Start by marking “Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery and Café Cookbook: Favorite Breads, Pastries, Sweets and Savories” as Want to Read:

Nationally known chef Leslie Mackie opened Macrina in 1993 as an artisan bakery and lunch spot. News of this exciting eatery spread quickly through Seattle and beyond, making Macrina an American favorite. This lavishly produced cookbook offers the same dishes, developed from extensive research and travel, found at Macrina. More than 100 recipes range from a classic Rustic ...more
Published September 22nd 2003 by Sasquatch Books (first published September 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery and Café Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery and Café Cookbook

Karla
Jul 06, 2009 Karla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Based on the cover when I picked up this book I expected it to be full of high-effort baking recipes. What I found instead were a lot of recipes with slight ingredient tweaks and a chance to push the boundaries on "the ordinary" that gave them delicious charm. A real plus were the recipes that were "go along with" additions, for example "Egg Salad Sandwich on Greek Olive bread with Roasted Tomatoes" (which was divine!). None of the recipes were of the quick, throw-together category, but none wer ...more
darcy
Oct 08, 2007 darcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: someday
Lavender-lemon scones -- that's the only pastry I ever made from this cookbook. I know that there are some seriously amazing recipes lingering on those pages. The problem is, unless I find myself with three unoccupied days in a row, I never have time to make them.

Recipes are written in small font, wordy paragraphs, and are at least three-tenths of a mile long. And yet, there are some serious omissions amongst all that text. You'd think in a two-page dough recipe, for example, the author would t
Jen
Dec 01, 2009 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, northwest
Got solely to recreate the rocket muffins that my husband and his coworkers are fans of. I don't find them particularly tasty - they just taste like baking soda to me - but they're a hit, and eaten with a lot of jam that I guess adds to the taste. Plus, they are also intended to be, erm, functional...

Hope to try another couple recipes before returning to the library this time.
Emily
Sep 24, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodie-reads
Katharine Houpt gave this to me--it's her favorite bakery in Seattle. The biscuits are the best I've ever had, and the croissants are delicious and easy. If you like tasty baked goods, this is the way to go.
Joyce
One of my all time favorite cookbooks. The recipes are delicious especially the cherry almond scones, challah & potato bread. It's a beautiful book filled with approachable recipes. This is one book I'd love to bake from cover to cover.
Samantha
Jul 05, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
One of my favorites. :) I love the blueberry pie recipe, and the bacon, leek, and gruyere quiche. :) The recipes can be a little expensive and/or time-consuming, but they are well worth it!
Courtney Payne
Sep 11, 2007 Courtney Payne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The pages of this cookbook are sticky, stained, and stuck together---that is how much I use it. I have probably baked more out of this book than any other cookbook that I own.
Angelique
Jul 25, 2009 Angelique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a beautiful book from a really lovely bakery/restaurant in Seattle. Some of the baked goods require a couple of days prep, though, but they're worth it.
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Dana Youlin
Dana Youlin rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2007
Jennifer Garbos
Jennifer Garbos rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2013
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Mcstatham
Mcstatham rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Marshall
Marshall rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Jeannine Wolinsky
Jeannine Wolinsky rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Jenny Sawyer
Jenny Sawyer rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Aburson
Aburson rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Roxane Stoner
Roxane Stoner rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Susan T.
Susan T. rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Andreen
Andreen rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2011
Christine Hung
Christine Hung rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2009
Charvet
Charvet rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2008
Agathafrye
Oct 14, 2007 Agathafrye rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: baked goods divas
Shelves: nonfiction, food, local
Macrina is the bomb. I particularly love most of the cookie recipes in this book.
Jessie
Jessie rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Jennie
Jennie rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2008
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 28, 2008