Start by marking “Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4)

Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  902 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter introduced a winning sleuth in Florida pet sitter Dixie Hemingway, and the next books in the series, Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund and Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues, firmly established author Blaize Clement as a new star amongst mystery fans. Now Dixie Hemingway, no relation to you-know-who, is back in this fourth riveting installment.

Wh

Published January 6th 2009 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof

Ellen
"Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof" by Blaize Clement.

FANTASTIC!!! 5 star review.

This series just keeps getting better and better.

Dixie Hemingway finds a new friend in Laura. Laura seems to be on the run from an abusive husband. She's left Dallas and is trying to remain as incognito as possible. That's what Dixie has been told and that's what Dixie believes...for a while that is.
Then Laura is discovered in her shower stabbed to death and hideously mutilated. That's when the truth about Laura and he
Scoats
Jun 19, 2013 Scoats rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We own the first four Cat Sitter books and now I have read all of them. This book is from 2005, so I'm sure there are still many more in the series. But we have 100s of other books I haven't read yet, so I'm not looking for more.

While the characters and story were as strong as ever, this one seemed a bit rushed and could have benefited from a good bit of tightening. How many times do we have to read that Dixie came home, took a shower, took a nap naked, woke up and put on cargo shorts, a t-shir
Fanficfan44
Jul 20, 2016 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was last night’s read. I am reading my way through the Dixie Hemingway Mystery series, somewhat out of order. I really like this series and this book is no exception. The mystery was really well plotted and exciting right up to the end. Dixie is a great character and I love the relationship she has with her clients and their pets. Dixie has shown growth since the first book and it was really evident in this book when she reached out to make a new friend and to go on a date. I always feel th ...more
Judy
Jun 22, 2009 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it's the morning of the Friends of the Library book sale and I know that I have to be there all day and will be interrupted a thousand times by fellow book lovers and I need a book to read. I swung by the library on my way to the sale and checked this book out. It was perfect. A fun read and no problem with the interruptions, I could pick the story right back up. This is the third book in this series that I've read and I have to admit that I'm enjoyed them all. The story is told by a woman ...more
Emily Crow
I think this is where the Cat Sitter series and I part ways. None of them are realistic, but the other ones were a bit silly but still good light reading. This one crossed the line into being dumb: the story was paper-thin, the killer was obvious from the get-go, and Dixie acted like an idiot from start to finish.
Kevin
Oct 10, 2012 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was really bad. The only reason I kept reading it was because I was on vacation with the person who gave it to me. She asked how it was and I told it wasn’t very good; she said, I didn’t think it would be. I wanted to say—Then why did you give it to me! Lesson—don’t give someone a book if you don’t think it’s any good. She’s a bad, derivative writer. I’m shocked Sue Grafton hasn’t sued her for plagiarism. A basic problem is the main character’s profession. She’s a pet sitter, which means sh ...more
Heidi
Mar 14, 2009 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Carol
Feb 03, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, cats
I've enjoyed all the books in this series, but this one dragged a little in the middle for me. I like the characters, but I wish there was more development of the relationship between Dixie and Guidry.
Kristin Spadafore
Apr 13, 2011 Kristin Spadafore rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wish this book was good so I would be interested in reading more of this author, but no. I liked the concept: pet sitter detective novel. Maybe there is better of this type by a another author...
Ed
#4 in the Dixie Hemingway series. It's a cozy series so I guess I'm supposed to overlook the excessively cutesy titles (starting with Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (2006)). This entry was a Finalist 2010 Mary Higgins Clark Award. Fun series.

Dixie Hemingway is dog sitting for a service dog who's young master is undergoing a serious operation. She meets Laura Halston, their neighbor, and feels an attraction to the beautiful young woman. After Laura is murdered, much of her back story turns out t
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
I really like this series and this was another solid read
Kat
Jun 21, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin
Mar 12, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, cozy-mystery
I thing I love about this cozy mystery series is that for once, it actually makes some sense that the main character Dixie keeps finding dead bodies. Usually with cozies, you have to suspend reality a little bit to believe that one civilian would just happen to get involved in more than one or two murder cases. But with Dixie, it actually makes some sense. Being a pet sitter means she knows many people around town and that she daily circulates different communities. Her schedule also requires he ...more
Knight
Aug 11, 2013 Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pet and mystery lovers
Set in April. I still love the cat sitter theme. But the foreboding is getting tiresome. In Victorian literature this is known as the “Had I but known” style (HIBK: this is when the protagonist addresses the readers and says such things as “Had I but known, dear reader, that this event would result in....”). Example: p. 12 (end of chapter 1): “There was absolutely no way I could have known that my chance meeting with Laura Halston would one day haunt me,...”

I like the main characters and the way
Kim j
Apr 15, 2015 Kim j rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clement
Loved it! I like the approach of a pet sitter who solves mysteries b/c it is so different. She is strong & yet not tough. She is relatable in that she has had her issues and yet not overly complaining. I liked heating about service dogs and found it fascinating, able to hold my attention and I will continue to read the series. Keep writing!!!

4/14/15: rereading all books in series since the original author died & want to compare writing styles. Also I am really enjoying it. Criticism was
Harvee
Jan 18, 2014 Harvee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book a lot. Besides a good mystery plot, awesome Florida setting in the keys off Sarasota, I learned some new things. Words such as "ailurophile" or fear of cats; "piqueurist" or a personality disorder that makes people delight in causing terror; the full meaning of "narcissist" or someone who is deceitful, totally self-involved, controlling, and also persuasive.

I also got to know the difference between a "service" dog and a "therapy" dog and a "seizure-alert" dog versus a "seizure-
Having now read three Dixie Hemingways in a row within the last week, it's time for a break. Still fun, fast and easy reads, but definitely formulaic, and not enough forward progress in her personal life over the last three books. Plot on this one was better than the last and the side story about the boy with the seizure assistance dog was engaging, but it's time for something a little less designed to be a beach read.
CindyLulu
I happen upon the New Mystery releases in the library. The cover title caught my eye and I decided to give it a try. I found that Blaize Clement is wonderful in her character development; love of animals; scenic descriptions; however, I find her mystery plots lacking in depth and suspense. Why tell us that a certain plot character will no longer be around? Why tell the reader that little did Dixie know it that this would be the last time she sees her alive? It takes away from the suspense (none ...more
Angela
Aug 21, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
More psychology and motivation focus on the part of the killer and the victim. Secondary plots were very interesting and the details of the animals and caring for them was really cool (even for a non-pet person like me). I like the slow but definitely movement of Dixie's romantic dilemmas.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
It was okay. Cardboard cutout characters. The title of the book has nothing to do with anything, it's just cute....I guess. In some scenes there is no emotion and in others it's over the top, not a lot of in-between. Sarasota sounds pretty, though.
Gramy
This book is about a woman named Dixie Hemingway, who is an experienced pet sitter that is very devoted to the pets she agrees to take care of. She has been struggling to come to grips with the loss of her husband and daughter four years before. She can now talk about them without breaking down into tears. She meets a young woman named Laura, who she befriends and is disappointed to discover she wasn't who she said she was after, only she was brutally murdered. Dixie questions everyone surroundi ...more
Heather Jones
Dec 30, 2014 Heather Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son gave this book to me for Christmas. As usual he complains about not wanting books in the middle of the series... Thouroughly enjoyed the book. Will look for more of hers.
Cathy
Apr 09, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never read one of these before but found it an easy read but a good read! Loved the cats and dogs that feature throughout the novel they have some great personalities!
Angela Verdenius
Really enjoying this series. Pets, mysteries, a very human heroine with all her foibles, great secondary characters. The main emphasis is on the mystery. Off to start the next book!
Ellen
May 30, 2015 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. In each book the sleuth gets a few clues through dumb luck, and sometimes I want to wring her neck, but the characters are great and I love the writing.
Pat
Dec 29, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dixie makes a friend who is killed.
She lives next to brother and partner, cop and fireman.
Siesta Key, Florida.
Good.
Daniell
Jan 24, 2016 Daniell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is just great fun. You would not think the job as a pet sitter could be so exciting and interesting, but leave it to Dixie Hamingway. I enjoy the dynamics between Dixie and all the various people in her life. He thirst for stability and normality are constantly thwarted buy her natural ability to sniff out trouble. Such and enjoyable read!
S
Fun romp of a cozy mystery set in Florida: a pet sitter comes across corpses and solves the mystery (of course!).
 Gigi Ann
This was a cozy mystery, about a pet sitter, who always seems to arrive at the scene of the crime before anyone else. It was a fun book to read if you like cozy mysteries. I couldn't believe I figured out who done it, but it is always fun to try to figure it out even if I am usually wrong.

I read one of her other books "Even Cat Sitters Get The Blues" and enjoyed it. So I will probably read the next one in the series, even though I read these first two books out of order, it doesn't really matte
Karen
May 03, 2015 Karen added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance, mystery and animal lovers
Recommended to Karen by: found it by chance in the library
I love the whole series. Charming as ever.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof 1 3 Jan 16, 2012 02:51PM
  • Catnapped! (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #13)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Nothing to Fear But Ferrets (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #2)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba ...more
More about Blaize Clement...

A Dixie Hemingway Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)
  • Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #2)
  • Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #3)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat Sitter's Pajamas (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #7)
  • The Cat Sitter's Cradle (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #8)
  • The Cat Sitter's Nine Lives (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #9)
  • The Cat Sitter's Whiskers (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #10)
  • The Cat Sitter and the Canary (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #11)

“My pet-sitting day ends around sunset, and it's very satisfying to know that I've made several living beings happy that day. That I left their food bowls sparkling clean and fresh water in their water bowls. That I brushed them so their coats shined, and played with them until all our hearts were beating faster. That I kissed them goodbye and left them with their tails wagging or flipping or at least raised in a happy kind of way. That's a heck of a lot more than any president, pope, prime minister, or potentate can say, and I wouldn't switch places with any of them.” 5 likes
“I pulled the dress out of the bag and held it in front of me. Ella sat up straighter and squinted her eyes, while Michael and Paco made the noises men make when a woman says, “What do you think?” Fathers probably teach those noises to their sons when they’re young—“Stand up when you’re introduced to a lady, use your napkin instead of your sleeve, and make admiring noises when a woman shows you anything, no matter what it is, and asks you what you think about it. Never, never, never say you have no opinion.” 4 likes