Start by marking “The Scarlet Slipper Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Slipper Mystery

The Scarlet Slipper Mystery (Nancy Drew #32)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  4,708 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Nancy Drew comes to the aid of the owners of a local dancing school when they receive an anonymous note threatening their lives.
Published January 1st 1955 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Slipper Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlet Slipper Mystery

Jordan Ray
I did actually enjoy this book it was full of many surprises.It was about a picture of a famous dancer wearing a pair of scarlet ballet slippers. The picture was stolen from Paris and Nancy and her friends soon find out why. Four smugglers hid jewels in the picture and snuck it into the United States. Nancy kept running into these people and started to suspect something. Her friend Mr. Fontain she met painted the painting and was a dark person, just like the people she suspected of stealing the ...more
John Yelverton
Nancy Drew must solve a case of extortion in this addition to the book series.
Kathy
The Mystery of the Missing Scarlet Slippers
By: Carolyn Keene

Critique by Margot Buckey

The Mystery of the Missing Scarlet Slippers is about twins named Henri and Helene Fontaine from Centrovia. They come to America, because they are forced out of their country. They are very scared of what might happen to them, so they take their case to Nancy Drew. Nancy and her friends, Bess and George, help the twins figure out what is going on and why. Nancy and her friends discover there are Centrovian men tr
Wenqian-1e3
Jun 07, 2009 Wenqian-1e3 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Wenqian-1e3 by: my friends
"The Scarlet Slipper Mystery " is about a girl detective , Nancy Drew who meets Helene and Henri Fontaine , refugees from Centrovia who run a dancing school in River Heights . Strange circumstanceshave brought the brother and sister to the United States . When they receive an annoymous note threatening their lives , Nancy offers her help .
But she encounters nothing but puzzles . Are the Foutaines involved with the Centrovian underground ? Have they been threatened by their own countrymen ? Why
Melanie
Bahaha! When we first meet Bess'n'George, they're attired "in gay cotton skirts and blouses." At one point Nancy gets offended when Ned intimates to a stranger that they're husband and wife.

The teaser picture shows HANNAH GRUEN bound and gagged, which is the first time in the series that anything has happened to her. Apparently some people from a non-existent country are tied up in a jewel smuggling ring, though the plot is rather nonsensical. We discover that Nancy is a skilled ballerina, thoug
Altaïr
I read it to my little sister (age 10) before bed each night. She enjoyed it, and the writing is of a fairly good quality for a children's book. Expectedly, the plot was fairly simple, without many unpredictable events.

Altogether, a good children's mystery novel.
Kristin Landry
In the exciting world of Nancy Drew mysteries this is no exception; with different suspects at every turn how can Nancy not help to be confused in this new startling mystery. It start with a new dance studio in River Heights with a lovely brother and sister for Centrovia, however they soon come to Nancy with a troubling problem. While trying to protect them amongst the crowd of on coming suspects and clues, they vanish. In the end the criminals end up in their rightful place behind bars and Nanc ...more
Phe☽♃
The Scarlet Slipper Mystery is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 32nd book in the Nancy Drew series.

At a dancing school run by Helene and Henri Fontaine, refugees from Centrovia, scarlet slippers hang on the wall. Are they a clue in the mystery involving underground activities, missing jewels, and paintings? Strange circumstances brought the brother and sister to the United States. And when they receive an anonymous note threatening their lives, can eighteen-year-old N
Tabi34
I found this book confusing - there were too many people with too many aliases. I'm not sure if the confusion comes from the update or not. This is the 32nd book in the series and was first published in 1954 and revised in 1974.

A few things that I noticed - Burt and Dave haven't been seen in awhile. Bess and George have played smaller roles. Often they are busy. I sort of miss Bess' timidity.

Ned apparently is more involved with the relationship than Nancy is. At one point in this book he eludes
Abigail
It was good, but definitely not my favorite Nancy drew book. The plot just wasn't as interesting to me. I guess I like it better when there are a lot of people twisted into the mystery, instead of only a few. So: Good, but I've read better.
Christina
Nancy meets a Helene and her brother Henri. Unfortunately, someone has been threatening them, forcing them to move around to keep ahead of this individual. Nancy decides to investigate!

The Nancy Drew Mysteries are such great books. My 8 year old recently discovered them and she loves them. The language is not dumbed down and my daughter loves trying to solve the mysteries. She gets so excited with every passing chapter and loves to tell me her new theories on who did it.

There is a reason these b
Connie
Another great Nancy Drew. I especially liked how I wasn't sure if Helene and Henri were going to turn out to be good guys or bad guys!
Sydney
i really really liked this book its really mysterious. like who is a part of the smuggling and is he a suspect
THESPY1602
I thought it was great! This book is perfect for anyone who likes Nancy Drew and ballet! Great book!
Angie
I had actually forgotten how far-fetched Nancy Drew mysteries are!
Catherine Raphael
it was a good book
all the mystery and stuff is simply wonderful
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Nicole Bennett
One of my least favorites so far---boring and confusing.
Jessi
Henri and Helene Fontaine are from Centrovia, a country in revolt. Their parents died trying to help free the country, and now the H's are getting threatening notes telling them to leave the US. Nancy and Bess have to pull together, with the help of Ned's mom, to keep the Fontaine's dance studio open while Nancy solves the case of jewel smuggling, false identities and the scarlet slippers (worn by the Fontaine's mother who was a famous ballet dancer in Centrovia, but don't otherwise come into th ...more
Stephanie
I enjoyed the ballet element to this story as well as reading about how the jewels were stolen and smuggled into the country. I found the character of Mrs Judson to be absolutely annoying which is fairly just, while I really enjoyed reading about Nancy and I found her to be extremely humble in this story which is great.
Aimee
Jan 25, 2010 Aimee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy Drew lovers
Nancy Drew finds herself right in the heart of another dangerous mystery! There are burglars in her friend's dance studio, Hannah has been tied up to a chair, Togo has been wrapped up in a drape and shoved in a closet, and a famous ballet dancer has gone missing. Not to worry though... Nancy's sleuthing skills have been put to the test and I'm sure will prove themselves trite and true once again!
Miri
Nancy comes to the aid of Henri and Helene Fontaine, dance teachers who have recently come to River Heights and have received threatening messages forcing them to leave their home country. In a case that has multiple angles, smuggling and underground movements, Nancy will have to keep her wits about her!
Kelly
Not a bad book. It was hard to keep all the characters in line at particular points because of the aliases, but overall I enjoyed this book.
Disha.s
Aug 19, 2013 Disha.s rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the people who haven't started reading the series
Recommended to Disha.s by: Our teacher for one of our project's
This is my first time reading a Nancy Drew Book, I found this book very intesting. I would say to all those people out there who haven;t yet read this book must read it. As it was the first book I read in the Nancy Drew series I loved it. I would say it was one of the best books I've read in my life.
Kylie
loved it! of course nancy finds her self in some dangerous case involving jewel smuggling! she is on the way to solving the last problem when shes kidnapped does she get away well find out if you read this book.
Julie_ian_curtis
a bit confusing. these dudes are the smugglers. no theyre not, its these guys no its the first guys no it the new guy...
Heidi
Every time I read a Nancy Drew book it takes me back to my childhood and the hope of one day becoming Nancy Drew Sleuth. To this day I collect and read Nancy Drew books!!
MaryRachel
I finished it this morning. It was probably one of the best Nancy Drew books I've read! If you pick it up you won't be able to put it down!!!! Read it. You'll really enjoy it.
Madison H.
I've always loved Nancy Drew but when I found this one I was ecstatic! I mean Nancy Drew mixed with dance! How awesome is that!!! A wonerful Nancy book!
  • The Mark on the Door (Hardy Boys, #13)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)