE!

Put up your Festivus pole and celebrate the season with family and friends - but skip thi
Martin
Feb 21, 2013 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a book idea concerning Festivus that has been percolating in my head, so I had to go to the source to a) see if my idea has been covered and b) seek inpiration. Good news, my idea's original and I now have more ingredients in the stew. If nothing else, I've accidentally become the foremost Festivus expert of anyone I know.
Tara
The best part is the forward by Jerry Stiller. Otherwise, there are a few interesting rituals that are documented - inspired me to maybe host my own Festivus party. I liked that the real thrust of this book was that people enjoy a holiday where they don't have to buy, be phony, or do things they don't want to do for the sake of tradition.
Paul Steckhan
Aug 17, 2015 Paul Steckhan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am a huge fan of Festivus and Seinfeld this book did not (for me) capture the spirit of the holiday. It was clearly an attempt to capitalize on the holiday. Why is there a photo of a frat house bathroom? Not Festivus related, just a kooky photo I guess. The book is tiny, the result is even smaller.
Adrienne Girard
Dec 31, 2007 Adrienne Girard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "seinfeld" fans
Recommended to Adrienne by: was a gift from Jen D.
this book's sheer brilliance in humor at some parts made up for the fact that it dragged in others (i.e., the feats of strength don't entertain me). it was well-researched. it mirrors my thoughts on the holiday season.
Wes Young
Aug 27, 2013 Wes Young rated it it was ok
What makes this "holiday" fun and funny is the idea of Festivus; and it quickly loses is charm in large part because of the people who fanatically celebrate it. Those individuals, cataloged in the book, make this rather quick read a dull and excruciating one.
Lori
Sep 29, 2008 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, but not in a Dave Barry kind of way, more like historically funny. Jerry Stiller does the foreward and it's great to hear his distinct voice on the audiobook. This book was informative about the history of Festivus. Yeah...there's a history. Can you believe it?
TJ
Feb 21, 2016 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny look at the history of Festivus, the popularity it achieved during Seinfeld and the current celebrations. Complete with drink and recipe ideas, and fun party hosting plans. Festivus for the rest of us!
John Yelverton
This book definitely had some funny parts, but it was really not that great of a book.
Bill
Dec 28, 2013 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really amused, lots of typos.
Ray
And you thought Festivus was only a Seinfeld episode??? :-)
Andrea
Oct 01, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much the history of Festivus. Not terribly interesting, but the audiobook was good background noise.
Julie
Dec 28, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
IM IN THIS ONE!!! :)
Sylvie Parris
Jan 24, 2014 Sylvie Parris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, but after awhile, I just got tired of it.
Caroline
Dec 16, 2008 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's alright. For a book that's supposed to be funny, it's really not all that funny.
Ezzzmeralda
Jan 17, 2008 Ezzzmeralda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Seinfeld Fans
Pretty funny... but better as a tv show -not a book.
Matthew McLellan
Funny, entertaining book on the most foolish holiday.
Les Gehman
Mar 13, 2010 Les Gehman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, wtf
Finally a holiday I can enjoy...
April Smith
It seemed the time of year.....
Ryann
Dec 10, 2012 Ryann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written, tons of typos and misspellings, and not at all worth reading.
Erika
Aug 29, 2013 Erika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
stupid
Clacie
Nov 06, 2012 Clacie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
This book was mostly dumb with a few funny parts.
Emily
Dec 05, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are some books that I am so curious about and can't believe actually exist in the online library that I feel like I have to check them out. This is one of those. I will say that it took itself very seriously with a lot more substance than I anticipated? There are actually some great ideas for if you're throwing a Festivus party. Other than that, you really don't need to read it.
Jessica
Dec 08, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. Halifax gets a few mentions as a hotbed of Festivus activity. Who knew?
Pam
Dec 16, 2015 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, ebook, humor, 2015
Well this was kinda a stupid book. Why do people have to make things so complicated? That's pretty antithetical to the idea of Festivus.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • My Goodness: A Cynic's Short-Lived Search for Sainthood
  • Out of My Mind
  • Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America
  • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
  • When Katie Wakes
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • 101 Things to Do Before You Die
  • I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood
  • Miss Julia Delivers the Goods (Miss Julia, #10)
  • Foreign Correspondence: A Pen Pal's Journey from Down Under to All Over